Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Linkin Park

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    fuck this band

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quit clogging up our LP space, nerds!

I won't listen to Lies Greed Misery because I'd like the rest of the album to be a surprise, but I just found out that the day Living Things comes out happens to be the first day of my vacation... daaaaang

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Hmm I'll definitely be waiting on a better quality version of that song.... not sure if i could even judge it properly as is although upon first listen I'm not too thrilled with it. :S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    LGM fucking blows. This is a terrible song.

Calm me dumb but I really enjoyed Burn It Down. I hate LGM worse than watching 8 guys fucking 9 guys.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    For shits and gigs...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I could never get into them. They sound WAY too much like Stabbing Westward, with rap and hip hop elements added. It's basically SW with a chaser for a more commercial audience. There's nothing wrong with that, Trent did the same thing with Pretty Hate Machine. The difference is Trent blew his influences (and contemporaries) out of the water, Linkin Park is just there.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    drip* drip*

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I expect to laugh hysterically or be totally bored.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    *EDIT* disregard awful first impression of album. see post below.
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 06-17-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Word. Except Powerless, I'm not fond of it.

Overall, I kinda feel it's FAR FAR FAR better than A Thousand Suns and Minutes to Midnight. I guess after 10 years, that's all that matters...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    'Lies Greed Misery' - fucking hate this retarded dubstep shit.
    Thank you for giving me my biggest laugh of the day.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I don't hate the new album, but I don't really LIKE it yet, either. It's catchy, if anything.

I'm happy that my pre-order cancelled itself (for no reason at all - I wasn't short funds in my account of anything, it just cancelled), but I'll have to give it time before I decide to go buy it or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love the new album "Living Things". I think it's one of their most diverse albums ever. Really good songs. Fuck the haters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm hearing good things about the new album, but I'll wait. Does it feel too short? I feel like 36 minutes is maybe too short.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I got 5 songs in and I am actually liking it for the most part. Very catchy indeed! Seems like a mix of everything they have done so far.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    I'm hearing good things about the new album, but I'll wait. Does it feel too short? I feel like 36 minutes is maybe too short.
    i agree with you. some of the songs are only a little over a minute long, so they lose their momentum right when you get into them. "Victimized" comes to mind as a good example. the songs would have a lot of punch if they were just a little longer.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Have they ever really had long albums? Meteora was under 40 min, I think. Possibly even Hybrid Theory. Not sure about the other two, or three.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Hybrid Theory - 37.7 minutes
    Reanimation - 60 minutes
    Meteora - 36.5 minutes
    Minutes to Midnight - 43.3 minutes
    A Thousand Suns - 47.6 minutes

I actually find it surprising that A Thousand Suns is as long as it is, i would have thought it to be way shorter considering 3 tracks under 2 minutes and 2 tracks under 1 minute which is quite fucking pathetic. They're definitely not Tool lol their longest song is The Little Things Give You Away at 6:24 and their average song length is about 3 and a half minutes.

Haven't listened to Living Things yet so not sure.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Disregard my review above.

Make fun if you see fit, but I am on my 10th listen of this disc. I fucking love this record.

Definite +'s: Lost in the Echo, In My Remains, Burn it Down, I'll Be Gone, Castle of Glass, Powerless

Starting to like Victimized but still hate Until it Breaks & LGM

Did anyone actually like A Thousand Suns? I thought both that and Minutes to Midnight were trash when they both came out but in the past 4 months in anticipation for LIVING THINGS I re-listened to both records and now have a great fondness for both albums, especially A Thousand Suns.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think that A Thousand Suns is easily their best record. Some really great tracks on there (Blackout, Robot Boy, The Messenger, When They Come For Me, The Catalyst etc.) Been listening to Living Things, and while I don't think it tops ATS, its not bad. I've put the songs in three sections:

Good:

Lost In The Echo- Badass riff, cool percussion. mike's rapping sounds intense and nice flow, while chesters hook is nice and memorable. good pick for an opener
    In My Remains- Same structure as Burn It Down, but honestly i prefer this one more. Probably gonna be a single somewhere down the line.
    Burn It Down- Strong hook
    I'll Be Gone- One of LP's most instantly catchy tracks, will also probably be a single
    Roads Untraveled- the melody here is folky, and mikes singing is pretty good here. pretty dec ballad
    Powerless- Obvious single (probably gonna be all over the airwaves in a few months from now), and probably the best ballad the band has ever done. That's not saying a whole lot, but definitely a strong song and good closer.

Mediocre:

Castle Of Glass- really promising melody by mike in the beginning but doesn't quite impress as the song continues on
    Victimized- some badass instrumentation in the latter half of the song, but is simply too short and doesn't quite justify it's alleged "punk" vibe it was going for
    Skin To Bone- just a mediocre track overall. cool beats, but kind of lame lyrics and a "meh" hook.
    Tinfoil- while its a nice little song, like Victimized, its just too short. the strings and piano sound real nice, but i was hoping they would do something cooler with it. LP has made some pretty cool instrumentals in the past (Cure For An Itch, Wisdom Justice Love, Session etc) and basically this song just acts as an extended intro to Powerless

Bad:

Lies, Greed, Misery- such a terrible, terrible hook. basically sounds like a b-side from hybrid theory with some crappy electronics surrounding it. although the songs bridge near the end is ok
    Until It Breaks- wtf is this shit. seriously. the rapping justs sounds lazy and the lyrics are stupid as shit. chesters hook sounds so fuccking cheesy. and then the song fades into a stupid lullaby-melody sung by fucking guitarist (why??). I respect experimentation a lot (after all, thats what i liked so much about A Thousand Suns) but this experiment just came out sounding like a HUGE disaster. That last minute and a half is so cringe-worthy its not even fucking funny. jesus.

overall, not a bad record. probably their 2nd best record they've done. it's not a band a have much respect for, but they've made some pretty good pop songs in their time and atleast one complete great record (a thousand suns), so thats why i will continue to follow them.

would probably give this like a 6 or a 7/10

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Anybody check out their new video for Lost in the Echo?

It's pretty cheesy but i like the ruin aesthetic to it and it's pretty neat what they did with the video where if you load up the site it's hosted on you can connect with Facebook and it'll scan certain pictures of yours and implement them into the actual pictures that the actors in the video are holding. It's cool!

http://lostintheecho.com

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I saw these guys last weekend...good show. Never liked their music much, but a great live band.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yea I saw them about two weeks ago with Incubus and they were great. Very balanced setlist and so much energy! Both bands were fantastic ( Mostly went for Incubus), but I was very happy they played QWERTY even though it was only the first half. Incubus left off with Aqueous Transmission... I don't think I was ever happier at a show when the first chord was played.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Got some photos and video from the show i saw of theirs in Calgary, it was a pretty awesome show.. lots of energy, stage presence and crowd interaction from what I've come to expect from a Linkin Park performance.

Check out my flickr photostream for more http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelastdisciple/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked the new album. The first half is really strong, and it gives me all sorts of nostalgia goosebumps, takes me right back to 2001. I didn't care for maybe two of the tracks, but that's not a bad ratio for a super-popular band on their fifth album who many people will accuse of being irrelevant. It'll definitely be on my top albums list this year. (I'll Be Gone! omg)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I completely forgot these guys are playing Soundwave in a month's time. I've seen them really live before, and they're good. I have my reservations on how they will be received by the Soundwave crowd though, particularly since they are preceding Metallica. It won't be pretty.

Anyway, this made me lol:

LIVING THINGS is co-produced by Rick Rubin (Adele, Metallica)

Of all the things Rick Rubin has produced, they choose Adele.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmya View Post

Anyway, this made me lol:

LIVING THINGS is co-produced by Rick Rubin (Adele, Metallica)

Of all the things Rick Rubin has produced, they choose Adele.
    Oh I think it's completely understandable why they chose to mention her actually. Just think about it for a moment.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yes, Linkin Park are a mainstream band and Adele appeals to the mainstream, but really? Do they really think people who buy Linkin Park are also interested in Adele?

I don't.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well they're both interested in crap music. I don't think the person who mentioned her was thinking about any appeal because essentially, there isn't any.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yep, well done. Love your work, etc.