Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundgarden

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Soundgarden

I'm shocked there's no Soundgarden thread. Shocked.

Well, anyway, I'm not even a Soundgarden fan, but I figured we have some people here who might appreciate, I don't know...their first new song in 15 years. And stuff.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Yeah I just heard this song yesterday. Was real excited to hear the first new song in 15 years... but it's crap.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    they're great, badmotorfinger is my favourite, wish there was a contemporary band of such magnitude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Am I the only one that has a problem with them tagging their songs on to other products? This song coming out with Avengers, and the last song came out with Guitar Hero. Is that not selling out?

EDIT: just heard the new song, its utter garbage. Sounds like a rejected Audioslave song.
    Last edited by PooPooMeowChow; 04-05-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Not bad, something new.... Will be interesting to see what the album is like. Supposedly very different to this.

Free download of a new version on iTunes with an extended solo.

Waiting for the new album really seeing this is more aimed at the movie. They have done music before for Soundtracks but nothing like The Avengers....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It actually is worse than an Audioslave song (I love Audioslave). Apparently in an interview Cornell has said that the album won't sound like this song. So I'm guessing it's a money-making B-side. I'm still holding out hope, but am prepared for disappointment. It doesn't really matter though, nothing will take away their back catalogue that I hold so precious. Best band ever.

Edit: Sorry read every post 'cept the one above. No one has probably thrown money at them for a single except for The Avengers too. Will it be on their album? It's pleasing that indications say no, shows that they are taking it seriously. It's a really simple song which smacks of Cornell's Carry On album, boring riff with Audioslave song structure.
    Last edited by Madmya; 04-20-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I actually don't mind the song and the free extended version with the longer solo but its nothing like their back catalog. They have stated they only got approached to do the song about a month or so ago and put something together quickly for it. I don't think it will be on the album unless its just throw in as an extra track.

I do love Black Rain but that was recorded back in the Bad Motor finger days. I'm hoping for more of the classic Cornell screams and hails...

I still have high hopes for the album...

Quote Originally Posted by Madmya View Post
    It actually is worse than an Audioslave song (I love Audioslave). Apparently in an interview Cornell has said that the album won't sound like this song. So I'm guessing it's a money-making B-side. I'm still holding out hope, but am prepared for disappointment. It doesn't really matter though, nothing will take away their back catalogue that I hold so precious. Best band ever.

Edit: Sorry read every post 'cept the one above. No one has probably thrown money at them for a single except for The Avengers too. Will it be on their album? It's pleasing that indications say no, shows that they are taking it seriously. It's a really simple song which smacks of Cornell's Carry On album, boring riff with Audioslave song structure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't know if Cornell is capable of his classic screams anymore. His voice definitely sounded worn out in any live performances I saw from him in the Audioslave days. Shame, because he used to be pretty beastly.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    I don't know if Cornell is capable of his classic screams anymore. His voice definitely sounded worn out in any live performances I saw from him in the Audioslave days. Shame, because he used to be pretty beastly.
    When you wail the way he did, eventually your voice says, "I'm sorry, man... I just can't do it anymore." What he has been doing recently has been nice when he's not strained, but I don't think we'll ever hear him scream like that again.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    When you wail the way he did, eventually your voice says, "I'm sorry, man... I just can't do it anymore." What he has been doing recently has been nice when he's not strained, but I don't think we'll ever hear him scream like that again.
    He can still scream. Check out "Songbook" (particularly "As Hope And Promise Fade" and "Call Me A Dog"). His voice is back in top form. I mean, it's never going to be like "Jesus Christ Pose" in 1990 at the Paramount. But clean living has done him well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    That's exactly what I mean. The reunion show proved he can hit those notes again, he just can't do it the same way that he used to (i.e. "Jesus Christ Pose"). Example video:

Hearing that first wail gave me chills the first time I heard it.

Edit: And the "Black Rain" performance on Conan:
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 04-21-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

New song!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    finally! It's alright yeh but hard to judge with 35 seconds.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm just glad it doesn't sound generic. Excite!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Love it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm ready for the radio rip today...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tracklisting:

Been Away Too Long
    Non-State Actor
    By Crooked Steps
    A Thousand Days Before
    Blood On The Valley Floor
    Bones of Birds
    Taree
    Attrition
    Black Saturday
    Halfway There
    Worse Dreams
    Eyelid’s Mouth
    Rowing

Deluxe edition bonus tracks:
    Spoonman (Fiera De Milano, June 4, 2012)
    Black Hole Sun (Fiera De Milano, June 4, 2012)
    Rusty Cage (Fiera De Milano, June 4, 2012)

The general consensus is that the song in the trailer is 'Rowing', purely from the lyrics you hear in the background.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I guess the new song was supposed to come out tomorrow, and not yesterday. My bad...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    must say the Deluxe bonus tracks are kinda disappointing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I guess the new song was supposed to come out tomorrow, and not yesterday. My bad...
    Digital version will be released next week.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Supposedly radio stations can start playing it tomorrow. We'll see...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Just crossing my fingers this isn't as mediocre as the Avengers track... (or Cornell's "Scream" for that matter...)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Disappointed about the deluxe songs too, we've heard live versions of those songs a million times in various forms... yawn.

Quietly confident it won't be like the Avengers track, Chris has kinda said that it was a throw away song without actually saying it. But we'll see. The teasers don't suggest generic songs.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Delayed for a week

Everyone has been calling, texting, and emailing from all over the world, asking about the new Soundgarden song "Been Away Too Long". Mike Hsu and I had a chance to hear it last week, and once we sent out a few tweets about it... the questions started. Well, we were told that it was coming sometime this week, but that has changed. Bands have to be ready to launch a new song. They need to have it up online for purchase, because they know that once it gets played on the radio, if it's good, you guys will want to buy it right away. And trust me, you'll want to buy this new Soundgarden. Well, I guess the song hasn't been uploaded to all of the online music sites in time to release it this week, so they have delayed the release until next Thursday 9/27. So, until then... here is the press release with all of the details on the album, and a video teaser to hold you over.

http://www.waaf.com/More-details-on-...803?pid=266436

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is out on Mexican iTunes, but here is a snippet...

http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/120/...nzwi.aac.p.m4a

I got this from Grunge Report.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah not bad. The last half of the song is awesome, just not a huge fan of the stop start stuff at the start. Still hyped for the album!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    wow...that was really really boring. i'm very disappointed. still waiting for something new from them that actually kicks some butt.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The song's grown on me a lot. That bridge is awesome.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It's not bad... Cornell's voice weirds me out a bit, though, as he sounds like he's straining a bit to hit some notes.