Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundgarden

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I'm going to have to get that, it's already such a great soundtrack. The MOVIE hasn't aged very well - I watched it again a few months ago and cringed WAY more at the script and acting by Sedgwick and Scott, although I still like Fonda's and Dillion's roles and performances - but the soundtrack is still really good.
    The reissue is fucking awesome. I was so happy with the bonus content, even the live versions of songs on the original soundtrack sound great. The six Cornell songs are the highlight, but really everything is great. There is a Paul Westerberg instrumental called "Lost in Emily's Woods" and another Cornell score which are also great. Liner notes, the original Citizen Dick review, cool photos. It's a must have for any fan of the 90's/grunge scene.

As for the movie, I agree it's dated and not great, but I really liked it. I actually liked Sedgwick and Scott the best. They seemed very real to me.

"We had good times, bad times, but we had times." Sounds like something I would say. I like it because it's clunky and awkward, but sounds real. Like you are trying to say something deep but it comes out all stupid. As much as I fucking love Cary Grant, he's not exactly someone whom I can relate to, whereas I could relate to Scott's character trying to pour his heart out in a less than eloquent way.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-21-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Birth Ritual is a gem! His screaming of the chorus is almost cartoonish, but still amazing. That was the beginning of that five-year period where everything Soundgarden did was pretty much solid gold..
    I like how the Singles soundtrack gives us both the metalic "Birth Ritual" and the Led Zeppelin III-esque "Seasons," two very different sides to Chris Cornell. Chris Cornell recorded five songs for the movie, known as the Poncier EP. "Seasons" is the only one that made the original soundtrack, the other four are part of the deluxe edition.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    As for the movie, I agree it's dated and not great, but I really liked it. I actually liked Sedgwick and Scott the best. They seemed very real to me.

"We had good times, bad times, but we had times." Sounds like something I would say. I like it because it's clunky and awkward, but sounds real. Like you are trying to say something deep but it comes out all stupid. As much as I fucking love Cary Grant, he's not exactly someone whom I can relate to, whereas I could relate to Scott's character trying to pour his heart out in a less than eloquent way.
    I dunno, I saw it back then when it was released and, even then, both Scott's and Sedgwick's characters seemed really wooden and full-of-shit (especially Sedgwick; like her character had really EVER heard Hendrix' "Waterfall" before, gag) neither of them seemed like people who would have actually inhabited Seattle grunge bars; they were like the typical over-achieving 20-somethings that grunge hated. Except maybe when Scott's character had an existential crisis about his career. Those two characters reminded me of this NY Times piece where the author totally fell for a bunch of "Grunge Speak" crap:

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/15/st...ted=all&src=pm

Honestly, though, I always fucking hated "Friends" on TV, too, I was waiting for the episode where they all got blown up in a tragic coffeehouse bombing incident.

Matt Dillon's "Singles" character really made and makes me laugh, though. And the guy with the garage door opener.

Last edited by allegro; 05-21-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I dunno, I saw it back then when it was released and, even then, both Campbell's and Sedgewick's characters seemed really wooden and full-of-shit; neither of them seemed like people who would have actually inhabited Seattle grunge bars; they were like the typical over-achieving 20-somethings that grunge hated. Grunge was this simple, 2-chord, loser-loving, flannel-wearing simplicity. Those two characters reminded me of this NY Times piece where the author totally fell for a bunch of "Grunge Speak" crap:

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/15/st...ted=all&src=pm

Honestly, though, I always fucking hated "Friends" on TV, too, I was waiting for the episode where they all got blown up in a tragic coffeehouse bombing incident.
    You know that the show Friends was loosely based on Singles? I thought the movie was more about the relationships between the characters and the grunge scene was just in the background. I do know Kurt Cobain hated it.

ETA--I hated Friends too until a 90's nostalgia bug got to me. It can be pretty hilarious, that sarcastic Chandler!
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-21-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    You know that the show Friends was loosely based on Singles?
    ETA--I hated Friends too until a 90's nostalgia bug got to me. It can be pretty hilarious, that sarcastic Chandler!
    1. Yes, that's why I mentioned it. Hate it still. The only people I knew who watched "Friends" regularly back then were young snotty lawyers. Meanwhile, I was more into "Beavis & Butthead." :-)

2. NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The one-bathroom in the club scene: TOTALLY realistic.

Last edited by allegro; 05-21-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    1. Yes, that's why I mentioned it. Hate it still. The only people I knew who watched "Friends" regularly back then were young snotty lawyers. Meanwhile, I was more into "Beavis & Butthead." :-)

2. NOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    I always hated that show, hated it, and felt contempt for anyone who liked it, which was everyone I knew. I feel the show ran its course about two-thirds through and was on way too long, but those early years, especially, take me back to my teen years, the 90's, so I have a soft spot for Friends, although I would probably agree with you on most of the reasons why you would hate it. And I really think it was occasionally funny.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I always hated that show, hated it, and felt contempt for anyone who liked it, which was everyone I knew. I feel the show ran its course about two-thirds through and was on way too long, but those early years, especially, take me back to my teen years, the 90's, so I have a soft spot for Friends, although I would probably agree with you on most of the reasons why you would hate it. And I really think it was occasionally funny.
    The only "funny" character on there, to me, was Phoebe. She seemed to hate the rest of them as much as I did. And, THIS:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The only "funny" character on there, to me, was Phoebe. She seemed to hate the rest of them as much as I did. And, THIS:
    I always liked this scene:

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I'm not embarrassed to admit that I know almost every line in singles by heart. It was my favorite movie when I was 14. I watched it over and over because of Eddie vedder and Chris Cornell. I just read today that Crowe wanted Cornell to play Cliff.

ETA that i think Cornell as cliff wouldn't have been as good or funny and douchey as Matt Dillon.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Eddie Vedder and PJ were so dorky in that restaurant scene LOL.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Eddie Vedder and PJ were so dorky in that restaurant scene LOL.
    "A compliment for us is a compliment for you."

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    "A compliment for us is a compliment for you."
    LOL LOL!! We've obviously all seen this movie MANY times!!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I still like that movie. I don't care necessarily care whether or not the characters seem realistic. I think it has some really funny shit in it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    LOL LOL!! We've obviously all seen this movie MANY times!!
    "Not just a train....a super train. Give the people good coffee and good music...."

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    So I'm not the only one who's got it memorized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Saw this blog post about the loss of Cornell and thought it was very well put.

Also, does anybody have the official stream of their 2014 iTunes Festival show where they played Superunknown in its entirety? If so, can you please PM me? Thanks...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Saw this blog post about the loss of Cornell and thought it was very well put.

Also, does anybody have the official stream of their 2014 iTunes Festival show where they played Superunknown in its entirety? If so, can you please PM me? Thanks...
    thanks, that's a great write up, so well explained.

can i have a pm about the live set too, please, thanks lots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    "Flutter Girl," the 1992 version from The Poncier EP:

This is the 1999 version from Euphoria Morning/Mourning:

Like both, but I prefer the original version.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The original is amazing....

I like it better than the solo album version as well.
    I really liked his first solo album though.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    2nd best cover I've seen since Cornell's passing (really liked Ryan Adams' musical interpetation of Black Hole Sun):

When Corey gets choked up I lost it a bit. All these poor guys who were friends with Chris...this has gotta be just the worst.

Something a little different:

Also youtube suggested this for me last night...never knew this happened. Pretty cool:

Went down the rabbit hole a bit after watch that, and discovered that Chester is the godfather to one of Chris Cornell's children. wtf man. They've apparently been dedicating the title track off their new awful album to him.

This isn't getting any easier or better for me yet.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Its the thought that counts. I dont care how bad oml is, i only care about the thought

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    April 2017 comments about the 7th album:

SOUNDGARDEN's Chris Cornell spoke to The Pulse Of Radio last week about the status of the band's next studio album. "[I'm] not really sure," he said. "I mean, I think we're kind of halfway through. We haven't really recorded anything, so we're just sort of working on ideas. I think we have about half the songs we need for an album. But you never know. We tend to make pretty long albums. At some point when we feel like we're done, five more songs show up at the doorstep."
    Guitarist Kim Thayil was also asked about the new SOUNDGARDEN album by Philadelphia radio station WMMR, to which he replied: "There's some things that have been documented in rehearsal, there's some things that are at the demo stage, there are some that are still in the developmental stage, ideas that we jammed on that we're kind of working out arrangements for. Every different stage within the process of songwriting is being addressed at this point."

I wonder if we will ever seen any of this stuff....

I thought I was getting over this news but today I'm worse than ever

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So I've been revisiting Audioslave's albums and seeing if I still feel the same as I did before...and I do. I like the debut best, followed by Revelations, then Out of Exile.

Apparently Revelations was majorly panned and on Metacritic, 'Out of Exile' scores the highest of the 3! That baffles me b/c it sounds like a less inspired, softer version of the first album while Revelations sounded like a band finally reaching cohesion and their own sound. Songs like "Revelations," "Broken City" and "Wide Awake" are to me among their best tunes.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The song "Moth" on Revelations is among the best vocal performances of Chris' career. There are a couple throwaways on that record ("Somedays", "Jewel Of The Summertime", etc.), but it's still my favorite of the three. The first half of their debut is pretty much flawless and then the last 4 or 5 songs are totally unmemorable. Out Of Exile is worth the price of admission for "Dandelion" alone.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    The song "Moth" on Revelations is among the best vocal performances of Chris' career. There are a couple throwaways on that record ("Somedays", "Jewel Of The Summertime", etc.), but it's still my favorite of the three. The first half of their debut is pretty much flawless and then the last 4 or 5 songs are totally unmemorable. Out Of Exile is worth the price of admission for "Dandelion" alone.
    Hell yeah. I remember finding this extended version on an FTP server back before the album came out, apparently it was on some promo EP? Anyway.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Looks like we're not getting anything by way of a new Soundgarden album, if they hadn't even recorded anything by the time of Chris's passing. That's a major bummer. And I can't imagine after the Echoes of Miles boxset and the clearing house deluxe sets for Badmotorfinger and Superunknown that there would be much of anything left in the vaults that hasn't already been heard or released.

The only thing I could see working would be for the other three to pair up with the Temple of the Dog guys to do some kind of album in honor of Chris the way they did for Andrew Wood, with the stuff they were messing around on for the King Animal follow-up as a kind of foundation..

Agree about 'Moth', that's such a badass song. Revelations was unfairly slept-on at the time of its release; people were too comfortable with the novelty of Audioslave by that point. A shame because that album was where they were really starting to come into their own. 'Until We Fall' is a hidden gem in Cornell's discography.
    Sounds like they weren't really past the demoing phase when Chris died. If they have some raw demos with Chris on vocals, it would be nice to see those released, to see where the band was headed. I'm glad we got King Animal though.

Soundgarden's final show--5/17/17

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I always loved Audioslave and never quite understood why they got the hate that they did. Did people just expect more or what?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I always loved Audioslave and never quite understood why they got the hate that they did. Did people just expect more or what?
    People like to complain. I liked them and thought that they got better with each album. Revelations was a really good album, and the band really jelled and was getting interesting. But by then, three albums into the project, people seemed to lose interest and, like most supergroups, Audioslave ran their course.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Watching clips/youtube of the last show he just doesn't seem to be totally himself.
    It seems like something is already wrong.

I've seen Soundgarden live many times and Chris Cornell's Acoutic shows and it looks like he is not singing any of the words or putting his heart into it like I have seen on his other live performances and gigs. It just feels like he is not their or himself. It makes me really sad watching it.

I understand he was taking some medication but I guess no one expected this to happen.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Soundgarden’s music did much more for me, but to some degree I preferred Chris’s vocal performances with Audioslave. Is that weird? But yeah, for me Audioslave was easily one of the better rock acts to come from the 2000s decade.

It’s sickening to see these guys dropping like this. Voices that provided the soundtrack of my youth have been disappearing too fast. It’s a little scary when the things you’ve always associated with your youth begin to make you seriously reflect on aging and mortality. Why does it seem to end in such fucked up ways? What is it?