Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Atari Teenage Riot

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Atari Teenage Riot

So who all here really likes ATR? Been a pretty big fan for years now, and I've gotten the opportunity to interview Alec Empire for the site that I write for and am geeking out pretty hard. So with that said, does anybody here have any questions that they'd like to see answered?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Probably the obvious question, would he ever be interested in working with TR. I know they both had talked about it in the past. Seemed like around the 97-2000 era it might happen, but seemed like a lot of things where maybe going to happen during those days. I’ve been fan for a long while too. Glad to see they are having some success becoming relevant again, moving their sound a little bit forward and focusing their brand of anarchy and protest on the net.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    A collaboration with TR is what comes to my mind also, ever since they did that gig together in Munich in 2007 after such a long time. That was great and I was kinda dissapointed that nothing really came together. Not even a Year Zero remix. But maybe there were plans... At least Alec mentions TR a lot in interviews etc.

Other than that I'm quite a big fan, but what annoys me is the way Alec Empire is advertising stuff. If you follow his Facebook or Twitter he is constantly repeating himself over and over while IMHO overestimating certain topics. Pretty much no one knows them here in Germany and I tend to get asked alot whenever I got an ATR shirt on.
    I'd be far more interested in him musically and especially his work ethics together with Nic Endo. Or what he has to say about other artists and production. But I guess politics are his trademark so he will stick to that.
    On the other hand he's a nice guy. Got to talk to him backstage in 2008 and he was pretty laid back and open for jokes etc. Have fun with your interview!

I like his solo stuff (futurist and intelligence & sacrifice) a bit more than ATR tough.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Thanks, I'll definitely ask him that. I also plan on asking about how he gave all the Sony Commercial money to Anonymous, and if that was his plan all along when lending the tune to them. I'm also pretty interested in knowing what he likes listening to outside of industrial techno stuff.

I'm super excited that I get to interview him because I'd come to terms with the fact that ATR won't ever and has no reason to ever play in KC, so to actually get to interact with him is phenomenal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Did you go to the Chicago show in 2010, I thought I remember you from old ETS going, but not sure? I would like to know his stance on music distribution, I remember a few years ago him giving TR a hard time on free music, but I understand where Alec was/is coming from. The Anonymous thing is a cool question. Also thank him for bringing back the “classic” ATR shirt to their web store.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    When my friends started getting into raves and stupid dubstep I started breaking out the Atari Teenage Riot at parties. I guess I'm the only person around here who likes to pound down on some molly and rave out to the sweet sounds of digital hardcore... fucking pussies.

So yeah I guess I do really like Atari Teenage Riot. That comeback album last year wasn't bad either.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViN View Post
    I guess I'm the only person around here who likes to pound down on some molly and rave out to the sweet sounds of digital hardcore... fucking pussies.
    did you seriously just write that?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I swear back in the day, someone said Alec Empire had done a remix of Starfuckers (but I mean, who hasn't, right?) but someone asked him about it at some point, and he said that didn't happen.

Years ago (2005?), he had some kind of open audition kinda thing to do what I can probably best describe as 'his personal fansite' - separate from ATR, about what he does, but not necessarily run by him directly. I threw my name in the hat, we emailed a couple times (he had hotmail, I was kinda 'wtf?') but despite my sweet design, I didn't get the gig. Probably for the best - I didn't have time, and my design wasn't really that sweet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    did you seriously just write that?
    Yeah I did. What the fuck is with ETS and everyone being an insufferable sarcastic smartass?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    So who all here really likes ATR? Been a pretty big fan for years now, and I've gotten the opportunity to interview Alec Empire for the site that I write for and am geeking out pretty hard. So with that said, does anybody here have any questions that they'd like to see answered?
    Did you do this interview yet? If so I'd love to read it! If not, I would definitely ask about the future of ATR and if he intends to continue. In this political climate his/their music is certainly pertinent. I would also ask about the shows they played in places like Berlin, Mexico and Greece. It would be really interesting to see what he thought of the crowds at those shows and if he felt there is capacity for real change in those places. Lastly, Alec discusses the Sony thing here http://riotnews.tumblr.com/ but not sure if that completely covers your question.

I attended the Echo show in LA and I must say Rowdy Superstar is a better fit than CX. ATR is the only reason I'm looking forward to Coachella!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Not yet. I'm working on it. The guy that runs the site that I wrote for has kind of dropped the ball on it. The original time we were supposed to do it got postponed because Alec had family plans or something and I've been trying to get my guy to reschedule it with Alec's people but he's been busy with other shit. I'm still working on it though. Kind of frustrating.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Incendiary Lover View Post
    ATR is the only reason I'm looking forward to Coachella!
    Tell me, was it good because I just don't have the ear for it and walked on by.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Saw this group support Nine Inch Nails at Brixton Academy in London in November 1999. It was their last gig and last with Carl Crack. They made a live record of it called live at Brixton 1999.
    They decided to just go on stage play no songs and make the most unbelievable abrasive loud white noise for 30 minutes. 5000 people watching including David Bowie, at the majorly sold out Brixton some who had queued all day waiting for NIN's first UK show since 1994, wanting to hear the then just released Fragile, you can imagine the vibe.... having to endure that.... The group were having a sort of breakdown. At the time during the gig everyone was so pissed and thought it was the worst thing ever. I downloaded the C.D a few years ago and it sounded much better than i remember.
    But at the time it was so awful and i could not wait for it to be over. Never forget the security guys face at the venue, one of them turned around and just glared angrily at the band for ages he really wanted to pick a fight, people screaming for it to end and telling them to fuck off...god it was so bad......I liked them before that gig!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ^^^
    hahaha sounds like it was really painful, especially for fragile NIN fans

saw ATR in NYC last week, they were amazing!
    I was never into them before, went to the concert just because I was in town and because they (and Alec Empire solo) opened for NIN back in a day, and they totally blew me away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dra508 yes it was a good set. The Echo show was better, most likely because everyone was there for ATR. Still, there was a lot of energy in the crowd and a pretty good pit at Coachella even if it was a little thin. Their set coincided with the Black Keys and there was something in Sahara, but I cant think of anyone I'd rather see at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Saw this group support Nine Inch Nails at Brixton Academy in London in November 1999. It was their last gig and last with Carl Crack.
    In my fan girl imagination that show is opposite what you have described. Silly of course, because they were breaking down... Carl Psychologically but there were other issues as well. I recall being super bummed upon finding out ATR would not be the opener for Fragility 2.0. Waited 10 years to see them live after that!

Acidpolly I heard the NY show was epic- did you get pulled onto the stage?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Acidpolly I heard the NY show was epic- did you get pulled onto the stage?
    I didn't dare also I didn't dare to shake Alec's hand that like everyone in the first rows could do and now I regret about it
    The show really was epic! The crowd was pretty small (Tuesday night, next day after last-tax-declaration-day) so Alec said at some point "I feel like I know every single one of you"

here's an article about the show
    http://read.mtvhive.com/2012/04/19/a...o-new-york/#/4
    Last edited by acidpolly; 04-24-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidpolly View Post
    I didn't dare also I didn't dare to shake Alec's hand that like everyone in the first rows could do and now I regret about it...
    Hopefully you will get another chance soon! They are working on new material and are still on tour. I believe Alec mentioned more touring in the fall, but I cant recall where so don't quote me on that.
    Alec is a really nice guy and totally approachable. When possible he hangs out post show to chat with fans. Nic Endo is also very amiable, if a little shy. So if you do have the opportunity to see them again and still would like some face time (even if its just a quick 'hello I dig your work') stick around for a bit afterwards. Smaller bands usually appreciate the kind words!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Last time I saw ATR they were playing with Add N to X. Feels like it was around 10 years ago or so. Totally bizarre show. Alec was really chatty during their set, and at one point he said "We have come here for one reason and one reason only: to incite violent revolution against your capitalist American government!" I'm not sure if he meant it to be a joke, but it took a while for the audience to stop laughing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm angry I had to miss the NYC show, but money is too tight these days unfortunately. I love the new album, though. Does anyone know when CX left? It seems like there was no formal announcement - I just remember clicking a link, and seeing a bunch of pictures of Alec and Nic posing with some new dude that wasn't CX. Maybe he's just taking a break to tour with Saul Williams? I don't know. I thought he made an awesome addition.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Atr are great but for me nothing beats his intelligence and sacrifice album... More brutal than any death metal

if the interview happens id be interested to know what AE thinks of the curent rise of the far right in europe and the occupy movement

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hopefully you will get another chance soon! They are working on new material and are still on tour. I believe Alec mentioned more touring in the fall, but I cant recall where so don't quote me on that. Alec is a really nice guy and totally approachable. When possible he hangs out post show to chat with fans. Nic Endo is also very amiable, if a little shy. So if you do have the opportunity to see them again and still would like some face time (even if its just a quick 'hello I dig your work') stick around for a bit afterwards. Smaller bands usually appreciate the kind words!
    yeah I will definitely have another chance - after a few days I realized the fascination doesn't go away and bought tickets to two ATR Berlin shows in October
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    if the interview happens id be interested to know what AE thinks of the curent rise of the far right in europe and the occupy movement
    didn't read anything about far right but as for Occupy movement just check out the latest version of video for "Black Flags"
    Last edited by acidpolly; 04-29-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Atr are great but for me nothing beats his intelligence and sacrifice album... More brutal than any death metal

Yesterday in Munich he spoke about how "Hetzjagd auf Nazis!" was written a long time ago when far rights were setting fire to asylums and that he realized while going through the media today the song is still as "relevant" now as it was back then. That's why they included it into their setlists again.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yeah i know the authorities keep more of a lid on it in DE but in the UK and France the far right is getting scarily big, early 90s all over again :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Remastered versions of their first couple albums are now up on Bandcamp. Tempted to buy them but I'll have to listen to more samples first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have loved atr and alec empire for years however my conversations with him were much less positive. He basically went on a rant about how all breakcore after 1998 is shit and made by morons. As a breakcore producer i found this a little bit offensive so i tried to engage him in dialogue and he just kept repeating the same bullshit sentences. Totally came off as a complete full of himself rockstar. Couple of mates have played shows with atr as well and sadly said the same thing about alec but apparently nic's lovely!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    The other night, I started streaming the remasters off bandcamp, and before I went to bed, I had bought two tshirts from the Hellish Vortex.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Actually a bit late, but no-one has mentioned this yet nonetheless - new tour dates/new album set to be released this year. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staleincense View Post
    Actually a bit late, but no-one has mentioned this yet nonetheless - new tour dates/new album set to be released this year. Thoughts?
    They've been posting that a new album is coming for a while now. Looking forward to it, whenever it comes out.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    looking forward to it
    quite enjoyed Is This Hyperreal?
    maybe i'll get to see 'em live this time around

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    looking forward to it
    quite enjoyed Is This Hyperreal?
    maybe i'll get to see 'em live this time around
    They've announced that they are playing in London, so I should hopefully get to see them!