Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Janelle Monáe

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Janelle Monáe

She's. So. Awesome.

Listened to all three Metropolis suites of her (the first is on her EP, the other two on her LP) last night. Blew my mind. She has an amazing voice and the production on her records is superb. The songs with Saul Williams (she appeared on his latest LP Volcanic Sunlight, too) and Big Boi are killer.

She's going to release an instrumental version of Archandroid, as well as TWO records! Wow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just here to spread the love. Janelle is a stellar musician, artist and performer - god knows how rare it is to be able to do all three. I hope her music and her image lead at least a few people here to investigate more R&B, as the genre is going through a fascinating transitional phase right now. Here's "Tightrope", ft. Big Boi.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I don't really listen to her music, but I'm just here to point out how odd it is that she's from the same city as me, and virtually NO ONE talks about her here. She had a show at a theater here last year, and I don't even think it sold out. Weird.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    She's badass. I saw her open up for Of Montreal and she killed it. I'm surprised after two Grammy performances that she hasn't blown up. She can dance, she can sing, she's just a classic performer, but more in line with James Brown or Otis Redding than any other female counterpart.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I don't really listen to her music, but I'm just here to point out how odd it is that she's from the same city as me, and virtually NO ONE talks about her here. She had a show at a theater here last year, and I don't even think it sold out. Weird.
    Local bands stay local bands for a reason. When someone goes national, they're usually on a different path from the get-go.

The Archandroid is one of the best albums, full stop. I was impressed by her music, but I got goosebumps when I watched video of her live performances. I'm looking forward to catching her live someday, although I'm a little bit sad I missed out on her smaller, more rock-n-roll style shows. Incredible talent, with really great taste.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Caught her show in Vancouver the last time she rolled through and she definitely delivered. As for the local thing, that goes for every genre. I know acts from here that are pretty renowned (i.e. Devin Townsend) that couldn't sell out the Commodore downtown but overseas and in other cities they're massive.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    LOVE Janelle Monae, and I can't wait for more. This might sound like a bit of a weird comparison, but to me she's sort of like the Ween of pop.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    LOVE Janelle Monae, and I can't wait for more. This might sound like a bit of a weird comparison, but to me she's sort of like the Ween of pop.
    In terms of being successful at genre hopping, absolutely.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I liked The Archandroid, but for me it did a little too much genre hopping and reproduction of recognizable sounds: hope to see more of Janelle Monae's own sound and identity in the future. She's obviously hugely talented. I wonder if her queer/androgynous persona and refusal to play the traditional sexy card hasn't got in the way of her being bigger in the mainstream.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    been listening to metropolis a lot lately. it's weird to think i saw her perform the whole thing in the airport marriott basement in los angeles. i knew she'd end up a powerhouse.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    "make me feel" is SO FUNKY. and she kinda, sorta came out this past week?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    "make me feel" is SO FUNKY. and she kinda, sorta came out this past week?
    Have you noticed how much it rips off Kiss, by Prince? Very disappointing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Newman View Post
    Have you noticed how much it rips off Kiss, by Prince? Very disappointing.
    Umm.. because the song was actually co-written by Prince?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    To add a little bit, I discovered Janelle Monae because of Prince.
    I'm a massive fan of Prince, and Lenka Paris confirmed that Make Me Feel is based on a groove (a synth melody) that Prince had years ago. He gave it to her, and I like what she has done with it.
    She's one of the listenable "popular" music artists, which is extremely rare nowadays and I appreciate that. Looking forward to the new album. It's been 5 years!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Just finished my first listen of Dirty Computer! Pretty damn great. Nowhere near as in your face as the singles suggest, which I think is a good thing (a whole album of that might be a bit much). She's coming to LA on June 28th; I'm planning on being there and dancing my face off!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    you'll have a fucking blast. she is a FORCE on stage.

really excited to hear this album (waiting until tomorrow) and so proud of her for coming out the way she did.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    holy shit, this album is a beast. so fucking sublime. easily my favorite record of the year so far. it rivals born this way, just feels so good, every track.

this is after three full listens. it's one of those albums that you're sad to know eventually ends. start it over. just amazing.
    Last edited by kel; 04-27-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I listen to dirty computer on repeat while my kids are at school. School's out in a week. NOOOOOO

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Caught her show in Portland this week. Run, don’t walk to see her tour this summer. Unreal. She’s a supernova and Dirty Computer is a BLAST live!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Come_Reptile View Post
    Caught her show in Portland this week. Run, don’t walk to see her tour this summer. Unreal. She’s a supernova and Dirty Computer is a BLAST live!
    I can’t wait to see her in Atlanta in August.