Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 129

Thread: pretty eight machine - chiptune tribute album by Inverse Phase

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    2,241
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I finally blogged about this - http://jmtd.net/log/p8m/ - sorry for the delay!

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,229
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    spotted in the new bandcamp blog post about their updated embeddable players!


  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    This was pretty sweet. Wish they wouldn't have just taken a screenshot so people could click and listen....but I imagine anyone that reads it at all will google it anyhow. Also just plain awesome to get mentioned by jeb.

    By the way, might as well mention for anyone wanting to watch the Special Edition come together (or if you happen to be into photography and image manipulation and want to help), I started a thread over here to get some work done on the booklet:
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...re-IP-projects

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Ok, thread bump time....

    Anyone that is interested, I need your help. The Special Edition audio is done. I'm a little flustered on how I should arrange the tracks and would like some suggestions. I want to get this out and done. The tracks featured as bonuses P8M SE, my current ordering of them, and their new punny titles are as follows:

    - Now I'm Nothing / Terrible Lie: ______________ / InSIDious Lie
    - Something I Can Never Have: Something Else You Never Had
    - Purest Feeling: ______________
    - Maybe Just Once: Maybe Just Ones.... (and zeroes)
    - Get Down Make Love: ______________

    I had originally joked that Get Down Make Love should be called "Get Done Make Love" but that's not really a nerd pun. If anyone has any ideas for the remaining tracks that'd be sweet, also I'm interested in what you think of this track order. Naturally the entirety of P8M regular edition precedes all of this.

    Thanks in advance!

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,825
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Now I'm NULLing
    Vertice spilling (an actual programming term)
    Get Down Make Overtones

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Hmmm, not bad, not sure if those are what I'm looking for, feel free to keep 'em coming =]

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InversePhase View Post

    - Now I'm Nothing / Terrible Lie: ______________ / InSIDious Lie
    - Something I Can Never Have: Something Else You Never Had
    - Purest Feeling: ______________
    - Maybe Just Once: Maybe Just Ones.... (and zeroes)
    - Get Down Make Love: ______________
    Now I'm Nodelist
    Variable Lie or Parallel Lie or Peripheral Lie
    Shorthand I Can Never Have or Shellscripts I Can Never Have or Substring I Can Never Have
    Proxy Feeling or Process Feeling or Prolog Feeling
    Get Down Make Code

    Maybe?

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,106
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InversePhase View Post
    Ok, thread bump time....

    Anyone that is interested, I need your help. The Special Edition audio is done. I'm a little flustered on how I should arrange the tracks and would like some suggestions. I want to get this out and done. The tracks featured as bonuses P8M SE, my current ordering of them, and their new punny titles are as follows:

    - Now I'm Nothing / Terrible Lie: ______________ / InSIDious Lie
    - Something I Can Never Have: Something Else You Never Had
    - Purest Feeling: ______________
    - Maybe Just Once: Maybe Just Ones.... (and zeroes)
    - Get Down Make Love: ______________
    "Now I'm 0b0"?

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,957
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Now I'm Null
    (oops. Just saw wizfan's. there's two votes for you.)

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback, and feel free to submit more if you think of them. Still looking for the perfect ones to use.

    Also, what do you think of the order?

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,364
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Bit Down Make Love?

    No, that's horrible. Don't use that one.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,998
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Are there plans to make any of the other albums in 8-bit chiptune form? I think Year Zero would work really well and maybe even The Downward Spiral. Would love to hear those in this style.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chekhov, Russia
    Posts
    1,986
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Get DOOM Make WOLF3D (with PC-speaker samples from DOS games)

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Are there plans to make any of the other albums in 8-bit chiptune form? I think Year Zero would work really well and maybe even The Downward Spiral. Would love to hear those in this style.
    I'm probably doing Downward Spiral next, though I will be collaborating with some other chiptuners to produce a "rulebreaker chip" version of the Broken EP. No hate on YZ, though, I often listen to it on long trips.

    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Bit Down Make Love?
    No, that's horrible. Don't use that one.
    I liked your post just to scare you into thinking I was going to use it.

    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Get DOOM Make WOLF3D (with PC-speaker samples from DOS games)
    Hahaha. Unfortunately, the track is already made (it's NES+Atari 2600)...but that gives me an idea...

    What does everyone think of "Get Pong, Breakout"?

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry I am not nearly creative enough to think of tune titles, but my question is this: when and how can we get the Special Edition?

    I bought the first release on CD. Won't mind buying it again to get these extra tracks.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    That's ok Cheesemaster, the three blanks have now been filled! Thanks to everyone that participated in the brainstorming...that was helpful!

    I posted a Kickstarter update on that with a pic of my SE cases (so far): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...a/posts/848228

    To answer your question / reiterate from my earlier post, the SE will not be sold physically, it was only available to kickstarter backers; it was the one thing I kept exclusive. That said, you'll still be able to get the entire thing (in MP3 or FLAC) via download, and it will still contain all of the artwork, a PDF booklet, etc. And I'm still considering releasing the SE tracks on their own on some other physical medium, but it really depends on licensing.

    Speaking of, one story that has begun but not ended is the even weirder story of "how do I license Now I'm Nothing, Purest Feeling, and Maybe Just Once" since they have never been released by any official/commercial means...once I figure it out, I'll be sharing, but until then I'm in a "contact maze".

    I'll try to keep everyone posted in this thread as I make progress.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InversePhase View Post
    To answer your question / reiterate from my earlier post, the SE will not be sold physically, it was only available to kickstarter backers; it was the one thing I kept exclusive. That said, you'll still be able to get the entire thing (in MP3 or FLAC) via download, and it will still contain all of the artwork, a PDF booklet, etc. And I'm still considering releasing the SE tracks on their own on some other physical medium, but it really depends on licensing.
    Thank-you, this is all I needed to hear.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    rear stickers on their way to me, booklet complete and sent off to a printer, SHIT GETTING DONE

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    If you already have P8M, you can preorder the Special Edition tracks now at bandcamp:
    http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/alb...hine-se-tracks

    If you do NOT have P8M and want the SE, please follow me here:
    ldr.fm/a/3BRu2

    If you want a physical copy, the only merch outlet I have is either direct (hit me at a show or something) or bandcamp.

    iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Pandora to follow.

    There will be a 20-page digital booklet featuring art from ETS'er @katara with the Bandcamp, Loudr, and iTunes downloads.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    533
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InversePhase View Post
    If you already have P8M, you can preorder the Special Edition tracks now at bandcamp:
    http://inversephase.bandcamp.com/alb...hine-se-tracks
    Actually got the email from Bandcamp before I saw this here. Got all excited to hear the new songs, didn't realize you were making us wait a week. You tricky devil. Still, pre-ordering now, and very excited!

    I missed it if it was explained, what's the new version of Something I Can Never Have? Just a different take?

  21. #81
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Actually got the email from Bandcamp before I saw this here. Got all excited to hear the new songs, didn't realize you were making us wait a week. You tricky devil. Still, pre-ordering now, and very excited!
    Argh! Sorry about that. Wait, so do you already have the regular edition then? Because the "complete" version's first 10 tracks are the same as the regular edition, you didn't make any mistake by preordering the SE in that case.

    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    I missed it if it was explained, what's the new version of Something I Can Never Have? Just a different take?
    I'm not sure I've explained it. If you listen to Something You Didn't Ever Have, you'll notice there's not really any bass. It's a limitation of the sound chip I did it on. However, there's another sound chip that sounds similar to it that *does* have bass, and also its own set of limitations (for example, there's no separate channel for whitenoise). Anyway, to make a long story short, one of my backers requested that I port the code from the first chip to the second chip, and I'm a sucker for a challenge. It sounds mostly the same, but some people will undoubtedly prefer one over the other.

  22. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InversePhase View Post
    I'm not sure I've explained it. If you listen to Something You Didn't Ever Have, you'll notice there's not really any bass. It's a limitation of the sound chip I did it on. However, there's another sound chip that sounds similar to it that *does* have bass, and also its own set of limitations (for example, there's no separate channel for whitenoise). Anyway, to make a long story short, one of my backers requested that I port the code from the first chip to the second chip, and I'm a sucker for a challenge. It sounds mostly the same, but some people will undoubtedly prefer one over the other.
    Thus the difference is made between yourself (a dedicated musician) and someone such as say... anyone who is in a Top40 countdown whose music, lyrics, dance routine, outfit and everything else was designed and created for them by someone else...

    Thanks for your dedication!

  23. #83
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblong Cheese View Post
    Thus the difference is made between yourself (a dedicated musician) and someone such as say... anyone who is in a Top40 countdown whose music, lyrics, dance routine, outfit and everything else was designed and created for them by someone else...

    Thanks for your dedication!
    Yes. The difference, in short, is that I am a huge nerd and cannot dance or sing.

    That and I should probably get a stage getup and stop doing shows in onesies.

  24. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    533
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InversePhase View Post
    Argh! Sorry about that. Wait, so do you already have the regular edition then? Because the "complete" version's first 10 tracks are the same as the regular edition, you didn't make any mistake by preordering the SE in that case.
    No worries, I got the right one with just the new SE tracks. ...I think.

    Thanks for the explanation on SICNH! I'm really, really, REALLY looking forward to Maybe Just Once.

  25. #85
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,825
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Yay, one of my title suggestions made it to the album (with an extra T, to boot)!

  26. #86
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    No worries, I got the right one with just the new SE tracks. ...I think. Thanks for the explanation on SICNH! I'm really, really, REALLY looking forward to Maybe Just Once.
    Hope I did it justice for you! Maybe Just Once is done on the POKEY, so it's Atari and sounds ever so slightly off. Still, I did some cool tricks in the track. =]

  27. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quick update: I've been asked to wait on one last thing until I hit the finalize button on Loudr but you can now listen to the SE on bandcamp, and kickstarter backers can redeem their downloads!

  28. #88
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,998
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

  29. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Welp, I guess I should stop working on broken.

  30. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,099
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    No, please keep going

Posting Permissions