Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Silversun Pickups

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Silversun Pickups

Big fan of these guys and gal.

New album "Neck of the Woods" is out on May 8th. Pre-order from their official site:

http://www.silversunpickups.com/

Hear new single "Bloody Mary."

On first listen, I really like it - some nice atmosphere in the beginning that reminds me of M83, then the usual My Bloody Valentine influence seems to come in (in a good way). Psyched for the new album and tour!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yes!

I enjoy every song they've ever put out. Love this too.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This is a really strong single from them again. I have to admit that Pikul and Carnavas don't hold up nearly as well as Swoon for me. The more atmospheric stuff like "Three Seed" tends to be my favorite from them.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Wow can't believe there wasn't a thread on them already. They (along with TV on the radio) are easily one of my favorite newer bands. Love the new single and can't wait for the album. Like someone else said they really haven't released a bad song yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Bloody Mary is really great. The band have said that the new album will be super dark and explore more atmospheric elements, which really excites me. I love SSPU.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    like some other bands discussed on here, this is some of the best you're gonna get from a big major label push, radio rock band nowadays. Hugely popular and accessible, but still artistic and interesting enough to not garner eye rolls from most music snobs. Would love to see them in a theatre setting or smaller again when they tour behind this record.

are those three songs released in december gonna be on the full length?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    This is a really strong single from them again. I have to admit that Pikul and Carnavas don't hold up nearly as well as Swoon for me. The more atmospheric stuff like "Three Seed" tends to be my favorite from them.
    I love Three Seed. Definitely one of my favorites from them. I admittedly haven't listened to either album in a while, but I do remember I couldn't quite get into Swoon the same way as Carnavas. Time to dive back into both!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Would love to see them in a theatre setting or smaller again when they tour behind this record.
    I saw them at the Wellmont Theater in Montclair in 2010, sitting at the front row of the balcony, and it was amazing. I really hope they play there again. I was lucky enough to meet the band backstage afterwards, and Brian was hilarious and incredibly nice. I am a fortunate person sometimes.

are those three songs released in december gonna be on the full length?
    No, they are not, which is good!

Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    The band have said that the new album will be super dark and explore more atmospheric elements, which really excites me.
    Dark and atmospheric you say? Wow. I won't be surprised if this ends up being my favorite LP from them. I really like the album art, too. Maybe it's just because it's their first photographic cover, but it almost seems to suggest a narrative or story. I find that image to be creepy and pleasant at the same time, which seems to fit in with the dark/atmospheric description.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Interview about the new album. Answers some questionsn as to the sound and direction they took.

http://kroq.radio.com/2012/03/19/silversun-pickups-brian-aubert-talks-neck-of-the-woods-memoir-titles-wargames-in-exclusive-interview/

One of my favorite bands right here. I saw them last year at Williamsburg Waterfront (amazing venue) and they killed it. So good live.

They never disappoint with the albums they realese, and the new EP "Seasick" is just amazing. Even though it is material from the Swoon days... it fits in very well with the rest of their catalogue. Cannot wait for this to leak

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    What? They played the waterfront? How did I miss that?? Were they opening for someone else?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    What? They played the waterfront? How did I miss that?? Were they opening for someone else?
    They headlined! It was the day after the NJ show. I actually got some video of it when I still did that kind of thing. Setlist wasn't quite as long or interesting as the night before, but the Waterfront alone made it memorable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't why it feels like these guys have been off my radar for forever. I went and seen them in 09 after Swoon came out which I absolutely loved, and I haven't heard much out of them since then. I dig the new track.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    They headlined! It was the day after the NJ show. I actually got some video of it when I still did that kind of thing. Setlist wasn't quite as long or interesting as the night before, but the Waterfront alone made it memorable.

fuckkkk. I'm so pissed I missed that, I've been dying to see them. I must have had something else that day, don't know how I could have completely missed this.

Edit: oh wait, it was '10 not '11? Maybe I just wasn't into them at the time. I thought it was last summer.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    that Williamsburg show was in 2010, not 2011. they laid low last year, at least in the US. they prolly rolled around in their money all year haha.

Deadpool, I was at that Montclair show....it was SO good. I luckily missed Against Me! trying to become an arena rock band, and got there 15 minutes or so before Silversun started.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I saw Silversun on that tour with Against Me. I drove to St. Louis to see the show for free. They played some shitty local radio fest here in KC, and only got 45 minutes so I figured that driving to St Louis to see them headline a full set for free would be worth it. It was pretty doomed from the start though. Firstly, the location that was it was advertised as being (under The Arch), it wasn't at, and instead was like a mile away from that in the actual city. So that took forever to figure out.

Then once we got there, The entire area in front of the stage, all the way back to the sound board was gated off and was for "VIP Members" only, and there were only a handful of people in there who seemed to just be business men and parents with kids who looked like they thought this was a show for children or something. So the actual CROWD was forced to stand way in the back or far over on the side behind the gates. It was shit. Against Me spent their entire set talking about how stupid that was and how un-rock n roll it is. Then Silversun came out and after about 3 songs, Brian just urged everyone to jump the gates, which they did. Security was pissed.

But THEN about 50 minutes into Silversun's set, it started lightening really heavy and Brian mentioned how cool it was and that they intended to keep playing regardless of the weather. The show promoters didn't quit feel the same, so the power was LITERALLY shut off while Brian was talking and they forced to leave the stage, as some old dude got up there and told everyone to go home because it was about to rain. It sucked.

But Silversun sounded fucking phenomenal, so I'm really stoked to hopefully get to see them play an entire set this time around.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Deadpool, I was at that Montclair show....it was SO good. I luckily missed Against Me! trying to become an arena rock band, and got there 15 minutes or so before Silversun started.
    Wow, I totally forgot they opened that show... probably because I missed them, too! which I'm thankful for. But yeah, you know what I'm talkin' about. SSPU were in fine form that night. I loved the backdrop they used on that tour: it was some kind of silk screen with projections of what looked like the Northern Lights but with amazingly vibrant colors.

richardp, I hope you have a better experience the next time they roll around your area. You'll definitely appreciate them even more under the right circumstances.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Whoo! The new album arrived at the office (local cultural magazine)

It's album is ok, I like half of the songs, the rest I need to relisten. It has more energy than Swoon. I can't compared to the first album... I haven't give it a try yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't believe how long it's taking for this album to leak. Seriously the release date is next Tuesday (Monday in some countries)
    Either that or its not widespread to all the usual places. ANYway I've been a fan since the first album, even got to see 'em in a little bar\club where I'm using to seeing local bands. They were nice enough to hang out, talk to fans and sign shit afterwards(got me an autographed setlist !) Luckily theres been no shortage of new music lately with Sigur Ros,Manson and the new D record,but STILL. I'm hoping this third album is when sspu is gonna really come into their own. Less poppy and catchy, something with some real substance and interesting textures.If the single is any indication I could be right.

Oh and Im not asking you to leak your review copy or anything (altho that would be pretty amazing) just sharing my excitement with (hopefully) some fellow fans

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ugh, cannot wait for this. I check all the time for a leak

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    If I listen to this band will my guitar sound like Smashing Pumpkins?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    If I listen to this band will my guitar sound like Smashing Pumpkins?
    Yes.

I saw these guys at Coachella a couple of years ago and fell in love. I really wore out Swoon so I'm looking forward to hearing the new stuff.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It hasn't exactly leaked yet, but it's streaming on MTV.com right now. I don't have the chance to listen to it at the moment though, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    wha????? I gotta check this out!

HOLY FUCK he's right!
    FULL album streaming now!
    Last edited by Diamond_J; 05-02-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yeaaa won't be able to listen to this till I get home later. They only have so much material, I had to give them a long break.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Mean Spirits (EDIT: and everything after) is AWESOME.

Edit again: Gun-Shy Sunshine is definitely my favorite.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 05-02-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Good quality rip leaked. Can't wait to listen to it again.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Just now diving into it. The fact that the album has artwork done by someone else, and is produced by Jackknife Lee as opposed to Dave Cooley, is already making the songs feel a bit different to me. Jackknife seems to have, so far, brought Joe to forefront of the mix a bit more, which I like.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Loving this album. The bass lines are fuckin' grooooovy. I need to sit down and really listen to it though. Bloody Mary is my least favorite track. Everything else is just fantastic.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I was really underwhelmed on my first listen to this album, but I'm riding on my 6th time through now and I really REALLY love it. The songs feel pretty proggy at times, so there was a lot to kind of adjust to and familiarize within the tracks, but now that I'm getting familiar with everything, the choruses are starting to absolutely embed themselves in my brain, and I'm starting to hear just how wonderfully written this album is, and how full of intricate nuances it is. And I couldn't agree more Self Destruct, the bass lines are unreal. She really outdid herself on this album.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I was really underwhelmed on my first listen to this album, but I'm riding on my 6th time through now and I really REALLY love it. The songs feel pretty proggy at times, so there was a lot to kind of adjust to and familiarize within the tracks, but now that I'm getting familiar with everything, the choruses are starting to absolutely embed themselves in my brain, and I'm starting to hear just how wonderfully written this album is, and how full of intricate nuances it is. And I couldn't agree more Self Destruct, the bass lines are unreal. She really outdid herself on this album.
    Yea my first listen through, I noticed a lot of different little things they added on this album. Brian's vocals really shine and he seems to have more variety this time around and yes, Nikki just kills it on this album. What I love about her bass lines is that they are simple and groovy, but really give that personality to the band. Everyone in the band stepped up on this album. Everything works (for my ears at least) with the exception of Bloody Mary which is the weakest song on there. I really need some time to listen to the album from beginning to end, and find a decent leak.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I have a CD Rip, so you should check a certain little demon for the good leak!