90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Straight to Disney+ seemingly, now?
    Yes, split up over 3 nights Thanksgiving weekend

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Straight to Disney+ seemingly, now?
    Yeah, it’s 6 hours long. Better to release it at home, because that’s FAR too long for theater release.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The Super Deluxe Let It Be box set is another winner, in my book. All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono Band, they're on a friggin' roll lately with these things.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The new remix Let it Be is great, the original Glyn Johns (rejected) mix not so much. Sorry if redundant but I think they would've been better off bringing George Martin in for the rescue instead of Phil Spector. Ringo & George really shine on the new mix. The drum sound has been greatly improved on all the recent new mixes. Ringo is a severely underrated drummer, on a par with Charlie Watts IMHO. Same with George on guitar. As evidenced by the new All Things Must Pass, John & Paul really held George back in the later years. George was always my favorite Beatle. Let it Be was huge for me when I was a youngster & probably started me down the road to ruin, haha. The guitar work on the song Let it Be still slays me.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    As evidenced by the new All Things Must Pass, John & Paul really held George back in the later years.
    Although, towards the end of the first track on the third disc of the new box set, when they're rehearsing that song you can hear John suggest that George change the words from "a wind can blow those clouds away" to "a mind can blow..." thus dropping in some more psychedelic imagery (and probably inspiring John's own "because the wind is high, it blows my mind").
    Last edited by botley; 10-17-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    That documentary looks great.

But I really wish they hadn't upscaled the footage and interpolated frames. The technology just isn't there yet and it makes everything look watercoloury and smudged

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    That documentary looks great.

But I really wish they hadn't upscaled the footage and interpolated frames. The technology just isn't there yet and it makes everything look watercoloury and smudged
    He used 56 hours of original unused footage (from the "Let It Be" documentary directed by the legendary Sir Michael Lindsay-Hogg); and Jackson utilized some of the techniques he used for "They Shall Not Grow Old." And that film was AMAZING!!! The Get Back footage didn't need a whole lot of doctoring, just a whole lot of editing.

I watched the Ringo Kimmel appearance, and Kimmel asked him about the film; Ringo said he'd seen all 6 hours, and Ringo said he told him that he didn't want the film to convey that whole "John and Paul arguing the whole time" vibe, because Ringo said it really wasn't "like that."

Last edited by allegro; 10-18-2021 at 01:02 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    John & Paul really held George back in the later years.
    I would say George Martin was guilty of that, and maybe even George Harrison, himself. Look who played lead guitar in "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." And look who invited that guitarist to play.

The one who surprises me as the musician who I recently discovered that I totally underrated is Paul McCartney, after watching the Hulu series, "McCartney 3, 2, 1."

From "Variety" regarding McCartney and Ruben discussing Paul's bass in "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" -

Rubin pulls up the bass part on “While My Guitar Gently Weeps,” which is a much deeper, thicker, almost heavy metal-sounding thing than you’d guess if only ever considering the song as a whole. “I’ve never heard a bass sound like that before,” says Rubin, remarking that it’s like two different songs are happening at once, if you factor in the bass. “Interesting you bring that up. I was never conscious of it till you play it now,” says McCartney, almost seeming as if he’s not sure why he came up with something so contrapuntal, either.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-18-2021 at 01:04 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Part 1 is out now on Disney+.
    It feels a bit bloated but really impressive to both see them work and see how controlling Paul was. I particularly enjoyed the eye rolling whenever Paul plays Let It Be.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Watching Paul take control and all this nitpicking and fucking around with stupid versions of “Don’t Let Me Down” is making me nuts lol.

John: At some point we have to focus on the guitars. And we need “someone” on keyboards full time (George will bring in Billy Preston).

John on Paul’s Maxwell’s Silver Hammer LOL

I hate it. ‘Cuz all I remember is … he made us do it a hundred million times. He did everything to make it into a single and it never was and it never could’ve been. He had somebody hitting iron pieces and we spent more money on that song than any of them in the whole album.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-27-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Good Lord.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Good Lord.
    One of the things that really hit me in the gut as a mid-life crisis sorta thing was on my 41st birthday, when I realized "I've outlived John Lennon, and I don't have a goddamn thing to show for it." I have no idea why that felt like such a stunning barometer by which to measure stuff. On one hand, go me, I've outlived Mozart and now John Lennon... on the other hand, life is really, really short, and the further along you go the faster it starts running out.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Good Lord.
    And that was the Beatles’ FINAL album. We are watching them implode.

Yeah, @Jinsai , it all really does give a heavy dose of perspective. Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end, the faster it runs out.

Anyway …

All the conversations about the live show and them wanting to do it in an unconventional and kinda illegal place where they get kicked out (Eton-Hogg wants to do it at some ancient abandoned amphitheater in LIBYA or something?) and we’re all like “YOU MEAN LIKE THE ROOF OF THE BUILDING YOU’RE IN RIGHT NOW?!?!?”
    Last edited by allegro; 11-27-2021 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    One of the things that really hit me in the gut as a mid-life crisis sorta thing was on my 41st birthday, when I realized "I've outlived John Lennon, and I don't have a goddamn thing to show for it." I have no idea why that felt like such a stunning barometer by which to measure stuff. On one hand, go me, I've outlived Mozart and now John Lennon... on the other hand, life is really, really short, and the further along you go the faster it starts running out.
    Man, i'll be 42 on March 1, and these sort of thoughts are fucking tearing me apart.

I DO love this Beatles thing, though, a LOT.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Contrary to what everyone is saying on Twitter:

No, Paul is not writing “Let It Be” before our very eyes while everyone ignores him and John is discussing the stage design.

Paul began writing “Let It Be” during the recording of the White Album, messing with it in between takes of Piggy.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-27-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The new remix Let it Be is great, the original Glyn Johns (rejected) mix not so much. Sorry if redundant but I think they would've been better off bringing George Martin in for the rescue instead of Phil Spector. Ringo & George really shine on the new mix. The drum sound has been greatly improved on all the recent new mixes. Ringo is a severely underrated drummer, on a par with Charlie Watts IMHO. Same with George on guitar. As evidenced by the new All Things Must Pass, John & Paul really held George back in the later years. George was always my favorite Beatle. Let it Be was huge for me when I was a youngster & probably started me down the road to ruin, haha. The guitar work on the song Let it Be still slays me.

It’s heartbreaking seeing George on “Get Back” pretty much talking about how he thinks he’s a shitty lead guitar player, and how Clapton does it and he can’t, etc. George is only 26, but lacks confidence. Paul and John just listen and kind of nod.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've loved the Beatles since I was a kid, 30+ years now...but watching this documentary is a bit of an endurance trial

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, I’ve been a Beatlemaniac since I was a child. In the 60s. I saw them on Ed Sullivan.

But I keep falling asleep.

And I typically stay up until 1 a.m.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-01-2021 at 12:11 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I watch it in hour spurts, it makes things easier.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Good idea

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Good idea, it definitely should have been more like an 8-10 episode documentary and better paced

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Beatles Anthology series from the mid-90s set the gold standard for a rock/music documentary.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    The Beatles Anthology series from the mid-90s set the gold standard for a rock/music documentary.
    What's this? Beatles Anthology series?

Is it CALLED Beatles Anthology Series, Rhett?

I'd like to find it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    You gotta love Paul's "I think you're going to find we're not going to do that..." passive aggressiveness, lol.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

I'd like to find it.
    Yes, there’s 3 volumes of music anthology, a book, and a TV special.

My fave CD Volume is Anthology 3.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_Anthology
    Last edited by allegro; 12-02-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

I'd like to find it.
    Here is some info.

For sale on Amazon.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    These guys had obvious PTSD about performing in public. Watching this has completely re-framed the second act of their careers, for me. They were able to bluff their way through this "Get Back" project by the seat of their pants, but there's genuine fear behind those eyes recalling memories of that gruelling, traumatic 1966 tour when they talk about getting onstage again. I don't think George H. did more than a few dozen public appearances after the split until his death, did he? "They gave their money and their screams, but the Beatles gave their nervous systems" was his quote in that Anthology doc. It's clear he didn't want to be there, which was 'festering' as John put it for a long time before he walked out on them, and a minor miracle that they finished Abbey Road before limping to the finish line of Let It Be.
    Last edited by botley; 12-05-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ultimately, Lennon quit 6 days before the release of Abbey Road, which was recorded AFTER (but released before) Let It Be.

(Abbey Road was really their final album, even though Let It Be was released last.)
    Last edited by allegro; 12-06-2021 at 01:41 AM.