Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Peter Jackson's documentary, now entitled The Beatles: Get Back to be released theatrically by Disney this September.

New film features extensive, never-before-seen footage of the legendary band’s "Let It Be" recording sessions along with the entire iconic rooftop concert, fully restored

BURBANK, Calif. (March 11, 2020)—The Walt Disney Studios has acquired the worldwide distribution rights to acclaimed filmmaker Peter Jackson’s previously announced Beatles documentary. The film will showcase the warmth, camaraderie and humor of the making of the legendary band’s studio album, "Let It Be," and their final live concert as a group, the iconic rooftop performance on London’s Savile Row. "The Beatles: Get Back" will be released by The Walt Disney Studios in the United States and Canada on September 4, 2020, with additional details and dates for the film’s global release to follow. The announcement was made earlier today by Robert A. Iger, Executive Chairman, The Walt Disney Company, at Disney’s annual meeting of shareholders.

"No band has had the kind of impact on the world that The Beatles have had, and ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ is a front-row seat to the inner workings of these genius creators at a seminal moment in music history, with spectacularly restored footage that looks like it was shot yesterday," says Iger of the announcement. "I’m a huge fan myself, so I could not be happier that Disney is able to share Peter Jackson’s stunning documentary with global audiences in September."

"The Beatles: Get Back," presented by The Walt Disney Studios in association with Apple Corps Ltd. and WingNut Films Productions Ltd., is an exciting new collaboration between The Beatles, the most influential band of all time, and three-time Oscar®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson ("The Lord of the Rings" trilogy). Compiled from over 55 hours of unseen footage, filmed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg in 1969, and 140 hours of mostly unheard audio recordings from the "Let It Be" album sessions, "The Beatles: Get Back" is directed by Jackson and produced by Jackson, Clare Olssen ("They Shall Not Grow Old") and Jonathan Clyde, with Ken Kamins and Apple Corps’ Jeff Jones serving as executive producers.

The footage has been brilliantly restored by Park Road Post Production of Wellington, New Zealand, and is being edited by Jabez Olssen, who collaborated with Jackson on 2018’s "They Shall Not Grow Old," the groundbreaking film which featured restored and colorized World War I archival footage. The music in the film will be mixed by Giles Martin and Sam Okell at Abbey Road Studios in London. With this pristine restoration behind it, "The Beatles: Get Back" will create a vivid, joyful and immersive experience for audiences.

Peter Jackson says, "Working on this project has been a joyous discovery. I’ve been privileged to be a fly on the wall while the greatest band of all time works, plays and creates masterpieces. I’m thrilled that Disney have stepped up as our distributor. There’s no one better to have our movie seen by the greatest number of people."

Paul McCartney says, "I am really happy that Peter has delved into our archives to make a film that shows the truth about The Beatles recording together. The friendship and love between us comes over and reminds me of what a crazily beautiful time we had."

Ringo Starr says, "I’m really looking forward to this film. Peter is great and it was so cool looking at all this footage. There was hours and hours of us just laughing and playing music, not at all like the version that came out. There was a lot of joy and I think Peter will show that. I think this version will be a lot more peace and loving, like we really were."

"The Beatles: Get Back" is also being made with the enthusiastic support of Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison.

Although the original "Let It Be" film, directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg, and the accompanying album were filmed and recorded in January 1969, they were not released until May 1970, three weeks after The Beatles had officially broken up. The response to the film at the time by audiences and critics alike was strongly associated with that announcement. During the 15-month gap between the filming of "Let It Be" and its launch, The Beatles recorded and released their final studio album, "Abbey Road," which came out in September 1969.

Shot on 16mm and blown up to 35mm, the 80-minute "Let It Be" movie was built around the three weeks of filming, including an edited version of the rooftop concert. The GRAMMY®-winning "Let It Be" album topped the charts in the U.S. and the U.K.

The new documentary brings to light much more of the band’s intimate recording sessions for "Let It Be" and their entire 42-minute performance on the rooftop of Apple’s Savile Row London office. While there is no shortage of material of The Beatles’ extensive touring earlier in their careers, "The Beatles: Get Back" features the only notable footage of the band at work in the studio, capturing John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr as they create their now-classic songs from scratch, laughing, bantering and playing to the camera.

Shot on January 30, 1969, The Beatles’ surprise rooftop concert marked the band’s first live performance in over two years and their final live set together. The footage captures interactions between the band members, reactions from fans and employees from nearby businesses, and comical attempts to stop the concert by two young London policemen responding to noise complaints.

A fully restored version of the original "Let It Be" film will be made available at a later date.

I predict that while Disney may own this, and release it how they see fit, the original doc will be part of the Let It Be deluxe box set, which I would guess now will be out in time for the holidays, as opposed to this May and much closer to the date of the original release, like the other sets were released.

George's Dark Horse label to be revived
    . This article is a basic history of how the label was launched to it's dissolution, but there are some tantalizing details about new editions of some of George's most essential releases coming.

The company’s archival research has also turned up a trove of unissued George Harrison material. “We have people digging through mountains of tapes, and they keep coming,” says Dhani. “Boxes and boxes of them.” This year marks the 50th anniversary of All Things Must Pass, and Dhani and his archivists have unearthed hours of unreleased material and unheard songs from those sessions. “A lot of it has been bootlegged, but we have better versions,” says Olivia. “We have all the 24-tracks of All Things Must Pass, and we found lots of different takes and talking in the studio.”

Next year will mark the 50th anniversary of the Concert for Bangladesh, followed in 2023 by the five-decade mark of Living in the Material World. Each of those projects could be accorded expanded editions, although the specifics aren’t worked out.

Dhani says he is asked on a regular basis about his father’s controversial 1974 tour more than any of Harrison’s other undertakings. Dhani says he’s listened back to tapes of all the shows and agrees that his father wasn’t in the best of voice, but still feels the shows revealed another aspect of George’s music. “His voice is pretty tired, but in my opinion, it sounds great,” he says. “It’s raspy, and it has grit to it. You can hear the fragility in all the songs. It’s a different take on a lot of his music.” Olivia says several of the shows were also filmed, onstage and offstage, and the material has the makings of a documentary. “I think it would make a great tour movie,” she says. “The backstage footage is amazing and hysterical. Things went on backstage that don’t happen now. Now everything is so cut and dried, the opposite of spontaneous.”

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    There's an excellent podcast about George Martin's work called "Producing The Beatles". The guy who does it commissioned this professional recording of the score for "Strawberry Fields Forever" (the musicians are listening to the original percussion track in their headphones):

You can buy the complete re-recording here on Bandcamp.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    the b side of abbey road is handwashing gold!
    forget happy birthday or the alphabet! just slightly slow the tempo of her majesty and your hands are super clean. I never thought I'd equate hygiene and the beatles...but when in rome.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I was listening to Paul McCartney and the Wings Wings Over America a while ago. It's mostly Wings with a few Beatles songs, but I kind of prefer it that way. There are several Paul live albums where he plays the Beatles big hits, so this one is kind of nice.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Oh yeah, I'm all-in for that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Fingers crossed they're going to put the whole remixed album out in Dolby Atmos!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I hate December 8th.

40 years ago today.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ugh, my little brother woke me up to tell me. It was so hard to comprehend. So senseless. Who would murder JOHN LENNON??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I hate December 8th.

40 years ago today.

All I know is that Mr. Chapman better never be released.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    All I know is that Mr. Chapman better never be released.
    He won't be; look into MK Ultra. Sorry to be all conspiracy theory adjacent, but come on...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Uh, the implication being what? That Lennon was wiped out by CIA command? Come on. Chapman was obsessed with famous musicians. He stalked Todd Rundgren and had planned to take out David Bowie next after Lennon (he had a front-row ticket to see him perform in The Elephant Man the night after the murder).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    He was recently denied parole for the 11th time, and his next parole hearing will be in 2022, but he says he’s okay spending the rest of his life in prison. Which is good, because that’s likely where he will be.
    https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...ay-die-prison/
    Last edited by allegro; 12-10-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    It's always bittersweet for December 8 to come around. Both Lennon and Dimebag were killed on my birthday. I was born in 1981, too, which makes it even weirder.

But, in positivity, "Things We Said Today" may have become my favorite song by the lads these last few weeks. So good.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Recently spent a lot of time with both Let It Be and Let It Be... Naked. I much prefer the latter. So much more cohesive, with none of that studio chatter dross.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    This is really disturbing. The album that Lennon signed for Chapman five hours before Chapman killed him is up for auction. It's at $475,000 right now with more than 2 days left.

https://goldinauctions.com/lotdetail...album_signed_f

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Hopefully the money either goes to Yoko or a charity.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Recently spent a lot of time with both Let It Be and Let It Be... Naked. I much prefer the latter. So much more cohesive, with none of that studio chatter dross.
    Let it Be...Naked sounds a lot better. Even the remaster of Let It Be sounds stuffy. Naked just sounds awesome, like it was recorded yesterday--everything is so clear. I do like the studio chatter though, and the "filler" songs which were removed from Naked, as they add to the flavor and personality of the album. I also prefer the tracklist of the original album.

If I listen front-to-back I prefer the original. If I listen to individual tracks I prefer Let it Be...Naked.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I just bought Capitol Albums Volume 1 and 2. I haven't listened to them yet, but wanted to hear them the way American audiences did back in the 60's, complete with the "fake stereo," even though the 2014 versions of the U.S. albums sound a lot better.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Spoiler alert: they're the same mixes (except for a few variant cases) with a little more compression and reverb thrown in to 'sweeten' them.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This Paul McCartney / Rick Rubin series on Hulu is awesome.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Hot damn, the All Things Must Pass 50th Super-Deluxe set leaked, and it's fire. Great outtakes and remixes all around. Gonna invest in the 8-LP box, myself.
    Last edited by botley; 07-28-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Oh my god I CAN’T FUCKING WAIT!!!!!!!!

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Oh my god I CAN’T FUCKING WAIT!!!!!!!!

A post shared by on

Straight to Disney+ seemingly, now?