Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    this new song is the most confusing fucking thing I've ever heard in my life... how is this real?
    Are you talking about "Fuh You"?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Are you talking about "Fuh You"?
    Yeah, Paul's just an old guy attempting to be edgy.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    It's not edgy at all. Rather, it's the opposite.

That song is mediocre, saccharine, and sounds like anything else you'd hear on mainstream radio.

Absolutely shit.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    It's not edgy at all. Rather, it's the opposite.

That song is mediocre, saccharine, and sounds like anything else you'd hear on mainstream radio.

Absolutely shit.
    I think it's pretty catchy and clever, but not his best work by any means. There are lots of far, far better songs on the album, and the production work in particular stands out for being subpar (it's a different production team for just that track, the rest was produced by Greg Kurstin). Even with its missteps this is still probably his strongest overall effort since Flaming Pie, which was more than twenty years ago.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    It's just weird as hell to hear Sir Paul McCartney make what sounds like a throwaway Katy Perry song, and to hear him sing a chorus that's basically just him being coy about saying "I just wanna fuck you." It all feels like a really bizarre dream.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I wonder if this was the inspiration for "Come Together."

https://people.com/music/paul-mccart...ated-together/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Liam Gallagher, still hilarious

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    White Album deluxe edition pre-order on Amazon.JP

6 CD's/1 Blu-ray. Complete Esher tapes, and a lot of outtakes. The Blu-ray will have some content not on the CD's.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 09-22-2018 at 02:50 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post

6 CD's/1 Blu-ray. Complete Esher tapes, and a lot of outtakes. The Blu-ray will have some content not on the CD's.
    Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! [/Pacino]

Nov. 9
    Nov. 9
    Nov. 9
    Nov. 9...
    Last edited by botley; 09-22-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sure, I'll buy it again.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post

Oh fuck yes. I already have this on pre-order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Based on the work they did for Sgt. Peppers I think I’m on board for this one. But they really are milking these rereleases. They could have done this 9 years ago with all that hype.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I got the Peppers box for Christmas, and haven't really done much else with it but watch and listen to the Blu-ray. Haven't read it but the book was quite impressive, being used to the relatively (but impressive regardless) smaller booklets that came with the King Crimson sets.

I'm looking forward to this, because the songs sound much better in the promo videos that went out today than I've ever heard them before. I honestly wasn't that knocked out by the Peppers surround mix, and have heard similar sentiments elsewhere online. I read today that Giles Martin took some of these criticisms to heart, so maybe there's a chance this will be an improvement. This bodes well for the eventual Abbey Road set which I expect to be more epic than these two combined.

I agree that they should have done something like this in 2009, but honestly it's kind of better they are going this route now since Blu-ray technology has improved, especially with regards to audio-only releases.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I bought the Imagine boxset. Really nice packaging with a beautiful book. Outtakes are nice, but like most outtakes, are really only for the uber fan. Haven't listened to the two Blu-rays yet. The CD reissue from 2000 already sounds great, imho, but I look forward to hearing this new remaster.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    My deluxe edition of The White Album arrived today. I've only listened to disc 3 (The Esher Demos), but here are some initial thoughts:

-Absolutely beautiful packaging. This will look very handsome on a shelf or coffee table, as all discs have their own sleeve and are encased in a hardcover book.

-The book is awesome, great pictures, liner notes and reprints of the four Beatles photos, same size that were in the original vinyl records.

-The Esher Demos live up to the hype. It's like the White Album: The Acoustic Edition. These songs sound absolutely fantastic, totally polished, not just like demos or sketches, which is what most outtakes often sound like.

-"What's The New Mary Jane" should have been included on the original album, in place of "Revolution #9," as it's also very offbeat, but is a much, much better song.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I think "Sour Milk Sea" is the real buried treasure. But the whole box set is a wonderful presentation, far better than the Pepper's sets/remix IMO.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I think that "What's the New Mary Jane" from Anthology Volume 3 is better than the one from the Esher demos. I like them both but the Anthology version from 1996 sounds much fuller and richer, much more like a completed song. The Esher demo sounds like a demo, nothing all that special. Still, it's inclusion here is cool.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 11-10-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ I understand what you mean; however, lot of the mixes on the Anthology albums were prepared in the 1980s by Geoff Emerick (RIP) for the then-proposed Sessions album — including, as I understand it, "What's the New Mary Jane", with another example being the shorter edit of Harrison's masterful "Not Guilty". Some of these Sessions mixes are quite successful, others are arguably not very true to the Beatles' original approach, as Emerick took some liberties with how the songs were initially constructed in the studio. They also used outboard reverb and other 80s studio techniques ("Mary Jane" in particular is flooded with this stuff), effects which simply weren't possible at Abbey Road in the 60s.

George Martin had a LOT of material to wade through for those Anthology albums, and he didn't have quite the same flexibility offered by this modern technology, deliberately choosing instead to use a vintage all-analogue mixing desk for his work on the compilation. Wherever those Sessions mixes already existed, however, and he liked them enough, they did not bother re-mixing anything. But consequently, there's a slightly jarring quality (to me, at least), particularly when you have something like the 80s Sessions/Anthology version of "Mary Jane" sitting next to the obviously vintage "Glass Onion" experimental outtake mix, with its equally-bizarre, but much more period-authentic sound effects loops.

ALL THIS IS TO SAY that I prefer the Giles Martin approach for outtakes on this set, which is "don't edit much, don't get too clever with the mixing, just let the tape run". It's just more of a clear window into the Beatles' creative process that way, as opposed to a tidy presentation for casual listening (the latter approach has also been Giles' M.O. in the past, unfortunately). But you definitely need to have both sets in your collection, there's surprisingly little overlap with the Anthology discs and this new Super Deluxe package. "Mary Jane" Take 1 on Disc 6 is probably closest we'll ever get to hearing how it sounded in the room on the day they recorded it!
    Last edited by botley; 11-11-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    How is the Giles Martin remaster of the original record?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    How is the Giles Martin remaster of the original record?
    I haven't heard the vinyl yet, but I think the new stereo mixes are great (they kept the old stereo mix for "Revolution 9", even though it was remixed for surround). Again, a lot better than the Pepper's 50th anniversary remixes for my money. They managed this time to bring out details and layers in each song, without overcooking it with compression and hype. Looking forward to playing it all in 5.1 surround!
    Last edited by botley; 11-11-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I haven't heard the vinyl yet, but I think the new stereo mixes are great (they kept the old stereo mix for "Revolution 9", even though it was remixed for surround). Again, a lot better than the Pepper's 50th anniversary remixes for my money. They managed this time to bring out details and layers in each song, without overcooking it with compression and hype. Looking forward to playing it all in 5.1 surround!
    thank you!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I haven't gotten a chance to listen to this yet, but to me, Giles' mix of Sgt. Pepper is the definitive edition. I love the way he essentially transferred the ideas from the mono mix into stereo format. Do any of you know if they plan to do the remaining Beatles albums? And if so, is there any word on Revolver, since they started past it?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I haven't gotten a chance to listen to this yet, but to me, Giles' mix of Sgt. Pepper is the definitive edition. I love the way he essentially transferred the ideas from the mono mix into stereo format. Do any of you know if they plan to do the remaining Beatles albums? And if so, is there any word on Revolver, since they started past it?
    With the kind of business they're doing with these big deluxe sets, it would be insane not to do more. I expect to see Abbey Road out next year, then a Let It Be box including the film, then they'll probably go back and fill in the gaps.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    ^ I understand what you mean; however, lot of the mixes on the Anthology albums were prepared in the 1980s by Geoff Emerick (RIP) for the then-proposed Sessions album — including, as I understand it, "What's the New Mary Jane", with another example being the shorter edit of Harrison's masterful "Not Guilty". Some of these Sessions mixes are quite successful, others are arguably not very true to the Beatles' original approach, as Emerick took some liberties with how the songs were initially constructed in the studio. They also used outboard reverb and other 80s studio techniques ("Mary Jane" in particular is flooded with this stuff), effects which simply weren't possible at Abbey Road in the 60s.

George Martin had a LOT of material to wade through for those Anthology albums, and he didn't have quite the same flexibility offered by this modern technology, deliberately choosing instead to use a vintage all-analogue mixing desk for his work on the compilation. Wherever those Sessions mixes already existed, however, and he liked them enough, they did not bother re-mixing anything. But consequently, there's a slightly jarring quality (to me, at least), particularly when you have something like the 80s Sessions/Anthology version of "Mary Jane" sitting next to the obviously vintage "Glass Onion" experimental outtake mix, with its equally-bizarre, but much more period-authentic sound effects loops.

ALL THIS IS TO SAY that I prefer the Giles Martin approach for outtakes on this set, which is "don't edit much, don't get too clever with the mixing, just let the tape run". It's just more of a clear window into the Beatles' creative process that way, as opposed to a tidy presentation for casual listening (the latter approach has also been Giles' M.O. in the past, unfortunately). But you definitely need to have both sets in your collection, there's surprisingly little overlap with the Anthology discs and this new Super Deluxe package. "Mary Jane" Take 1 on Disc 6 is probably closest we'll ever get to hearing how it sounded in the room on the day they recorded it!
    I was reading the liner notes from Anthology 3 and it says it was recorded in August of 1968 and was "take 4," the one marked "best." The liner notes make no mention of any additional work from the 80's, although the wiki page of the Sessions albums notes that the Anthology version of WTNMJ uses a mix intended for the Sessions album.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I was reading the liner notes from Anthology 3 and it says it was recorded in August of 1968 and was "take 4," the one marked "best." The liner notes make no mention of any additional work from the 80's, although the wiki page of the Sessions albums notes that the Anthology version of WTNMJ uses a mix intended for the Sessions album.
    I believe a 60s-vintage mix of Take 4 has been bootlegged, and if I recall right it was briefly under consideration as a possible B-side for John's Plastic Ono Band with "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)" as the A-side!
    Last edited by botley; 11-13-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Finally got to listen to it. They've done it again! I definitely consider this the ultimate version of the White Album. It's less of a departure from the original stereo mix than Sgt. Pepper, but that makes sense because there was more care given to the original stereo mix of the White Album. The only decision I'm not entirely with is lowering Yoko's vocals on Bungalow Bill, which I've always really liked. Overall, they basically brought the album up to modern standards while letting it retain the same feel that it always has. Like when you played a game as a kid and remember it looking better than it did, this is how I hear the album in my head, but not how it actually was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The White Album is amazing. I gave the new remixed version a listen recently, and there's so many highlights. Happiness is a Warm Gun, Martha My Dear and Long, Long, Long might be my three favourites atm. I've been listening to Abbey Road too, and that's just as awesome. (Because, what a masterpiece of a song!) I think the band's music is finally starting to click with me, which is so good, cause I'd always listen to a few Beatles tracks now and then, but never really got that much into them.