Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN-Spotting 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This one's a double whammy for me:

New Metal Gear Rising Teaser uses a remix of Ghosts 10 (i think? correct me if i'm wrong):

http://www.metalgearsolid.com/rising/teaser.php

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    This one's a double whammy for me:

New Metal Gear Rising Teaser uses a remix of Ghosts 10 (i think? correct me if i'm wrong):

http://www.metalgearsolid.com/rising/teaser.php
    Unfortunately, it's not a remix. It's an uncredited cover. It's like someone sucked the soul out of 10 Ghosts II and spit out the skeleton. Seriously, Konami can fork out enough money to have someone completely rip off a NIN song, but not quite enough to license the actual song? I wouldn't blink if Trent went Tom Waits on them over this.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I wouldn't blink if Trent went Tom Waits on them over this.
    I don't get it

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I don't get it
    See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Waits#Lawsuits
    Waits found himself in a situation similar to his earlier one with Frito Lay in 2000 when Audi approached him, asking to use "Innocent When You Dream" (from Franks Wild Years) for a commercial broadcast in Spain. Waits declined, but the commercial ultimately featured music very similar to that song. Waits undertook legal action, and a Spanish court recognized that there had been a violation of Waits's moral rights in addition to the infringement of copyright. The production company, Tandem Campany Guasch, was ordered to pay compensation to Waits through his Spanish publisher. Waits was later quoted as jokingly saying the company got the name of the song wrong, thinking it was called "Innocent When You Scheme".

In 2005, Waits sued Adam Opel AG, claiming that, after having failed to sign him to sing in their Scandinavian commercials, they had hired a sound-alike singer. In 2007, the suit was settled, and Waits gave the sum to charity.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Perhaps, rather than Trent blocking it, they misunderstood Ghosts' CC license? NIN's been in a lot of trailers over the past couple of years, I doubt he'd block Konami unless they offered a stupidly low amount.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    It seems like that's the thing to do with commercials today. If they can't get a popular song for the commercial, they have someone create a sound-alike track. I can't remember the commercial, but I distinctly remember one that had a sound-alike version of Beautiful Day by U2. In fact, if I didn't know that song well enough, I would have been fooled.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Haha, I just used Shazam on that trailer, but unfortunately it didn't come out as Ghosts II 10. Wish it would. That'd be even more ridiciulous. But Youtube has it listed on the sidebar. C'mon, that's not even a real attempt at recreating the actual track. It just sounds like it was run through several filters.

Anway, I would let it slip if I was Trent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not a remix. It's an uncredited cover. It's like someone sucked the soul out of 10 Ghosts II and spit out the skeleton. Seriously, Konami can fork out enough money to have someone completely rip off a NIN song, but not quite enough to license the actual song? I wouldn't blink if Trent went Tom Waits on them over this.

Sounds familiar?

PS: I've just watched Supernatural's new episode called "The Girl With The Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo" and in the final scenes where the hacker chick is trying to hack the bad guy's computer the music was quite similar to TR's and AR's scores (or I thought so), probably paying tribute to Fincher's movie (hence the title of the episode and part of its argument).
    Last edited by Max Leo; 04-28-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A 16-year old NIN spotting. In the pilot episode ( 1996 ) of the tv series Millenium "Piggy" is played.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    A 13-year old spotting. Been listening to Ministry bootleg from '99 Dark Side of the Spoon tour, Mr Self Destruct was playing over PA after the show

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Slipknot frontman covering Something I can Never Have:

Sounds nothing like it IMO, but fair cop to the guy for doing it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I was at Corey Taylor's Dallas show and I almost shat my pants when he played SICNH. I got to hang out with him after the show and he said "Broken" is his favorite album.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    My friend works for Dubspot in NYC, and through them, he interviewed Photek at SXSW - in the video, he mentions working with Trent during the With Teeth era. Very cool!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Slipknot frontman covering Something I can Never Have:

Sounds nothing like it IMO, but fair cop to the guy for doing it.
    He does a cover of Wish with his other other band, Junk Beer Kidnap Band.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I heard "Cabin in the woods" got a west indian girl poster at the start and Last at the end

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Background music is Hand Covers Bruise

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    While we're going through old spottings...

Trent Reznor and Mick at the Quaker Steak and Lube in Erie, PA.

Coincidentally, I'm a finalist (1 of only 10) in Quaker Steak and Lube's Sauce Boss contest. They're deciding the grand prize winner (roughly $2k in cash and prizes) by internet voting. Tonight is the final night of voting and I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Vote for my sauce "Arizona Brushfire" and help push me to the top. There's no limit on how many times you can vote.

Apologies for shilling, this'll be the last of it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Annoyed by this for some reason.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I realize I lose major man points for this spotting, but my wife was watching Ellen and they used WITT over their spoof version of Avengers with Ellen starring as a new superhero.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    I realize I lose major man points for this spotting, but my wife was watching Ellen and they used WITT over their spoof version of Avengers with Ellen starring as a new superhero.
    Watching Ellen only gains you man points. Never let anyone tell you any different.

edit: Also, I'm convinced Ellen is a NIN fan. She has mentioned them a few times that I remember, once in one of her stand up specials I have, when explaining how she arranged her music (Meatloaf next to The Cranberries, The Carpenters and The Doors and Nine Inch Nails, etc). Once when she had a little girl as a musical guest, she asked what kind of music she likes, and the girl was shy and didn't have an answer, so she asked "Do you like Nine Inch Nails?". The only band she mentioned at all.
    Last edited by sick among the pure; 05-07-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: I kinda love Ellen, a lot.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

“This how I fixed Trent Reznor ('s guitars many moons ago)”

http://instagr.am/p/Kagy5JzATY/

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    http://www.vice.com/read/famous-auth...g-photographed
    Random spotting (under Chuck Palahniuk)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm not sure what to think about this but it looks pretty fucked up. It features a song we all know and love but I don't think it's used very well.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    John Waters and NIN, oh my!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    There's a lot of things happening in this video and they're all pretty great

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It seems like that's the thing to do with commercials today. If they can't get a popular song for the commercial, they have someone create a sound-alike track. I can't remember the commercial, but I distinctly remember one that had a sound-alike version of Beautiful Day by U2. In fact, if I didn't know that song well enough, I would have been fooled.
    There are at least 3 soundalikes of angel by massive attack, usually in perfume ads. Its cheeky

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Flyentology remix in Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD