Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Mortal Kombat

I've been in love with this series since I was little.

I have the MK/MKII double game cartridge for the Game Boy. I played MK II, 3 and Ultimate MK3 on the arcades (and, ahem, arcade emulators, too) like crazy as a teenager. MK Trilogy was a fave for me on PSX. I liked MK4 and was very impressed by Deadly Alliance. The Konquest TV series was a bit "meh". Didn't care much for the movies, I've never actually sat through them.

Kinda abandoned the series after that, but the Tancharoen stuff (Rebirth and Legacy) were pretty nice. This week, I purchased the newest game, Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition for the Xbox 360 and I am FUCKING STUNNED. It's amazing. It brings tears to my eyes. It has the best parts of the previous MK games combined into one badass package. I'm halfway through the Story mode and it's incredible, both story-wise and gameplay-wise. The graphics are very cool. I love that every character has their own unique design and voice instead of cheap color swaps. It was a great bang for the buck for me. It has lots and lots of stuff to play through and I'm sure as hell it will be fun when I'll invite my friends for some old-skool one-on-one fights!

Now, excuse me, I'm off to kick Scorpion's ass.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I love Ermac and Rain.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Yeah. I loved Ermac's redesign in the new MK. Rain is a bonus character in the Komplete Edition (which contains the DLC material, including Freddy Krueger - extremely WTF but funny nonetheless).

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I wish that third movie that has been in limbo for years and years would finally get underway. Even if it's a whole fresh beginning ignoring the other two films. What they were doing with the YouTube videos, etc, a little while back was really good. Turn that shit into a movie!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Did they ever do a part 10?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Did they ever do a part 10?
    Negative; Cyrax & Sektor was sort of the finale of that mini-series. Granted, now they have the director of MK Legacy signed on to do a new full-length MK film.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah dude! We had a killer/passionate thread about the new game on the last board. Love it. The vita version is helping sell me on that handheld...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Yeah dude! We had a killer/passionate thread about the new game on the last board. Love it. The vita version is helping sell me on that handheld...
    Yeah the last thread for MK was awesome. Me, Jinsai and Krush played almost every night for like 2 weeks straight.

I honestly haven't touched it that much recently. The last time I seriously played was I think in December.

I hope that the UMK3 costumes will come to the PS3 version. Rain and Smoke in UMK3 costumes would be fucking sweet!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm really curious to see where they'll go next with the series, especially after such a well received revival.

Also I've always sort of wanted them to relaunch MK4 or Gold, since its the only one that can't be readily played on a modern console, and it feels like I haven't played it since its launch. I'm curious how it holds up.

Haven't played the new one in a few months, but I did recently pick up Street Fighter X Tekken, which is both bizarre and awesome. It's no MK though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pepper needs new shorts!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I can't wait till I face 678695432 Scorpion players online again.

However, I am excited for this. Based on this CGI film, hopefully the game is much, much more darker and gruesome. I'd love for it to be like UMK3.

I hope Skarlet returns!
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 06-03-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    So super stoked!

The trailer is a bit of cock tease because:

1. Given our current technology, the gameplay could actually look like that.
    2. The gameplay probably doesnt look like that, since they said none of it was gameplay.
    3. The direction of the trailer deliberately tries to make it loom like an actual match.

Im sure it will be fucking awesome though.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/06/11...n-live-e3-2014

Lots of gameplay out this week and some great story details.

The story takes place during different periods of time and so it features characters like Cassie Cage, the daughter of Sonya and Johnny Cage, and also an Aztec Warrior.

Each Character has three style variations that swap out 3 of the specials, which is impressive. so if the current character select screen is accurate, there are 24 characters that can each be played 3 diffent ways!

From my understanding characters now have "dismemberment points" so that the gory details of fatalities and x-rays are more dynamic and over the top. Certainly many of the X-Rays and fatalities I've seen so far give the one from previous games a run for their money. Very excited.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/06/11...n-live-e3-2014

Lots of gameplay out this week and some great story details.

The story takes place during different periods of time and so it features characters like Cassie Cage, the daughter of Sonya and Johnny Cage, and also an Aztec Warrior.

Each Character has three style variations that swap out 3 of the specials, which is impressive. so if the current character select screen is accurate, there are 24 characters that can each be played 3 diffent ways!

From my understanding characters now have "dismemberment points" so that the gory details of fatalities and x-rays are more dynamic and over the top. Certainly many of the X-Rays and fatalities I've seen so far give the one from previous games a run for their money. Very excited.
    23 years I think Boon said for the time frame for which this takes place after MK9.

All I need are Skarlet (my main, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee), Sub Zero (obvious) and hopefully Sektor to make my arsenal complete.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    23 years I think Boon said for the time frame for which this takes place after MK9.
    In the video that you quoted he uses the phrase "one of the time periods" so it's probably a time travel story of some sort.

I just need Ermac. Don't fuck me on Ermac NRS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I am completely new to Mortal Kombat. I just got the Komplete version for 5 bucks off of Amazon and I absolutely love it. The only fighting games I had played before were Street Fighter 4 and some Tekken games. Just last week I bought Komplete and Injustice and I think they're both great. I'm already looking forward to X. I can't believe how addictive this game is. As a huge 'Nightmare on Elm Street' fan, I really enjoy playing with Freddy (though I would have loved to have a Robert Englund version instead!).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    I am completely new to Mortal Kombat. I just got the Komplete version for 5 bucks off of Amazon and I absolutely love it. The only fighting games I had played before were Street Fighter 4 and some Tekken games. Just last week I bought Komplete and Injustice and I think they're both great. I'm already looking forward to X. I can't believe how addictive this game is. As a huge 'Nightmare on Elm Street' fan, I really enjoy playing with Freddy (though I would have loved to have a Robert Englund version instead!).
    I hate Freddy. Fucking stupid character to add ontop of being overused by everyone due to his cheap crawling glove projectiles. I'm glad they fixed his damage output as he was massively overpowered upon release.

I doubt it, but I hope MKX is devoid of stupid DLC characters.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I didn't mind Freddy as I'm a elm street fan. But why the fuck did they not use Robert englund is beyond me.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I didn't mind Freddy as I'm a elm street fan. But why the fuck did they not use Robert englund is beyond me.
    He was probably too expensive, especially since the character seems to have been a last-minute DLC decision.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    They unfortunately confirmed another guest character for X. Money says it's Jason Voorhees as Freddy was their best selling DLC, which makes me sad as I hate guest characters.

I've had a hardon for this series since 1994, and waited patiently for Smoke to develop his own moveset and original playstyle. MK9 rewarded me with that and brought life to one of my favorite old rumors in the form of Skarlet.

It was almost a perfect package, save that I've always been a bit of a plot buff for the series and I thought they kind of shit the bed with MK9's Story mode, as well presented as it was. Screwing with Mileena's origin, the tournament suddenly not being intended to stop invasions...just unnecessary stuff. Made Raiden look like a dumbass, too.

That aside though, it was the well-crafted MK fighting game I waited my whole life for, up there with SF for playability. And it's going to be a loooong wait for X.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    They unfortunately confirmed another guest character for X. Money says it's Jason Voorhees as Freddy was their best selling DLC, which makes me sad as I hate guest characters.

I've had a hardon for this series since 1994, and waited patiently for Smoke to develop his own moveset and original playstyle. MK9 rewarded me with that and brought life to one of my favorite old rumors in the form of Skarlet.

It was almost a perfect package, save that I've always been a bit of a plot buff for the series and I thought they kind of shit the bed with MK9's Story mode, as well presented as it was. Screwing with Mileena's origin, the tournament suddenly not being intended to stop invasions...just unnecessary stuff. Made Raiden look like a dumbass, too.

That aside though, it was the well-crafted MK fighting game I waited my whole life for, up there with SF for playability. And it's going to be a loooong wait for X.
    I hope not. Even though only DLC, Freddy 100% broke my immersion in the game. It didn't help he was an overused fighter online as well.

I'm glad to see another Skarlet fan. She was my main in MK9. Funnily enough, I had her unlocked through a glitch with the compatability pack. I never had to buy her but she was selectable and playable. I still remember her fatality input of down, back, down, down, RT. LOL

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I hope not. Even though only DLC, Freddy 100% broke my immersion in the game.
    Thank you for understanding! As a PS3 owner, there was the added fun of Kratos being completely unavoidable everywhere. Once Freddy showed up I went offline completely. Couldn't take it anymore.

Seeing as how Killer Instinct is back and doing gangbusters, I can probably see them bringing in one of their cast members for the XB0 as a console exclusive if it's not Jason. Might not be AS silly.

I envy ya. I had no patience and bought Skarlet, Rain and Kenshi the day they came out.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I had bought the Komplete Edition, and Freddy was even in the cover art. By the way, Soul Calibur has been doing this for years.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Soul Calibur II was one of the first to do it in a way that got a lot of attention as it was Spawn, Tekken's Heihachi and Link depending on your console. But the real award I think goes to Capcom, who introduced Akuma as a secret character in X-Men: Children Of The Atom.

I didn't have a problem with it back then, but as games are getting more advanced and really shaping their aesthetics well, I find those guests are sticking out like sore thumbs, even when they're not really ridiculously silly (Again, looking at you, Soul calibur and your Star Wars characters).

I've got the Komplete Edition too, but I picked it up cheap and secondhand as a backup in case I ever lose access to my PS account somehow, and for completion purposes; see, I own a frightening amount of MK merchandise; point in fact I own no less than five separate copies of MK9: in addition to the Komplete, I have the Tourney edition with the arcade stick, 2 copies of the Kollector's edition with the artbook (I won one for finishing 2nd at a tournament on release night), and one regular. Also snagged a steelbook case off a friend who thought he was taking advantage of a Future Shop website screwup for a sweet deal, but only got the case. Teehee.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Thank you for understanding! As a PS3 owner, there was the added fun of Kratos being completely unavoidable everywhere. Once Freddy showed up I went offline completely. Couldn't take it anymore.

Seeing as how Killer Instinct is back and doing gangbusters, I can probably see them bringing in one of their cast members for the XB0 as a console exclusive if it's not Jason. Might not be AS silly.

I envy ya. I had no patience and bought Skarlet, Rain and Kenshi the day they came out.
    I love KI. I've been playing the hell out of it since, still do. I do think however they will be true to the original series. The new character they made fit right in at home as far as I was concerned. I doubt they'd soil with a character who makes no sense or doesn't belong. I doubt they'd make a character for it be in MK either.

I know you probably don't have Xbox One, but if you did, I recommend the new KI immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I had bought the Komplete Edition, and Freddy was even in the cover art. By the way, Soul Calibur has been doing this for years.
    Yeah, this is true. However they kinda bleed into the background. The Star Wars characters were the worst they did. They were cool inclusions but honestly they had zero reason to be there. I at least can expend belief of past characters (Spawn, Link, Heihaci) and even Ezio (SCV) but Yoda and Vader....not a lot.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 07-22-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I've said for years MS will sell me a console when a new awesome KI drops. And that's ...happening. But I'm going to wait for them to finish releasing characters so I can get the whole thing in a bundle further down the line. Hopefully with a new Killer Cuts CD.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Theyre doing it in seasons... KI is good but its tough to play. In sessions with buddies we usually bplay i t the least of the games in my library....

MK X needs to come out RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!!! I am so imoatient for this ine.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I've said for years MS will sell me a console when a new awesome KI drops. And that's ...happening. But I'm going to wait for them to finish releasing characters so I can get the whole thing in a bundle further down the line. Hopefully with a new Killer Cuts CD.
    They won't release a physical disc version. However, they had a pin set (like you wear and collect) for the game that came in a collectable box along with a download code for the Ultra Edition of the game (All season one characters (Chief Thunder, Orchid, Jago, Glacius, Sabrewulf, Sadira, Spinal and Fulgore), all DLC costume parts and a port of the original 1994 arcade KI).

I bought the Ultra Edition digitally and having the original arcade KI rules, even though it's hard.

Season two has revealed Maya (from KI2) and TJ Combo so far. They're pretty much gonna release all characters from the series (Riptor, Cinder, etc.).

Ugh! I so went off topic.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Okay so I went to a local bar the other night and saw an Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 machine and started playing.

My main go to character is Smoke so during the game a guy challenges me.

Robot Smoke was not working for me so switch to Human smoke and the dude goes "Holy Shit! How'd you do that?" Now I am playing a more Scorpion like character and whooped him good.

Who knew those button configurations would still be in my mind after all these years?!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    They won't release a physical disc version. However, they had a pin set (like you wear and collect) for the game that came in a collectable box along with a download code for the Ultra Edition of the game (All season one characters (Chief Thunder, Orchid, Jago, Glacius, Sabrewulf, Sadira, Spinal and Fulgore), all DLC costume parts and a port of the original 1994 arcade KI).

I bought the Ultra Edition digitally and having the original arcade KI rules, even though it's hard.

Season two has revealed Maya (from KI2) and TJ Combo so far. They're pretty much gonna release all characters from the series (Riptor, Cinder, etc.).

Ugh! I so went off topic.
    Cinder's the one I'm looking forward to most. That flash of light at the end of the Combo trailer left a big grin on my face. I remember way back when, a friend and I wanted to see how long we could keep his infinite flipkick/firedash combo going and we switched positions at the stick mid-combo twice so he could light a cigarette. Great times.

I hope they do KI2 at the end of Season 2. I was always a little bit better at that and really liked Tusk. Glad to see Maya's back, I was worried the KI2 guys would be forgotten. I've heard that they're not interested in revisiting Gargos or Eyedol though...

Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Okay so I went to a local bar the other night and saw an Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 machine and started playing.

My main go to character is Smoke so during the game a guy challenges me.

Robot Smoke was not working for me so switch to Human smoke and the dude goes "Holy Shit! How'd you do that?" Now I am playing a more Scorpion like character and whooped him good.

Who knew those button configurations would still be in my mind after all these years?!
    Represent. Smoke's been my main when available since MK3. The day the issue of Tips & Tricks came out with the Human Smoke code in it, I ran to the arcade to try it out. Freaked the hell out of the guy I fought.