Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Limp Bizkit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Wes is a weird dude. He has admitted many times he hates nu metal and thinks Limp Bizkit is beneath him yet he still stays in the band doing tour after tour. I guess the money is too good to pass up
    Well, it's easy money after all. Black Light Burns never went big, if that happened he would never be back on LB.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    He’s also said he’s gotten past the “it’s not cool” thing and says he loves the music he’s made in the band and loves performing the songs. People change.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure Wes does it more out of love than money, he's been in there for years, he's the "Paul" of Fred's "Gene"...

Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    I saw a recent interview with Fred, and, while his new "look" may have been a joke, he seems to have really, seriously lost a lot of that douchebag ego.

And, hell if they didn't win me over with that lolla set.

Wes is incredible (and how about that fucking four string guitar with the A tuned BASS string in place of the low E,) and DJ Lethal is amazing.
    And it seems like Fred has maybe finally gotten out of his own, and his band's, way.

Edit: also, MONEY? I don't think Limp Bizkit MAKES much money. Their last album went Gold, in Russia, and i think that's it. They've been a small venue act for a hot minute.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-05-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Edit: also, MONEY? I don't think Limp Bizkit MAKES much money. Their last album went Gold, in Russia, and i think that's it. They've been a small venue act for a hot minute.
    C'mon, nobody makes any money from the records anymore. It's all about touring, and that's why their setlist is still 75% Chocolate Starfish material.

My biggest issue with LB is the way they completely forgotten about Unquestionable Truth EP. That shit was their best material ever (musically), and Fred trying to get serious for a moment.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    The Truth is such a huge song.

Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    C'mon, nobody makes any money from the records anymore. It's all about touring, and that's why their setlist is still 75% Chocolate Starfish material.
    Right, but, it's not like they're playing big venues, you know? I brought up the album sales to speak to relevance.

They're making a LIVING playing intimate shows, but they sure aren't getting rich.
    I bet Wes could make more money playing for a more contemporary act.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    My biggest issue with LB is the way they completely forgotten about Unquestionable Truth EP. That shit was their best material ever (musically), and Fred trying to get serious for a moment.
    It's definitely their less embarrassing material. I'm not really a big fan of them. I find a lot of their tracks haven't aged well. But Unquestionable Truth showed some promise that they could make something more serious and with a message. Too bad they never delivered a part 2. It's the one album I can listen to from them that doesn't make me cringe.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Looking at their setlist history, they seem to do the legacy act European festival tour thing year after year so they must make good money in Europe. In America they seem to be relegated to small venue status which is why Lolla was their biggest gig in America in over a decade or so. I actually thought the first record 3 Dollar Bill was pretty decent. It was like they took 'Engine No. 9' and 'Teething' by the Deftones and made a whole album out of it......Everything after that was an abomination.....Significant Other abandoned any raw edge they had w their first album and was basically a rap rock radio friendly album for the TRL set. Chocolate Starfish is the biggest pile of frat bro shit I have ever heard. Nauseating. Every song was like "get da fuck up. dont mess wit da limp bizkit shit"....That Unquestionable Truth EP was laughable in the way it copied Rage Against The Machine. Like BLATANTLY. Theres a reason the Beastie Boys quickly abandoned their rap rock frat bro image from the 'Fight For Your Right To Party' era....Bizkit seemed to embrace that very same image.....I am just shocked so many Nine Inch Nails fans seem to be such Fred Durst stans. Maybe Trent can read this and get da Bizkit to open for NIN next summer?

Halsey/Bizkit/NIN tour? It would be worth it just to watch the NIN interweb world melt down
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell; 08-05-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    I'm not a limp bizkit fan, like, AT ALL. I thought they were cool for a minute, but they started losing me with Nookie, and Rolling was the final nail in the coffin.
    And I've never owned a LB album. I heard it on the radio, or at parties when I was 18 or whatever.
    I DAMN sure haven't heard any of these EPs you guys are discussing.
    But I still like some of their songs: the Faith cover, Rearranged, Counterfeit, the Mission Impossible one, and ESPECIALLY the one with Method Man from 99.

Look back on the third or fourth page of this thread and you'll see a story I told about being surprised by their show in the 90s when I wound up with a free Family Values ticket. It WAS a fun show. I was gonna leave before they came out, but, stuck around out of morbid curiosity, and, they were actually pretty damned good, to my utter amazement.

I felt the same way about this Lolla set.
    @Helpmeiaminhell PLEASE, for the love of god, don't mistake me for a Fred durst Stan, though.
    Hell, you seem to know more about him than I do, with this Unforgettable Truth EP talk.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-05-2021 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    I can’t believe there’s an active conversation goin on about Limp Bizkit and nobody has mentioned this intense and horrifying documentary on HBO about Woodstock 99, which pretty much comes across as the biggest white male crybaby rape party, with Limp Bizkit at the peak of their career steering the douchebag MTV cruise into the iceberg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I canít believe thereís an active conversation goin on about Limp Bizkit and nobody has mentioned this intense and horrifying documentary on HBO about Woodstock 99, which pretty much comes across as the biggest white male crybaby rape party, with Limp Bizkit at the peak of their career steering the douchebag MTV cruise into the iceberg
    I don't blame Limp Bizkit for being Limp Bizkit in that moment, I blame everyone who, even if it was unknowingly, set the entire thing up to be the powder keg it was.

Was Limp Bizkit ultimately the match? Yeah, but they didn't put the kindling there (excuse the too on the nose metaphor.) They did what they were hired to do - be Limp Bizkit.

Watching the full doc, they paint a pretty clear picture that it was not set up to be nor was it at any point the peaceful, loving Woodstock everyone thought. And by the time Limp Bizkit got on stage it was already clearly trending that way. It could've easily been another band like Rage or Korn that day that got painted in that light but didn't. Hell, RHCP literally played FIRE while fires raged and they don't get nearly the blame LB does in the doc. They could've just as easily been in Limp Bizkit's slot and faced the same repercussions.

It's more of a wrong band, wrong place, wrong time, in my eyes than it is so much their fault. I don't blame them - and I cant fucking stand Limp Bizkit

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    I can’t believe there’s an active conversation goin on about Limp Bizkit and nobody has mentioned this intense and horrifying documentary on HBO about Woodstock 99, which pretty much comes across as the biggest white male crybaby rape party, with Limp Bizkit at the peak of their career steering the douchebag MTV cruise into the iceberg
    Actually Fred mentioned it on the Lolla set, he said "fuck that shit".

It's not like it was their fault, not all their fans are/were douchebags

Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Dude, I don't think that was Limp Bizkit's fault: the Woodstock 99 debacle, I mean.

Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    I’m really just surprised the discussion about the doc wasn’t happening, when really it’s the first time they’ve popped on my radar in over a decade at least.

i don’t know if I would say something dumb like it’s the artist’s fault... but the doc makes some good points. If you watch it, the audience is comprised of 85% pissed off shirtless young white guys amped to see Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock... though I get that the onus really falls on the promoters and handlers, so of course the douche promoter guy in the doc blames LB completely, and even basically infers that all the female nudity was basically asking for sexual assault.

At the same time, nobody really points the blame at Kid Rock or other aggressive pissed off acts who also played, like Rage or Metallica. It actually throws more criticism at RHCP for covering “Fire” while the crowd burned shit and blocked the fire trucks. But really, there’s more blame pointed towards LB than any other performer, and that includes Insane Clown Posse. I wonder how much blame they deserve, but the “point” the doc makes and keeps going back to was that the lineup seemed to cater to pissed unfocused testosterone rage, and they sent people out to tell Durst to calm the crowd down instead he encouraged people to crowd surf on plywood boards from structures they were destroying... and maybe Limp Bizkit helming this rape infested d-bag festival was just asking for this perfect storm?

I’d even say the doc is clearly slanted in presentation, but it’s hard to look at the footage and not conclude that they were the biggest current band on that lineup at the time, and that in general that frat bro fest really does paint their primary demographic in a pretty bad light... and maybe I’ve missed it, but has Durst ever responded in a way that isn’t about exonerating himself? Has he ever suggested that the droves of fans who came out and largely participated in the craziest thing.. did Durst ever say anything like “hey if you’re one of the tens of thousands of dudes who call themselves fans of our music... if you groped a girl crowd surfing, or was part of a gang of guys who stood around and watched (or participated in) rampant sexual assault while we were the soundtrack, fuck off, we don’t want your money?”

All I’ve heard him say is “it wasn’t our fault.”

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Itís August 2021 and LB seems more relevant than NIN at the moment. Never thought they would be relevant to any degree again actually. Bizarro times indeed.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    @Jinsai
    Also, the doc had Jonathan Davis in it with him giving his opinion on the festival, but the doc also seems to ignore that a horrible gang rape happened during Korn's set.

To be honest, I put a huge part of the blame on MTV. They tried to make it like they were the enemy at Woodstock 1999 so they could avoid taking any of the blame for a generation they raised. This was the MTV Spring Break generation. MTV's Spring Break were week long events promoting and celebrating this type of drunken frat boy behavior and the objectification of women. Interestingly enough, Flea and Chad Smith of Red Hot Chili Peppers were even charged of sexual assault back in 1990 during MTV's Spring Break to film a performance. It's a pretty disgusting story for those who search and read about it. But this type of behavior had been brewing for years and celebrated by MTV, culminating with Woodstock 1999. And funny how Red Hot Chili Peppers were there at Woodstock 1999 with Flea running around fully naked. MTV can try to weasel their way out of it and pretend like they had no responsibility. I was a teenager during all of this,, and even I could see it. I put a good chunk of the blame on the organizers and MTV. The bands were just doing what they're known for. If the organizers wanted a hippie festival, they sure picked the wrong artists. But they wanted to make money and knew a hippie music festival, even with the name Woodstock, would not sell like the epitome of MTV generation we got at Woodstock 1999. 1994 or 1999, it's been a half ass, fly by the seat of your pants festival since 1969, becoming more and more a cash grab with each one.

I also think we like to fantasize about Woodstock 1969. We have an idealized version of events brought to you by marketing and a movie to make you believe it was all peace and love. Meanwhile 1969 was also an event on the brink of disaster. But most people remember 1969 from the movie, not the actual events. Actually, both Woodstock 1969 and 1994 had deaths and overdoses, but that stuff gets glossed over. Honestly, it's a festival that should have died and they should stop trying to resurrect it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    The part where the doc fucked up is they did not interview Durst at all. This dude Sam Dunn did a 12 part special for VH1 a few years ago called Metal Evolution. He devoted 1 episode to nu metal and they did a segment on Woodstock 99. In that doc, Jonathan Davis rips Durst a new asshole and said he instigated the whole thing. Yet for the HBO doc, JD says Durst didnt do anything wrong lol. Durst actually got interviewed for the Metal Evolution doc and went into detail about it.....Found it on YT....28 mins in is when the Woodstock segment comes up

Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Do you really think they didn't ask Fred Durst for an interview though? I don't think they would have turned that down to sell a narrative that silenced Durst in order to dress him as a villain here. I would be surprised if they weren't hoping for an interview moment with him to be the focal point of the documentary.

I'm pretty sure they asked for interviews with everyone involved. They even gave that promoter guy a huge pulpit to excuse himself. They talked to Jonathan Davis and the Creed dude.
    I'm absolutely willing to bet they would have loved to have gotten an interview clip or two from anyone in Limp Bizkit or Kid Rock. I'd be shocked if they weren't at least sent a request.

Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    I’m really just surprised the discussion about the doc wasn’t happening, when really it’s the first time they’ve popped on my radar in over a decade...

All I’ve heard him say is “it wasn’t our fault.”
    Well...dude, it wasn't. It REALLY wasn't.
    And, what, you were seriously waiting for some eloquent line in the sand from... and I mean, seriously, now...from... from a young Fred Durst?

You know who let us crowd surf on giant pieces of plywood, which we also used to throw people 20 feet in the air, from a floor we'd torn up, underneath which was like, hockey ice?
    Mr. Trent Jesus Reznor. Yeah, he came out and said something after about, you know, an hour, because he was afraid of what might happen if people threw wood at Jim Rose Circus. And Melvins encouraged it for a long, hot minute.
    It was interesting to see blood actually bouncing on ice that night.

I say all that to say, that I don't think horrific crowd behavior is generally the BAND'S fault. Furthermore, I feel like making the sort of statement you wanted to hear would have been tantamount to an admission of guilt, more or less.
    And, again, it wasn't their fault.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    @elevenism Also, the people were ripping off the plywood and surfing on it all on their own. Durst didn't tell them to do it. Break Stuff wasn't even performed yet when people were already doing it. Blaming Fred Durst is a cop out that ignores the real problem.

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    which pretty much comes across as the biggest white male crybaby rape party
    Did you use these descriptive words in 1999 when this happened or is it a recent phenomenon?

Woodstock was more responsible than anyone for the shit that transpired.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Did you use these descriptive words in 1999 when this happened or is it a recent phenomenon?
    Dude does this in practically every thread on ETS. Posts these embarrassing cringetastic tirades full of cancel culture buzz words like "the biggest white male crybaby rape party"..lmao wtf does that even mean? I would be embarrassed to talk like that, let alone post it for everyone to read..

Limp Dipshits certainly didn't help matters with their set at Woodstock '99, but the RHCP playing "Fire" while the place was burning to the ground? Yea, that was a brilliant idea. Like Neo said a few posts up, that whole thing never, ever should have happened..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This thread is hilarious. Limp Bizkit rising from the grave, I think not. Based on these responses, I checked out a little of the lolla show. I liked them when album 1 came out, but by the faith video, i was done and they were a joke to most.
    So this incredible show consisted of Fred Durst talking waaay too much, acting like a douche wearing a MJK outfit, giving his thoughts on other current artists and speaking about peaks and valleys lol. Yes fred, those are good, but not in EVERY FUCKING SONG. I saw each song breakdown into a quiet fred monlogue, only for the payoff to happen and feel empty. I saw the DJ, play some party favs (hip hop hooray, house of pain( i get it, he was in the band)) like it was a house party. Of course everyone is going to freak out to those songs, but that is too easy no? This is a live show and you are now pressing play on songs from other eras. Then to cap it off, the mighty biscuit ends the show with yet another recording of a song (not a good song either, sounded like that my dick song) so they can walk the crowd and give out free swag that will most likely be used to clean up vomit in a few hours. Sure, wes is ok. But even his schtick couldnt redeem this show in my opinion.
    Yes guys, this band is back. Same as ever.

Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

Woodstock was more responsible than anyone for the shit that transpired.
    not sure what is being suggested here, but I definitely had some negative stuff to say at the time. Specifically I remember thinking that when Reznor said Durst “can surf a plywood board up my ass” I thought that was a fair use of words at the time

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    It's funny how this thread is becoming the "Manson thread", lol

I think the fact that people are talking about LB (either positively or negatively), proves their "comeback" was a success, this is exactly what Fred wanted...

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    If you watch it, the audience is comprised of 85% pissed off shirtless young white guys amped to see Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock...”
    As opposed to the pissed off shirtless young white guys amped to see NIN? ESPECIALLY in the 90s. Pretty much guarantee a lot of those people who were going to Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit shows were also going to NIN shows....

Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    As opposed to the pissed off shirtless young white guys amped to see NIN? ESPECIALLY in the 90s. Pretty much guarantee a lot of those people who were going to Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit shows were also going to NIN shows....
    and I’m pretty sure I can come up with a billion anecdotes where he told them to fuck off, which is really what I’m saying is all Durst should have done instead of crying about how he was blameless. And anyone whining about “cancel culture” can fuuuuuck off.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)

it popped across my timeline and seemed relevant.