Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Limp Bizkit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Unfortunately the band is stifled by Fred’s inability to write meaningful lyrics. He has nothing to say. He tries to rely on catchphrases. It’s unfortunate because he’s had moments of decent lyrics with something to actually say. What he produces cheapens the overall product.

musically, they sound pretty good. Wes has solid riffs, the drums are always good. Honestly if the guys just reformed with a new singer, they’d probably have success.

and I say this all as someone who was 12 years old and loved limpbizkt. I’m still technically a moderator on the limpbizkit version of ETS, although I rarely post anymore. It seems as though, as others have said, Fred has settled that this will be his prime money maker at this point. He tried to distance himself from LB and move into directing movies. It didn’t really pan out. So he knows this is his best option to keep the money flowing, but he’s not really in it.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    LB getting rid of FD is like Motley Crüe getting rid of Vince Neil. Would be a horrible decision.

People are taking this shit too seriously lol. Go have some fun with music, Im attempting to not be too much of a prick about it anymore. People need to relax on the politics too for reasons already said.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    Unfortunately the band is stifled by Fred’s inability to write meaningful lyrics. He has nothing to say. He tries to rely on catchphrases. It’s unfortunate because he’s had moments of decent lyrics with something to actually say. What he produces cheapens the overall product.

musically, they sound pretty good. Wes has solid riffs, the drums are always good. Honestly if the guys just reformed with a new singer, they’d probably have success.

and I say this all as someone who was 12 years old and loved limpbizkt. I’m still technically a moderator on the limpbizkit version of ETS, although I rarely post anymore. It seems as though, as others have said, Fred has settled that this will be his prime money maker at this point. He tried to distance himself from LB and move into directing movies. It didn’t really pan out. So he knows this is his best option to keep the money flowing, but he’s not really in it.
    I've liked them for awhile primarily due to their groove. The actual band (Wes etc.) have a hell of a groove, it's hard to find in rock music and especially modern rock.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I've liked them for awhile primarily due to their groove. The actual band (Wes etc.) have a hell of a groove, it's hard to find in rock music and especially modern rock.
    and I just found myself struggling to suggest what I guess is “better,” and realized relative musical “worth” is generally a concept that doesn’t apply here.... because this band really did invent a genre and then be awful about it.... but I won’t suggest anyone check out some deep cuts from Papa Roach. It actually is fair to say they are the best band that ever did whatever this is.

but right now I’m begging to hear somebody explain why Rage Against the Machine wasn’t just the blueprint for this, but why did they go along with it all while angrily objecting to everything the band was about

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    But, I'll agree that he never turned into a rock cliche, and seems to still actively avoid the whole "celebrity" thing...except for those pants. That's the ONE thing. I'll never be able to get the image of Trent dancing in those Justin bieber pants out of my head, even if I bleach my eyes. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    Agreed. In my opinion, those pants were the death of the Tension blu ray. He saw what others saw and noped the thing out of existence.
    Just stopping by to say that drop-crotch or 'harem' pants are really fucking comfy - I wear them all the time (right now, actually ). Once you've spent a little time in them ordinary jeans feel terribly constrictive.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Beastie Boys invented nu metal. "Fight For Your Right To Party" basically birthed an entire genre. Poor Ad Rock, Mike D and MCA had no idea the monster they created w that 1 song and video. The smart bands were the ones who dabbled in nu metal and then bailed to move on to bigger and better things (Faith No More, Deftones, System of a Down).....The bands that based their whole image and sound around nu metal are some of the worst bands ever put in existence. Limp Bizkit started out as a Deftones clone band but by album 2 they were finished and full on jock rock trash. Crazy Town and Papa Roach and Linkin Park and Kid Rock and Sevendust are some of the worst shit ever. Mudvayne and Puddle of Mud were also shitbombs.....Korn gets grouped into that genre but these bands make Korn look like fuckin Nirvana in comparison...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Just stopping by to say that drop-crotch or 'harem' pants are really fucking comfy - I wear them all the time (right now, actually ). Once you've spent a little time in them ordinary jeans feel terribly constrictive.
    I wouldve guessed that the vinyl pants would age worse with time. No the MOTP video still looks badass, the short shorts with fishnets underneath are fine, but the harem pants from a handful of years back seem bizarre.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    I wouldve guessed that the vinyl pants would age worse with time. No the MOTP video still looks badass, the short shorts with fishnets underneath are fine, but the harem pants from a handful of years back seem bizarre.
    Well it's true that they weren't really part of any kind of broader nin/band aesthetic, which the other cases you mention were, arguably, so they do seem a little incongruous in a way that the others do not. But of the tight leathers, short-shorts with fishnets, and the harem pants, I know which I'd rather wear!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Well it's true that they weren't really part of any kind of broader nin/band aesthetic, which the other cases you mention were, arguably, so they do seem a little incongruous in a way that the others do not. But of the tight leathers, short-shorts with fishnets, and the harem pants, I know which I'd rather wear!
    Cant disagree with that, if lounging around the house. If on stage...maybe not so much. But who am i to judge those that want to look like their legs are really really small.
    Anyways, back to the Biz. Hows about that Dad vibes song?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Beastie Boys invented nu metal. "Fight For Your Right To Party" basically birthed an entire genre. Poor Ad Rock, Mike D and MCA had no idea the monster they created w that 1 song and video. The smart bands were the ones who dabbled in nu metal and then bailed to move on to bigger and better things (Faith No More, Deftones, System of a Down).....The bands that based their whole image and sound around nu metal are some of the worst bands ever put in existence. Limp Bizkit started out as a Deftones clone band but by album 2 they were finished and full on jock rock trash. Crazy Town and Papa Roach and Linkin Park and Kid Rock and Sevendust are some of the worst shit ever. Mudvayne and Puddle of Mud were also shitbombs.....Korn gets grouped into that genre but these bands make Korn look like fuckin Nirvana in comparison...
    To me, Aerosmith and Run DMC with "Walk this Way" and Anthrax with Public Enemy with "Bring the Noise", are the earliest "Rap-Metal" songs.

"Fusion groups" like Faith No More, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Beastie Boys, R.A.T.M., Body Count, Urban Dance Squad and Infectious Grooves were very important to the genre and influenced lots of Nu Metal acts.
    I also remember the "Judgment Night" soundtrack being very important for "Rap-Rock"; it's no coincidence one year later, Korn's first album showed up in the charts...

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I just want to put it on record that I would die for Limp Bizkit and Fred Durst is a national treasure.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I just want to put it on record that I would die for Limp Bizkit and Fred Durst is a national treasure.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    To me, Aerosmith and Run DMC with "Walk this Way" and Anthrax with Public Enemy with "Bring the Noise", are the earliest "Rap-Metal" songs.

"Fusion groups" like Faith No More, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Beastie Boys, R.A.T.M., Body Count, Urban Dance Squad and Infectious Grooves were very important to the genre and influenced lots of Nu Metal acts.
    I also remember the "Judgment Night" soundtrack being very important for "Rap-Rock"; it's no coincidence one year later, Korn's first album showed up in the charts...
    Always amazed Helmet doesn't get more credit (depending on your perspective, I guess) for ushering in the nu-metal / hard rock style.

Agree it's fine to take music seriously and some bands basically demand it. That said, there are plenty who don't and shouldn't be and LB falls squarely into this category. I fully understand not liking them but getting worked up in any way about it seems silly.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Always amazed Helmet doesn't get more credit (depending on your perspective, I guess) for ushering in the nu-metal / hard rock style.
    Well, Helmet does appear on the Judgement Night soundtrack i mentioned, but i agree, Deftones covered "Sinatra" and the first KORN album had a huge Helmet influence.
    Helmet had this "alternative metal" aura that was also very important for Nu-Metal (not just the DJ's and the rapping...)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    The Judgment Night soundtrack was pretty sick......Mike Patton screaming all over 'Another Body Murdered' because he didnt feel like recording lyrics. J Mascis shredding guitar to a Del the Funky Homosapien track. Sonic fucking Youth and Cypress Hill together. Slayer and Ice T together. Eddie Vedder walking out of the recording session after 1 hour and never coming back because he didn't want to be bothered lmao.

Korn is a weird one....They had no rapping on their 1st album. The only rapping on the 2nd album was done by Chino. The only album where they seemed to embrace nu metal was the big hit radio friendly album Follow The Leader....On the 1st album they seemed to be put into the Faith No More "fusion alt metal" category...They toured w everyone from Danzig to Manson to fucking No Doubt because nobody knew what to do with them..Then by album 2 they tour w Deftones and buddy up to Limp Bizkit and suddenly were put into the "nu metal" genre....

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Judgement Night ST is badass! Still listen to it from time to time. “When collaborations go well” isn’t something I can type very often.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Best song on there was the one by Teenage Fanclub and De La though.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    And really though, does it help much to demonize numetal or think too much about it. Maybe the Beastie Boys played a part, maybe Rage did too... but at least The Beastie Boys apologized for their bullshit, and Rage had nothing to apologize for

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    This is another of those bands like Manson that I’ve never paid attention to and just laughed off, so I have nothing to add here, except ask why Fred Durst wore that wig and looked like that at those recent shows? My curiosity got the better of me and I had to look at a song or two. I won’t even ask about Wes’s outfit.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    And really though, does it help much to demonize numetal or think too much about it. Maybe the Beastie Boys played a part, maybe Rage did too... but at least The Beastie Boys apologized for their bullshit, and Rage had nothing to apologize for
    Speaking of Beastie Boys, I remember back in 1998, there was a little incident between the Beastie Boys and The Prodigy at Reading Festival. Beastie Boys were speaking out against their track "Smack My Bitch Up," even though the song nor lyric sampled does not have anything to do with beating women. Before The Prodigy played Reading, the Beastie Boys had rung up the band and told them not to perform "Smack My Bitch Up."

Well, Maxim had a little something to say about that night at Reading '98...

They went right into "Smack My Bitch Up" after this. Liam Howlett was actually a little hurt by the Beastie Boys speaking out against them as the band were huge fans of them, even sampling a Beastie Boys vocal on their album The Fat Of The Land. You would think the Beastie Boys being part of the whole hip hop world would know that the lyric sampled in "Smack My Bitch Up" is a b-boy term/saying meaning to go out and do your thing. Other hip hop artists defended The Prodigy, including DJ Muggs of Cypress Hill who said it means to "handle your business" and that "anyone who's into hip hop must know that." The Prodigy also found it hypocritical coming from the Beastie Boys with their history of raunchy lyrics and behavior. As another little jab, Liam Howlett made sure to include some of Beastie Boys' controversial and misogynistic lyrics in his DJ mix album The Dirtchamber Sessions Vol. 1 in 1999. He also mixes in the original Ultramagnetic MCs track and lyric sampled on "Smack My Bitch Up."
    Last edited by neorev; 08-14-2021 at 02:08 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    nu metal stays winning !!

please don't compare Fred to Manson, Fred's much more self aware and lacks any pretensions.

Limp Bizkit is not my favorite nu metal band but their guitars still kick ass
    Last edited by HWB; 08-14-2021 at 02:27 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Love Beastie Boys but they got a little cringe when they became woke in the late 90s. I could care less about Prodigy, but telling them not to play their song because it offends you is a little much. Esp when Mike D has lyrics about "the girlies that I like are underage" off License To Ill lmao. Having listened to a lot of Beastie Boys bootlegs, they would actually censor themselves during live performances and change lyrics up from older songs.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Love Beastie Boys but they got a little cringe when they became woke in the late 90s. I could care less about Prodigy, but telling them not to play their song because it offends you is a little much. Esp when Mike D has lyrics about "the girlies that I like are underage" off License To Ill lmao. Having listened to a lot of Beastie Boys bootlegs, they would actually censor themselves during live performances and change lyrics up from older songs.
    Liam Howlett made sure to use that very lyric on his DJ mix, overlaying "The New Style" over "Spybreak!" by Propellerheads.
    Last edited by neorev; 08-14-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Don't we have a general nu-metal thread? Half of last two pages belong there and have nothing do to with LB

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Don't we have a general nu-metal thread? Half of last two pages belong there and have nothing do to with LB
    but do we need to bump that thread too right now? The thing is, I’d say the only reason we are talking about nu-metal is because the band here pretty much WERE the genre at its apex... and I don’t have my finger on the pulse really here, but there is (hopefully) not about to be a 2nd moment of that.

Regarding that moment where Beastie Boys tried to call out Prodigy was a really lame moment, and trying to save Tibet doesn’t completely compensate for hypocrisy.

But if Limp Bizkit is getting “big” again, imo part of the discussion has to do with a band that didn’t just make music. They were part of an industry concept push. Durst basically ran Interscope for a minute. To say we shouldn’t talk about “where’d this mainstream genre tag come from and what is it really all about” avoids a very vital part of their huge appeal

its not drift any more than asking “so what was ‘grunge’ really” if we talk about Nirvana. I consider it related, though really it’s the attitude and general sales pitch here, and I don’t have to know ANYTHING about LB’s music to notice there is a connection to that attitude to say there’s a problematic thing here with their miracle comeback.

Really though, they just stole from shit like 311 on a musical level, but really “the music” isn’t the issue. Mashing up hip hop and rock isn’t an exciting idea. Musically there are a billion worse bands out there... and I would say that almost all of them are way less full of shit while they myopically pushed an industry towards catering to some pretty shitty people.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-14-2021 at 06:21 PM.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Speaking of Beastie Boys, I remember back in 1998, there was a little incident between the Beastie Boys and The Prodigy at Reading Festival. Beastie Boys were speaking out against their track "Smack My Bitch Up," even though the song nor lyric sampled does not have anything to do with beating women...
    WAIT wait wait @neorev . Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that KOOL KEITH, aka Underwear Pissy, aka Dicky Long Docking, aka one of the most offensive rappers of all time, was somehow NOT talking about beating women when he rapped "Switch up change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up like a pimp?"
    REALLY?

Do you LISTEN to Kool Keith? Have you HEARD Dr. Octagonecologist?
    Have you heard The SONG "Smack My Bitch Up," by Ultramagnetic MCs? It's INSANELY blatantly about beating women, and some other more WORSE shit I won't mention here.

Look, dude. I love The Prodigy. You do, too. And I agree that the Beastie Boys thing was hypocritical.

But dude, I'm sorry. Go back and listen to those records, ESPECIALLY Smack My Bitch Up by Ultramagnetic.
    It's NOT some "hood term." If it is, I'VE never heard it in the hood. It's a term that the most offensive rapper this side of 2 Live Crew and early OF used on multiple songs.

All we can do is own it. It's just a sample.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    WAIT wait wait @neorev . Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that KOOL KEITH, aka Underwear Pissy, aka Dicky Long Docking, aka one of the most offensive rappers of all time, was somehow NOT talking about beating women when he rapped "Switch up change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up like a pimp?"
    REALLY?

Do you LISTEN to Kool Keith? Have you HEARD Dr. Octagonecologist?
    Have you heard The SONG "Smack My Bitch Up," by Ultramagnetic MCs? It's INSANELY blatantly about beating women, and some other more WORSE shit I won't mention here.

Look, dude. I love The Prodigy. You do, too. And I agree that the Beastie Boys thing was hypocritical.

But dude, I'm sorry. Go back and listen to those records, ESPECIALLY Smack My Bitch Up by Ultramagnetic.
    It's NOT some "hood term." If it is, I'VE never heard it in the hood. It's a term that the most offensive rapper this side of 2 Live Crew and early OF used on multiple songs.

All we can do is own it. It's just a sample.
    I did listen to Ultramagnetic MC's "Give The Drummer Some" from their 1988 album Critical Beatdown, where the lyric is sampled from. So I gotta ask, did you even listen to it?

You're talking about a completely different track, an unreleased song that they threw on a compilation CD 10 years later in 1998. We're talking about "Give The Drummer Some." This would be like bringing up "Big Man With A Gun" when discussing "Closer" and trying to say "Closer" condones rape because of "Big Man With A Gun." No, they're different songs. But if you actually read the lyrics of "Give The Drummer Some", the intention behind the lyric is quite clear and obvious. I know Kool Keith and the raunchy side he plays up. But "Give A Drummer Some" is a battle rap. It's about Kool Keith versus other MCs. He literally says "do my own thing" right before the two lines you quoted. Kool Keith may be raunchy and offensive, but the track is not at all about beating women. Again, the line has been defended by other hip hop artists. I think I'm going to respect DJ Muggs of Cypress Hill, an actual hip hop artist, who expressed what the line in "Give The Drummer Some" meant. And once you read all of Kool Keith's verses, you see that this is a battle track about him versus other MCs.

Here are Kool Keith's raps...

I'm ready
    And now it's my turn to build
    Uplift, get swift, then drift
    Off, and do my own thing
    Switch up
    Change my pitch up
    Smack my bitch up, like a pimp
    For any rapper who attempt to wear Troop's
    And step on my path
    I'm willing as a A-1 General
    Rhyme Enforcer 235 on a rhyme test
    Whatever group or vest in line
    I put 'em all behind
    Play MC Ultra as a warning sign of my
    Skill, and what my mind deserves
    I smell a grape in the duck preserves
    And who deserves the right to be king of the screen
    And shout wack poetry
    What, are you buggin'
    Germs that want to law me
    Quit it, before I heat your ear off
    Let your burn deduct another year off rappin'
    For a face I'm slappin'
    Gimme applause when hands start clappin'
    Now give the drummer some

Some rappers are ratin' us
    Some are hatin' us
    Some are talkin'
    Some debatin' us
    Critically, but physically my mind is
    Self-taught like a rap pro designed us
    A matter to burn MC's and toys with
    Flame, 500 degrees of
    Rhymes, that heat and cook and
    Sizzle, your brain is on the grill at
    Nighttime, and what about the daytime
    I hear the wack ones, they get a lot of playtime
    Saying they're wack and wastin' my airtime
    You're #2 and next in my spare time
    Another rhyme has to be controllin'
    And for your brain, it must have been stolen
    Tookin', yes, taken away
    I'm on the court, and I'm fading away with a
    Jumper, I shoot a rhyme in your face
    Add the points while I rob the bass
    Incredible, come in three dimensions
    Parallel with the funky extensions
    I'm Kool Keith runnin' rap conventions on time
    Now give the drummer some

Does this come off as a song about beating women? No, it's about doing your thing and doing it your way with expertise and intensity. It's about how the way you handle your business and do your thing is above all others. It's talking smack to all other rappers who think they're better than you.

Also, the saying "smack my bitch up" is known to be a drug reference for shooting up heroin, which is something also featured in a scene in the uncensored music video to "Smack My Bitch Up."

The original cover to the Prodigy single was a VW Beetle wrapped around a light pole as a way of saying a bitch could be anything. It doesn't have to mean a woman. They only decided against the cover after Princess Di died in a car crash just before its release. Out of respect, they replaced it with a breakdancer in mid flip taken from a breakdance battle. Another nod to the old school hip hop inspiration of the song. All to point out how a lyric doesn't have to be taken so literal. A lyric could represent something else entirely.

Original cover art

Official cover art

Inside artwork
    Last edited by neorev; 08-15-2021 at 01:56 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    btw rapping is not needed in nu metal it doesn't decide nu metal

hence why korn didn't rap for the most part. I don't remember Slipknot having much rap after debut either. It can be in nu metal but it's not a needed thing.
    Last edited by HWB; 08-15-2021 at 01:05 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Speaking of rap in nu metal. Heres this little ditty by Korn and Freddy Durst.....The biggest low point of Jonathan Davis' career....and just another song from Fred Durst

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    @neorev , funnily enough, i heard that song on rock the bells day before yesterday.

And, yeah, i can see how you can take it as battle rap style. But he's STILL comparing what he's doing to the other MC's as what pimps do to their bitches, right?
    I don't know. I honestly don't care. But i do LISTEN to Kool Keith from time to time, and he says some of the most godawful shit i've ever heard, to the point where it's funny. I've never felt the need to do a deep dive into his lyrics. So when i hear him say something about "smacking bitches," i assume he's referring to...you know...i assume it's like all his OTHER outlandish references to hitting women. What can i say?

As far as heroin slang...what's heroin?
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-15-2021 at 01:19 PM.