Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Limp Bizkit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    It's funny how this thread is becoming the "Manson thread", lol

I think the fact that people are talking about LB (either positively or negatively), proves their "comeback" was a success, this is exactly what Fred wanted...
    I think direct lines can be drawn between the Manson thread and this one.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    These goofy dudes came on stage at Lollapalooza and killed it and reminded me to just have fun and appreciate what's there in life, you know what I mean? I didn't hate any of that Lollapalooza performance, I was just surprised by how good it sounded, you'd think it would sound like ass but it was the total opposite. I loved Limp Bizkit when I was 9-10 years old back in 2000, they very unique for it's time and I can safely say that I think they still are unique, there's nothing like that even though there were many attempts by other bands out there.

I stopped caring about the band as I got older and shit on them like everyone else was just because it was the cool thing to do but I'm 30 years old now and I honestly don't give a shit about what I listen to anymore and have no qualms if anybody knows. I was listening to Britney Spears and a bunch of easy listening the other day, that's how much I don't care now. I don't like some aspects of Limp Bizkit's music but I cannot deny the talent and the sound they get, Wes Borland is nuts, John Otto is nuts, etc. It's good music but not in the way you would expect it.

This band once opened for two of my favorite bands ever, Primus and Faith No More, now if that isn't an endorsement of their talent then I don't know what is.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 08-06-2021 at 11:11 PM.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    That show was super nice! Saw Limp Bizkit in 2009 and 2019 and thought both shows were pretty solid. Definitely more on the fun side of things and people went crazy. I gues they did admit that they are a fun band playing it huge with nostalgia and just having fun. Then again, Borland and Rivers are respected musicians that can create a pretty thight flow.

Looking forward to the record, will listen to it for 4 weeks, enjoy it and then forget about it soon. And that's perfectly fine.

And wtf at Marc Rebillet at the end? Nice!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Limp Bizkit sales doubled since Lolla

https://www.nme.com/news/music/limp-...za-set-3013329

Bear in mind this whole pop tik tok generation worships horrible white rappers and if they are just discovering Fred Durst.....He may be a god to them....

Return of the Bizkit 2.0?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    For fuck's sake, please no. Not a fucking Limp Dipshits resurgence..

Why, world, fucking why. After all this, now this..?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    For fuck's sake, please no. Not a fucking Limp Dipshits resurgence..

Why, world, fucking why. After all this, now this..?
    LOL... Thanks for contributing.
    Have you watched that documentary yet?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    The LB hype train may have just derailed lol. Shows are now PPed/cancelled through about August, and sounds like it’s COVID related.

Unfortunately that tend will only probably pick up in the coming weeks.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Make no mistake though... this comeback push isn’t over, this is an industry moment. The heads want a moment that’s a rock return to the last time they controlled your musical taste. Durst and Iovine were sending angry letters to radio stations around that moment, attacking them for not playing the Limp Bizkit quota they paid for... and this was all coded in what looks like drug dealer language, hinting and threatening and insinuating that they’re being given an offer they shouldn’t refuse...

then along came mainstream file sharing, and the bro fest fucked off... but, there’s people who seem to not get what the problem was, and they’re the same people who seem to be directionlessly annoyed by some popularity resurgence while they simultaneously seem baffled by “what’s the appeal here.”

connect the dots. I get the people who are having a nostalgic fan moment for something, and they don’t need to feel like they should apologize for liking shitty music, and that’s fair.

Similarly... you don’t have to feel like you’re under attack when people say this is music that attracts douchebags. Like what you like.

but me.. I dunno, maybe I’m nostalgic for that time period where everyone agreed this was bullshit music.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    It's funny how this thread is becoming the "Manson thread", lol

I think the fact that people are talking about LB (either positively or negatively), proves their "comeback" was a success, this is exactly what Fred wanted...
    Holy fucking rock and roll Jesus.

I was going to react to a post from @henryeatscereal and then, I saw that the page was up to 18.

I'll be damned. I've never owned a LB album, but, JESUS- Whatever they're doing right now, well...it's working.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-07-2021 at 07:40 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

it popped across my timeline and seemed relevant.
    "As with every alt-rock goliath from Nirvana through Smashing Pumpkins and Nine Inch Nails to Slipknot and Eminem, it's angst that fuels their fire. Alt-rock's appeal is that it makes white male teenagers feel hard done by. But while others dress it up with wit or metaphor, Durst offers blunt, twisted machismo."

I feel like this is a pretty acurate assessment. In a way Nirvana, SP and a few years later NIN paved the way for artists like Manson, LB, Eminem or Korn etc. It's also kind of why some of TR's lyrics always bothered me.

It may be also the reason for Borland's confusion on display in this interview: "They've got us totally wrong. I don't understand. Trent Reznor is still a huge influence on me, so tho have people that you look up to turn on you is kind of disheartening".

Borland sounds pretty cool though: "He namechecks such unlikely influences as Steven Hawkings, Terry Gilliam, Portishead and Aphex Twin. He's currently raving about 'XTMNTR'..."

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    I think direct lines can be drawn between the Manson thread and this one.
    My point was: If people in here hate LB and think they are so "uncool", why post here?

I get the phenomenon of their "comeback" is interesting, and i watched the HBO documentary (BTW, i hated Moby's self righteous declarations...), but the posts saying: "OMG, please Limp Bizkit don't come back ever again...", sound even more passionate than the ones of those who still like the band, and this has "Manson thread vibes".

Also:
    I don't think there will be a "resurgence" of LB and the Nu Metal genre, but it's hilarious to see how hurt, the "intellectuals" are about it...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I think the thing about LB is that despite what people think of Fred, the music going on behind has always been very unique and solid, definitely due to Wes' techniques.

My favourite record has always been Results May Vary (which is weird as Wes wasn't even on that one) but his work is what keeps me coming back. I will definitely check out a new record if it comes. They scheduled a tour date at Manchester Academy in the UK which sold out in around 1 minute, which I absolutely would have loved to have gone to.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    My point was: If people in here hate LB and think they are so "uncool", why post here?

I get the phenomenon of their "comeback" is interesting, and i watched the HBO documentary (BTW, i hated Moby's self righteous declarations...), but the posts saying: "OMG, please Limp Bizkit don't come back ever again...", sound even more passionate than the ones of those who still like the band, and this has "Manson thread vibes".

Also:
    I don't think there will be a "resurgence" of LB and the Nu Metal genre, but it's hilarious to see how hurt, the "intellectuals" are about it...
    I was referring to the posts you noted as well as some of the posters themselves.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Borland sounds pretty cool though: "He namechecks such unlikely influences as Steven Hawkings, Terry Gilliam, Portishead and Aphex Twin. He's currently raving about 'XTMNTR'..."
    I just remembered two random quotes about Wes (who I admire, and I've enjoyed BLB and his Holy Mountain-inspired album):

"I think Limp Bizkit are kinda lame myself, but I like Wes a lot." - Lustmord

"If Wes was actually cool, he'd have bailed from LB before Three Dollar Bill, Y'all$ was out. Hell, he'd have bailed the moment "Three Dollar Bill, Y'all$" was pitched as a potential title." - Meathead

I still wonder what would NIN be like if Wes had become their live guitarist instead of Aaron North...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)

I get the phenomenon of their "comeback" is interesting, and i watched the HBO documentary (BTW, i hated Moby's self righteous declarations...), but the posts saying: "OMG, please Limp Bizkit don't come back ever again...)
    that's the thing though isn’t it. This band is a “package deal.” It is really hard to distance them from the bullshit they built an image around... but, unlike Manson I guess, it was just that: an image that they sold

and it was almost certainly crafted to intentionally be confusing. The nu-metal “thing” is already so confusing...
    and yeah, Moby was showing up to do his endless “virtue signaling” and just like everything with Moby, it was generally underwhelming and lame...

but at least he had the balls to say something about it. I also get what you’re implying when you’re basically saying that overthinking rock is joyless buzzkill bullshit too, but I’d still insist some things are too blatant and egregiously lame to get a “it’s rock n roll” pass.

But... anyone who thinks this “resurgence” is confusing magic, or doesn’t think Durst is a shrewd businessman pulling strings... if you’re giving him a pass at all there, you’re being willfully fooled by a gigantic asshole.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    that's the thing though isn’t it. This band is a “package deal.” It is really hard to distance them from the bullshit they built an image around... but, unlike Manson I guess, it was just that: an image that they sold

and it was almost certainly crafted to intentionally be confusing. The nu-metal “thing” is already so confusing...
    and yeah, Moby was showing up to do his endless “virtue signaling” and just like everything with Moby, it was generally underwhelming and lame...
    Agree, i actually like Moby's music, but the whole "virtue, i'm above those cavemen" comment sounded too pretentious, i liked both artist in that era and i still listen to both, lol...

but at least he had the balls to say something about it. I also get what you’re implying when you’re basically saying that overthinking rock is joyless buzzkill bullshit too, but I’d still insist some things are too blatant and egregiously lame to get a “it’s rock n roll” pass.
    Thats also part of my point, to me Limp Bizkit is supposed to be that way, they don't care (nor they should care) for the whole "intellectual" part of Rock, to me, they are like AC/DC, Van Halen or ZZ Top, all those bands were far from being "intellectuals", but it's "cool" to like them, why Limp Bizkit is different?
    They were obnoxious? probably, but lots of bands are that way...

But... anyone who thinks this “resurgence” is confusing magic, or doesn’t think Durst is a shrewd businessman pulling strings... if you’re giving him a pass at all there, you’re being willfully fooled by a gigantic asshole.
    I also agree, i think he is aware they are a nostalgia act and he does know how to get media's attention (since the 90's...), so he's using that on his advantage and i see nothing wrong with it, i still enjoy the band, but i don't see more of what they are, if you don't like them that's cool; I just found funny how worried are people on saying, they don't like them...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 08-08-2021 at 08:52 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Ugghhh, this sucks the remainder of the tour is cancelled. I was gonna see them next week! I'm no longer buying tickets to any more shows, fuck you covid.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    https://www.nme.com/features/opinion...alooza-3013631

Safe to say NME is not a fan of the new single

"Now here come Limp Bizkit to remind everyone what a joke it all was, with a new image that only serves to highlight how little they’ve learnt as time has ravaged them."

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)

Do you think it's impossible that Fred grew up a little, though? Did you see the set, and how friendly and grateful and chill he was?
    Did you see that recent interview I posted a few pages back?
    I've never owned a Limp Bizkit record, so this isn't from some hardcore fan's perspective.

But to me, it seems like he's honestly coming from a different angle, and is just happy that some people still like his work from 20 years ago. It honestly seems like he's lost the arrogance.
    And I mean, I'M different than I was in 2000...a little bit...sort of.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    not sure what is being suggested here, but I definitely had some negative stuff to say at the time. Specifically I remember thinking that when Reznor said Durst “can surf a plywood board up my ass” I thought that was a fair use of words at the time
    First off, I sure didn't mean for my post to prompt people to talk shit about Jinsai.
    Jinsai is a good dude.

Secondly, though:
    WAIT a second. TRENT said that? REALLY?
    But...but it happened at his show first! I was there!
    Holy fucking hypocrisy, Batman.

Also, that's PAINFULLY rough language: as in, I do NOT like the "picture" it paints with its 8 words. Jesus. I mean, really think about the ramifications of something like that happening. Visualize it. That's HORRIBLE.

I'm going back to sleep and I better not have nightmares about that shit.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-10-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Secondly, though:
    WAIT a second. TRENT said that? REALLY?
    But...but it happened at his show first! I was there!
    Holy fucking hypocrisy, Batman.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-reznor-114999

The whole article is a great read, honestly. But here's the quote in question:

Reznor guards the NIN mystique zealously. He has never played Saturday Night Live, never sat in on Politically Incorrect. It hasn’t been for lack of offers. “I’ve worked hard at keeping Nine Inch Nails precious,” Reznor says. “Everything I do is secondary to the music. It’s pretty easy, once you let your guard down, for someone to say, ‘Hey, want this Prada jacket?’ Next thing you know, you’re some jive dude; Carmen Electra is on your lap and you’re a rock guy that’s full of shit.” That said, Reznor is looking forward to joining us, live and worldwide, on MTV. “I like the challenges of flirting with the mainstream with Nine Inch Nails. I think we can do it honestly,” he says. “You know, let Fred Durst surf a piece of plywood right up my ass.”

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-reznor-114999

The whole article is a great read, honestly. But here's the quote in question:

Reznor guards the NIN mystique zealously. He has never played Saturday Night Live, never sat in on Politically Incorrect. It hasn’t been for lack of offers. “I’ve worked hard at keeping Nine Inch Nails precious,” Reznor says. “Everything I do is secondary to the music. It’s pretty easy, once you let your guard down, for someone to say, ‘Hey, want this Prada jacket?’ Next thing you know, you’re some jive dude; Carmen Electra is on your lap and you’re a rock guy that’s full of shit.” That said, Reznor is looking forward to joining us, live and worldwide, on MTV. “I like the challenges of flirting with the mainstream with Nine Inch Nails. I think we can do it honestly,” he says. “You know, let Fred Durst surf a piece of plywood right up my ass.”
    OHHHH. OK. THAT adds some needed context. And, it makes my ass twitch a tiny bit less.
    But, still: plywood surfing originated, as far as I know, at the Fair Park Colosseum, at the NIN show on Feb 11th, 1995, in East Dallas, Tx
    NIN was the ORIGINAL plywood surfing band.

ALSO, he kept that NIN mystique precious for awhile. And it was awesome.
    Then he wore those Prada (or whatever the fuck they were) drop-crotch pants on Tension for a deal with...Vevo? Apple? Whatever it was.
    Since then, he's scored a Disney film and worked with Hannah Montana. He lost a lot of the "mystique."

But, I'll agree that he never turned into a rock cliche, and seems to still actively avoid the whole "celebrity" thing...except for those pants. That's the ONE thing. I'll never be able to get the image of Trent dancing in those Justin bieber pants out of my head, even if I bleach my eyes. :/
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-10-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    OHHHH. OK. THAT adds some needed context. And, it makes my ass twitch a tiny bit less.
    But, still: plywood surfing originated, as far as I know, at the Fair Park Colosseum, at the NIN show on Feb 11th, 1995, in East Dallas, Tx
    NIN was the ORIGINAL plywood surfing band.

ALSO, he kept that NIN mystique precious for awhile. And it was awesome.
    Then he wore those Prada (or whatever the fuck they were) drop-crotch pants on Tension for a deal with...Vevo? Apple? Whatever it was.
    Since then, he's scored a Disney film and worked with Hannah Montana. He lost a lot of the "mystique."

But, I'll agree that he never turned into a rock cliche, and seems to still actively avoid the whole "celebrity" thing...except for those pants. That's the ONE thing. I'll never be able to get the image of Trent dancing in those Justin bieber pants out of my head, even if I bleach my eyes. :/
    Agreed. In my opinion, those pants were the death of the Tension blu ray. He saw what others saw and noped the thing out of existence.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Trent may have talked shit about da Bizkit but he also gave permission for Durst to use NIN lyrics on their 2000 album (on a diss track aimed at him no less) and even said he didn't want to block them from releasing the album at the time

Apparently Freddy boy wanted Trent to produce Limp Bizkits 2003 album. Oh what could have been

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/li...oduce-next-cd/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Would have been a hell of a lot better than Results May Vary. Mike Smith sucked all of the life out of the music in that band on that album.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Trent may have talked shit about da Bizkit but he also gave permission for Durst to use NIN lyrics on their 2000 album (on a diss track aimed at him no less) and even said he didn't want to block them from releasing the album at the time

Apparently Freddy boy wanted Trent to produce Limp Bizkits 2003 album. Oh what could have been

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/li...oduce-next-cd/
    I'll bet Trent opted out of that because he saw it as a fast fading trend that was PRETTY much already over: the POP rock/rap thing, I mean.

He might have been more open to a few tracks for say, a FNM, Biohazard or Body Count.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    @elevenism yeah, the clips from the show that I've seen seem to be from a band that has grown up, or at least is trying to imply they have... but when the only thing they have to say is "fuck that shit" about what happened there? I don't know. I get Louis CK vibes where they're only "apologizing" to excuse lame behavior (as a huge understatement), but maybe it stings a little less because I never really liked this band. And yeah, maybe it really "was not their fault" really. There were so many things going wrong there, you can't pin all the blame on any one thing.

I'm not a fan, but that's also why I haven't sat down and watched the whole Lollapalooza set, and most likely never will... and I don't expect to hear Durst say anything eloquent while wearing his Jullian Assange costume. But I will say that he is a much smarter guy than he pretends to be when he's penning lyrics like "I did it all for the nookie so you can take a cookie and put it in your ass." He's acting, and I think they're all full of shit, but there's nothing wrong with liking a costume party act...

But when that costume involves getting a tattoo of Kurt Cobain's face, maybe he should read the liner notes to Incesticide.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    @Jinsai I hear you. I turned on that lolla set to laugh at him. But he actually won me over, and reminded me that I liked some of their songs alright back in the day. I've NEVER been a whole "fan." I've never owned one of their albums.
    But, for instance, the song you mentioned, the nookie song, aka the one that made me start actively disliking the band? well, Fred, in the new set, talks about how it upset him that people just heard the chorus and missed the verses. And he SORT of sounds like he regrets the chorus, you know?
    Also, the guitarist is amazing: he played a custom built 4 string with an actual bass guitar A string, and a guitar A, D and G, for a couple of those songs. For an old guitarist, seeing THAT shit and hearing the unique way he plays is quite interesting.
    And as someone who grew up going to rave parties, I can safely say that their DJ is incredible.
    Again, I'm NOT a limp bizkit fan. But they DID have some decent songs, and, idk: this set was just different. I think the word is sublime. Hell, try 20 minutes of it and see what you think.

And as far as acting, I seriously think the dude might be acting mostly like himself at this point. He's fifty. He knows he's said and done some stupid arrogant shit. He knows he's lucky to be there at all, and it shows.

But that's just me.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-10-2021 at 04:19 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Wes is a very good musician. At the same time, he’s a shrewd businessman just like Durst, and he saw the appeal in what he was pitching. And yeah, on some bizarre lost weekend they were the biggest band on earth.

the fact that they’re making a comeback right now that seems, on paper, unexpectedly a gigantic home run... no... this is bought. And the people funding the comeback know exactly what they are asking for.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Wes is a very good musician. At the same time, he’s a shrewd businessman just like Durst, and he saw the appeal in what he was pitching. And yeah, on some bizarre lost weekend they were the biggest band on earth.

the fact that they’re making a comeback right now that seems, on paper, unexpectedly a gigantic home run... no... this is bought. And the people funding the comeback know exactly what they are asking for.
    Well they turned on their new single at the end of the lolla set, and it sounded... awful.
    I don't think they'll be making any sort of actual "comeback."

I think this WAS, like you said, a strange "lost weekend."

And I think it'll go down as an interesting footnote in rock history.