Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrested Development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Arrested Development

Let's hope it's for real this time. Wiki info for the oblivious:
    Revival of television series

The entire cast reunited for a panel at The New Yorker Festival in New York on October 2, 2011. At the panel, Hurwitz announced his intention of doing a truncated fourth season as a lead-in to the film, which would consist of 9–10 episodes each focusing on a single character. At the event Hurwitz explained that Fox had not committed to producing any new episodes but would be involved in negotiations, as they continue to hold certain rights to the series. It was later been reported that Showtime, as well as online streaming services Hulu and Netflix have expressed interest in producing the show. In November 2011, Netflix was confirmed as the distributor of new episodes for an early 2013 debut. It is unclear whether this will be a truncated season as Hurwitz initially announced at the festival.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Oh, it's real this time. I'm sure of it. Netflix wouldn't have announced it if it wasn't a done deal.

Can't wait. Part of me thinks that maybe they ended the show perfectly and they should leave it alone. But then another part of me (the part that won) just wants to see the Bluths in action again. I just hope the series and movie can live up to the original run.

And the movie! Dear God, we're going to all be watching the Bluths on the big screen. That is going to be incredible. Midnight showing for sure.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I've watched this series from beginning to end at least half a dozen times and it never gets old. This recent news has me pretty excited. Really hoping they don't fuck it up and that the entire cast agrees to return.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I have copies of this show loaded on 4 different electronic devices and I have it on DVD. If someone messes this up there will be war.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    If someone messes this up, icklekitty will do this:

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Someone's Charlie Browns will be in trouble, that's for sure.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I can be your wing man! Even if it means me taking a chubby, I will suck it up.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Oh, mercy me! I forgot that we were in the colonies.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I'm a monster!!!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    This is without question the best TV series I've ever watched. I will blue myself with joy when new episodes (AND A MOVIE?!?!?) come out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    One of the smartest shows ever written. Pumped for the revivial!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    HOLY FUCK

this is amazing.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    HuffPo Interview with Ron Howard has this bit on AD:

You're doing "Arrested Development" on Netflix, not TV, and that's another new platform. Why did you make that choice?
    As the years passed, [series creator] Mitch Hurwitz began exploring where each of the characters would have gone. He wanted audiences to understand what their journeys had been, but he didn't want to express it in a joke or a sight gag. He actually wanted to let people know what had happened to each of the Bluths. And he's got such hilarious individual threads and story lines that the idea of doing ten half hours first, to get people caught up, became really a fresh idea, and a fresh way of building the audience of "Arrested Development," first for the movie and from there, who knows? At first, we didn't know who would distribute it.
    I feel like all the mediums are blending. I continue to be interested in the possibility of "Dark Tower" functioning in a movie version and a television version. If I get to do "Dark Tower," there's also a video game element that would be a part of flushing out the narrative of the Stephen King universe. I think it's time to be adventuresome, be bold, and sort of explore the ways in which people want to experience characters, relationships, settings and situations.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ...and a fresh way of building the audience of "Arrested Development," first for the movie and from there, who knows?
    Cue geeks everywhere speculating on what that means, when really it was a throwaway line that meant nothing and will go nowhere.

On the other hand, who would have thought the show would be coming back in any form, let alone TV and a movie. So maybe they will bring the show back. I think that would be pushing it (and, truthfully, I'm still not completely convinced bringing it back at all is a good idea...but I'm still excited in spite of myself) but who knows. If it turns out to be great then that would be awesome. If it turns out to be ok, or it sucks, then we're all going to wish they'd left it where it was.
    Last edited by theruiner; 01-25-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Anyong............

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I finally caught up with this show over the last two months on the flix, and man were people completely right about this show. It is the funniest show I have ever watched on television. The characters, the comedy (gold), and narration is so well set up, it makes you laugh even when you aren't expecting to. Tobias and Gob just steal the show even though every character is pretty dam strong. I was super excited to hear that more episodes and a movie will be coming out. It says on Wiki that all the characters will reprise their roles so that is going to be cool seeing all of them a little more grown up and in different situations. In the third season you can kind of tell how the show started to change a bit, but I think they left out on a high note. This is going to be fantastic.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Fuck yes! Been waiting for an official statement since October. I knew the full cast was there to sign up and come back, but it is really cool to see them all together again. I predict the new season won't miss a step. Plus, a movie? 2013 cannot come soon enough!

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^Well, I think the official statement came out months ago about the show, but what we didn't have before was confirmation that the original writers were coming back. So that's great news.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    That seems to prove what an outstanding show this is. It's not often ALL the original cast and crew want to be involved in the revival.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^
    It really is. It is one of the best shows ever made. That phrase gets thrown around a lot, but Arrested is one of the few shows that really does deserve it.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I know it's a good show when I find myself laughing out loud just thinking about it. Typically the first thing to hit my head is the "Big Yellow Joint" song.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    I know it's a good show when I find myself laughing out loud just thinking about it. Typically the first thing to hit my head is the "Big Yellow Joint" song.
    The first thing that comes to me is when Gob gets on stage in his performances and how excited and into it he gets. I love when he puts the cloth on his face

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Just started watching this. Totally reminds me of Soap.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So...now they're talking spin-offs? Bad idea. Really bad idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How crazy awesome would it be if Arrested Development gets legitimately resurrected like Family Guy or Futurama, based on the hype surrounding the new season and movie and the inevitable jump in DVD sales?

Just started re-watching this by the way. I am determined to finally make it to season three, as every time I start watching I get waylaid and never finish season two.

Also, is Ron Howard returning to narrate? Wouldn't be the same without him.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    How crazy awesome would it be if Arrested Development gets legitimately resurrected like Family Guy or Futurama, based on the hype surrounding the new season and movie and the inevitable jump in DVD sales?
    As long as the show is just as good as it was, then I'd be all for this. The worst thing that could happen, though, is it comes back and is a ghost of its former self. Plus, shows only have so much of a shelf life before things start to go off the rails (I'm looking at you, The Simpsons). So even if they did come back officially (beyond this mini-season and movie next year), it would probably be wise to only make another season or two and then call it a day. Why risk going on too long and the show deteriorating in quality?

But anyway, I just really hope, whatever happens, that this spin-off idea never gets off the ground. Bringing the show back the way it was might turn out ok, but doing a spin-off would be a disaster, I think.

Just started re-watching this by the way. I am determined to finally make it to season three, as every time I start watching I get waylaid and never finish season two.
    Season three wasn't quite as strong as the first two seasons, but it was still really good (a "not quite strong" season of AD > most other shows' best seasons).

Also, is Ron Howard returning to narrate? Wouldn't be the same without him.
    That's a really good question. I don't think they've addressed that yet. They damn well better bring him back. What would AD be without Ron Howard's narration? That'd be like George Michael without the awkwardness. Lucille without her sense of entitlement. Tobias without his cut offs! It just would not work.

Oh, and they'd better bring back Lucille 2, that BITCH.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    As long as the show is just back... that's all I care about. I just watched season 1 and 2 over again and it just gets funnier.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Netflix says all ten new episodes will be posted all at once, no waiting.

My favorite part of the article:
    Hurwitz said that though his initial conception of the fourth season was to do it as an anthology, with each character getting his or her own episode, the current incarnation is closer to the style of the first three seasons.
    Awesome! I'm glad they're going with the original style instead of "each episode focuses on one character."

Well, I, for one, am excited about this news. All I have to say is, I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will, so now I'm afraid I have something of a mess on my hands.

Also, from this article:
    Hurwitz and the cast teased the possibility of a fifth or sixth season, also on Netflix.
    Am I...dreaming? Is that for real? Holy shit.
    Last edited by theruiner; 04-18-2012 at 03:35 PM.