Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Arrested Development

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Three episodes in. It's very scattered. Did they refuse to film together or something, or decide on a set amount of scenes each of them do? They all seem so limited. There's some good moments though (so far).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Three episodes in. It's very scattered. Did they refuse to film together or something, or decide on a set amount of scenes each of them do? They all seem so limited. There's some good moments though (so far).
    I've heard that in a lot of the group scenes, some characters are composited in because the schedule didn't provide for them to film together. Third episode is Lindsay 1, right? I've just finished that, I found it funnier than the first two. I always felt she was underused in the series, and in my opinion she actually makes for a fun focus.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Watch more, it'll make sense.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So, I'm finished. Very good season, not quite as good as the first three, but it really makes fantastic sense in the end. It's like these 15 episodes were in fact just one very, very extended episode, which is why the character interaction is also sort of strecthed out. It takes some time getting used to though, and the George Sr. episodes were just not very good, lots of necessary plot, but not really funny.
    And yes, it looks like they already have the second season (or movie) in mind, which would go something like this: Spoiler: Lindsey Bluth runs against Sally Sitwell, Lindsey Bluth is probably a Bluth after all (because she's the daughter of Lucille and Stan (?) Sitwell and Lucille explicitly said: "I'm a Bluth, you're a Bluth" Sally Sitwell maybe killed Lucille II which is why Lindsey wins in the end, the land to build the anti-mexican wall is meant to be constructed on the land of DeBrie and Mikey (or what's his name) so Tobias or Lindsey eventually get it, and so on and on.... Also, I really loved the final joke of the season, the fact that Michael only succeeds in getting one signature (Buster's) which is exactly the one needed to make Ron Howard's movie. So I guess the family is headed for better times, even though the show was quite cruel to them this time.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Arrested Development

Yeah, it really is beginning to feel like a stretched out episode. Really beginning to grow on me. Tobias and Gob still remain my favorites.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah, it really is beginning to feel like a stretched out episode. Really beginning to grow on me. Tobias and Gob still remain my favorites.
    Gobais? as in go buy us some coffee?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I will definitely have to watch this season over again... but up until the first Gob episode, the first half really fell flat for me and was very hit and miss as far as the comedy went. I really wish it was like the other seasons instead of being focused on one character. A lot of it is just.... not funny.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Seem's like everyone has similar thoughts about season 4, and I have to agree. The new format took some getting used to, or just time to work, and overall wasn't as enjoyable as the old episodes. I didn't mind it getting darker but I was kinda annoyed that it happened at the expense of Michaels character changing. I guess you could argue they've all been through a lot though...

I was always more keen on new seasons over a movie but now I'm not so sure. If a movie could get all the actors back together then I think I might like that more. The whole family dynamic is what made the first 3 seasons so great. Nothing beats seeing them all (or even just 4 of them) together in the one place, riffing off one and other.

I think my biggest laugh in this new season was when George "Maharis" Michael had his huge pause when answering a question, trying to decide how best to answer to impress Maeby. I can't think of any time I laughed harder during the season. That said, the Gobias episodes were probably my favourite.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm enjoying the season now. It took a few episodes for it to really click with me, but I like it. I really is one huge episode.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The actor who plays Gene Parmesan also played Colonel Mustard in the Clue movie. That's where those amazing mustard and Kraft Parmesan meals come from.

As for the first episodes being weaker, I think that's just because a lot of the jokes won't land until repeated viewings (Other than the George Sr. episodes which seem kind of separated). The original AD had a lot of that (Buster's hand jokes all throughout season 2) but it seems to be a lot more prominent with how shuffled around these are. For example that huge Gob monologue 2 minutes into the first episode made no sense until you see Gob's episodes, although they spit it back in your face in that episode too which kind of ruins the fun of catching the meaning of it on a repeated viewing.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    ^^I've shown the original seasons to a few friends over the past year, and watching their non-plussed reactions to some things definitely enforces what you're saying here. I think people who got into the show once they hype had built up sometimes forget that nobody gave a shit about this when it was airing.

Also: http://splitsider.com/2013/05/an-enc...d-development/

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Was anyone else thrown by Lucilles prison number? If you turn it upside down it says 'Hello'. Once I noticed I was convinced Annyon would somehow be responsible.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Annyong!!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    i thought season 4 was pretty great. Better than season 3, and right up there with 1 and 2. I want more.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah, love Season 4!
    Definitely agree, waaaay better than Season 3.
    Sure, it took a few episodes to really start coming together... but when it did, it was fucking great!
    Love all the little connections and tie ins... yes, this season was like one long episode that all connected.
    Give me Season 5!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I've heard that in a lot of the group scenes, some characters are composited in because the schedule didn't provide for them to film together. Third episode is Lindsay 1, right? I've just finished that, I found it funnier than the first two. I always felt she was underused in the series, and in my opinion she actually makes for a fun focus.
    "Ninja please!"

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    That's a low blow Loblaw.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Let me post what everyone is posting.

Takes a few episodes to get into it but when you realize the greater plot it becomes more enjoyable.

Theres laughs, and the whole thing seems better in retrospect after you have seen the season.

Season 1,2,3 were tapas style as the 4th season is a 15 course meal.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Let me post what everyone is posting.

Takes a few episodes to get into it but when you realize the greater plot it becomes more enjoyable.

Theres laughs, and the whole thing seems better in retrospect after you have seen the season.

Season 1,2,3 were tapas style as the 4th season is a 15 course meal.

Just finished the season today, and I completely agree.
    The story's chaotic and confusing, and remains that way to a degree even by the end of the season. But the jokes are built up to so well... the first couple of episodes I watched in stony silence, and by the last few, I was curled up in a foetal position from too much laughing. Particular thumbs up to Tobias' episodes, and Gob's second.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah.. I'll echo the 'it took a while to get going but then ended really well' crowd.
    At times it felt too dense, like they were trying to catch up on lost time (which I guess they were) and that didn't lend it any favours. It'd be nice for a less frenetic next season, now we are all caught up.
    The writing at times was astounding, I loved it.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Arrested Development

Many of you have already said how I feel, so I'll keep this at a simple "I fucking loved it."

I'm about to compete a third watch of the season and it just keeps getting better with each watch. Still catching jokes I didn't get or even notice this first time through.

SEASON FIVE PLEASE.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I agree with almost all the major complaints lobbed at S4, but I still thought it was great overall. Maybe the sheer nostalgia of seeing all the characters back after all these years was enough to win me over.

Also, highlights that will stick with me for awhile: the 'And Jeremy Piven' club, the dried ramen shank, the whole Gob/Tony Wonder story, the constant Andy Richter cameos, and the comedic over-explanations from everybody's favorite narrator. There were a lot of little moments that reminded me why I fell in love with Arrested Development in the first place.
    Last edited by Presideo; 06-04-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Arrested Development

It started off slow. But when it picked up, it got good quickly.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Anyone else caught off-guard by the "Showstealer Pro - Trial Version" joke? They even wrote "You have one day left" in one of the final episodes.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm just a couple episodes into season 2. FUCKING TOM JANE??? I totally didn't recognize him!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I'm just a couple episodes into season 2. FUCKING TOM JANE??? I totally didn't recognize him!
    "I'm Tom Jane!"

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I knew he looked familiar. But all that facial hair...Fuck, he might as well have been Gene Parmesan.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 06-23-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Because typo!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)