Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
    Posted: November 7, 2014, 15:27:46

Here is another new interview with King about Revival. In it he also mentions Finders Keepers and The Bazaar of Bad Dreams; a collection with

King is already looking ahead to next year, with Finders Keepers (the sequel to Mr. Mercedes) out in June.

And in the fall of 2015 there will be a new collection of stories called The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, which'll collect about 20 short tales. It should be a pretty fat book.

>>

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
    The next collection from King now has a title; The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. It will be released on November 30, 2015 and contain about 20 short tales. No titles of the tales has been released yet.

Something with his son Owen
    King has stated that he is working on something with his son Owen. No more info has been release.

One more story about Stu & Fran from The Stand
    King has stated that there’s one more story about Stu and Fran that needs to be told. King hasn’t written this one yet though.

There's one Stand story that still needs to be told, although it's not a long one. I happen to know that when [Stand characters] Stu Redman and Frannie Goldsmith headed back to New England (with their baby), Frannie fell into a dry well. That's all I know. I'd have to write the story to find out what happens.

One more Dark Tower book
    King has stated that he’d like to revisit The Dark Tower series and possibly write one more book about The Fall of Gilead.

In the not too distant future, King says he'd like to revisit his seminal Dark Tower series and possibly write one more addition to his fantasy epic.

"The one thing that is missing in the books is The Fall of Gilead," he says.

"But I'd like to go back to all of them and revise the whole series because it’s really one book. I’m delighted people loved them, but I think of those books as a rough first draft of a very long novel. I’d like to go back and rewrite 'em all."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The US cover for Finders Keepers looks cool. I wasn't a big fan of Mr. Mercedes. It was okay, I found the antagonist to be the most interesting part of the whole book, although his whole plan that kicked off the third act was a little over the top. Much more interested in reading his latest short stories.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Anyone read Finders Keepers yet? I thought it was average. Once again, the antagonist was the most interesting part of the whole novel. The rest of the story wasn't very engaging and I think Hodges and his team are just boring. Assuming anyone still frequents this thread, I can't recommend picking it up. I'm not trying to piss off any diehard King fans, but I think it's ironic he's given James Patterson shit when stuff like Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers kind of reads like a Patterson detective novel (minus a new chapter every three pages). That is to say, a relatively strong villain and a thin plot stretched into a couple hundred pages with a strong urge to put the book down whenever the dull heroes are out and about trying to solve the mystery or dealing with their personal lives.

I'm still looking forward to The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. It'll be cool to have some more short stories, and there's an audio book coming out tomorrow called Drunken Fireworks I'll probably check out.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Drunken Fireworks was great.
    The guy reading it was hilarious.

I have a question for hardcore stephen king fans.

Has anyone cracked the high speech alphabet?
    It's based on a font called Hoefler ornaments...something like that.

On another forum, people are talking about getting tattoos, and they think that just typing a phrase with that font makes it "high speech."

BUT...if you look at the letter from Roland's mother in wind through the keyhole, the letters don't match up that way.

Also, the visual representation of "unfound" doesn't even have enough letters for it to be a letter for letter code.

My wife and i both want Dark Tower tattoos, and since our anniversary is coming up, we thought it would be cool to have them match or be related.
    And so, i SURE would like to know that alphabet, in case we want phrases in "high speech."

I can't find it ANYWHERE on the internet.

EDIT: OKAY @Ryan @MrSelfDestruct94
    @Jinsai

somebody help me here.

thankee-sai
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-09-2015 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I've been thinking about this for the past couple of days: what would you name a Stephen King short story collection?

I came up with "There Are No Happy Endings".

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    We need replies motherfuckers.
    @elevenism - in response to your question, I dunno lol

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    lolz @Ryan .

hell yes. we do need replies. i figured one thingout though. the unfound symbol has five letters, right? and the first and fourth are the same. so, that is the symbole for "un."

i laugh at these poor fuckers who realized that the alphabet has BASED on this hoefler ornaments font and ran out and got tattoos in "high speech."

They should have noticed that "unfound" has five letters when written in high speech, so it's NOT a "one to one: code.

In reply to your post, Ryan, i would go with Mourning Light. There was Just After Sunset, then Full Dark No Stars, so i would continue in that vein.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Picked up The Bazaar of Bad Dreams a few days ago. Check out the UK/international version of the cover, it's very colourful.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Picked up The Bazaar of Bad Dreams a few days ago. Check out the UK/international version of the cover, it's very colourful.
    me too.
    good god i fucking love SK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really want to read his first book RAGE, but I think it was originally banned. I tried asking for a shipped copy but no copies were available.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiouti12 View Post
    I really want to read his first book RAGE, but I think it was originally banned. I tried asking for a shipped copy but no copies were available.
    From what i read, it was never actually banned per se.
    It was purposely allowed to fall out of print (by King) because of it's subject matter- a school shooting-and the fact that it has been connected to at least 2 real life shootings or would-be shootings, and was possibly connected to a third and fourth incident. In some instances, no one was harmed, but in another, 7 were killed.

By the way, it wasn't king's first novel, just his first as Bachman.
    It was predated by Carrie, 'Salem's Lot and The Shining.

It looks like it's really hard to find, but i found you a used paperback copy here. It's an omnibus that also includes The Long Walk, Road Work, and the Running Man. That's four novels in one tome for $7 dollars and 12 cents, with free shipping to the USA for orders over $10.

The website, thriftreads.com is fucking GREAT btw. Used to, a ridiculous amount of the books were 1 cent and $3.99 for shipping.
    Now they seem to run closer to $3-$4, but like i said, free shipping on orders over $10.
    This is a great way to flesh out SK titles missing from your collection ( @Jinsai , @Ryan , @mrselfdestruct94 , @slave2thewage )
    You can even get deals like that on hardcovers.
    But if you want it @kaiouti12 , you might want to get it ordered!
    I don't think there are many floating around, and it's the holiday season.

Oh, btw, of course Thriftbooks.com sells more than Stephen King.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Huh, didn't know The Bachman Books was out of print... I have a copy around here somewhere

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So i'm having a lot of fun finding all the 19's hidden in The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

A whole shitload of numbers in the stories (dates, license plates, room numbers, etc.) add up to 19.

What's confounding is that some of them don't, but i can't help trying all of them.

How are you guys liking it btw? I LOVE these fucking stories. @Ryan ?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I'm about to start The Dune.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I found that the second and third ones weren't really horrific at all. More black humour.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I found that the second and third ones weren't really horrific at all. More black humour.
    oh, yeah, no doubt. but i don't mind that. In fact, The Dark Tower books are more Lord of the Rings than Lovecraft, d'you know what i mean?

I think he's a fucking modern day mark twain, honestly, but with a dark twist.

BTW, i just got Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers in the mail like an hour ago.

And it looks like the dark tower movies/tv series are happening. Good god i hope they don;t fuck it up.
    They can change it around all they like as LONG AS the original magical tone is still there, and it doesn;t suck balls.

Edit: also in the mail i just got It, Talisman, Black House, The Stand, The Shining, and The Green Mile for my wife for her birthday.
    She is a stephen king convert and read all 8 of the dark tower books as soon as i told her about them.
    She;s also read like Under the Dome and Rose Madder, but i think that's it.
    I'm jealous.
    I wish i could unread all of SKs books so i could read them again.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-11-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Really enjoyed The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. Favorites were Bad Little Kid, The Dune, Drunken Fireworks, The Little Green God of Agony, Morality, and Blockade Billy. I wasn't a fan of either poems or Ur, but the rest of the stories are enjoyable and it's a strong collection.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    Really enjoyed The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. Favorites were Bad Little Kid, The Dune, Drunken Fireworks, The Little Green God of Agony, Morality, and Blockade Billy. I wasn't a fan of either poems or Ur, but the rest of the stories are enjoyable and it's a strong collection.
    no Ur? i fucking LOVED it.
    Bad Little Kid was awesome too. I still gotta read that bus is in another world, obits, and summer thunder.
    oh, and the poems.
    i also really loved Herman Wouk is Still Alive. @mrselfdestruct94 , did you find all the 19's?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    no Ur? i fucking LOVED it.
    Bad Little Kid was awesome too. I still gotta read that bus is in another world, obits, and summer thunder.
    oh, and the poems.
    i also really loved Herman Wouk is Still Alive. @mrselfdestruct94 , did you find all the 19's?
    I wasn't a fan of Ur because it felt like product placement (Amazon specifically hired him to write the story to promote the Kindle device), and I thought the story lost its momentum after he'd introduced his student and co-worker to the special Kindle. I actually did not look for any of the Dark Tower references, albeit the ending to Ur wasn't exactly subtle, lol. I usually go back after the first read of his books and see if I can spot any references. I'll certainly try to find all the 19's when I go back to some of the stories.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    gotta love that Stephen King just posted on Facebook that it doesn't matter what race the actor is who plays Roland, just "that he takes care of his ka-tet."

And in response, the mobs of morons are still shouting about it, and even saying things like "anyone who thinks this is ok is not a real King fan." Uh, you mean the people who agree with what the author just said aren't real fans of the author? Jesus, no wonder SK hates interacting with his fans.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Jinsai , for me, as long as it's fucking GOOD. that's fine. It doesn't have to be the same as the books either, because that would be fucking impossible (todash, Susannah's birth, Dogans, etc."

I'm thrilled that it's happening. But it better not suck like Under the Dome.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    There's no way The Dark Tower can be adapted to screen successfully. It can't possibly have the ratings big enough to secure big budget and a several-season-long run

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    There's no way The Dark Tower can be adapted to screen successfully. It can't possibly have the ratings big enough to secure big budget and a several-season-long run
    C'mon @fillow , you've got to BELIEVE!!!!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Give me 200 million dollars and I'd make sure the Dark Tower got made right.

Won't happen, because I'm not a movie producer, but it seems plausible. Every now and again you get surprised.

For some reason I have some hope here because they got the guy who made the original adaptation of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" to helm it. For some reason I can't put my finger on, that seems perfect, and I say thankee-sai"
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-14-2015 at 04:33 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Give me 200 million dollars and I'd make sure the Dark Tower got made right.

Won't happen, because I'm not a movie producer, but it seems plausible. Every now and again you get surprised.

For some reason I have some hope here because they got the guy who made the original adaptation of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" to helm it. For some reason I can't put my finger on, that seems perfect, and I say thankee-sai"
    If I were an eccentric millionaire with a boatload of cash and no concept of financial responsibility, you would have your 200 million, sir!

I never liked the idea of having a series of movies and a television series at the same time. I would actually prefer a TV series because there would be more time to delve into the world, and since we're seeing many, many examples of modern television shows surpassing most films with virtually identical cinematic qualities, I can see it being entirely possible. Each season would encompass a book similar to Game of Thrones, and they wouldn't have to deviate from the source material too much because the books have already reached their conclusion. Couple that with the numerous short stories, the graphic novel adaptations, and the recent eighth book, and the idea of a Dark Tower television series radiates potential.

That said, it would absolutely kick ass to see Stephen King's world brought to life on the big screen, and I think if they could find a directer in the vein of Peter Jackson (a young filmmaker who is passionate about the material, is a fan of the books, and is still trying to cement their legacy) we will hopefully get a collection of films that do the source material justice.

And while we're on the topic of casting with the recent Idris Elba rumor: Who would be a good choice to play Stephen King?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    And while we're on the topic of casting with the recent Idris Elba rumor: Who would be a good choice to play Stephen King?
    It might be kind of weird, but it would also be pretty interesting if they cast his son to play a young Stephen King. He kind of looks like him too

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It might be kind of weird, but it would also be pretty interesting if they cast his son to play a young Stephen King. He kind of looks like him too
    That would be a cool idea. Joe Hill could probably pull it off, assuming he has the acting chops. He certainly has the writing chops, and it'd be fun if they dropped hints of his work into the Dark Tower movies or TV show the same way King makes nods to his son's work in his recent books.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Can't King play himself though? I don't recall if his age (as of 2004) had any relevance to the plot but I think it didn't.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Can't King play himself though? I don't recall if his age (as of 2004) had any relevance to the plot but I think it didn't.
    It's been a while, but I remember the first time they visit Stephen King in the Dark Tower, he's a young aspiring writer, and they remark on how he drinks and smokes too much.