Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

on point: i really think that comparing the fragile to with teeth is almost like comparing two different bands. they're both great, and i love them both, but they're only related by the fact that the same guy made them. they don't SOUND anything alike.
I agree, not enough is made of how different these eras of NIN are, it really is like two totally different bands. Trents personality shift was so radical, in the intermission years between 2001-2005, its not the same person at all, NIN 2005 onwards, Its sort of like you know how with Pink Floyd they were around for like 30 years every decade it was like a totally different band and NIN 2005 onwards is like when they got rid of Roger Waters and released Momentary Lapse of Reason after The Wall, (but better) the dark nihillism was gone, the epic scale was toned down, Roger Waters overbearingly bleak personality was not there.
The Fragile has a totally different production style that has not been replicated since. The Downward Spiral and The Fragile both took years to make. I suppose NIN was more spontaneous and direct in later years, mostly the word 'stripped down' define later era NIN. whether it be in an electronic format with Year Zero or a rock format like With Teeth.
I like some of With Teeth it sounds a lot better now to be than it did at the time and there is something i like about the stripped down punkish lo-fi, tone of some of the songs like Getting Smaller and The Collector. And his later material like the Slip.
But for me personally i prefer the UNASHAMED, BIG. EPIC. HOLY MASTERPIECE, CINEMATIC Nine Inch Nails sounds, i dont think there is any material on With Teeth that comes close to Into the Void, The Mark has Been Made, The Fragile, Were in this Together, Please, Day the World Went Away.
Trent recently said last fall that he thinks The Fragile is the best thing he has ever done.