Page 188 of 215 FirstFirst ... 88 138 178 186 187 188 189 190 198 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,640 of 6439

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    I hear you. I'm not defending or endorsing, just answering what I think was the reasoning.
    For sure, didn't meant it for you, sorry

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    For sure, didn't meant it for you, sorry
    I did't take what you wrote as negative towards me, I was just making sure you knew that I was indiffrent. We're all good, no apologies needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    You can also hear the Mellotron strings setting at the conclusion of "You Know What You Are?" (mixed in along with a bunch of other keyboard sounds). If memory serves, they also used some of the Mellotron for Dragon Tattoo and perhaps other score stuff. I have a vague recollection of it popping up on Welcome oblivion as well, or was that Hesitation Marks? Anyway, it's got a fairly recognizable wobbly sound on account of using old fluttery tape loops to produce notes.
    Mellotron is also used here and there for the piano sound, such as the piano motif in Closer and Every Day is Exactly The Same. It has that kinda flickery attack to it that's pretty recognisable. You can grab a Mellotron emulator like G-Force's M-Tron plugin and they have all that jazz in there.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I don't know if those are true Mellotrons or just warbly synth pianos, but yeah... that's sort of the wobbliness I was referring to.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Does Trent really own (or used to own) the Strawberry Fields Forever mellotron? Or was it just the same type of mellotron the Beatles used? And what song was it used on?
    Reanswering this question and one of my own: did Trent have access to more than one "Beatles" mellotron? Gear lists and interviews seem to only mention the MKIV (M400), but this seems oddly specific:

5. John Lennon's Mellotron makes an appearance on the record.

While much of Broken was recorded with state-of-the-art keyboards, there was one instrument on there that literally harkened back to the original age of psychedelia: a Mellotron previously owned by John Lennon. Loaned to Reznor by film producer and Interscope co-founder Ted Field, the instrument — a polyphonic tape replay keyboard that often used by psychedelic and progressive bands to simulate orchestral sounds — lent some decidedly otherworldly tones and textures to Broken, especially on "Gave Up". "That [same Mellotron] is what you hear being played at the start of 'Strawberry Fields Forever,'" engineer Sean Beavan, who worked on Broken, told Sound on Sound in 2012. "It still had the Beatles' tape loops in there." Reznor, for his part, reveled in the irony of employing an instrument that had appeared on the "White Album," the same 1968 Beatles LP that had inspired Charles Manson to order his followers to commit the Cielo Drive murders. "We've got John Lennon and Charles Manson in here," he remarked to Rolling Stone in 1993. "Cool."
    https://www.revolvermag.com/music/8-...h-nails-broken

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is there an audio rip of the Ahead of Ourselves video floating around anywhere?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Can anyone enlighten me to the source of this GIF? I've used it in messenger chats with friends for quite some time but have no idea where it's from.

Also, as far as I can tell, he's saying "What's happening?" and I'd like to know if I'm right.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    Can anyone enlighten me to the source of this GIF? I've used it in messenger chats with friends for quite some time but have no idea where it's from.

Also, as far as I can tell, he's saying "What's happening?" and I'd like to know if I'm right.

I'm not 100% certain but I think it had something to do with either Josh Homme and/or QOTSA - It could even have been something to do with Mantra. That probably doesn't help much though.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

It's from Our Hobby Is Depeche Mode:
    Dial up approx 33:20

He says "See what happens?" (I recently stumbled upon this myself not long ago after not knowing the source for years)
    Last edited by cdm; 12-05-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    It's from Our Hobby Is Depeche Mode:
    Dial up approx 32:30

He says "See what happens?" (I recently stumbled upon this myself not long ago after not knowing the source for years)
    Thanks for enlightening me on where the GIF came from, and also letting me know that this documentary existed!

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Haha aaannndd I was wrong.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Haha aaannndd I was wrong.
    Thanks anyway I guess.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Guys, I could swear to god I remember reading something many years ago about the drums on "The Fragile" (the song) being recorded with broken glass either sitting on top of the drum skin or inside the bass drum. Does anyone else remember that? And if so, where does that bit of info come from?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Guys, I could swear to god I remember reading something many years ago about the drums on "The Fragile" (the song) being recorded with broken glass either sitting on top of the drum skin or inside the bass drum. Does anyone else remember that? And if so, where does that bit of info come from?
    It was a critic's description of the drum sound from this 1999 Sputnik Music review:

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/...s-The-Fragile/

Also, in regards to the confusion: Trent and Charlie Clouser have both admitted to sampling various objects, such as rebar or glass bottles, and using them as accents for/with other instruments. The objects are also sampled in numerous environments to give a wide range of acoustics.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure there was an interview/article with someone involved with the album (Alan Moulder maybe?) that went into such details, but I failed to find it. Definitely not thinking of Charlie's forum posts, it was something else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B3xsXpCB...=1h4lrt4yxa7al

can anyone tell me the name of the song in the second and third video??

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Is there an audio rip of the Ahead of Ourselves video floating around anywhere?
    21 days later...

I went ahead and captured the (best) audio streams for "Ahead of Ourselves" and "Metal". Both are available as either m4a (128 kbps @ 48 kHz) or ogg (160 kbps @ 48 kHz; encapsulated in .webm):

https://mega.nz/#F!Sq4X3ART!JmhsO1troel7u7S6glfgzA

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    It was a critic's description of the drum sound from this 1999 Sputnik Music review:

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/...s-The-Fragile/

Also, in regards to the confusion: Trent and Charlie Clouser have both admitted to sampling various objects, such as rebar or glass bottles, and using them as accents for/with other instruments. The objects are also sampled in numerous environments to give a wide range of acoustics.

Jerome Dillon did have a tamborine on either the snare or the floor tom at the MTV music awards performance, pretty sure.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Has there been any mention of releasing any of the live audio from the last few tours? I remember a while back that there was a rumor of some sort of multi-show box having been completed. Was there anything mentioned in any interviews?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What's the deal with the 'A Tribute to Nine Inch Nails' playlist on the Trent Reznor youtube channel? Stuff like 'Haemoglobin Disorder'. I can't find any info on it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tap3worm View Post
    What's the deal with the 'A Tribute to Nine Inch Nails' playlist on the Trent Reznor youtube channel? Stuff like 'Haemoglobin Disorder'. I can't find any info on it.
    Nothing to do with Trent Reznor... it's an automated playlist, created by an algorithm, from an album by that name credited to "The Insurgency" and uploaded to streaming services, that for some reason also contains a 27-minute interview track by Trent Reznor and therefore is tagged with his name for the whole thing, somehow. Because YouTube is a fucking mess?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Nothing to do with Trent Reznor... it's an automated playlist, created by an algorithm, from an album by that name credited to "The Insurgency" and uploaded to streaming services, that for some reason also contains a 27-minute interview track by Trent Reznor and therefore is tagged with his name for the whole thing, somehow. Because YouTube is a fucking mess?
    Ah yeah, not surprised. I knew it wasn't NiN, but honestly had no idea what it was. Youtube is indeed a shitfest.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Does anybody have a YouTube link or something similar to a good quality video of The Great Destroyer live with the Happiness In Slavery breakdown mixed in? Think that happened at shows in 2007 or 2008, but I might be off.

Can't seem to find any.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Does anybody have a YouTube link or something similar to a good quality video of The Great Destroyer live with the Happiness In Slavery breakdown mixed in? Think that happened at shows in 2007 or 2008, but I might be off.

Can't seem to find any.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    FYI, besides the Bologna show above, they used the Happiness In Slavery breakdown in Hawaii and the Sydney Australia show in 07. Kinda crappy videos out there though

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    FYI, besides the Bologna show above, they used the Happiness In Slavery breakdown in Hawaii and the Sydney Australia show in 07. Kinda crappy videos out there though
    They did it in pretty much all of the shows of the last leg of the tour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I wasn't aware.. Thanks.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    They definitely didn't play HIS breakdown when I saw them in Russia. But this was only a second show of summer tour (and only a second performance of TGD) so it was likely added sometime later.
    Last edited by fillow; 01-10-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I never thought I would get to hear both The Great Destroyer AND Happiness in Slavery played at the SAME show, but damnit I did! (Aragon Night 2)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    They definitely didn't play HIS breakdown when I saw them in Russia. But was only a second show of summer tour (and only a second performance of TGD) so it was likely added sometime later.
    ninwiki needs a correction...

The first audio evidence we have is August 26, 2007 @ Reading Festival. "The Great Destroyer" was played on 8/24, but no recording exists/has been made public. There is no mention of whether or not the "Happiness In Slavery" breakdown was included.