Page 200 of 215 FirstFirst ... 100 150 190 198 199 200 201 202 210 ... LastLast
Results 5,971 to 6,000 of 6439

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I think it was Biffy Clyro, if my memory can be trusted? Or maybe I'm thinking of another one of Trent's bad European experiences lol.
    Biffy Clyro were in the "Having a good time? This was the last guys. We're here to have a bad time!" event in 2013 and I doubt it was even directed at them rather then just a fun Trent-ism

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Wasn't the Biffy Clyro issue because they were headling Reading Fest right after NIN, and thus NIN couldn't have their normal production on stage?
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/biffy-clyro-49-1256819

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Random NIN Questions

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I think it was Biffy Clyro, if my memory can be trusted? Or maybe I'm thinking of another one of Trent's bad European experiences lol.
    That was Die Toten Hosen (rechristened “Washed-up Shitty Band” by Trent) in 2006. They lowered some of their stage rigs on a bunch of NIN’s guitars/ But he’s been pissed off at other bands at European festivals since.

Specifically, I seem to remember that Fall Out Boy (I think) did a lot of “we love rock’n’roll” type stage banter at Reading 2013. They played right before NIN.

During the intro of one of the NIN songs, Trent nonchalantly said “Fuck rock’n’roll by the way”. It might have been The Warning, during which he also went nuts when improvising the “your time is ticking away” part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fred; 03-29-2021 at 03:26 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm sure Trent can't wait to get back to getting pissed at European festivals too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I'm sure Trent can't wait to get back to getting pissed at European festivals too.
    And this European can’t wait to piss him off either.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    They seemed to go down really well at all the European festivals in 2018 - although they did moan about a festival in Switzerland I think at that Record shop interview!

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    It all started with this. https://ninlive.com/shows/1991/19910824.html They opened for GNR and had hot dogs thrown on stage. Being your first show in Europe I think this would definitely stick with you. I assume the first few shows for them opening were not great with the GNR crowd.

Then most of the stuff that has already been brought up during European festivals... Gear falling on guitars, storms cancelling shows, promoters not bringing enough power for the ability for NIN to run their full lighting rig etc. etc.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    And then there was Jerome's food poisoning in London (if you know what I mean)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i dont, please elaborate...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    They cancelled a headliner festival appearance in London in 2000, basically without any announcement, just leaving the fans hanging there, and blamed it on Jerome's food poisoning (at the time). Years later it was disclosed that the real reason was that TR od'd
    Last edited by fillow; 03-29-2021 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    https://www.nin.wiki/2000/07/01_London,_UK

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Reading that again...he is so lucky to be alive today and I am so glad he was able to fight through all those issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    They seemed to go down really well at all the European festivals in 2018 - although they did moan about a festival in Switzerland I think at that Record shop interview!
    They complained about their 2018 show at the St. Gallen Open Air during an interview with Mexican media called Sopitas. I watched the interview again just the other day. I saw NIN play the same festival in 2009 and it wasn't so bad. But I gotta say, that festival has a certain type of cowd, which won't be all that enthusiastic about a band like NIN. A friend of mine saw that 2018 show and confirmed to me that the vibe really wasn't there.

On the other hand, I saw NIN maybe just weeks later in Montreux, Switzerland, and it was an amazing show. Maybe the most fun I ever had at a NIN show. The crowd was totally into it and the band was feeding off from it. We also got Gary Numan joining them for Metal, that evening. Montreux is a very famous festial, where the music and the artists really are the focus of the whole thing. Plus, the people in the French-speaking part of Switzerland are a little more loose in general. In St. Gallen, people go there every year, just for the event and the camping culture. What bands are playing is secondary.

Thinking about it, I've actually been at all these shows where these events mentioned events happened.

2005 Interlaken, Greenfield Festival: Would have been my first NIN show, but a rain/hale storm came and ruined the main stage. NIN couldn't play. Whatever both bands are claiming happened, was a result of that storm. (Was there a video posted of the storm coming down on the festival on nin.com? I remember something, but I might be wrong.)

2007 Konstanz, Rock am See (Germany): "The fucking promoter lied to us and didn't bring enough power." NIN has to play without their light show, Trent is super pissed, but plays an amazing show. Even leans into the crowd during Piggy (I touched his hand, fanboy moment). Gets pissed off even more when some dude shouts HLAH during Hurt and tosses the keyboard from the stage. You've probably seen the videos.

Despite all of this, I'd say NIN played some great festival shows here in Switzerland. Apart from Montreux, the 2007 show at the Rock Oz Arenes in an old Roman amphitheatre was also great and the band seemed to be in a great mood.

Ok, enough story telling for now. Hope we'll have more stories to tell, once touring is possible again.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    So I was listening to Age of Reason by Lead Into Gold (a project from Paul Barker of Ministry) last night for probably the second time. I noticed that the drum sounds on the song "Fell From Heaven" are the same drum sounds used on "Reptile". I'm not knowledgeable enough about drum machines and synths, so my question is did both songs just end up using the same piece of gear, or did TR actually sample the LIG song?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Was there ever a reason known for why Last didn’t get a music video in the Broken movie? Just seems so odd that all of the main EP tracks got one except that song.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    So I was listening to Age of Reason by Lead Into Gold (a project from Paul Barker of Ministry) last night for probably the second time. I noticed that the drum sounds on the song "Fell From Heaven" are the same drum sounds used on "Reptile". I'm not knowledgeable enough about drum machines and synths, so my question is did both songs just end up using the same piece of gear, or did TR actually sample the LIG song?
    I discovered something similar recently, upon listening to Australian electro-industrial band Snog’s first album, Lies, Inc. (released initially in 1992, but re-released in an expanded edition in 1993).

You’ll hear similar textures to what was used in the Broken/Fixed era on the track “Manufacturing Consent” -

And even a familiar sample on the band’s debut single, “Corporate Slave” -

I kinda feel like they were just popular synth sounds/aesthetics, specific to the “scene” back at that time?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    Was there ever a reason known for why Last didn’t get a music video in the Broken movie? Just seems so odd that all of the main EP tracks got one except that song.
    Wasn’t there a story that each copy had a different segment left out, so if somebody leaked it he knew who it was? I guess I just always assumed this was the explanation.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGobi View Post
    Wasn’t there a story that each copy had a different segment left out, so if somebody leaked it he knew who it was? I guess I just always assumed this was the explanation.
    But then Trent and Rob posted a DVD remaster of it on The Pirate Bay and it was the same as early bootleg version

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Random NIN Questions

But then Trent and Rob posted a DVD remaster of it on The Pirate Bay and it was the same as early bootleg version
    Not exactly. The bootleg only had audio during Hell Me I Am In Hell whereas the remaster had both audio and video. I’m assuming the blackouts were the video of the individual songs. Not just random small blackouts strewn throughout.

But as for Last, it has never had a video or been part of the movie, no.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I remember about a week or two ago someone posted something about the Bridge School Benefit being released sometime soon? Any more news about that at all? @sweeterthan ?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I remember about a week or two ago someone posted something about the Bridge School Benefit being released sometime soon? Any more news about that at all? @sweeterthan ?
    i haven’t seen anything else about it. granted i haven’t checked since the days following the announcement.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    That was more of a Neil Young announcement than a NIN announcement so it's up to his team. And if you thought Trent's "Soon" timeline was slow, you haven't seen Neil's "Archives Vol. II is coming soon" after Volume 1 was released in 2009: volume II was released last year.

And yes, it's 1 and II.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I keep waiting for a punch in the gut, something along the lines of 'we are releasing everything we have, but we didn't say that we have every performance recorded'

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Neil has everything recorded by everybody, ever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Neil has everything recorded by everybody, ever.
    Sooooo...we should start asking his camp about Tapeworm, then? Got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    we can only speculate but what do you think how much did the sample clearance for "34 Ghosts IV" cost Lil Nas X?

just did some research and found this:
    The song, "34 Ghosts IV," was actually included in a beat made by Dutch producer YoungKio, which Lil Nas X subsequently bought online for $30. YoungKio says that before he made the beat interpolating the NIN song, he'd found it on YouTube. Prior to that, he'd never heard of Nine Inch Nails or the group's longtime leader, Trent Reznor.

According to Business Insider, while "Ghosts" was released under a Creative Commons License, which gives "fans the ability to remix and redistribute the work from a multitude of different formats," the sample itself was never cleared to appear on the beat that YoungKio put up for sale, or on Lil Nas X's original song. Once the track started gaining steam, Reznor was contacted regarding the sample, and he approved it; he's now listed as a producer and songwriter of "Old Town Road."
    source: https://www.menshealth.com/entertain...y-nominations/

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "cost". We've not been privy to the details about their agreement, so it's hard to say what the price was to clear the sample. You can be sure that Trent & Atticus are definitely getting a cut of the profits whenever it's played though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Random NIN Questions

Some artists - if they have full control over their music as is the case with Ghosts - can simply approve music or sample use without asking for money

Pretty sure the rights were asked for after it got popular and NIN waived any costs

Edit: okay not waived costs but it wasn’t blocked in any way https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...n-road-903889/
    Last edited by scorpiusdiamond; 05-05-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    What's this ad for? Fragility MTV special?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    What's this ad for? Fragility MTV special?
    Yup. And here's a nice little upgraded version for anyone who hasn't seen it...