Page 97 of 188 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 147 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 5622

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Bill is gonna be PISSED OFF when he finds out someone logged into his ETS user account.

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    I for one can understand the disdain fans of Industrial can have towards Reznor, even if I don't share the sentiment... The man brought pop sensibility to something that was furiously against any sort of mainstream proclivity.
    That's like McDonald's taking notes from the best molecular gastronomy chefs and making a line of burgers out of it. Not only that, but imagine every news outlet suddenly jumping on the bandwagon and revering McD for this brilliant innovation, and how forward thinking that move is...

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I for one can understand the disdain fans of Industrial can have towards Reznor, even if I don't share the sentiment... The man brought pop sensibility to something that was furiously against any sort of mainstream proclivity.
    That's like McDonald's taking notes from the best molecular gastronomy chefs and making a line of burgers out of it. Not only that, but imagine every news outlet suddenly jumping on the bandwagon and revering McD for this brilliant innovation, and how forward thinking that move is...
    I really get lost when thinking about who actually is industrial though - I've been to see Ministry, Front 242, I was into a band called Cubanate for a while, I think I went to see Frontline Assembly but these people all seem a bit dancy to be proper industrial?? I mean do these bands have anything to do with Throbbing Gristle???

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Yeah, Ministry is also in the huge bag of bands inspired by industrial sound without really being industrial at all. Front 242 and FLA are some sort of cyber-ebm-thingie ? I don't think about those guys when I speak about industrial, or I might as well throw orgy, stabbing westward and econoline crush in the mix and I'd rather not.

Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I really get lost when thinking about who actually is industrial though - I've been to see Ministry, Front 242, I was into a band called Cubanate for a while, I think I went to see Frontline Assembly but these people all seem a bit dancy to be proper industrial?? I mean do these bands have anything to do with Throbbing Gristle???
    i've always been disdainful of people who look down on NIN while regaling ministry and skinny puppy.
    my favorite ministry album is (and will always be) With Sympathy, which is poppier than ANYTHING trent has ever put out. also take into account that trent was close with and collaborated with john balance & peter christopherson (the latter of whom was a founding member of TG, who literally created the term "industrial music for industrial people") so i don't think the endorsement gets better than that.

anyway, my point is that what most people have considered "industrial" music for a long time is more like REALLY LOUD goth club music. whereas NIN, though it has always had more pop sensibility than that other stuff, is definitely closer in actual sound to the foundations of industrial music.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I look forward to the day when everyone forgets the term "industrial" even existed.

Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    lots of fragile stuff
    While I don't disagree with the basics of this assessment, wasn't The Fragile hugely critically acclaimed? Journalists seemed to be jizzing all over it, and the tail-end of '99 had so many magazine covers/most influential artist/etc etc nonsense. I'm pretty sure rock journalists LOVED having something of substance to review at the time, with a few minor exceptions (Pitchfork, which at that stage in its development barely even counts -- they were also pretending black people didn't exist back then).

It seemed to me like critics took a slight turn on Trent after the tour/around the AATCHB time, and then were happy to forget about NIN once the hiatus came -- mainly because Trent himself seemed stuck developmentally. I mean, why make an incredible art-rock record, and then release a shitty video with Manson and keep covering yourself in corn starch every night? I can see why it'd be tough to reconcile those two sides of NIN at the time.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    NME trashed it as did Pitchfork and a few others....british press killed it (Q magazine, Kerrang)

http://www.nme.com/reviews//1441

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5799-the-fragile/

http://www.villagevoice.com/1999-10-...pose-yourself/

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post

While I don't disagree with the basics of this assessment, wasn't The Fragile hugely critically acclaimed? Journalists seemed to be jizzing all over it, and the tail-end of '99 had so many magazine covers/most influential artist/etc etc nonsense. I'm pretty sure rock journalists LOVED having something of substance to review at the time, with a few minor exceptions (Pitchfork, which at that stage in its development barely even counts -- they were also pretending black people didn't exist back then).

It seemed to me like critics took a slight turn on Trent after the tour/around the AATCHB time, and then were happy to forget about NIN once the hiatus came -- mainly because Trent himself seemed stuck developmentally. I mean, why make an incredible art-rock record, and then release a shitty video with Manson and keep covering yourself in corn starch every night? I can see why it'd be tough to reconcile those two sides of NIN at the time.

No, not really anyways and particularly by fans. Everyone wanted TDS pt. 2. I'll even admit I didn't like TF at first because of what it wasn't more than what it was so took some time getting used to.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    NME trashed it as did Pitchfork and a few others....british press killed it (Q magazine, Kerrang)

http://www.nme.com/reviews//1441

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5799-the-fragile/

http://www.villagevoice.com/1999-10-...pose-yourself/
    Kerrang killed it? They gave it maximum points, they're the one magazine in the UK who have always loved NIN (despite the fact they constantly plug shitty pop punk bands to sell copies)

http://www.theninhotline.net/archive.../xrevw24.shtml

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I definitely think Bill is painting a picture of The Fragile's critical reception that doesn't reflect real life. (Not as blatantly as he usually does, but still.) I read every single thing I could back then and there were just a handful of middling reviews, and one of the only obscenely bad ones was Pitchfork -- which I should point out, no one even really discovered until a couple of years later when Pitchfork started gaining a little more respect/credibility (coinciding with when they stopped giving that Brent guy free reign to shit out nonsense and call it a review).

Maybe I'm wearing my rose-colored glasses, I don't know. I DO remember fans hating on the album, but not critics.
    Last edited by howdidislipinto; 11-11-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    I definitely think Bill is painting a picture of The Fragile's critical reception that doesn't reflect real life. (Not as blatantly as he usually does, but still.) I read every single thing I could back then and there were just a handful of middling reviews, and one of the only obscenely bad ones was Pitchfork -- which I should point out, no one even really discovered until a couple of years later when Pitchfork started gaining a little more respect/credibility (coinciding with when they stopped giving that Brent guy free reign to shit out nonsense and call it a review).

Maybe I'm wearing my rose-colored glasses, I don't know. I DO remember fans hating on the album, but not critics.
    This is an interesting take on it, from the ninhotline but unknown source - seems to suggest 95% of reviews were positive
    http://www.theninhotline.net/archive.../xart259.shtml

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    TR referenced it in that NY Times interview. he said something to the effect of how everyone hated TF when it came out, and now its everyone's fav album...Regardless of what the critics said, bottom line is the album was regarded as a commercial failure compared to TDS...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    TR referenced it in that NY Times interview. he said something to the effect of how everyone hated TF when it came out, and now its everyone's fav album...Regardless of what the critics said, bottom line is the album was regarded as a commercial failure compared to TDS...
    Yes, yes, everyone knows that part, no one was arguing that. Though I appreciate you backing down from the critic thing, especially after it was pointed out that one of the "shitty reviews" you cited was in fact a perfect score. Maybe there's hope?

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Regardless of what the critics said, bottom line is the album was regarded as a commercial failure compared to TDS...
    Which is odd, it sold over 500k copies in the US, which for a double album isn't that bad as that alone turns away some people. It didn't sell as many, but it really wasn't a failure at all.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Which is odd, it sold over 500k copies in the US, which for a double album isn't that bad as that alone turns away some people. It didn't sell as many, but it really wasn't a failure at all.
    It was also (sadly) priced higher than other double albums, at least in Toronto, which always bummed me out as a fan who hoped people would hear it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    This is going to sound astronomically stupid after the deep discussions that have been going on, but I've seriously been wondering this since 2005 when I first saw them live and heard this happen for myself...

In the original lyrics for The Wretched, both on the album and on the Fragility tours, the line is "the hopes and prays, the better days, the far aways". And yet when he started doing it on the With_Teeth tour and every tour since then, he reversed it to where it said "the hopes and prays, the far aways, the better days", and it's always made me wince when I hear it. I just really want to know what inspired the change.

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    This is going to sound astronomically stupid after the deep discussions that have been going on, but I've seriously been wondering this since 2005 when I first saw them live and heard this happen for myself...

In the original lyrics for The Wretched, both on the album and on the Fragility tours, the line is "the hopes and prays, the better days, the far aways". And yet when he started doing it on the With_Teeth tour and every tour since then, he reversed it to where it said "the hopes and prays, the far aways, the better days", and it's always made me wince when I hear it. I just really want to know what inspired the change.
    Trent forgets his lyrics. It really is that simple (see: Closer's last verse)

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Anyone got The Slip instrumentals for DL?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post

Listening to the Woodstock performance recently, he kept singing 'terrible LIES' - I'm sure it's just terrible lie.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    The heavens crawl
    But still we fall

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Does anybody have a copy of wittgrid.swf (WITT video shoot) from the old nin.com? I'm trying to build a usable nin.com archive for nindestruct.com and somehow this file escaped me.

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    Does anybody have a copy of wittgrid.swf (WITT video shoot) from the old nin.com? I'm trying to build a usable nin.com archive for nindestruct.com and somehow this file escaped me.
    Can @bwary help?

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Anyone got The Slip instrumentals for DL?
    Still looking, my PC doesn't want to work with the multitracks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Still looking, my PC doesn't want to work with the multitracks
    Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3zaahkxyr...al%29.zip?dl=0
    Last edited by Pyract; 11-21-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Any news on this Nine Inch Nails greatest hits album?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    Any news on this Nine Inch Nails greatest hits album?
    Nope.

10 chars

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Will Trent ever perform "Happiness In Slavery" live again?

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Will Trent ever perform "Happiness In Slavery" live again?
    Maybe

He'll probably do Broken in full one day just because it's short, so it'll happen I reckon. But will it be the same without Bob Flanagan's flattened testicles adding audio effects

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Maybe

He'll probably do Broken in full one day just because it's short, so it'll happen I reckon. But will it be the same without Bob Flanagan's flattened testicles adding audio effects
    After Chicago's Wave Goodbye night one, I can say he's as likely to do Broken all the way through as he is to do The Perfect Drug. Started the show with Pinion Last and Wish, and EVERYONE who knew about TDS the other night in NYC thought we were getting Broken. Alas, Trent knows how to troll his fans. One of the best openings to a show ever, and god damn it would have been awesome to get Happiness In Slavery and Physical on my list of songs, but I don't think we are ever getting Broken all the way through.
    Honestly, I think Happiness In Slavery is out of Trent's comfortable range anymore, like WITT. He could pull a LITS and sing it (an octave?) lower, or even have Robin "gremlin voice" Finck do the harder parts, and I would love it.

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    I don't really get Trent's fear of doing songs far from the album version - hearing HIS or TPD in a different arrangement that it suitable for his modern range and band line up wouldn't make anyone but bill annoyed.