Page 93 of 215 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 143 193 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 6439

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sipblog View Post
    Not sure if anyone caught that HITFIX article in which Trent mentions he's going to be involved with something for the next several years... Do you guys think he may be scoring that new David Fincher tv show, Utopia? Fincher has said he will be directing the entire first season. Just a thought.
    [context]

Well he said "some things" not "something", he could of course be doing it but then he could also be doing the mythical Fight Club musical at last, or something less musical like even lecturing or business/tech related.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    To me that's like saying you wish the cuts on a dvd between scenes were cleaner because you just want to skip to the best one, if an artist makes an album to be listened to as an album, then that's what it is, a composition that has many parts to its whole
    agreed.
    we live in the age of the single, and it's a shame.

i feel bad for kids growing up these days.
    Even CDs were newfangled when i was growing up.

Albums are meant to be cohesive works of art, tied together by thematic and melodic threads...at least they used to be..., and for my dollar, NIN subtly ties songs together better than just about anyone.

The way things are headed, though, it's all about scoring a hit single. My ex girlfriend's teenage kid laughed at me when i used the word "album." He thought he was so fucking cool (granted, i thought i was pretty damn cool at his age.)

He advised me that no one says the word album...that's like saying "record," hardy har har, and he and his friends listen to SONGS on their ipods, not albums.

i really hope that artists don't stop trying to make cohesive records as the times change.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    There's that difference between an album and an LP, LP is just a long form musical release, and an album should work as a solid. I know that's old and people don't use terms in that way anymore, but I feel some albums, like TDS, are not a set of songs, they're whole things. Imagine if Tubular Bells was split up into 8 tracks and people hit shuffle on it.

I used to be as bad as anyone for the shuffle button, but actually experiencing an album really changes an album, and if the only way you can listen to a song is in context, well, maybe that's a good thing.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    hell yes, @sheepdean , the repetition of the phrase "nothing can stop me now," the reappearing descending melody...tds is a "whole thing" for sure.
    other bands that are great at this, to me, are pink floyd, rush, the first perfect circle, boards of canada...

albums like that are so rewarding to me. you can really sit and "listen to a record" just like you would watch a movie if it's done the right way

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    agreed.
    we live in the age of the single, and it's a shame.
    i really hope that artists don't stop trying to make cohesive records as the times change.
    I'm not, like, a pop music historian or whatever (or even *that* old), but haven't singles been popular previously, as well? I only know about the last couple decades first hand, but it seems like we've gone from an age of "no singles", at least commercially because singles were thought to be not profitable, to an age where singles are more profitable.

I guess what I'm getting at is that there were multiple ages of singles, and through all that, there were still artists that created cohesive albums, even sometimes the same artists that were known for having really big singles. Like, The Beatles of course had a lot of big singles but their later albums in different ways were a response to that. Or even, like, Christina Aguilera. Her first album was all about the singles to the extent that non-singles were remade to be released as singles ("Come On Over"). But then Back to Basics has an overall concept (or two overall concepts I guess).

There might be a shift. But I'm sure there are some (young) people that are interested in hearing full albums and some that don't. Just like there were some people that listened to Closer or MOTP and some that listened to TDS as a cohesive work.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    There's that difference between an album and an LP, LP is just a long form musical release, and an album should work as a solid. I know that's old and people don't use terms in that way anymore, but I feel some albums, like TDS, are not a set of songs, they're whole things. Imagine if Tubular Bells was split up into 8 tracks and people hit shuffle on it.

I used to be as bad as anyone for the shuffle button, but actually experiencing an album really changes an album, and if the only way you can listen to a song is in context, well, maybe that's a good thing.
    In my CD-ripping days I aimed for a compromise: if the songs ran together I stitched them into a single file, with chapter markers for good measure. (Even did that with downloads from iTunes/Amazon, knowing the quality loss was imperceptible.) Much more shuffle friendly, and it retained some of the context.

Now that Spotify has replaced that part of my brain, my first listen is the full album — but it's shuffle ever after, artist's intentions be damned. Aside from certain exceptional albums, anyway.

Though, related, the fact the Discipline single version has SUCH a long outro compared to album is a bit irksome
    Was that version not released anywhere? I made my own "extended version" from the multitracks, but I assumed that was just because I'm weird.
    Last edited by Joy Prevention Hotline; 10-29-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The single version of Discipline was the free download we got just before the slip came out, if the site still works you can actually still get it http://dl.nin.com/discipline/kroq (it's a whole 10 seconds longer)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The single version of Discipline was the free download we got just before the slip came out, if the site still works you can actually still get it http://dl.nin.com/discipline/kroq (it's a whole 10 seconds longer)
    I gave it a shot, but no email was sent to me lol. Feels kinda great, though, just to visit a site that says 'download the new NIN single.' Makes it feel like Christmas all over again.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    As the song and the album are free to download, I'm going to assume this is ok, but I'll tag @Leviathant just in case

Here's the single version, with the original ID3 tags
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4L...ew?usp=sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has there ever been a NIN album release that didn't include a tour? Just wondering.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Ghosts and The Slip didn't have their own tour I think ?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Ghosts and The Slip didn't have their own tour I think ?
    The "Lights in the sky" tour in 2008?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    tenRightcharacters !

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Broken didn't have a supporting tour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Broken didn't have a supporting tour.
    That's because it was an EP

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan829 View Post
    That's because it was an EP
    As much as The Slip was (which had an epic tour).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I always suspected the tour plans came first, and The Slip came second -- that it was recorded so that there was new music to promote the tour/play.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    There was no Still tour

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Anyone know where to find this fan made art "the beginner's guide to NIN albums"? and it says start here at TDS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What's the story behind ETS's front page pic? And what's the quote?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeegrizzle View Post
    Anyone know where to find this fan made art "the beginner's guide to NIN albums"? and it says start here at The Downward Spiral
    Looks pretty much just like this one

Last edited by zeegrizzle; 11-02-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    How many times was MOTP played in the middle of the set?

October 07, 1994, Universal City, CA, Universal Amphitheatre

Setlist
    Pinion
    Terrible Lie
    Sin
    Mr. Self Destruct
    Something I Can Never Have
    Closer
    Reptile
    Gave Up
    March of the Pigs
    Eraser
    Hurt
    The Downward Spiral
    Wish
    Burn
    The Only Time
    Down In It
    Head Like a Hole
    Dead Souls
    Suck
    Help Me I'm In Hell
    Happiness In Slavery

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeegrizzle View Post
    Looks pretty much just like this one

this one?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    this is so wrong at all levels :P

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Have NIN ever done isolated live performances? Like a TV/award show or festival appearance while not on a tour cycle?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sipblog View Post
    Not sure if anyone caught that HITFIX article in which Trent mentions he's going to be involved with something for the next several years... Do you guys think he may be scoring that new David Fincher tv show, Utopia? Fincher has said he will be directing the entire first season. Just a thought.
    Wouldn't be surprised. The original score for the UK show sounded quite TR inspired...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    Have NIN ever done isolated live performances? Like a TV/award show or festival appearance while not on a tour cycle?
    CRC, Bridge School Benefit, Katrina Benefit - oddly, it always seems to be acoustic. But it's rare for ANY artist to do standalone major shows when not on tour, shows are expensive and so labels like to squeeze them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wouldn't be surprised. The original score for the UK show sounded quite TR inspired...
    Yeah it did, but maybe that would be too obvious for TR and AR to do it then. If they do something vastly different then I wouldn't complain.

It would be cool if Fincher got Aphex Twin but that's just a weird idea I had.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I loved the score, but it didn't remind me Trent at all to be honest. I thought it was quite its own thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post

this one?
    LOL YESSS!! My friend showed me that Ariel Pink one, so now I have to show him this... Yea pretty ridiculous. Thank you!

Edit: Looks like it could use a little update too
    Last edited by zeegrizzle; 11-03-2014 at 06:03 PM.