Page 90 of 216 FirstFirst ... 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 140 190 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 6456

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    This may sound like NIN 101 (sounds like a college course many of us would be stampeding towards), but has he ever explained why he chose a band name for something that was eventually his?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Beg your pardon ?
    You mean, why Nine Inch Nails instead of Trent Reznor and the Nails ? Probably because he still envisioned it as a band ? Or because he's been forward-thinking about that name, as it has been stated numerous times before, and he envisioned it way cooler to have a good name and a great logo. Maybe he even thought it might give him some leeway in case he decided to distance himself from what NIN is, which is, in hindsight, what he does now with the film score works... There's a difference between the artist and the outlet. NIN remains a rock band, letting Reznor do whatever Reznor wants.
    Last edited by Khrz; 09-29-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    This may sound like NIN 101 (sounds like a college course many of us would be stampeding towards), but has he ever explained why he chose a band name for something that was eventually his?
    Ask The Streets, Iron & Wine, Foo Fighters, Bright Eyes, Aphex Twin, Get Cape Wear Cape Fly, The The...

It's a combination of marketing and artistic license, in Trent's case I think he just liked the sound of it. Or maybe didn't want to be known as "that bloke who sounds like a heater"

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Or maybe didn't want to be known as "that bloke who sounds like a heater"
    Oh god, that may just be it...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Is there an easy way to still get the high resolution WAV version of The Slip? The official method doesn't work anymore.

Also, was there an Apple lossless download originally?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I got a random Nine Inch Nails Question. I noticed that Trent has used a particular 3 chord chord progression in at least three of his songs. The progression is heard in the chorus of these songs: The Beginning of the End, The Big Come Down, and Came Back Haunted.

Has anyone noticed that? I wonder if Trent does it on purpose or what because it's kind of funny. I guess with all the music he's made and by sticking to 3 or 4 chord progressions, there's only so much variation you can put in without sounding weird.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 09-30-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Well, back in June 2013 you could see a surprising number of people crying about how "he totally lost it" and CBH is the same recycled pop crap melody as almost every song since The Hand That Feeds, so you might be onto something.

Does someone know those 3 chords? I'd love to learn 'em. If they're easy. It's been six years since I got my first guitar but I still suck at it.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Is there an easy way to still get the high resolution WAV version of The Slip? The official method doesn't work anymore.
    Yes. https://archive.org/details/NineInch...Slip24bit96khz

Also, was there an Apple lossless download originally?
    Yes. https://web.archive.org/web/20080523...theslip/signup

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Thank you for the high res version! The reason I was actually asking was that I tried the official Slip link but it doesn't work for me -- when I enter the code after getting the email, it doesn't take me anywhere, just keeps asking for the code. But I found the Apple Lossless version in my archives anyway.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    I got a random Nine Inch Nails Question. I noticed that Trent has used a particular 3 chord chord progression in at least three of his songs. The progression is heard in the chorus of these songs: The Beginning of the End, The Big Come Down, and Came Back Haunted.

Has anyone noticed that? I wonder if Trent does it on purpose or what because it's kind of funny. I guess with all the music he's made and by sticking to 3 or 4 chord progressions, there's only so much variation you can put in without sounding weird.
    A lot of NIN songs are really formulaic when you break down the pieces. But so is a lot of pop music (I'm looking at you, I-IV-V). The special NINgredient (I'll show myself out) has always been the presentation.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    One way you could find the chords would be to play F# D# and A# one after the other. Those notes are the root notes or bassline to each chord. Of course the key to each song I listed is different so you could obviously start with a different note as long as the intervals between the three are the same.

I'll add that I found another song with it too: Metal or The Metal. (Can't remember)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    From 1999 to 2007 the RHCP released three singles -- all first singles from a new album -- that used the exact same chord progression in the chorus. Vastly different songs, too. Sometimes things just work.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thank you for the high res version! The reason I was actually asking was that I tried the official Slip link but it doesn't work for me -- when I enter the code after getting the email, it doesn't take me anywhere, just keeps asking for the code. But I found the Apple Lossless version in my archives anyway.
    this came up a week or so, too. I'm going to try to get the original alac files up onto archive.org.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    A lot of NIN songs are really formulaic when you break down the pieces. But so is a lot of pop music (I'm looking at you, I-IV-V).
    So is a lot of a lot of music.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    You posted that in NIN Spotting (where it had already been posted). Plus...

Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    This is just a poll by the Cleveland newspaper. It has no bearing on who is nominated for the Hall. It doesn't take the public's input on nominations (so all those petitions you might see are worthless), with one exception:

"Beginning in 2012, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame opened Nominee voting to fans around the world. The Top Five Nominees as voted by the fans count for one ballot entry, which is weighted the same as individual ballot entries submitted by members of the international voting body. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anybody know what font is being used in all of the 2014 show adverts? Like such?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GanduGains View Post
    How long will Trent hibernate for this time? I need a NEW album now!
    http://www.npr.org/2014/09/25/350948...ure-soundtrack

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    How long will Trent hibernate for this time? I need a NEW album now!
    There has been a release with new music by Trent every year since 1986. He doesn't hibernate.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Proof?????
    Which years are you bringing into question, I don't really want to list 30 years of releases

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I thought there were 7-8 year gaps between albums???
    Yes, of course. Trent doesn't just release music on albums - take into account being in other bands, collaborations with other artists, singles, remixes, soundtracks and random crap, there has been non stop music since 1986. There's much more to TR than just NIN dearie.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I thought there were 7-8 year gaps between albums???
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_In...ls_discography

Or do you count every other NIN album as "elevator music" too?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Something im really interested in, when it comes to my favorite albums, is the order of which the songs were written. As a songwriter myself, ive noticed how a lot of songs you write have a peice of the previous, or is somewhat influenced or affected by the song you wrote previous to it. Or you learn a new way to do something and all other songs after that utilize newfound skill. The tone/feel/concept of an album can completely be changed by one song. I would LOVE to know the order of each song that was written, for every nine inch nails album. Does anyone have anything concrete?

What i remember hearing- Head like a hole was last for PHM, right? Love is not enough first for WT? Only last for WT? Everything last for HM? I am probably wrong about all....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Something im really interested in, when it comes to my favorite albums, is the order of which the songs were written. As a songwriter myself, ive noticed how a lot of songs you write have a peice of the previous, or is somewhat influenced or affected by the song you wrote previous to it. Or you learn a new way to do something and all other songs after that utilize newfound skill. The tone/feel/concept of an album can completely be changed by one song. I would LOVE to know the order of each song that was written, for every nine inch nails album. Does anyone have anything concrete?

What i remember hearing- Head like a hole was last for PHM, right? Love is not enough first for WT? Only last for WT? Everything last for HM? I am probably wrong about all....
    Agreed! I kind of wish that albums came with something equivalent to the "director commentaries" that come with movies*. There's always tiny bits and pieces that you can dig up from interviews and social media, but it'd be nice to have it all there officially. (And by "nice" I mean I'd pay for it.) I know that kind of very detailed information about different takes and recording schedule is available for The Beatles (unofficially), but I don't know about any other group.

About your theories, wasn't Everything written prior to most of the songs on HM since it was made for the (unreleased) best of album?

* EDIT: I know there's that iTunes exclusive "in Conversation with" track, but I mean more like track-by-track details.
    Last edited by m15a; 10-06-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    I believe Satellite and Everything were the first couple that kicked off HM (mainly Satellite). The WT stuff shouldn't be terribly hard to dig up, since there are a lot of notes on that from Trent when it was still Bleedthrough. Can't remember which off WT was the first to get recorded, but it is documented somewhere. Not sure if you'll get much beyond first and last tracks tho.

Would be a great AMA-type question, if Trent himself can remember (seems like he'd have a sharp enough memory to recall most of it, since I'm sure each track was pretty significant to him).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Older post...

Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    @Space Suicide The biggest crazy rumor I ever heard was some shit about how Trent was married and his wife died while pregnant in a car accident, and due to his subsequent outrage at God named it Nine Inch Nails to mock Jesus' crucifixion. Hands down the most remarkably stupid thing I've ever read, and they tried to cite Terrible Lie, Ringfinger and Heresy as support of that somehow.
    It went even further than that. The video for Deep was supposedly a reference to the car accident; Trent's way of exorcising old demons.

Also, in support of his "outrage at God", he decided to work with David Bowie, who played Pontius Pilate in The Last Temptation Of Christ.

Uh huh, yeah...

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I remember during Ghosts era Trent said that there were more Ghosts to come. Do you think that some of these Ghosts made their way into any of the TSN, TGWTDT or GG soundtracks? I mean, obviously Trent didn't foresee that he was going to score movies at that time but I just can't help wondering what Trent was alluding to when he said that there were more Ghosts to come.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Probably that he/Atticus/Alan enjoyed the process of making I-IV, and liked the prospect of taking another crack at it. I imagine the soundtrack work serviced that inclination.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Ghosts had a rule though - one track in one day. That is in essence what Ghosts is, in theory you could have Ghosts with vocals, if they matched the framework

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Which years are you bringing into question, I don't really want to list 30 years of releases
    I'm not questioning you as I'm certain you're right, but what was it between 2002 and 2005?

2003 might be Peter Gabriel, but what was 2004? Wait, the TDS reissue. Never mind, nothing to see here, apparently.

WAIT WHAT WAS IT IN 1998