Page 32 of 216 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 132 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Oh damn, that's a nice surprise.

It's also an indicator of my patience level that I shouted "RELEASE IT NOW" at the screen when I clicked the link.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    According to ninwiki, there are no samples used in songs from the WT era...but I'm certain there's a sample of sorts that bridges EDIETS and the title song. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I want to start stamping my photography shots of events with a watermark and I think just my name would be sufficient but I want to use the kind of with teeth style glitch looking text. does anyone have any suggestions how to create this?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Random NIN Questions

No b sides? physical release?

Edit: so as to not seem a completely ungrateful asshole, I wrote that before I realised "copy of a" was free on amazon. Interestingly I got the HM cd artwork with mine, ordering from uk, whereas on amazon.com it's something special
    Last edited by jmtd; 08-12-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyrifts View Post
    Wasn't YZ leaked at the "Album Parties" just before the record dropped.

Well, I mean the songs that weren't found in tour venue bathrooms (Survivalism/Me, I'm Not/My Violent Heart...)
    I'm sick of this.

Only the first USB was found in a bathroom, in Portugal. The rest were all taped to barriers etc around the venue (I know because I was there when two of them were found).

Nobody "gave out" USB sticks at any point either. It's just sheer sexual luck that on the night the Survivalism video was leaked, every single copy was found by an ETS member.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    According to ninwiki, there are no samples used in songs from the WT era...but I'm certain there's a sample of sorts that bridges EDIETS and the title song. Thoughts?
    that sound is part of the title track (it continues through the verses, it's just hard to hear under the loud drums and bass). since we haven't heard it from somewhere else, you can't call it a sample. if we recognized it as a machine sound from some movie (see: "Reptile" intro), then it'd be a sample.

it's entirely possible it's sampled from somewhere, but nobody has realized it yet.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qotsa_1992 View Post
    I want to start stamping my photography shots of events with a watermark and I think just my name would be sufficient but I want to use the kind of with teeth style glitch looking text. does anyone have any suggestions how to create this?
    take pictures of the text and run it through this would be my idea:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/decim8/id392720563?mt=8

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Does it seem like there might be some manipulation that TR does with his voice on his newer releases? IE, his voice seems much deeper in live performances and especially in speaking, whereas on studio recordings it seems like some of the bass may have been shaved off his vocals. His vocals on CBH and COA sound pretty similar to TF, and even moreso WT/YZ, whereas his live voice definitely has a bit more bottom end to it.

Or maybe it's just me.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Was Still the first recording of Trent's sobriety or was it recorded before his rehabilitation?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    There are songs on there that stem from recording sessions for The Fragile. So, while the live recorded songs may be the first "sobriety recordings", the bulk of the studio versions are most likely recorded before his rehabilitation (same as "Deep", probably).

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Does it seem like there might be some manipulation that TR does with his voice on his newer releases? IE, his voice seems much deeper in live performances and especially in speaking, whereas on studio recordings it seems like some of the bass may have been shaved off his vocals. His vocals on CBH and COA sound pretty similar to TF, and even moreso WT/YZ, whereas his live voice definitely has a bit more bottom end to it.

Or maybe it's just me.
    1: It's pretty standard to cut low frequencies so they don't interfere with the bass and kick. When on tour, they'll do this, too, but every venue will differ in the acoustic of the room and quality/placement of the PA.

2: When recording in the studio, it's possible to strain your voice slightly to get the sound you want, but you can take a break at any time. In a live setting, since there's no break aside from the encore, he most likely sticks to a comfortable place for his voice so he doesn't run out of stamina 1/3 of the way through.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Studio vocals can often be delivered through minimalistic and subtle "whispers" that can be enhanced in a way that a live scenario wouldn't allow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Do people who got into NIN through Ghosts really exist?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    That's like asking if ghosts really exist. No one knows.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I introduced a friend to the Ghosts album who hates NIN, and they liked it. They still hate NIN though. Does that count?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I guess while ghosts tracks are being used all around the internet, eventually someone might look up who the artist is and then listen to the rest of the NIN catalogue, baffled at first, but then digging it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I did. I was watching some documentary about artists using CC and such. In it, they briefly showed nin.com and explained how even bigger artists are trying to find different ways of marketing and releasing their music and they mentioned Ghosts I-IV. This had to be shortly after the album got released. I meant to check out NIN ever since I heard EL-P's (whom I've been a big fan of since his underground rap stuff in the 90s) remix of "Only" (I loved the way Trent sang the vocals and still consider it one of his best vocal performances on record) and that clip about Ghosts reminded me to do so. I downloaded the first installment of it and was blown away by the production. So I've downloaded the whole thing, which took me a few days to digest. I then returned to nin.com to witness the release of The Slip (happy belated) and also looked for the latest release before the two, which happened to be Year Zero.

What followed then was the usual routine when discovering new artists... you know, trying to get a hold of every album, single, remix, b-side and whatnot. I loved the music and I loved Trents sense for artistic integrity. However, I sense a growing indifference to the newer stuff Trent's doing, because while I still very much like the production, the esthetic of it all begins to tire me and I'm often wondering wether Trent really feels the way he makes us believe through his music or it's just his way to sell the stuff. I know this may sound stupid, but as a non-native speaker I'm afraid I'm not able to elaborate this better.

Anyway... Ghosts started my NIN fandom, so yeah, those people seem to exist!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    There's no Halo mark on my Closer (To God), either part. WHY THE FREAK???

Did they perhaps... hesitate on the mark?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I did. I was watching some documentary about artists using CC and such. In it, they briefly showed nin.com and explained how even bigger artists are trying to find different ways of marketing and releasing their music and they mentioned Ghosts I-IV. This had to be shortly after the album got released. I meant to check out NIN ever since I heard EL-P's (whom I've been a big fan of since his underground rap stuff in the 90s) remix of "Only" (I loved the way Trent sang the vocals and still consider it one of his best vocal performances on record) and that clip about Ghosts reminded me to do so. I downloaded the first installment of it and was blown away by the production. So I've downloaded the whole thing, which took me a few days to digest. I then returned to nin.com to witness the release of The Slip (happy belated) and also looked for the latest release before the two, which happened to be Year Zero.

What followed then was the usual routine when discovering new artists... you know, trying to get a hold of every album, single, remix, b-side and whatnot. I loved the music and I loved Trents sense for artistic integrity. However, I sense a growing indifference to the newer stuff Trent's doing, because while I still very much like the production, the esthetic of it all begins to tire me and I'm often wondering wether Trent really feels the way he makes us believe through his music or it's just his way to sell the stuff. I know this may sound stupid, but as a non-native speaker I'm afraid I'm not able to elaborate this better.

Anyway... Ghosts started my NIN fandom, so yeah, those people seem to exist!
    Awesome

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I got into NIN through WT and TS. you can all hate me now

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This might be "old" for all of you who've been watching and commenting on the Lollapalooza Copy of A performance since it aired, but, who the hell is the person on the left side of the stage and why is she dancing and playing air drums facing the audience with a bright spotlight on her?

Is she a sign language translator for deaf audience members? Is she a comedian?

Here's a clip:

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    This might be "old" for all of you who've been watching and commenting on the Lollapalooza Copy of A performance since it aired, but, who the hell is the person on the left side of the stage and why is she dancing and playing air drums facing the audience with a bright spotlight on her?

Here's a clip:

Employed for the deaf. It was a joy to watch the two ladies in person.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    there was a lot of talk in the tour fapping thread about it, and someone even posted a short little doc about the sign language interpreters (there are several) at lolla.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    That's awesome. They should've included a close-up on the screen though, would've loved to see how they translated the "copy of a copy of a..." part.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post

Or maybe it's just me.
    Simple answer:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_effect_(audio)
    edit: well by simple, I mean simple for someone with a degree in sound technology
    tl;dr - the closer a sound gets to a microphone, the bassier it gets. being that close to the microphone Trent uses means the bass frequencies are much higher.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    why is she dancing and playing air drums
    This made me almost die from laughing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Whatever happened to this artwork? Is it not actually the cover to any iteration of the Hesitation marks release?

Just seems odd to me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMorlock View Post
    Whatever happened to this artwork? Is it not actually the cover to any iteration of the Hesitation marks release?
    It is currently the cover of the Hesitation Marks Deluxe Version on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/he...on/id655150306

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Was Still the first recording of Trent's sobriety or was it recorded before his rehabilitation?
    He made some reference on Access to it being recorded "at the bottom" (here's the ninwiki link), that's pretty much the only thing I remember hearing about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

nice

I love the motions she is doing for the "breakdown" part of Copy of A.