Page 133 of 216 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 183 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 6456

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I think Trent is Courtney.
    I was with you until this. If nothing else then only because I don't want to have ever read that sentence.

But yeah, Trent wrote the main screen theme for Call of Duty Black Ops 2. I don't think we have to "worry" about NIN music being used to promote video games.
    (Note that I not only bought the game, but the soundtrack as well, so I'm not bashing COD necessarily.)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I was with you until this. If nothing else then only because I don't want to have ever read that sentence.

But yeah, Trent wrote the main screen theme for Call of Duty Black Ops 2. I don't think we have to "worry" about NIN music being used to promote video games.
    (Note that I not only bought the game, but the soundtrack as well, so I'm not bashing COD necessarily.)
    I liked the theme, and it was quite entertaining listening to Trent flannelling around trying to come up with some artistic integrity angle for doing it!
    "I have always looked to that franchise as the cutting edge of what seemingly unlimited budgets and full-on not cutting any corners can do in the current day and age," he says.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Got a new computer. I'm trying to rebuild my music library, which I've gotten most of it back. I'm looking for the Gift audio, and the mp3 torrent audio has no seeders. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Got a new computer. I'm trying to rebuild my music library, which I've gotten most of it back. I'm looking for the Gift audio, and the mp3 torrent audio has no seeders. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    Look in the last two posts of the download archive sticky.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I dont know if I trust Mrs Reznor to do the right thing
    I'm picking up on a slight distaste for women from your post but you're being so subtle it's hard to tell.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I dont know if I trust Mrs Reznor to do the right thing
    Based on what exactly?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Regarding The Slip, does anyone know Trent's vision behind the overall sound of some of the songs like 1,000,000, Letting You, and Demon Seed?
    Conceptually, I understand roughly what the whole album is about, but the actual style and sounds that were used for those three songs... I mean I almost got a 90's punk/garage sort of vibe from them, yet it had a lot of complex NIN qualities too. Other songs like Discipline and Echoplex I didn't get the same vibe. To me those tracks sounded more like familiar NIN work.

Was Trent ever shooting for, or referencing a particular genre with the first three songs I mentioned? Was he just being distorted and Trent Reznory as usual? Or was he going for something a little over the top in terms of distortion and riffs...

I mean yeah Year Zero was distorted to hell too, but I never really questioned that album because I always imagined that it just sounded that way in order to reflect the corruption in the military and politics, while at the same time, doing it in a very new and fresh way.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 01-06-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Regarding The Slip, does anyone know Trent's vision behind the overall sound of some of the songs like 1,000,000, Letting You, and Demon Seed?
    Conceptually, I understand roughly what the whole album is about, but the actual style and sounds that were used for those three songs... I mean I almost got a 90's punk/garage sort of vibe from them, yet it had a lot of complex NIN qualities too. Other songs like Discipline and Echoplex I didn't get the same vibe. To me those tracks sounded more like familiar NIN work.

Was Trent ever shooting for, or referencing a particular genre with the first three songs I mentioned? Was he just being distorted and Trent Reznory as usual? Or was he going for something a little over the top in terms of distortion and riffs...

I mean yeah Year Zero was distorted to hell too, but I never really questioned that album because I always imagined that it just sounded that way in order to reflect the corruption in the military and politics, while at the same time, doing it in a very new and fresh way.
    I remember reading something about a garage sound, if it were made of synths.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I remember reading something about a garage sound, if it were made of synths.
    Oh no shit eh? hmm.. Interesting.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 01-07-2016 at 02:59 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

What's the rough understanding you have of the concept? I've no idea of the concept.

Does your rough understanding involve the artwork and the AIR flag? Enlighten me!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Does anyone know where I can get an mp3 of the music video version of Gave Up?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by placepinion View Post
    Get the DVD and rip it. Easy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's defintely out there...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The best explanation you're going to get is the on the bonus track on the digital release of Hesitation Marks. Trent discusses the entire concept of writing and recording The Slip - in great detail.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So do the vinyl nin albums really sound better? If so can someone recommend a really affordable vinyl player and set of speakers?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So do the vinyl nin albums really sound better? If so can someone recommend a really affordable vinyl player and set of speakers?
    Kind of!
    Vinyl is a different feel to CD, you're looking at surface noise, more distortion and less digitisation. Vinyl fans love it, some people don't. Aside from the couple of picture discs (which sound bad as default) and the first run of Pretty Hate Machine, they all sound much nicer to me.

As for affordable: what's your price range?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Kind of!
    Vinyl is a different feel to CD, you're looking at surface noise, more distortion and less digitisation. Vinyl fans love it, some people don't. Aside from the couple of picture discs (which sound bad as default) and the first run of Pretty Hate Machine, they all sound much nicer to me.

As for affordable: what's your price range?
    Like $100-300 for each item.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Like $100-300 for each item.
    For a mid range then, a good table is generally a pro-ject, this one on amazon is cheap rn at only 299 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ZDLWYMX7H6GGTI
    Speakers, maybe some A2s http://amzn.to/1SCSbMH
    And throw in a decent cheap preamp http://amzn.to/1OdM6Rw

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    For a mid range then, a good table is generally a pro-ject, this one on amazon is cheap rn at only 299 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ZDLWYMX7H6GGTI
    Speakers, maybe some A2s http://amzn.to/1SCSbMH
    And throw in a decent cheap preamp http://amzn.to/1OdM6Rw
    Awesome. Thanks for those suggestions. Do those speakers work good with computers as well?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Awesome. Thanks for those suggestions. Do those speakers work good with computers as well?
    They should do yeah - you can pick up a dirt cheap audio input selector so you can switch between inputs too, so you can wire a PC, HiFi and anything else all to the same speakers

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    They should do yeah - you can pick up a dirt cheap audio input selector so you can switch between inputs too, so you can wire a PC, HiFi and anything else all to the same speakers
    Would the bass on these crack my skull? Thats what I want!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Depends on the album lol. But these aren't designed to be the wub wub stuff that blows out eardrums, it's more about finding the fine detail. However, Fixed on vinyl will fucking rip you apart

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Try the DVD-A of The Downward Spiral

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Depends on the album lol. But these aren't designed to be the wub wub stuff that blows out eardrums, it's more about finding the fine detail. However, Fixed on vinyl will fucking rip you apart
    These are the ones I have now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001S1...omL&ref=plSrch

would the bass be better than these? If so I'd buy them right now!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    You physically cannot get "skull-cracking" bass without a subwoofer. You need the large driver to push that amount of air. There is no speaker in the world that can trick the laws of physics. And for vinyl, a sub would just be enhancing the table rumble. So. Limited value-add unless you get a cheap/hand-me-down set – I inherit my parents' surround sets every few years and those subs do the trick.

You get a bass boost when you sit speakers against surfaces, though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    You physically cannot get "skull-cracking" bass without a subwoofer. You need the large driver to push that amount of air. There is no speaker in the world that can trick the laws of physics. And for vinyl, a sub would just be enhancing the table rumble. So. Limited value-add unless you get a cheap/hand-me-down set – I inherit my parents' surround sets every few years and those subs do the trick.

You get a bass boost when you sit speakers against surfaces, though.
    Yeah, but will the speakers sheepy suggested have better bassage than the ones I have? Because the air that bass was queefing really tickled my balls with delight. Any expert advice on this would be helpful.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Curious as to whether Trent wrote the line 'crown of thorns' (as oppose to shit) originally for the radio edits or was this on Rubin/Cash?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If they sound better really depends on your whole signal chain. If you have a high-end table that is able to play all the detail in the vinyl but a crappy preamp or speakers it doesn't really matter what your table transmits since it gets lost on the way. Even crappy cables can ruin it. You're only as strong as your weakest link

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    Curious as to whether Trent wrote the line 'crown of thorns' (as oppose to shit) originally for the radio edits
    I was under the impression that that was the lyric for every version of Cash's cover.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Maybe I didn't investigate closely enough, or don't know my Reptile well enough (not a favorite of mine, but I usually nail song structures)--wasn't it a playback/sampling issue in Alex Carapetis' first show?

Last edited by Amaro; 01-08-2016 at 01:59 PM.