Page 67 of 216 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 167 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 6456

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    None. But if you want original master (which many people prefer) (I'm not one of them), then you'd have to go original vinyl.
    except the track splits on the vinyl are messed up, because it wasn't overseen by trent (or, apparently, anyone who knew what they were doing). i don't even know if it was properly mastered for vinyl...but i hope so.

i'm gonna have to agree that the SACD would be the way to go.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_b View Post
    Where did this whole "Ally" nickname for Alessandro come from? :-)
    Could use "Al" if that wasn't taken by Jourgensen

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    The older you are, the less frequencies you hear, so even at 25+ it's mostly and inevitably "placebo effect"
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 04-07-2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: moar

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    except the track splits on the vinyl are messed up, because it wasn't overseen by trent (or, apparently, anyone who knew what they were doing). i don't even know if it was properly mastered for vinyl...but i hope so.

indeed, it's not even worth listening to a vinyl copy at this point, imo.

also, if we're making the fidelity argument against vinyl for a digital recording, don't bother with the SACD either — it was recorded at 24bit/44.1kHz, so you're not getting any benefits from that being rescanned into 1bit/2.8MHz SACD anyway. even the DVD-A is buffed up to 48kHz.

(same story with the TGWTDT soundtrack — it was recorded in 24/48 but the hi-res files are at 24/96 because they were mastered that high. sometimes it makes a difference... for TDS, i'm not sure if the higher mastering fidelity would have done much. it's more about the quality of the mastering than the delivery method in its case.)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Isn't there a lossless 24/48 stereo track on the DVD-Audio layer of the DualDisc? That's probably as good as it gets, though the SACD stereo sounds great too.
    Last edited by botley; 04-08-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is there a definitive playlist for the gift/lits? Is any one of the three shows better? Or has anyone maybe a playlist by combining the three shows? By definitive I mean the best performance for each song.

Has as anyone ever tracked nin's longest shows? By time or number of songs. I would imagine the last wave goodbye shows are up there.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post
    Is there a definitive playlist for the gift/lits? Is any one of the three shows better? Or has anyone maybe a playlist by combining the three shows? By definitive I mean the best performance for each song.

Has as anyone ever tracked nin's longest shows? By time or number of songs. I would imagine the last wave goodbye shows are up there.
    I would imagine this was the longest show?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    aa
    Last edited by vicodinfx; 03-31-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicodinfx View Post

Saturday at Lollapalooza Brazil I managed to get one of those guitar picks. There were some picks with the new logo (the N), some with NIN written on them and this one. Do you guys have any idea what does "LOL" on those picks mean? I though it had something to do with Lollapalooza, but I found a picture on an instagram profile dated from a couple of months ago (http://instagram.com/p/gVjWtdrZq7/) and now I have no ideia what is the real story behind those guitar picks.
    Maybe it's, like, "LOL. The fans are going to be wondering what 'LOL' means for years!"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    There was this blog with NIN photoshops. That was their logo afaik.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Ally broke a sweat at austin city limits.
    Which brings me to my question....
    which one of us is going to say something to Trent about The Pants?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ally broke a sweat at austin city limits.
    Which brings me to my question....
    which one of us is going to say something to Trent about The Pants?
    I kinda like the pants on him. The drop-crotch shorts, however...

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    i don't understand the drop-crotch movement. We need to have an intervention.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Saturday at Lollapalooza Brazil I managed to get one of those guitar picks. There were some picks with the new logo (the N), some with NIN written on them and this one. Do you guys have any idea what does "LOL" on those picks mean? I though it had something to do with Lollapalooza, but I found a picture on an instagram profile dated from a couple of months ago (http://instagram.com/p/gVjWtdrZq7/) and now I have no ideia what is the real story behind those guitar picks.
    pretty sure it's supposed to look like a guy rocking out. the "o" is his head and the Ls are his arms.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Well..they DID play Lollapalooza last year in August. So...my guess is that your initial guess (which was my thought as well) is right.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Well..they DID play Lollapalooza last year in August. So...my guess is that your initial guess (which was my thought as well) is right.
    I got one of those picks from the London show last year. So...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I got one of those picks from the London show last year. So...
    Which was after Lollapalooza. Meaning if they ordered pics in a normal quantity (read: hundreds of them), they'd certainly still have them kicking around after one concert.

But of course, it's also possible that someone was just having...you know...a laugh.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    The older you are, the less frequencies you hear, so even at 25+ it's mostly and inevitably "placebo effect"
    This is the saddest truth in the entire world.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Sorry if this has been asked before... The Austin City Limits performance of Sanctified contains a synth line from another NIN song and it's driving me nuts trying to figure it out. It's played elsewhere but here is the clearest sounding part...

EDIT: Time stamp isn't working. Go to 4m 10s...

My random NIN question is this. What song is this synth part from?

It's kind of like how the liver version of Closer has a synth line from The Only Time.

EDIT: Follow up question: Why did the time stamp in my url not work?
    Last edited by gladcarrot; 04-10-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Sunspots

10 characters

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gladcarrot View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before... The Austin City Limits performance of Sanctified contains a synth line from another NIN song and it's driving me nuts trying to figure it out. It's played elsewhere but here is the clearest sounding part...

EDIT: Time stamp isn't working. Go to 4m 10s...

It's kind of like how the liver version of Closer has a synth line from The Only Time.

1. Timestamp worked for me.
    2. Synthline is from Sunspots and it's perfectly clear you haven't been lurking ETS for a while.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Sunspots

10 characters
    Oh yeah, the vacuum cleaner part! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    1. Timestamp worked for me.
    2. Synthline is from Sunspots and it's perfectly clear you haven't been lurking ETS for a while.
    1. Your computer is smarter than mine.
    2. Correct.
    Last edited by gladcarrot; 04-10-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone ever tried getting the synth sound from The Only Time / Down In It / That's What I Get? If so, have you had any luck on getting anything that sounds remotely close to it? Finally managed to figure out the bass synth sound from Closer and I figured this sound would be a nice challenge. Thanks!

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    More discussion here:
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...NSION-version)

It's just because of the way the parsing code on the board works to generate the embedded video. It doesn't handle the timestamp code, apparently.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    quick question. do the nin vinyls sound better than the cd rips assuming they are ripped with the same settings (such as 320 kbps mp3's)? i am just wondering I am updating all of my nin library and including both apple lossless and mp3's and wondering if the vinyls would sound any better than just the cd rips

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qotsa_1992 View Post
    quick question. do the nin vinyls sound better than the cd rips assuming they are ripped with the same settings (such as 320 kbps mp3's)? i am just wondering I am updating all of my nin library and including both apple lossless and mp3's and wondering if the vinyls would sound any better than just the cd rips
    it's really a matter of taste.

for me, a vinyl rip of something has almost no point, because when i want to listen to a record, i listen to a record. if i'm in the car or on the train listening to an MP3 version of something, even as an audio engineer, i'm not going to hear much difference between a vinyl rip and a straight up digital source (other than that the digital source is always going to sound cleaner) because there are so many other factors impacting the sound. if you're talking about listening in a controlled environment, i guess a vinyl rip might be better, but it's still a digital version of an analog medium that was made using a digital master.

in other words, i don't think you need to bother with the vinyl rips, but if you want to check them out, it's not going to hurt you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if it's possible to view an uncensored version of the Starfuckers music video? I have the feeling that it was made to be censored and the raw footage was completely edited. But if anyone somehow found some footage it would be great to see it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    Does anyone know if it's possible to view an uncensored version of the Starfuckers music video? I have the feeling that it was made to be censored and the raw footage was completely edited. But if anyone somehow found some footage it would be great to see it.
    You know, I have seen the uncensored version before, but it appears good old Vevo pulled it. There's really not much to it other than unblurred swear words - and unpopular opinion, I think the song Starsuckers is better anyway :P

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    To glitchyflame.
    I have all the videos uncensored mate apart from the new ones.
    if you want i could burn you a copy but i cant do it till next saturday and you would have to pay the postage.
    like sheepdean said there not much of a difference.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Anyone here remember the sin live video that Rob videotaped with his camera but not uploaded for various reasons? (from 2009 iirc)
    I've seen the fan-shot youtube video of the same performance here on ETS, and I'm trying to locate it, but cannot recall the exact date... Help!