Page 4 of 208 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    For my thoughts, as far as the sound, Everything is just a thoroughly weirdass piece to come from Trent. Nearing two years later and I still have no clue of whether I like it or not. Never before has any song bamboozled me so. It also strikes me as strange that it was used as a single for HM, and was also purported to have been made for a nin greatest hits album. Why and why?

It would have been nice to hear nin perform Everything live. I think the live incarnation would have helped me get a better feel for it. The studio version is elusive to me.

According to Trent,

"To me, 'Everything' is a descendant of Fear and Joy Division and New Order."

Oh man now that I just listened to a Joy Devision song, Digital, I can totally here the similarities; the chorusy bass and guitars, the repeating vocals, the way the parts get louder and louder for a bit, the way the drums sound...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    What do you all think of Everything? It's supposed to sound like an indie rock/alternative rock song with an underlying Nine Inch Nails-ness to it right? That was my impression. I thought the instrumentation was supposed to be intentionally ironic that way.
    I got a huge grin on my face the first time I heard it. I actually think it's a pretty fantastic song. It fits weirdly on HM though, I prefer to listen to it on its own.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hey guys,

This is an old question but I missed out on the Year Zero stuff so I must ask; What was up with the grey, button up shirts, suit pants and ties NIN members wore at some of the concerts? What did it mean? Was their a definite explanation behind the clothing?

Also, does anyone have a comprehensive year zero content collection? I'm not really talking music and remix's, but more like all the weird websites, phone numbers, spectrographs and such from the ARG..?
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 08-14-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Also, does anyone have a comprehensive year zero content collection? I'm not really talking music and remix's, but more like all the weird websites, phone numbers, spectrographs and such from the ARG..?
    Year Zero Research — NinWiki

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Thank you very much.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what the NIN artwork that is my avatar photo is called? Or which album it might refer to? It makes me think of With Teeth, but it looks like a variation of the album cover... Who created this one? Russell Mills or Rob Sheridan?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what the NIN artwork that is my avatar photo is called? Or which album it might refer to? It makes me think of With Teeth, but it looks like a variation of the album cover... Who created this one? Russell Mills or Rob Sheridan?
    I think it's something year zero-y? There were a bunch of avatars and stuff from then ( @Leviathant will know as he supplies the avatars for ETS). That means it's Rob Sheridan. And sadly, he very rarely names his pieces publicly. We know a few of the HTDA ones from filenames, but generally they're just ~stuff~.

And because you only listed two options, the full rundown of art designers for NIN:
    PHM-Fixed: Gary Talpas
    TDS era: Russell Mills (Talpas directing)
    TPD: Gary Talpas
    TF: David Carson
    TFA: Rob Sheridan
    AATCHB: Mills and Sheridan
    WT-YZ: Sheridan
    Ghosts: Philip Graybill and Sheridan
    TS: Sheridan
    HM: Mills (Sheridan directing)

I probably forgot some, but that should help get a vague idea of who did what over the years.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I think it's something year zero-y? There were a bunch of avatars and stuff from then ( @Leviathant will know as he supplies the avatars for ETS). That means it's Rob Sheridan. And sadly, he very rarely names his pieces publicly. We know a few of the HTDA ones from filenames, but generally they're just ~stuff~.

And because you only listed two options, the full rundown of art designers for NIN:

I probably forgot some, but that should help get a vague idea of who did what over the years.
    Right, yeah I've only known of Rob and Russell, but I'm not too surprised if there were/are others involved. Thanks for mentioning the others and letting me know that this particular one was probably related to Year Zero.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Mills and Talpas also did Closure. AATCHB was by Carson, with some Sheridan photos of old Mills art for some of the DVD menus and such.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    If it's not this, then it is very similar. Either way, it's With Teeth extra/promo artwork from Rob. A while back, his professional portfolio website had a bunch of different art that wasn't used for With Teeth on it, a good handful of which I think were used for avatars on ETS.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    If it's not this, then it is very similar. Either way, it's With Teeth extra/promo artwork from Rob. A while back, his professional portfolio website had a bunch of different art that wasn't used for With Teeth on it, a good handful of which I think were used for avatars on ETS.
    Ahhh... Man I love some of this art; all glitchy, and combing effecty. yeah I thought it had a sort of with teech resemblance to it.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 12-11-2015 at 04:53 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Which NIN Song Is This?

https://soundcloud.com/north-star-2

Hey guys I tried humming this melody into the smartphone Soundhound app but it couldn't recognize it. Anyone recognize the melody?

NOTE: Click on the first track on my soundcloud account with the obvious title.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 12-09-2015 at 05:46 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I believe I recall Trent saying on a Gone Girl interview, that he was going to get started on another NIN album. Is that actually happening?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I believe I recall Trent saying on a Gone Girl interview, that he was going to get started on another NIN album. Is that actually happening?
    He says it in both these interviews. But that's just what he said. Doesn't really mean squat.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by placepinion View Post
    He says it in both these interviews. But that's just what he said. Doesn't really mean squat.

Well yeah it's not guaranteeeeed but I'm sure Reznor isn't a wolf cryer. Definitely something is going to come of this.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 12-10-2015 at 03:58 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Regarding The Slip, does anyone know Trent's vision behind the overall sound of some of the songs like 1,000,000, Letting You, and Demon Seed?
    Conceptually, I understand roughly what the whole album is about, but the actual style and sounds that were used for those three songs... I mean I almost got a 90's punk/garage sort of vibe from them, yet it had a lot of complex NIN qualities too. Other songs like Discipline and Echoplex I didn't get the same vibe. To me those tracks sounded more like familiar NIN work.

Was Trent ever shooting for, or referencing a particular genre with the first three songs I mentioned? Was he just being distorted and Trent Reznory as usual? Or was he going for something a little over the top in terms of distortion and riffs...

I mean yeah Year Zero was distorted to hell too, but I never really questioned that album because I always imagined that it just sounded that way in order to reflect the corruption in the military and politics, while at the same time, doing it in a very new and fresh way.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 01-06-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Regarding The Slip, does anyone know Trent's vision behind the overall sound of some of the songs like 1,000,000, Letting You, and Demon Seed?
    Conceptually, I understand roughly what the whole album is about, but the actual style and sounds that were used for those three songs... I mean I almost got a 90's punk/garage sort of vibe from them, yet it had a lot of complex NIN qualities too. Other songs like Discipline and Echoplex I didn't get the same vibe. To me those tracks sounded more like familiar NIN work.

Was Trent ever shooting for, or referencing a particular genre with the first three songs I mentioned? Was he just being distorted and Trent Reznory as usual? Or was he going for something a little over the top in terms of distortion and riffs...

I mean yeah Year Zero was distorted to hell too, but I never really questioned that album because I always imagined that it just sounded that way in order to reflect the corruption in the military and politics, while at the same time, doing it in a very new and fresh way.
    I remember reading something about a garage sound, if it were made of synths.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I remember reading something about a garage sound, if it were made of synths.
    Oh no shit eh? hmm.. Interesting.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 01-07-2016 at 02:59 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

What's the rough understanding you have of the concept? I've no idea of the concept.

Does your rough understanding involve the artwork and the AIR flag? Enlighten me!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    What's the rough understanding you have of the concept? I've no idea of the concept.

Does your rough understanding involve the artwork and the AIR flag? Enlighten me!
    I wish I knew more but considering lyrics like "I'm safe in here, irrelevant. Just like they said." Followed by lyrics like "Now I know, this was all a lie." Also the crazy lyrics like "Wait your turn while they finish you off."
    I got the impression that the album was about corruption in the government and that us civilians and non-political figures have been living in an illusion.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 01-10-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The best explanation you're going to get is the on the bonus track on the digital release of Hesitation Marks. Trent discusses the entire concept of writing and recording The Slip - in great detail.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So I know for the most part Trent was always the writer, composer, and arranger of his music and saved most of the final mixing and mastering to the engineers, but as for producing his albums... Did he ever have a producer helping him with stuff like his artistic vision, themes and overall style in order to stay commercial enough to make money? Or was Trent on his own with that too?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So I know for the most part Trent was always the writer, composer, and arranger of his music and saved most of the final mixing and mastering to the engineers, but as for producing his albums... Did he ever have a producer helping him with stuff like his artistic vision, themes and overall style in order to stay commercial enough to make money? Or was Trent on his own with that too?
    a) See, there's this dude called Atticus...
    b) There's cowriters on nearly every release

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    a) See, there's this dude called Atticus...
    b) There's cowriters on nearly every release
    I emphasize, "for the most part".

I know he had co-writers and that he got help with a lot of instrumentation with song writing, but I was looking for whether he had producer credit on any albums after PHM.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 01-25-2016 at 06:49 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Can someone point me to the New NIN Material Thread? Just trying to check up on that but I can't seem to find it well.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Can someone point me to the New NIN Material Thread? Just trying to check up on that but I can't seem to find it well.
    Well, there isn't an new NIN material, and therefore the thread was locked http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...coming-in-2016

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Well, there isn't an new NIN material, and therefore the thread was locked http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...coming-in-2016
    Oh okay thanks anyway at least I understand how things are gonna be. Guess Trent's got no where else to hide, but God is on our side. At least, I'm sure that's what Placebo keeps telling himself. I am trying to believe, in this new material.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    But there will be.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Hey guys, what do you think about future musicians going "eh" on stage before new segments while performing? Above in the video are some examples of the use of "eh" and I also took a snapshot of some goof's post on gearslutz wondering whether or not he could get away with doing the "eh" when he becomes a famous musician. >>>

Okay... So it was me the whole time : }
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 03-14-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just to make sure, it's "count down to the end"... Not "god damn Julien"... Right?