Page 148 of 216 FirstFirst ... 48 98 138 146 147 148 149 150 158 198 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,440 of 6456

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Did Trent ever record a studio version of "Now I'm Nothing"?
    According to Trent: "I don't think we ever recorded it in the studio because I absorbed some of the words into the Broken record."

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    According to Trent: "I don't think we ever recorded it in the studio because I absorbed some of the words into the Broken record."
    That's unfortunate, though I guess since it's supposed to lead into "Terrible Lie," it didn't make sense.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Has this been the biggest drought on record for real NIN Spotting? I can't remember a time when TR has said essentially nothing for more than six months.
    Then you are either a toddler or suffering from mid term memory loss.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Ive followed Rob casually through social media for a while now, and your impression of him baffles me. Leaving aside the fact that he's a very talented visual artist, I've never observed him being a dick about anything. He has opinions, and he can be sarcastic, but I've never seen him be mean spirited. And I don't think I've seen evidence that he is particularly cocky or full of himself either.
    I saw him briefly IRL at Paris NIN concert back in 2009 in order to pass him a mashup album, he was very cool to a fanboy like me.

Twitter shouldn't be taken as seriously anyway.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    On one hand, my initial thought when reading Rob's tweets re: Pokemon was, "Don't shit where you eat." But then, he doesn't really internet publicly (yes, that's me using internet as a verb) anymore, so... *shrug*

Some people talk about him as if he's full of himself, but in my experience that's not the case at all. I would say that if anything, he just gets overwhelmed. I mean, I had trouble as a human being just handling the attention I got running a fan site for NIN. The kind of off-the-wall shit Rob encountered is not easily summed up. He'll literally give you the food off his plate.

I would almost read his anti-Pokemon tweets (and a lot of his previous snarky output) as self-deprecation. He's surely spent more than his fair share of time playing video games and wasting time online instead of experiencing the world around him. Given his drop in public output, I suspect that's changed - awesome!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I would describe a similar impression of Rob: someone who works REALLY hard, is very talented, and has nothing but appreciation for NIN fans in person. However, the sheer quantity of never-ending bullshit he put up with for years as NIN's very visible online presence guy — it's actually scary to think about and I don't blame him for speaking out a bit now that it's not his full-time job anymore to be nice online. He's observed firsthand the ridiculous effect of being on the internet all day, over and over, as the official social media presence for the NIN camp. So, yeah, it's not speaking out of school for him to describe "zombification" when observing this phenomenon.

Oh, and other than strictly in "will you charge my credit card?" terms, the Pokemon Go app is not free. Your private data is very valuable, and just by playing the game you surrender a huge quantity to its owners, to do with as they please. Do you really trust them?
    Last edited by botley; 09-07-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    the Pokemon Go app is not free. Your private data is very valuable, and just by playing the game you surrender a huge quantity to its owners, to do with as they please. Do you really trust them?
    By that definition nothing is free anymore. Everything is a transaction of some kind.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    By that definition nothing is free anymore. Everything is a transaction of some kind.
    If you're informed about what you're giving up, it is. If you're not, it's zombification.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    God I'm too old for made-up words. I'm still on the Romero version of zombies, there's a new kind now? Back in my days we just called them consumers.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    God I'm too old for made-up words. I'm still on the Romero version of zombies, there's a new kind now? Back in my days we just called them consumers.
    Haha, the "consumption" is spreading...
    Last edited by botley; 09-07-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baudolino View Post
    Then you are either a toddler or suffering from mid term memory loss.
    OK. So provide a counter-example. The only similar blackout I can think of might be somewhere in the 2003-2004 era.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Oh, and other than strictly in "will you charge my credit card?" terms, the Pokemon Go app is not free. Your private data is very valuable, and just by playing the game you surrender a huge quantity to its owners, to do with as they please. Do you really trust them?
    I'm sorry, but what ~private data~ of mine, exactly, is Google getting from Pokemon Go? Why should I be worried that Google knows where I bike late at night? Or that I made a trip up to Buffalo a few weeks ago to visit a friend (checked in to 2-3 places on FB while I was up there, too). Is my phone a secret government tracking device? Does Pikachu know my bank account number now?

OK. So provide a counter-example. The only similar blackout I can think of might be somewhere in the 2003-2004 era.
    Wasn't the whole NIN news front a little more dead from like 2002-2004? I remember having just become a big fan of NIN in 2002 and thinking "great, I'm super into a band that no longer exists..."
    Last edited by sick among the pure; 09-07-2016 at 02:33 PM. Reason: multi-quoting

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I'm sorry, but what ~private data~ of mine, exactly, is Google getting from Pokemon Go?
    I wouldn't know in your specific case, but here is an explainer on what it collects. And once you consent to that, the developers are allowed to share whatever they collect with any third parties, under no limitations, even after you stop playing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

seriously? i was merely trying to be funny. though thinking of it, 2015 wasn't utterly eventful either.
    Last edited by baudolino; 09-07-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I wouldn't know in your specific case, but here is an explainer on what it collects. And once you consent to that, the developers are allowed to share whatever they collect with any third parties, under no limitations, even after you stop playing.
    You know what, this is NIN questions, not Pokemon Go discussion. So instead of helping yet another NIN topic go off-topic due to lack of new NIN information to discuss, I'll reply to you in the actual Pokemon Go topic we have here at ETS.

So here's a NIN question I've been thinking about for a while: as an artist, I love collecting and discussing NIN art stuff. Posters, shirts, my framed album flats, etc. What is everyone's favorite era for art? I would imagine TDS is up there for everyone, because Russell Mills' work is not only amazing in it's own right, but also because that dirty organic feel goes well with the NIN sound. Personally, my favorite art era is probably The Fragile, simply because I'm biased and love abstracted/altered photography and macro photography.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think I like the Hesitation Marks album art the best, but I think I'm pretty biased by the fact that I haven't seen a physical copy of most of the albums in years and years. (I've thrown out most of my CDs since I've had to move so much.) Also, that deluxe edition of HM was like $2 from that one online store, so the packaging fills me with a sense of joyous frugality.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The Fragile era, for sure... all those mysterious clickable squares on nin.com, the single and album artwork... that FUCKING LYRIC BOOK! Oh my God, David Carson is amazing. I'm going to pull it all out again tonight.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    So here's a NIN question I've been thinking about for a while: as an artist, I love collecting and discussing NIN art stuff. Posters, shirts, my framed album flats, etc. What is everyone's favorite era for art? I would imagine TDS is up there for everyone, because Russell Mills' work is not only amazing in it's own right, but also because that dirty organic feel goes well with the NIN sound. Personally, my favorite art era is probably The Fragile, simply because I'm biased and love abstracted/altered photography and macro photography.
    Ghosts' art was fantastic, the images mirror the music mirror the images

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Has this been the biggest drought on record for real NIN Spotting? I can't remember a time when TR has said essentially nothing for more than six months.
    Not true. He tweeted "not true"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    And there was that piece of new music he released 69 days ago. Nothing major like a vague tweet from Trent, though. (And he did post something non-NIN related on Apple Music Connect 19 days ago, too.)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The Fragile era, for sure... all those mysterious clickable squares on nin.com, the single and album artwork... that FUCKING LYRIC BOOK! Oh my God, David Carson is amazing. I'm going to pull it all out again tonight.
    So much this. I also love the videos Bill Viola did for the live show around that time. Absolutely beautiful.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Did we ever get a full video grab from the Fragility 1.0 version of that segment in the show? Aside from the fragmentary MTV special, I don't think a pro-shot document of the 1999 European leg from that tour exists. But those clips show some really tantalizingly different-looking stuff in the video content (which was a front-projected scrim like the Self Destruct and Live: With Teeth indoor arena shows, not the LED triptych format). I don't remember if the Japan 2000 shows used any video to accompany La Mer/The Great Below/The Way Out Is Through. Hey @ninlive did you ever get any further word on that Copenhagen '99 video that supposedly exists?
    Last edited by botley; 09-08-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Did we ever get a full video grab from the Fragility 1.0 version of that segment in the show? Aside from the fragmentary MTV special, I don't think a pro-shot document of the 1999 European leg from that tour exists. But those clips show some really tantalizingly different-looking stuff in the video content (which was a front-projected scrim like the Self Destruct and Live: With Teeth indoor arena shows, not the LED triptych format). I don't remember if the Japan 2000 shows used any video to accompany La Mer/The Great Below/The Way Out Is Through. Hey @ninlive did you ever get any further word on that Copenhagen '99 video that supposedly exists?
    I'm not aware of the Copenhagen 99 footage? Where did you hear this?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The La Mer/Great Below Fragility visuals are possibly my number 1 NIN-related thing (like many other NIN-related things, haha). Trent's "and I descend from grace" growl mirrored with the silhouette of sinking light? Holy fucking shit. That's why I can't ever quit this band. That's as good as it gets.

I don't have a specific favorite art era but TDS is my favorite for individual pieces of art (and music videos because Mark Romanek was born to direct NIN videos and it's a motherfucking shame he's only made two), Year Zero for overall direction just due to the scope, scale and consistency in aesthetic and overall vibe and With_Teeth for mood -- the drippy, inky messiness, the almost creepy, infectious vibe to it.

I'm always going to wish I never knew about Trent's proposed With Teeth art book because it's what I want more than any of the other unreleased promises. I've always wanted to see more of that fucking weird, isolating, strangely-attractive aesthetic.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    I'm not aware of the Copenhagen 99 footage? Where did you hear this?
    Was referring to the note at the bottom of this page. I guess nobody's learned any more about it since then...

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Was referring to the note at the bottom of this page. I guess nobody's learned any more about it since then...
    Ah... Forgot I had that note on there! Heh.... I heard some people comment about it in a DAT-HEADs post. But I have not found any other information regarding it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Checking out that setlist, can't say I've heard the song Repltile before

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    Checking out that setlist, can't say I've heard the song Repltile before
    It's a very obscure cut only on Taiwanese pressings of The Donward Sprial.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This is a semi-NIN related question, but at the end of "Break" by Saul Williams, about the last minute when he starts singing, "Break the cycle, break the chain," I can swear I can hear a NIN song in the background. Maybe I'm just hearing because it's Trent producing the album, but I swear I've heard that particular arrangement before, but I can't put my finger on it. I assume it's from one of the remix albums. Can anyone help me out?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    This is a semi-NIN related question, but at the end of "Break" by Saul Williams, about the last minute when he starts singing, "Break the cycle, break the chain," I can swear I can hear a NIN song in the background. Maybe I'm just hearing because it's Trent producing the album, but I swear I've heard that particular arrangement before, but I can't put my finger on it. I assume it's from one of the remix albums. Can anyone help me out?
    Get the multitracks from http://ninremixes.com/8/multitracks.php and start digging into it.

My question:
    Out of the hundreds of thousands of bootlegs, torrents, YouTube videos, "remasters" etc. of NIN's legendary performance at Woodstock '94, which one has the absolute BEST audio and video?