Page 13 of 216 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wasn't really sure where to put this, so feel free to move it...

David Bowie has just announced a new album, first in ten years. I wonder if this is the artist/hero that Trent was referring to when he said on Twitter he was working with someone about 2 months ago? Or did someone guess him at the time, as Trent had said that no-one had guessed it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post

David Bowie has just announced a new album, first in ten years. I wonder if this is the artist/hero that Trent was referring to when he said on Twitter he was working with someone about 2 months ago? Or did someone guess him at the time, as Trent had said that no-one had guessed it.
    well, they've also worked together before (not only on tour, but on "I'm Afraid Of Americans"). it seemed like trent was hinting at someone with whom he had never before collaborated.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Considering the timing, I'm pretty sure the db album was pretty much done (musically) by the time Trent hinted on his collaboration.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Well, TR's tweet three months ago said he was "In the studio for a day of experimentation with a hero of mine" and the new album cover is based on Heroes. It wouldn't be unlike him to engineer a little mindfuckery like that, eh?

The album isn't being released for another two months, so it's not out of the question that they worked on a song together back then.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    well, they've also worked together before (not only on tour, but on "I'm Afraid Of Americans"). it seemed like trent was hinting at someone with whom he had never before collaborated.
    Yeah, have to admit, I got that nuance as well.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Guitar question! Trent uses standard E tuning for most NIN songs. He has, however, used Drop D on several occasions, such as (if I'm not mistaken) half of With_Teeth. Some songs, like Sunspots and The Good Soldier, were in Drop C f(rom what I've seen on ultimate-guitar.com's findings). Has Trent used any other odd guitar tunings?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

There are no "special guests" on the Bowie album, only people he's worked with before. You make your own answer now.

http://www.spin.com/articles/david-b...n=spinfacebook

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    "Guest artist" means performer. TR producing a track is much more likely... as likely as that is.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Having Bowie sing reptile on one of those NYC shows would have totaly hit the mark. I guess it is still possible for TR to appear on Bowie's new record in some kind of form. A classical collaboration is something I would have never thought of anyway. We will see!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Guitar question! Trent uses standard E tuning for most NIN songs. He has, however, used Drop D on several occasions, such as (if I'm not mistaken) half of With_Teeth. Some songs, like Sunspots and The Good Soldier, were in Drop C f(rom what I've seen on ultimate-guitar.com's findings). Has Trent used any other odd guitar tunings?
    They often discussed a "trick" on the Fragile of tuning all strings to the same pitch in different octaves and going from there.

"I’d say a good 80 percent of the guitar parts on the record were done with a Parker guitar," Reznor adds. "I used the piezo pickup on the Parker quite a bit. One of the tricks we’d use on this record was tuning all the guitar strings to the same pitch: two low octave, two middle and two high. Then I’d strum as fast as I could, playing a melody with one finger up and down the next. We’d run that through a [Yamaha] SPX 9000 with early reflection reverb on. You’re not hearing the strings, but you’re hearing the pitch and it has an infinite reverb type of sound, but it’s not sustaining like a room reverb."
    http://dannylohner.0catch.com/Articles/article11.html

Alan Moulder says that was probably how the guitars in "Please" were done:
    http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/ind....130/wap2.html

Enjoy!

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    which is the ultimate version of the perfect drug? I guess it's the one on the into the void single, is there another that does not cut but fades out?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    you're correct dlb, all 3 other versions (soundtrack/radio edit/video edit) have the abrupt ending

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    thanks! since I only have the soundtrack and the into the void single I was curious!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    What's Robin Finck been doing since 2009?

http://instagram.com/p/UaQX4cOb5B/

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    What's Robin Finck been doing since 2009?

http://instagram.com/p/UaQX4cOb5B/
    What exactly are you asking/saying?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    What exactly are you asking/saying?
    Has he done any music, performed anywhere? This picture of him and Lohner must be the first I see of him on the internet since NIN's "final" gig.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I believe he attended one of the AVOTT screenings (along with Alsessandro, Rob, and who else?) which included Q&A's.
    Also, there was pretty good fan site dedicated to Robin which tracked him pretty close over the years. Can't remember its title right now.

@jessamineny
    yes
    \/\/\/
    Last edited by fillow; 01-13-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Also, there was pretty good fan site dedicated to Robin which tracked him pretty close over the years. Can't remember its title right now.
    Is it this one?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    A tiny glimpse of Robin! I missed/miss him.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Wow, thanks. I'd never heard of any of this stuff before, I just assumed he went into exile and started painting or something.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Why does Robin look weird when he has "normal" hair?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what synths were used on "A Warm Place"?

It seems like all the ambient pad sounds I encounter have a very digital quality (which is fine for certain things I guess) and I just feel like no matter how long I search, I can't find anything with that very warm, almost acoustic sounding tone that's on this song. It's become like the holy grail of synth tones for me. Surely there's some NIN nerds that know what specific instruments were used?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Does anyone know what synths were used on "A Warm Place"?

It seems like all the ambient pad sounds I encounter have a very digital quality (which is fine for certain things I guess) and I just feel like no matter how long I search, I can't find anything with that very warm, almost acoustic sounding tone that's on this song. It's become like the holy grail of synth tones for me. Surely there's some NIN nerds that know what specific instruments were used?
    well, i can tell you that they're possibly analog synths, a collage of samples, or maybe not even keyboards. i've done lots of sound experimentation and gotten analog synth-esque sounds out of my guitar through enough effects.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    ^Right, I know that part of why it sounds the way it does is because of other factors unrelated to the type of synth used, like the fact that there are guitar textures layered in. Also I read on this gearslutz page (which is filled with a lot of great info from Charlie Clouser and others) that there's a lot of manipulated samples of things like Trent breathing through a saxophone mouthpiece.

But still, I'm dying to know what was used for the synth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So I did some more research and to answer my own question (if anyone else is curious), the date for the live videos of Eraser, Hurt, & Wish from disc two of Closure was February 13th 1995 and the show was in Omaha, NE. Its also the same show the live version of Gave Up that appears on AP's Industrial Strength compilation and also the live version of Hurt that appears on FDTS UK & Hurt US Promo was recorded. I'm not sure if an audience recording of the show exists. I haven't been able to find one. But what does exist is a sound board recording!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    If anyone has that Gave Up recording... it would be great.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingBacon View Post
    So I did some more research and to answer my own question (if anyone else is curious), the date for the live videos of Eraser, Hurt, & Wish from disc two of Closure was February 13th 1995 and the show was in Omaha, NE. Its also the same show the live version of Gave Up that appears on AP's Industrial Strength compilation and also the live version of Hurt that appears on FDTS UK & Hurt US Promo was recorded. I'm not sure if an audience recording of the show exists. I haven't been able to find one. But what does exist is a sound board recording!
    i remember reading somewhere (perhaps from one of those supposed 'i was there!' first-hand accounts that used to happen on ETS) that the music video footage was shot before the actual gig started proper. i never noticed that the rare "Gave Up" live track you mentioned was from the same show, though - i wonder if the footage of "Mr. Self Destruct" on the Closure DVD 'appendage' is from it too.

the live version of "Hurt" from FDTS/etc. is the same exact recording as is used in the music video — just wanted to make this clear for anyone wondering if you meant they recorded "Hurt" twice at the same show.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    i remember reading somewhere (perhaps from one of those supposed 'i was there!' first-hand accounts that used to happen on ETS) that the music video footage was shot before the actual gig started proper.
    Per the old unofficial NIN FAQ:

G:5 "Where was the video for "Hurt" recorded?"

The video for "Hurt" was recorded before the show in Omaha, Nebraska on February 13, 1995 and Dallas, Texas on February 11, 1995. Some concert-goers were let in a half hour or so sooner to be the audience. Apparently the reason for this is to keep the audience noise to a minimal level, especially considering that in concert "Happiness in Slavery" and "Eraser" are before "Hurt", and this makes for one wild/loud crowd. Why is he wet in the video? He probably doused himself with water.

Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    i wonder if the footage of "Mr. Self Destruct" on the Closure DVD 'appendage' is from it too.
    I always assumed that it was.
    Last edited by piggy; 01-17-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Can anyone tell me where exactly in the film Moonraker you can hear the elevator/industrial noise that trent used at the beginning of Reptile? Is it even from the film Moonraker?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Can anyone tell me where exactly in the film Moonraker you can hear the elevator/industrial noise that trent used at the beginning of Reptile? Is it even from the film Moonraker?
    no, it's from the film "leviathan"