Page 86 of 215 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 136 186 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 6448

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    That's JMJ on bass, TR & Robin on guitar.

I don't think there is any literal connection between YZ & The Slip; just re-use of a good design concept. The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust! has more in common with that world than with anything on The Slip, frankly. They were two parts of the same project (and both three-sided LPs, if you don't include the Tardust bonus tracks).
    Oh my god I forgot how incredible that is live.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anyone know where to find the song playing before Physical?

I know of the NIN vs 50 Cent remix, but this sounds a bit different from the versions I've heard. Or is it maybe just the live setting fooling me?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ... The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust! has more in common with that world than with anything on The Slip, frankly. They were two parts of the same project ...
    That's kinda frivolous way of presenting that album, IMHO. It wasn't riding YZ coattails at all, dare i say

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    That's kinda frivolous way of presenting that album, IMHO. It wasn't riding YZ coattails at all, dare i say
    I wouldn't say it was really riding YZ coattails but I will say they kind of struck while the iron was hot if that makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    will NIN's cover of Sex Dwarf ever be released? i've heard the guitar chord demo so many times, i really want to hear a full version of the song

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    No.
    Are you purposely choosing questions that no one can really answer?
    Last edited by fillow; 08-19-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    It's the same basic idea: an fictionalized account of political/social/racial relations in the USA imagined ten to fifteen years in the future #Ferguson

Like YZ, it's still relevant and incredibly forward-thinking, even halfway to the real future it envisioned.
    Last edited by botley; 08-19-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I disagree on the no, because I want to hear it. I would say "maybe" is better, if Interscope find out they have it they'll dump it on some rarities disc in a few years to cash in on something or other.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Since it's probably unfinished (or exists in a working demo mix only), TR would need to approve its release first.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Does anyone know or have another source of this video with the full audio?
    Yes that's Trent and ohgr playing with pigface while on tour.
    Does anyone have more info on this and when it took place?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    The video is from the Pigface - Glitch video, which you can buy on DVD (originally issued on VHS) here:

http://www.amazon.com/Pigface-Glitch.../dp/B001HMHLMK

The performance is from Apr 25, 1991, in Pittsburgh at the Metropol.

I picked up the DVD earlier this year and was going to splice the DVD footage together with the soundboard audio that's available (the audio track on the video is in mono), but it hasn't been a big priority.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    does anyone have any back story on the supposed "metal" demo that flooded napster before 'things falling apart' came out? is it legit? why did they release a minimalistic snooze fest when this version is so fucking good?
    Last edited by kel; 08-21-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is probably really obscure, but does anyone have a high quality rip/recording of the 3 songs from the 2008 Virgin Festival? They were streamed on MSN.com or something. The rips on youtube are in such terrible quality. It's my favorite live version of echoplex .

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    does anyone have any back story on the supposed "metal" demo that flooded napster before 'things falling apart' came out? is it legit? why did they release a minimalistic snooze fest when this version is so fucking good?
    Depends on what you mean by legit. There were three short clips of Metal that were leaked, legitimately. They were full of the kind of noise you get when you shake your laptop while ripping audio off a CD. Then some dude called Lee took those clips, wrote his own beat, threw in some samples from Broken, and released "Metal (Lee Completion Mix)" - more of a mash-up and a fan effort than an official mix, but because of the nature of file sharing in the late 90s, where apparently people couldn't distinguish between Boom Boom Satellites and Nine Inch Nails, or thought NIN legitimately covered the theme to the Legend of Zelda, this "Lee Completion Mix" was passed off as a legitimate leak. I never thought it was particularly good, myself.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Depends on what you mean by legit. There were three short clips of Metal that were leaked, legitimately. They were full of the kind of noise you get when you shake your laptop while ripping audio off a CD. Then some dude called Lee took those clips, wrote his own beat, threw in some samples from Broken, and released "Metal (Lee Completion Mix)" - more of a mash-up and a fan effort than an official mix, but because of the nature of file sharing in the late 90s, where apparently people couldn't distinguish between Boom Boom Satellites and Nine Inch Nails, or thought NIN legitimately covered the theme to the Legend of Zelda, this "Lee Completion Mix" was passed off as a legitimate leak. I never thought it was particularly good, myself.
    Didn't it blatantly sample the guitar from Pinion? That was a dead give away. I think I recall liking the beat, though.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    Didn't it blatantly sample the guitar from Pinion? That was a dead give away.
    You might be right, I don't really remember. I deleted it about 15 years ago, after listening through it once.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The modern internet is a great thing :P

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Metal+Le...ix/oWJGA?src=5

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    The modern internet is a great thing :P

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Metal+Le...ix/oWJGA?src=5
    that's the most annoying tgifriday's commercial i've ever heard.

thanks, @Leviathant . i remember the zelda thing and getting booted for downloading dr. dre.

i still like it, but now it's hard not to hear parts of "pinion" ...
    Last edited by kel; 08-28-2014 at 01:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone know why the Jimmy Kimmel Live performances aren't available to watch on the JKLMusic youtube page anymore?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akahige View Post
    Anyone know why the Jimmy Kimmel Live performances aren't available to watch on the JKLMusic youtube page anymore?
    They age them out after about 3 months or so.

You can download them on ninlive though:

http://www.ninlive.com/shows/2013/20131107.html

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    so, um, the mixes on the fragile vinyl are different than the cd, right? not just mastering but, different mixes? I swear I'm hearing different things beyond the scope of the vinyl. I mean, some songs have different outros/intros and different extensions, so clearly there was something different going on to some extent...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Has there ever been a time since 2005 and now that The Hand That Feeds hasn't been played live?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    so, um, the mixes on the fragile vinyl are different than the cd, right? not just mastering but, different mixes? I swear I'm hearing different things beyond the scope of the vinyl. I mean, some songs have different outros/intros and different extensions, so clearly there was something different going on to some extent...
    http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Fragile_%28halo%29

Differences To The CD Version

Many of the tracks on the vinyl release differ from their CD equivalent:

• "The Day the World Went Away" has a longer guitar intro
    • "The Wretched" has an extended outro
    • "Even Deeper" features an elongated middle section
    • "La Mer" has a longer intro and an extended ending with more speech samples
    • "Pilgrimage" does not fade in, but rather begins building without any volume adjusting
    • "The Mark Has Been Made" does not feature the introduction of "10 Miles High" fading in at the end (the hidden bit of music in the pre-gap of "Please" on the CD version)
    • "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" begins with the full strings sample
    • "Ripe" does not include the "With Decay" ending section, but rather fades out as the slinking guitars play the main riff
    • "The Wretched," "We're in This Together," "Even Deeper," "Pilgrimage," "The Mark Has Been Made," "10 Miles High," "The New Flesh" and "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" all do not crossfade as on the CD version, because these songs either end or begin their respective sides

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Has there ever been a time since 2005 and now that The Hand That Feeds hasn't been played live?
    It looks like there has. At the moment, NINtourhistory shows 499 shows played since 2005 (not counting unabridged dates) and 485 plays for THTF.
    Last edited by piggy; 08-29-2014 at 12:49 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Fragile_%28halo%29

Differences To The CD Version

Many of the tracks on the vinyl release differ from their CD equivalent:

• "The Day the World Went Away" has a longer guitar intro
    • "The Wretched" has an extended outro
    • "Even Deeper" features an elongated middle section
    • "La Mer" has a longer intro and an extended ending with more speech samples
    • "Pilgrimage" does not fade in, but rather begins building without any volume adjusting
    • "The Mark Has Been Made" does not feature the introduction of "10 Miles High" fading in at the end (the hidden bit of music in the pre-gap of "Please" on the CD version)
    • "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" begins with the full strings sample
    • "Ripe" does not include the "With Decay" ending section, but rather fades out as the slinking guitars play the main riff
    • "The Wretched," "We're in This Together," "Even Deeper," "Pilgrimage," "The Mark Has Been Made," "10 Miles High," "The New Flesh" and "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" all do not crossfade as on the CD version, because these songs either end or begin their respective sides
    thanks, I saw that before; it just also sounds to me like the mixes are occasionally slightly different. for example, the mix on "underneath it all" has the bass drum way way more prominent than I had heard it before.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    that may be the different master, rather than the actual mix. i find bass much more responsive on vinyl in general (unless the pressing is crap).

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    That's because they goose the 100–200 Hz range in pressing to make up for the fact that 20–60Hz is almost completely gone.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Has anyone ranked songs not only by how often they've been played but also how many times they could have been played?

According to NIN Tour History, the rarest songs I've heard in person are In Two and 1 Ghosts I — both have been played just 12 times. If HLAH is 0% rare and has been played 881 times,* those two songs would be an impressive 99% rare by that measure.†

But when you factor in the "could have" it's a different story. There have been 265 shows since 1 Ghosts became a thing (making it a still impressive 95% rare) whereas In Two was only a candidate for 123 of them‡ (90% rare).

Meanwhile, Metal might seem a lot more common because it's been played 38 times out of 201 shows starting with NIN|JA (81% rare). But in theory it could have been played any time since 1999 — or 2005 if you wanna argue that it wasn't "available" for Fragility because TFA hadn't been released yet (93% rare either way).

(HLAH is apparently 7% rare. Have they really skipped it that often?)

* NIN Tour History says 879 at the moment, but it hasn't been updated for the last two NIN+SG shows yet.
    † 1 – (12/881) = 99%
    ‡ I believe In Two could have been done any time in 2013–14 if they really wanted to, so I'm counting all of those shows.

Footnotes? Math? Yes, I'm a nerd.
    Last edited by Joy Prevention Hotline; 08-31-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    @Joy Prevention Hotline I'd take the "could have been played" from original writing or recording instead of release, making Metal possible since Fragility 1.0 as the Numan cover album it should've been on would have come out in like 96.

And this makes Maybe Just Once's number so, so small