Page 72 of 216 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 122 172 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 6457

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    So I googled "The worst that seems to happen here is ambivalence/silence" and would you believe Google returned the original source as the first result? C'mon lazyweb
    I was posting from my phone and couldn't be bothered opening another window and manually type it all in.

/first world problem

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Gave Up live - is the 'smashed up my sanity' bit sang live? Incredibly impressive if that's the case.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    Gave Up live - is the 'smashed up my sanity' bit sang live? Incredibly impressive if that's the case.
    Yes - usually by the backup singers only.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    to me it always sounds like it's sang live but also passed through vocoder.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    to me it always sounds like it's sang live but also passed through vocoder.
    That's just what Robin's "gremlin voice" sounds like.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    they may have changed it for more recent tours but historically the chorus of "Gave Up" has been a backing track with backup vocalists doing whatever on top.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Has anyone ever spotted how the guitar at the end of this sounds an awful lot like the piano riff from "Closer"?

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    That's just what Robin's "gremlin voice" sounds like.
    Yesssssss! I've noticed that Robin's creepy screamy voice is pretty fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    In an interview that sounds like it's from that general time period, Trent disused the idea of homosexuality along the lines of "I think I'd be good at it. I mean, I would know what feels good. But no, I'm not gay."
    I don't think Trent was ever homosex. The sin video is art. Brian was a crazy drugged up kid.
    I have often wondered if Sin wasn't ABOUT being a gay (or bisexual) man. The lyrics fit if you look at it that way (the chorus anyway...)
    I often wondered if trent dabbled back in the day and wrote a semi-evil song about it, (a la coil and their use of their sexuality as a purposeful affront to a god they denied.)

Sigh. I feel like i lost a friend, eversonpoe, from my original post on this (where i wrote "on a scale of 1 to homo.)

I want everyone to know that i am NOT homophobic and i have NO problem with gay folk.
    I was unsure about my own sexuality for the longest time.

If my post hurt or offended anyone else, PLEASE forgive me!

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I have often wondered if Sin wasn't ABOUT being a gay (or bisexual) man. The lyrics fit if you look at it that way (the chorus anyway...)
    I often wondered if trent dabbled back in the day and wrote a semi-evil song about it, (a la coil and their use of their sexuality as a purposeful affront to a god they denied.)
    Have you seen the music video?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I wish a few of modern nin songs were at least 1% as powerful as Sin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I wonder what TR's share of Beats Music is, cause with Apple buying Beats for $3 Billion, I'm guessing TR is going to make some millions from the deal.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I remember reading somewhere that some Broken CDs have 30 tracks instead of usual 99
    tracks 7 through 28 are silent, track 29 Physical, track 30 Suck.
    anybody knows which edition matches this description?

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Have you seen the music video?
    Oh yeah, i've seen it many, many times (from watching closure so much.)
    But the content of the video doesn't necessarily dictate the meaning of the song, right?
    When i talked about this before, i was referencing the video and asking about trent's sexuality during that time period.

I, for one, don't believe him when he claims to have never participated in sex with men, but that's just me.
    Personally, i REALLY think that's what Sin is about. I'm asking the opinion of other members here.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    I wish a few of modern nin songs were at least 1% as powerful as Sin
    I clicked "like" on this, but then i thought about it.

ONE PERCENT? That's a bit much.

I love ALL of NIN's material. What do you mean by "modern," and what exactly do you mean by "powerful?"

I mean. Love is Not Enough, for instance, is fucking INSANELY "powerful," as far as pure rock and roll intensity, as is 1,000,000.

Right Where it Belongs and While I'm Still Here and In This Twilight are DEEPLY emotionally powerful. And how about the emotional depth of Zero Sum?

I must admit, tracks like Sin have a power that is hard to reproduce, but sometimes i feel that it had something to do with my age at the time (i got into NIN at 12 when i saw Wish on headbanger's ball.)

But i'm damn sure not part of the "i wish Trent would start taking drugs and become suicidal again" camp.

I'm rambling.

Ok, i'm going to second the question about the sale of Beats. I wonder how much T-Rez got out of it?
    I was grinning from ear to ear when i read this news. I hope to God that his share is in the hundreds of millions... he has enhanced my life SO MUCH for SO LONG. He deserves it!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I, for one, don't believe him when he claims to have never participated in sex with men, but that's just me
    protip: you don't get to decide the sexuality of others.
    And even if he was banging ten different dudes a night until he met Mariqueen, I really, really, really feel that's no one's business except his.

And this is ending up as bad as the God thread.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    protip: you don't get to decide the sexuality of others.
    And even if he was banging ten different dudes a night until he met Mariqueen, I really, really, really feel that's no one's business except his.

And this is ending up as bad as the God thread.
    But @sheepdean , i'm not trying to "decide" his sexuality, and ESPECIALly not to point at him and laugh.

I am just trying to figure out if the song means what i think it means! That's all.
    And man, i'm DAMN sure not trying to upset anyone...this very question is why eversonpoe didn't talk to me for awhile.

I'm a complete and utter NIN fanboy. i want to know what ALL the songs are about!

Edit: I, personally, have participated in ALL KINDS of sex with women, and men too when i was younger. I am not at all overly sensitive about it. I understand maxwell's offense at the wording of my original question, but as far as the hypersensitivity towards me mentioning sexual orientation At ALL, it kind of baffles me.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-29-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    You will never know if any songs mean anything tbh, that kinda thing is rare for any artist to discuss, and fan speculation is 90% of the time bullshit. Unless TR wanders into the thread and tells us what it's about (and let's be honest, it was 25 years ago, he might not be too sure himself either), this should go into a new thread called "what are nin songs about", which will rapidly become the thread with the most facepalms.
    And even if it's about sex with dudes, that doesn't even mean he's had sex with dudes. And saying you don't believe someone about what their stated sexuality or sexual history is, is kinda .. a no-no, that's policing sexualities.

Also, Sin is clearly about losing your virginity and then getting dumped.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I clicked "like" on this, but then i thought about it.

ONE PERCENT? That's a bit much.
    If Trent can sing MILLION MILES AWAY why can't we on ETS use smaller hyperboles such as 1%
    It's subjective and i understand to somebody else Sin may not always sound fresh and immediate but to me it was and remains special 12 years ago and today equally, be it on album or on bootlegs.

And in regards to share in Beats sales... oh i'm afraid to even start thinking of SUCH SHITLOADS of money. If he really gets this rich i'll be sad because his family can then relax and not work anymore for generations to come. Yeah, i am too not part of the "i wish Trent would start taking drugs and become suicidal again" camp.

This is a topic for another thread, though, sorry for a random outburst

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Why do you think TR would stop working if he made a windfall from the Beats sale? He's not an office worker; he's an artist -- an artist who has lost/almost lost money on tours because the quality of what he presented to people was just that important to him.

Also, "Trent" and "relax" just don't go together, from what I can tell.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm not saying he would stop. But there are people around him, who may lose mind within a grasp of MILLIONS. Remember John Malm? First "kicking ass beyond the call of duty", later lawsuit and whatever...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think Trent's become enough of a shrewd businessman to weed out people like that that may still be around him.

Plus, Malm took advantage of him practically from the beginning, when Trent had no idea what he was doing. That was 25 years ago, it wouldn't be the same situation at all.

This thread gets really weird sometimes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Was it public knowledge what sort of ownership, if any, Trent had in Beats?

Also curious what his and Rob's role will be in Beats Music in the future. I don't really care much about the product personally, but it'd be unfortunate if they can't continue in the same capacity after putting work into getting it started (assuming that was even something they wanted to do). Or if they shut it down, that'd be annoying, too, I guess.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    And even if it's about sex with dudes, that doesn't even mean he's had sex with dudes. And saying you don't believe someone about what their stated sexuality or sexual history is, is kinda .. a no-no, that's policing sexualities.
    Ok, touche.
    But to me it will always be about homosexuality as a way to terrify the masses.
    And of course, mocking christianity.

Also, That's What I Get is clearly about losing my virginity to my highschool sweethe...errr...i mean losing your virginity... and then getting dumped.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Also, That's What I Get is clearly about losing my virginity to my highschool sweethe...errr...i mean losing your virginity... and then getting dumped.
    I will agree with you on that one sir

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Were the censored versions of The Downward Spiral only sold in Walmart?

I was also ordering some Nine Inch Nails CDs as a present, but when I received The Downward Spiral, there was actually no "Parental Advisory Explicit Lyrics" sticker on it. For those of you that actually saw it, or even have it, does the censored version also have a sticker saying that it's edited?

However, when I checked the URL I clicked on Amazon.com, it still said Explicit Lyrics.

http://www.amazon.com/Downward-Spira...t_mus_dp_dpt_4

Anyway, I was just wondering what the censored copy looked like, unless it really didn't have that much of a difference on the album cover. This is also the first time that I saw TDS without the sticker.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a censored version of any NIN album. The TDS you got without the warning was probably the result of a manufacturing defect.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a censored version of any NIN album. The TDS you got without the warning was probably the result of a manufacturing defect.
    http://www.theninhotline.net/news/permalink/1076079970

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Anybody know Trent's reasons for recording Broken, The Fragile and With Teeth in New Orleans?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeegrizzle View Post
    Anybody know Trent's reasons for recording Broken, The Fragile and With Teeth in New Orleans?
    That's where his studio was. To get away from LA.