Page 3 of 215 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    The notion of different realities bleeding into one another as a concept was a lot more interesting than what he scrapped it for, i.e. talking about sobering up.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'd love to see Bleedthrough as a concept realised. Perhaps for a With Teeth 25th anniversary or something cool, do a recording or release, depending how far it went.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The notion of different realities bleeding into one another as a concept was a lot more interesting than what he scrapped it for, i.e. talking about sobering up.
    But the concept is obviously still there. Most of WT brings up the theme of parallel realities bleeding through. In fact, most of last season's fringe episodes felt like sister projects to With Teeth/Bleedthrough. I simply prefer the title Bleedthrough together with Rob's original concept art.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^^
    what was the original artwork?

vvvv
    I like that, resembles a heart
    Last edited by WorzelG; 04-16-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    ^^^^
    what was the original artwork?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    That site explains exactly how they came together: NIN and Oasis were at the same studio doing overdubs.
    and Dave Sardy seems to be the direct connection point. thanks for that article, haven't seen that one!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    But the concept is obviously still there. Most of WT brings up the theme of parallel realities bleeding through. In fact, most of last season's fringe episodes felt like sister projects to With Teeth/Bleedthrough. I simply prefer the title Bleedthrough together with Rob's original concept art.
    ^ this.

I'm afraid that bleedthrough and with_teeth are pretty much the same. Even the artworks bear a lot of similarities and as already mentionend alot of lyrical themes have something to do with layers bleeding into another etc.. The artwork is dope though and I wish there was much higher resolution available somewhere. It'd be still interesting to hear some leftovers/reworks from that era. While not as complex as the fragile that album is still one of my favorites. Pretty much my first choice when I want to give myself a quick fix of NIN.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I just relistened to all* the remixes. I'm not the biggest fan of remixes, but some of them are great, some are boring, some are just plain weird.

My question : How is the Me I'm Not remix a remix of Me I'm Not? What is the purpose of this particular remix? What is going on? Why? 14 minutes!! Plus one second! I could have sneezed, slowed it down, and shouted "HEY" and it couldn't have been worst.

I'm insulted when I see someone say "Right Where It Belongs version 2" in the "worst NIN song" thread, but it's someone else's opinion. Am I insulting someone by saying the the Me I'm Not remix is the worst?

* officially released one way or another

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Am I insulting someone by saying the the Me I'm Not remix is the worst?
    Probably just Olof Dreijer. But in all fairness, The Knife is awesome. Which would then leave us with Porter Ricks....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    ^ this.

I'm afraid that bleedthrough and with_teeth are pretty much the same. Even the artworks bear a lot of similarities and as already mentionend alot of lyrical themes have something to do with layers bleeding into another etc.. The artwork is dope though and I wish there was much higher resolution available somewhere. It'd be still interesting to hear some leftovers/reworks from that era. While not as complex as the fragile that album is still one of my favorites. Pretty much my first choice when I want to give myself a quick fix of NIN.
    In a way, Bleedthrough becomes the ultimate concept album it never claims to be, let alone exist. As With Teeth deviated from the original vision of Bleedthrough - Bleedthrough "bleeds through" With Teeth.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I'm insulted when I see someone say "Right Where It Belongs version 2" in the "worst NIN song" thread
    didn't mean any harm, but yeah Trent seems to be pretty fond of Drejiers remix too. At least I remember him telling someone to shut up on the old board who was complaining about it.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    One is just a metaphor for the other. If you don't like With Teeth you wouldn't have liked Bleedthrough. There wasn't a whole bunch of completely different songs lying around that were shitcanned, TR just dropped the connective tissue between songs.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Porter Ricks remix is million times better than Olof Drejer's. Just my 2c.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    One is just a metaphor for the other. If you don't like With Teeth you wouldn't have liked Bleedthrough. There wasn't a whole bunch of completely different songs lying around that were shitcanned, TR just dropped the connective tissue between songs.
    That's exactly how I feel. TR didn't start with one concept and then totally trash all the work he'd done around it, the 'Bleedthrough' concept just morphed into the 'With Teeth' concept and things were rejigged to fit the new vision. I highly doubt that there is much left that we haven't already seen aside from random riffs, loops etc that were never used on the album. This idea that 'Bleedthrough' was an entirely seperate thing to 'With Teeth' and was abandoned leaving unpublished work has no evidence to back it up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I absolutely love the Porter Ricks remix, one of my favorite Fragile-era remixes for sure.

edit: ahh facepalming awesome music, gotta love ets
    Last edited by The Reason Being; 04-17-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    ^ this.

I'm afraid that bleedthrough and with_teeth are pretty much the same. Even the artworks bear a lot of similarities and as already mentionend alot of lyrical themes have something to do with layers bleeding into another etc.. The artwork is dope though and I wish there was much higher resolution available somewhere.
    There is! Rob posted a huge ass version of it a few years back. Should be on ninwiki.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Yeah Leviathant just send me a nice version via PM. Never noticed that Rob updated his portfolio with higher resolution scans of his artwork a while ago.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    I absolutely love the Porter Ricks remix, one of my favorite Fragile-era remixes for sure.

edit: ahh facepalming awesome music, gotta love ets
    you're literally the only person in the last 8 years on ETS i've seen post that they enjoy it. one person in 8 years of mostly daily visiting this NIN forum. i do actually respect your opinion, it just makes me facepalm

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Is this the largest copy of this band shot that exists on the web?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Sick Among The Pure -- According to Tineye, yes, that's the largest.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    If you want to be really pedantic, this is about 10 pixels bigger http://www.sentireascoltare.com/sa/u...s/nineinch.jpg

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    to those who knew nin in 1995: did Piggy receive a good amount of airplay?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    If you want to be really pedantic, this is about 10 pixels bigger http://www.sentireascoltare.com/sa/u...s/nineinch.jpg
    But since the text looks a touch fuzzy, it was prob resized.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    it only hit #20 on the Billboard Alt Songs charts - Discipline, for example, hit #6.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    I was in the Bay Area & Seattle then (college & home,) and I don't remember any of the stations - KITS, KOME, or KNDD - playing "Piggy" really at all. I, however, was playing TDS a lot so maybe they did and my memory's just fuzzy..... I mean it was during my college days so........

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Random NIN Question :

NIN have 8 albums? or 7 albums and one EP? or 11 albums and 2 EPs?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ^ The way I see it, 7 albums & 1 EP / 3 remix albums & 1 remix EP.

Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    you're literally the only person in the last 8 years on ETS i've seen post that they enjoy it. one person in 8 years of mostly daily visiting this NIN forum. i do actually respect your opinion, it just makes me facepalm
    haha, no worries, see its weird for me as i've never seen anyone talk about it on here, and just going by the comments on the youtube video for it I always just figured it was liked by most, nothing but love on there! Then again, I can dig the Me, I'm Not remix too..
    Last edited by The Reason Being; 04-30-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Random NIN Question :

NIN have 8 albums? or 7 albums and one EP? or 11 albums and 2 EPs?
    As you're asking a pedantic question, allow me to get pedantic:
    An album and an EP are not technically mutually exclusive - LP and EP are, but an album is simply a compilation of individual tracks. The British record industry definition of an EP (which is the only one that exists) classifies it at 25 minutes or 4 tracks, both of which Broken easily surpasses. For that reason, Broken is surely an album, albeit a rather short one.

On top of this, NIN has 3 live albums (two of which aren't available as audio-only, but that shouldn't exclude them), and several remix albums/EPs (although no NIN release, bar maxi-singles, actually meets the industry definition of an EP, it is common to refer to a remix album as an EP, due to them normally being shorter than the standard release, and not meant to be a standalone work). I would say the best way to define NIN's catalogue is: 8 studio albums, 4 remix albums and 3 live albums.

Of course, if you consider Ghosts to be 4 standalone works, then they're all potential EP candidates...

But really, it's silly to refer to Broken as an EP - even if you feel it's short enough, it's clearly an album, by every definition of the term.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ^ I agree with most of that but I do think Trent designed Broken to be seen as an EP from the get-go. Doesn't the back of Fixed specifically refer to it as that?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    As official as possible definitions are given in Body of work (extra feature on Beside you in time DVD)
    5 EPs = Broken, Fixed, Further down the spiral, The perfect drug versions, Every day is exactly the same
    they don't list live releases other than Double VHS for Closure or DVD/VHS for AATCHB
    assuming Year Zero, YR ZR RMXD, Ghosts and The slip are all LPs - there's 10 in total (including TFA yeah right)