Page 196 of 215 FirstFirst ... 96 146 186 194 195 196 197 198 206 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,880 of 6448

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i have the 2016 MOV pressing and it sounds absolutely fantastic. plus it seems readily available (i would go with a discogs seller rather than amazon, though).
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/9327516?ev=rb
    https://smile.amazon.com/Lost-Highwa.../dp/B01LTHLYAC
    I'm leaning towards it purely for the packaging. The Nothing version seems very vanilla in comparison...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is Trent Reznor's twitter avatar: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...o1_400x400.jpg

If I remember correctly he had a bigger version of this (showing more characters) for another service (maybe spotify). But now I can't find it. Am I right and can anyone here provide a link? That would be awesome.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwarzerAbt View Post
    This is Trent Reznor's twitter avatar: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...o1_400x400.jpg

If I remember correctly he had a bigger version of this (showing more characters) for another service (maybe spotify). But now I can't find it. Am I right and can anyone here provide a link? That would be awesome.
    it's a screencap from Robotron 2084 so i would say just search for some images from the game. it's possible it's a slightly manipulated image, too. with the black background it's pretty easy to re-arrange character positions.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Anyone know anything about this TVT sampler?

https://www.discogs.com/Various-TVT-...elease/9407932

I realized that it was released months before PHM was actually released. Though "Down In It" is likely the album version, the listed runtime on HLAH does not correspond to any known version and raises the tantalizing possibility that this could be an early unknown version.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post

I realized that it was released months before PHM was actually released. Though Down In It is likely the album version, the listed runtime on HLAH does not correspond to any known version and raises the tantalizing possibility that this could be an early unknown version.
    Could it be "You Know Who You Are"? The times match up, at least according to NINwiki.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Could it be "You Know Who You Are"? The times match up, at least according to NINwiki.
    I considered it, but I don't think so. Even the earliest HLAH mix (LeBlanc's Slate) is from July 1989, too early to make this sampler. And all the Flood mixes (of which You Know Who You Are is one) that we know the dates on are from 1990. Also, including a dub mix on a showcase sampler? That would have been too weird.

Also, I just noticed this, but John Fryer is credited on the mix for HLAH on this sampler. As far as I'm aware, no version of HLAH from John Fryer has ever surfaced. There was only LeBlanc on the album version and Slate version, and Flood on all the other versions.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

More interesting is being credited to "The Nine Inch Nails".

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    There are 7 Discogs members that own this cassette. Surely, one of them must also be on ETS.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    More interesting is being credited to "The Nine Inch Nails".
    Lynch coming in with the deepest cut of them all. We laughed, but he was the one pulling the strings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    does anyone know the creator of It All Fades aka Dahak? I want to listen to some more of his music because its really amazing stuff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Does anyone have a link to or the actual interview from the 90s where Trent says "I don't want to be 40 years old and on tour?" I've only seen the gif, but I would love to watch the actual interview.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Well, look at this. I was reading through The Making of Pretty Hate Machine & The Downward Spiral, and there is the Boulder transition to Peter Murphy right there.
    I didn't want to hijack the HiH thread, but I'm curious about this book. I remember seeing it back in the day, but I don't think I ever read it. How detailed is the making of PHM section? I'm curious about the timeline of the completed "Purest Feeling" demos, actually getting signed by TVT, and details from that point to the release of PHM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    Does anyone have a link to or the actual interview from the 90s where Trent says "I don't want to be 40 years old and on tour?" I've only seen the gif, but I would love to watch the actual interview.
    Not the exact quote, but he has similar view in this woodstock interview (at about 4:34):

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    I didn't want to hijack the HiH thread, but I'm curious about this book. I remember seeing it back in the day, but I don't think I ever read it. How detailed is the making of PHM section? I'm curious about the timeline of the completed "Purest Feeling" demos, actually getting signed by TVT, and details from that point to the release of PHM.
    Not very, tbh. Most of the book narrative is sourced from magazine articles and interviews. I don't think there's any real original research in here. There also does seem to be a bit of creative "hole-filling" and interpolation by the writer sometimes, so I take what I read in there with a grain of salt.

But it can be handy to have around sometimes. I've picked it up for reference maybe once or twice per year since getting it a few years ago. I paid $8 shipped for mine on eBay.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I'm sure we've been over this before, but I caught a bunch of Ghosts songs on a long YouTube video, and so, I wondered again:

What exactly does the Creative Commons thing, or whatever it's called exactly, mean?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm sure we've been over this before, but I caught a bunch of Ghosts songs on a long YouTube video, and so, I wondered again:

What exactly does the Creative Commons thing, or whatever it's called exactly, mean?
    The specific license on Ghosts I-IV (and The Slip), Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial Share Alike/CC BY-NC-SA, roughly means:
    1. Creative Commons: the name of group that defines these licenses. (Not all CC licenses are the same, thus the unwieldy long name on this one.)
    2. Attribution: When sharing, you have to credit the original creator. You also have to specify if this is 100% their work, or if you've made changes.
    3. Noncommercial: You (the audience) can't sell it, or generally use it to sell something/earn money/etc. Don't just slap it in a car commercial or whatever.
    4. Share-alike: You can spin off of this work in any way you choose, but when sharing that, you need to communicate that whatever you make - remixes, scoring videos, whatever - is licensed under all these exact same conditions.

A CC license isn't something you buy - it just exists the moment you attribute something like "released under CC BY-NC-SA" to your own work. Really what it does it promises that the creator won't restrict you from doing anything under these terms, although they retain the freedom to negotiate use outside of those conditions. This is why, say, Lil Nas X's management had to negotiate with TR's regarding Old Town Road: under this license, he's not automatically permitted to sample Ghosts in a song he's selling and/or distributing under a different license.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    What's the 'shitty industrial band' that Danny Lohner is talking about at the end of the RRHOF group chat? He mentions Houston, Texas and NIN soundchecking with Wish before it was released. Looks like NIN played Houston twice in 1991, in January with Die Warzau supporting and in July with Body Count and the Butthole Surfers?!?!?! Process of elimination would leave Die Warzau. Bit harsh calling them shitty.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My guess would be Skrew.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    What's the 'shitty industrial band' that Danny Lohner is talking about at the end of the RRHOF group chat? He mentions Houston, Texas and NIN soundchecking with Wish before it was released. Looks like NIN played Houston twice in 1991, in January with Die Warzau supporting and in July with Body Count and the Butthole Surfers?!?!?! Process of elimination would leave Die Warzau. Bit harsh calling them shitty.
    It's definitely July 13 date (one of three warm up gigs before Lollapalloza). We don't know for sure who was the opener (if there was one), and it wasn't Butthole Surfers for sure because they played on the next day.

https://happinessinheresy.com/nine-i...-july-13-1991/ <- some newspaper ads about the upcoming gig here, but no reviews, sadly

Did ya all know APC existed way back in 1991? LOL

Last edited by fillow; 11-09-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    It's definitely July 13 date (one of three warm up gigs before Lollapalloza). We don't know for sure who was the opener (if there was one), and it wasn't Butthole Surfers for sure because they played on the next day.
    I'm a-thinkin' that the person posting didn't quite catch that Danny said it was a shitty industrial band he was playing in... and since we know who that was, well, seems to be the answer. No need to really dig much deeper than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At the time of the creation/release of Ghosts, wasn't there a picture of/with Adrian Belew on nin.com? Can't seem to find it. If anyone could show it to me, that would be appreciated.

EDIT: found it on ninwiki: https://www.nin.wiki/Nin.com/December_2007

Bonus points for who can identify the guys hanging around in the background of this image?

Last edited by Beta; 11-12-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    Bonus points for who can identify the guys hanging around in the background of this image?
    Pretty sure that's Brian Viglione on the couch behind the laptop, the other guy sitting with him is (I believe) Brett Bachemin, and the dude writing on the notepad is Dustin Mosley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone know what the sample at 0:35 of Head Like A Hole (Opal) is from?

I ask this because I heard it in an early Mark Stewart song once (1:11)

First thought was Adrian Sherwood repeating himself again, but he didn't seem to be involved in that Stewart track or the Opal mix of HLaH
    Last edited by ncrecc; 11-20-2020 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncrecc View Post
    First thought was Adrian Sherwood repeating himself again, but he didn't seem to be involved in that Stewart track or the Opal mix of HLaH
    Well.... there's this:

"Originally released as part of the MYTHS: INSTRUCTIONS 1 compilation on Sub Rosa 1984

An outtake from the disparate sessions that produced the debut solo album by former Pop Group frontman Mark
    Stewart, Learning To Cope With Cowardice, this track has appeared in various different forms and lengths over
    the years. The version presented here is a nine minute epic (an even longer twelve minute version also exists,
    but sadly in somewhat reduced fidelity) that first appeared on a 1984 compilation album that instigated the
    long running Belgian avant-garde label Sub Rosa, alongside the distinguished company of William S. Burroughs,
    Camberwell Now (ex-This Heat) and members of Eyeless In Gaza. A dizzying amalgamation of cut-up record
    fragments, turntablism, newsreel excerpts, industrial noise, Stewart's highly distinctive vocals, and a
    distorted proto-electro beat; the overall effect sounds something like the Wild Style soundtrack had the
    action been transported from downtown Bronx to Throbbing Gristle's Death Factory studio. On the sleeve of the
    original compilation it appeared on, the track was described as being about "the occult technology of power".

Stewart continues to innovate, intimidate and inspire; and in 2015 The Pop Group, reformed and re-energized,
    have issued the acclaimed Citizen Zombie album."

A blerb from Trevor Jackson Presents: Science Fiction Dancehall Classics (Bleep link; this is the compilation that sent me a years long journey through On-U Sound history...) which is an On-U Sound compilation... and On-U Sound is Adrian Sherwood's label.......
    Last edited by MrLobster; 11-20-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    So a few posts this week about Tapeworm/Saul Williams stuff in the Controversial Opinions thread led me to something that I'm confused about. TR once said that the drums from "Convict Colony" are from a Tapeworm track, but we later learned that they were performed by Dave Grohl. I see no mention of Dave Grohl having been a part of the whole Tapeworm stuff, and I know TR didn't even contact Dave at all until the With Teeth sessions. So from this, should we conclude that those drums are from a WT outtake and that TR was probably mixed up when he said it was from a Tapeworm track?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    So from this, should we conclude that those drums are from a WT outtake and that TR was probably mixed up when he said it was from a Tapeworm track?
    That's possible. He mentions in his quote that he thinks it was a Tapeworm track, but he doesn't definitively say that it was. Considering that the instrumental for "Skin Of A Drum" was formed out of a Fragile outtake, it's possible that Trent gave Saul a mix of tracks from different projects.

Also, it should be noted that not every track on NiggyTardust was formed out of Trent outtakes. Some of the tracks were ones that Saul already had and that were later tweaked by Trent & Atticus, and some were Frankenstein creations made out of different pieces from different people.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 11-26-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    That's possible. He mentions in his quote that he thinks it was a Tapeworm track, but he doesn't definitively say that it was. Considering that the instrumental for "Skin Of A Drum" was formed out of a Fragile outtake, it's possible that Trent gave Saul a mix of tracks from different projects.
    Good point. I made a couple of tweaks to the info on the wiki.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    1. What's this about Dave Grohl on Convict Colony? When did we learn this?
    2. It was always known that TR gave Saul a disc with Tapeworm and Fragile outtakes.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    1. What's this about Dave Grohl on Convict Colony? When did we learn this?
    It was a few years ago, but I only just now took notice of it.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BbC9uqPlOw8/

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Okay. I'm not 100% convinced though. We have multiple accounts with more or less similar trustworthiness. Could CX mix up Dave with Josh Freese in his recollection?