Page 172 of 179 FirstFirst ... 72 122 162 170 171 172 173 174 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,160 of 5353

Thread: Random NIN Questions

  1. #5131
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,535
    Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Randomly looking at this thread reminds me I need to buy Add Violence and Not The Actual Events vinyl copies off the store.
    you sure do! they sound great! are they still doing AV slipmats?

  2. #5132
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    8,493
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    you sure do! they sound great! are they still doing AV slipmats?
    Someone recently posted it in the Vinyl thread and they had it in the photo so I would assume so.

    They do still have it.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 01-17-2018 at 11:13 PM.

  3. #5133
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,422
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I didn't need the slipmat, so I just bought them in a record store. And yes, they do sound great!

  4. #5134
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    1,810
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Oh jeez, as if there were a way it could somehow look even worse on HD displays! Even an HD format up-resolution conversion from the master video file probably would look better than the DVD does; the MPEG encoding on that puppy has visible blocking compression freakouts just from trying to handle those strobe effects. Possibly something to look into if they ever reissue it on streaming services or Blu-ray (though that's probably unlikely).
    dumb question that I could probably answer myself with a little more research, but. why does it stretch to two DVDs? how come BYIT appears to look better, have a longer playlist and fit on one?

  5. #5135
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,422
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    dumb question that I could probably answer myself with a little more research, but. why does it stretch to two DVDs? how come BYIT appears to look better, have a longer playlist and fit on one?
    Simplest, shortest answer: improved video compression technology.

    They filmed, edited, and even authored the And All That Could Have Been DVDs entirely by themselves on 2000-2001 'prosumer' level gear. Beside You in Time was an all-professional HD production workflow, including a dedicated encoding engineer, after several generations of improvements to the tools of that trade.
    Last edited by botley; 01-19-2018 at 04:59 PM.

  6. #5136
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,535
    Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    dumb question that I could probably answer myself with a little more research, but. why does it stretch to two DVDs? how come BYIT appears to look better, have a longer playlist and fit on one?
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Simplest, shortest answer: improved video compression technology.

    They filmed, edited, and even authored the And All That Could Have Been DVDs entirely by themselves on 2000-2001 'prosumer' level gear. Beside You in Time was an all-professional HD production workflow, including a dedicated encoding engineer, after several generations of improvements to the tools of that trade.
    also, are the AATCHB DVDs even dual-layer? or are they single layer?

  7. #5137
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,314
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    also, are the AATCHB DVDs even dual-layer? or are they single layer?
    They are all DVD9's (single-sided / dual layer).


    DTS:
    Disc 1 = 5.71 GB
    Disc 2 = 5.96 GB


    DOLBY:
    Disc 1 = 4.93 GB
    Disc 2 = 5.87 GB

  8. #5138
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,296
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    dumb question that I could probably answer myself with a little more research, but. why does it stretch to two DVDs? how come BYIT appears to look better, have a longer playlist and fit on one?
    I analyzed it a bit here:

    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...644#post370644

    But, @botley 's probably right about the encoder. They were probably maxing out the bitrate because they were trying to get the best visual quality out of the encoder because of all the strobing. But they were probably using the built-in encoder in DVD Studio Pro, which isn't the greatest.

  9. #5139
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,422
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    When the fuck do we get to hear what TR and Ian Astbury were up to... in Two-thousand-fucking-4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Astbury
    I finished working on some material with Trent Reznor. That is probably going to see the light of day in 2008 [botley: LOL] considering what a perfectionist Trent Reznor is [...]Trent is monolithic. The sessions are the super predator. It is big, it is sensitive and still has an intimate sound. Something to compete with all the young modernists.

  10. #5140
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    637
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    When the fuck do we get to hear what TR and Ian Astbury were up to... in Two-thousand-fucking-4?
    Geez. I never even heard about this.

  11. #5141
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,501
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I'm sure this question has been answered, but...who is the girl who comes up and talks to Trent in the middle of the March Of The Pigs video? That's such an odd detail for a video that's pretty straightforward.

  12. #5142
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,535
    Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I'm sure this question has been answered, but...who is the girl who comes up and talks to Trent in the middle of the March Of The Pigs video? That's such an odd detail for a video that's pretty straightforward.
    she talks to him? i always assumed she was re-applying some makeup given the positioning.

  13. #5143
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Might this be something that Trent might play at? The timing & cur(e)ator certainly seem to work!

    https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...festival-2018/

  14. #5144
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,501
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    she talks to him? i always assumed she was re-applying some makeup given the positioning.
    I can't say for sure, but it looks like her face is right up near his. Either way, it's always seemed odd to me, although certainly not in a bad way.

  15. #5145
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,679
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Guys and girls, this has been bugging me for the whole day yesterday. What font is being used in the recent tour announcement? I've stumbled upon some realitvely close ones but there's always something off, especially the 1, the R and the S. Can anyone help? Would be much appreciated. I can't believe that they went with something exclusively created for NIN or this poster. Thank you!



  16. #5146
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    2,630
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Has Trent ever been asked his thoughts about punk and hardcore in any interviews you guys can recall? Feel like the closest he's toyed with those sounds was MotP, his love for Joy Division (but he's really only covered material of theirs that is not very "punk"), and when he covered these live a few times a few years ago:




  17. #5147
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    @bobbie solo I remember the old nin.com site with the message board and there was this thread about pre-show music and apparently it was TR's iPod mix of songs he listens to that were played prior to an NIN show this was around the time of the Lights In The Sky tour. I remember that the Clash's song Hateful was on there and some Dead Boys songs. I remember hearing Hateful before an NIN show and saying to somebody you don't hear this song everyday.
    If that was his playlist I think TR has great taste in music and fairly well rounded one and yes I would say he has a punk influence however Clash's London Calling (the album that Hateful is on) is not a hard core punk record, not like their first album.

  18. #5148
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    615
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Yup, and he's also had songs by Wire and Buzzcocks on those playlists.
    Last edited by piggy; 02-13-2018 at 11:47 PM.

  19. #5149
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,314
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    What font is being used in the recent tour announcement? I've stumbled upon some realitvely close ones but there's always something off, especially the 1, the R and the S. Can anyone help?
    Looks like it's something from the NeoGram family. Here's The Northern Block website if you'd like to look around. They also let you try out the different fonts, etc.

  20. #5150
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    34.167488, -118.381863
    Posts
    954
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Speaking of fonts...

    Do we know which font was used on PHM? I tried to search around, but only came up with some fan generated fonts.

    *edit* Rob said, it's a "...stretched-out version of Helvetica."
    Last edited by FULLMETAL; 03-03-2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: NINwiki to the rescue!

  21. #5151
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So.. is PHM remastered vinyl really sold out or do they take their time to repress ?

  22. #5152
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    So.. is PHM remastered vinyl really sold out or do they take their time to repress ?
    I've seen it pop up from time to time on the nin web store so I wouldn't write it off as "sold out". You can find it on discogs, sealed $26.00. (That's less than I paid at a indi shop in Chicago.)

  23. #5153
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Has TR ever mentioned "Head Down" having any connection to the Soundgarden song of the same name, especially since they toured together?

    And has he ever confirmed that "Echoplex" was named after the Los Angeles venue?

  24. #5154
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,422
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Has TR ever mentioned "Head Down" having any connection to the Soundgarden song of the same name, especially since they toured together?

    And has he ever confirmed that "Echoplex" was named after the Los Angeles venue?
    No and no. The venue (and likely the song) is named after a legendary and highly influential tape echo effects unit.
    Last edited by botley; 03-09-2018 at 02:29 PM.

  25. #5155
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX 24.24.1.400[Inc]
    Posts
    307
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Speaking of fonts...

    Do we know which font was used on PHM? I tried to search around, but only came up with some fan generated fonts.

    *edit* Rob said, it's a "...stretched-out version of Helvetica."
    How much does Rob love getting questions like this..."Really? That's what you want to know?!? I'm launching a new endeavor and you want to know what font Trent used on a 30 year old album?!?! I was 10!"

  26. #5156
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    How much does Rob love getting questions like this..."Really? That's what you want to know?!? I'm launching a new endeavor and you want to know what font Trent used on a 30 year old album?!?! I was 10!"
    Rob really puts himself out there for fans. I think it's fair to say that he realizes he had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with NIN, and I admire his willingness to share his time and answer what some might think are mundane or trivial questions. He was one of the first accounts I followed on Twitter, and I've enjoyed keeping up with him post-NIN. He seems really humble and cool, and if this sort of thing bothers him, I've not seen it.

  27. #5157
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Is there a post-hoc item/document/file that functions to flesh out the world and story of Year Zero? I'm talking the websites, storyline, characters, etc. Something similar to the physical components for the new EPs. It would be helpful to provide when diving into the album for the first time.

  28. #5158
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,367
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    As far as NIN drummers are concerned, while I do of course love Ilan who, I’m not sure how everyone else feels, but him I consider at the top (I may say this since he’s the one I’m most acclamaited with [started listening to NIN in 2008]). Right next to him though for me after pouring through much of the past footage would be Chris Vrenna. I abslutely love his energy, especially from what I see in the past music videos. I am surprised he was not included in the “Wave Goodbye” tour of 2009. I’m curious if he and Trent had a fallout. Not much is mentioned on ninwiki. He’s just one of those past performers along with Danny Lohner that I’d love to see on stage with Trent live one day.

  29. #5159
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,296
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Well, the last thing I can remember Trent saying about Vrenna was that he was "the musical janitor", so . . .

  30. #5160
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    In this twilight
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    . I am surprised he was not included in the “Wave Goodbye” tour of 2009. .
    Would have been funny if he was, considering Robin was back, and Danny made a few guest appearances.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions