Page 159 of 216 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 169 209 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,770 of 6456

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Beside You in Time came out on HD DVD.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I forgot that format even existed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Uh! Nice one!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I own this haha!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrie_Schnee View Post
    ...weird, rare, obsolote and/or stillborn formats...

...minidisc...

Minidiscs are the format of the future!!

Sigh. I really liked them, anyway.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bwary View Post
    HA! I knew I read it before, so I dug it up ;-) Sad that those old links of yours are dead though...I'd like to have the files, as well as read the detailed story!
    I'll see what I can dig up. I probably have copies SOMEWHERE.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrie_Schnee View Post
    Random NIN question: I got curious the other day - what weird, rare, obsolote and/or stillborn formats did Nine Inch Nails release on?

It started with me googling for "NIN minidisc", but all that showed was the Broken Vinyl (coming with a... minidisc, although not a MiniDisc). The cassettes and VHS I know of - they're just obsolete, not obscure. Then there is the DVD-As for TDS and WT, as well as that one SACD.

What else can you think of? Was there a Sony Connect ATRAC-download of With Teeth? Have you ever seen japanese MiniDisc-imports?
    It's miniCD, not minidisc for Broken btw.

I would say picture disc for someone who loves vinyl is weird as fuck :P. Or for weird merch the official matchbook for Lost Highway OST (I have one, no I'm not crazy).
    Or BD-A for Social Network, that's obscure. Or how about Ghosts 37 and 38 only being released as multis? Or what about USB sticks hiding in toilets :P

BUT I CAN CONFIRM NIN WAS ON ATRAC. I was one of the like, five people who had a Walkman MP3 and that used ATRAC as the filetypes, not MP3. So I had many a NIN on ATRAC

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    BUT I CAN CONFIRM NIN WAS ON ATRAC. I was one of the like, five people who had a Walkman MP3 and that used ATRAC as the filetypes, not MP3. So I had many a NIN on ATRAC
    ATRAC to sneak myself through, ATRAC to get to the other side.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Because I'm a dorkus malorkus, I re-read Rob Sheridan's FAQ about the HD format war from the old nin.com around the release of Beside You in Time; apparently the HD DVD was encoded differently, and wouldn't allow for real-time angle switching or the highest possible bitrate that the Blu-ray version does. Otherwise they're identical.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Re: obscure media

Quote Originally Posted by Entertainmet Weekly
    Decidedly not nice — but ab fab to behold — are the premier issues of Substance Digizine (Substance Interactive Media, CD-ROM for PC/Windows, $19.95 per issue or $75 for four issues) and Blender (Dennis Publishing, CD-ROM for PC/Windows and Mac, $19.95 per issue or $49.95 for five issues), two CD-ROM magazines that court the hard-moshin’ Gen X crowd. Substance is West Coast-based, which shows up in its trippier topics and opaque-unto-annoyance interface. It’s a tad slow, but the features are tasty: a visit with Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails (replete with an MTV-censored video), a look at the anarchic public- service ads that filmmaker Jim McKay creates with pop luminaries such as Michael Stipe. The ambient-music review section is structured like a bad video game, though, and the overall feel is like being locked in a room with brilliant teenage potheads.
    I definitely saw pictures of that but can't find a convenient link right now

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Does the Quake game CD having its music tracks flagged with 'pre-emphasis' count as being obscure/obsolete media? I think that's the same on all releases of it (domestic, international, Mac, PC, shareware, etc.) so it's not an error. It actually sounds far more musical with the de-emphasis curve applied, to my ears anyhow. Less of that ringy, penny-in-the-mouth flavoured treble. But that didn't stop me from listening to the pre-emphasized tracks for years...
    Last edited by botley; 02-09-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Does the Quake game CD having its music tracks flagged with 'pre-emphasis' count as being obscure/obsolete media?
    Obscure/obsolete enough for the vanilla Steam version not to have the tracks patched in even though source ports are a thing. But to answer your question, yes.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Because I'm a dorkus malorkus, I re-read Rob Sheridan's FAQ about the HD format war from the old nin.com around the release of Beside You in Time; apparently the HD DVD was encoded differently, and wouldn't allow for real-time angle switching or the highest possible bitrate that the Blu-ray version does. Otherwise they're identical.
    Because I'm a dorkus malorkus, I save everything nin.com related... much better viewing at this wayback machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I'll see what I can dig up. I probably have copies SOMEWHERE.
    Awesome, thanks for looking!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Does the Quake game CD having its music tracks flagged with 'pre-emphasis' count as being obscure/obsolete media? I think that's the same on all releases of it (domestic, international, Mac, PC, shareware, etc.) so it's not an error. It actually sounds far more musical with the de-emphasis curve applied, to my ears anyhow. Less of that ringy, penny-in-the-mouth flavoured treble. But that didn't stop me from listening to the pre-emphasized tracks for years...
    Now I'm wondering if my rip properly dealt with the pre-emphasis. Dammit!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I checked a US digipak edition (Nov.97 reissue) of Quake with @jmtd and can confirm that it has no pre-emphasis and needs no filter. I'll post checksums if necessary

+ One more obscure media: torrents for Broken and Closure DVDs among other things. Obscure because TPB and its clones get blocked every day
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 02-09-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    either i have forgot about it or never seen it

DEVO covering HLAH

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    I checked a US digipak edition (Nov.97 reissue) of Quake with @jmtd and can confirm that it has no pre-emphasis and needs no filter. I'll post checksums if necessary
    It wouldn't be something one could find by looking at checksums; you'd need to look at the cuesheet generated by competent CD ripping software to see if the pre-emphasis flag is set on the disc itself. Audio files ripped from the CD won't by themselves tell you whether they need it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Interesting. My early version of Quake does have pre-emphasis. I wonder when they stopped doing it.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baudolino View Post
    either i have forgot about it or never seen it

DEVO covering HLAH

I never knew about this, but I am so glad I found out. And then I did some research...

Devo released their HLAH cover in 1996.
    Josh Freese joined Devo in 1996.

ARG.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm not a fan of most of the Nine Inch Nails covers I've heard, but I fucking LOVE Devo's version of Head Like A Hole. I think I've actually listened to it more than the original in recent years.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I never knew about this, but I am so glad I found out. And then I did some research...

Devo released their HLAH cover in 1996.
    Josh Freese joined Devo in 1996.

ARG.
    That was, literally, the very first Random NIN Question I had posted in the old ETS.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It wouldn't be something one could find by looking at checksums; you'd need to look at the cuesheet generated by competent CD ripping software to see if the pre-emphasis flag is set on the disc itself. Audio files ripped from the CD won't by themselves tell you whether they need it.
    Would you kindly climb down that high horse of yours for a moment?
    I said checksum merely as a safety measure against the "don't share copyrighted stuff here" warnings.

Last edited by BenAkenobi; 02-09-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Taking the conversation to this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Time for me to repost my comparison video. Ogilvie gets NIN. Scheiner doesn't.

My biggest problem with BYIT is the sound of drums. Super flat and sounds nothing like three rehearsal videos or LITS sbd recordings.
    Is it the mix or did they really sound like that on tour?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Taking the conversation to this thread.

My biggest problem with BYIT is the sound of drums. Super flat and sounds nothing like three rehearsal videos or LITS sbd recordings.
    Is it the mix or did they really sound like that on tour?
    I don't mind the sound of the stereo mix but fuck me the surround mix sounds a bit empty and the drums sound distant and weak.

It's a lossy source but to me the drums sound pretty punchy in this recording http://www.ninlive.com/shows/2006/20060611.html

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I first noticed the lack of pre-emphasis flag on my copy of Quake that came bundled with the 2 expansions (US 3 CD-ROM).

Back Cover / CD Front = 1000463.201.US
    Inner CD Ring = 1000463101USRE2

I do not own "100463101USRE1" if such a thing exists. I would imagine that would be the first domestic release without the pre-emphasis tag.

EDIT: @botley
    Last edited by Jon; 02-10-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My pre-emphasis copy is the GT Interactive release from Europe (https://www.discogs.com/Trent-Reznor...release/808460). Might be interesting to see which ones have pre-emphasis and which don't. For certain values of "interesting".

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Here's a real random-ass question: What the heck was everybody here for on the 27th of May last year? The bottom of the main page says...

Most users ever online was 3,023, 05-27-2016 at 11:09 AM[COLOR=#3E3E3E].
    Huh, odd. I wonder if the site got hit by some weird botspam network or something?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Expanding on the stereo vs 5.1 discussion that started in NTAE thread:

BYIT used different people for 5.1 and Stereo. WT 5.1 was done by a different person (James Brown) vs Stereo. I'm guessing AATCHB 5.1 and Stereo were done by different people.

Why use different people to do each album mix of 5.1 and stereo - a time crunch? Surely you'd want them to be done by the same person for more consistency, with the 5.1 having the obvious extra bells and whistles going on.