Page 138 of 216 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 140 148 188 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,140 of 6457

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Sanctified (version)

can't go wrong with that
    Ya know, honestly... I'll probably go with that.

I'm sorry, guys. The "(Remaster/Reissue)" tag gives me nightmares and bad flashbacks of ripping and Title Sorting 100+ Beatles discs.

Thank you, all.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    I honestly fail to see why even the need the new tag. Do ya'll also tag live tracks from AATCHB and other such material differently?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I honestly fail to see why even the need the new tag. Do ya'll also tag live tracks from AATCHB and other such material differently?
    ...don't you?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I like the way iTunes labels live tracks with (Live). Especially with scrobbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Seed_0 View Post
    The Sanctified from Halo 2R is a re-mastered version of the song. Granted the speech samples are removed, I wouldn't label it as mix. The term could be misleading. I would label it as Sanctified (Remastered Version) or Sanctified (Remastered). You could included the year, but it is not necessary.
    You can't remove any layer of a mix in a remaster. It was re-mixed, then it was remastered. If it's the mix that is redone, that has to take precedence over "(remastered)" because it involves more significant changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In the case off Halo 2R the songs were altered to enhance the sound quality, not to change the song. The term mix is generally used when a song has been altered to sound different from the original. Speech samples were removed due to copy right issues. Labeling them as mixes would just make them confusing, especially to someone not familiar with them.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    In the case off Halo 2R the songs were altered to enhance the sound quality, not to change the song. The term mix is generally used when a song has been altered to sound different from the original. Speech samples were removed due to copy right issues. Labeling them as mixes would just make them confusing, especially to someone not familiar with them.
    That's why it's best a "version" in this case. Because the audio is noticeably different but it's not an alternate mixing - like 10MH (version), Discipline (single version) etc

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    That's why it's best a "version" in this case. Because the audio is noticeably different but it's not an alternate mixing - like 10MH (version), Discipline (single version) etc
    Speaking of 10 Miles High (Version), was it ever said why they made such minimal changes to the version on TFA? Why not just use the original on halo fifteen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    See my earlier post.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    See my earlier post.
    Remastered version is probably a pain in case there's ever a remaster of the original - (Remaster)(Version) maybe though

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    ...don't you?
    No, of course not.
    Song title is whatever is written on the album sleeve, nothing else. Distinguishing versions by album tag is sufficient, IMO.
    Last edited by fillow; 02-09-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Remastered version is probably a pain in case there's ever a remaster of the original - (Remaster)(Version) maybe though
    I've always thought it stupid how Trent just went with Starfuckers, Inc. (Version) for the titles of all three versions on TFA. Why not give more details so we could differentiate better?

Also, speaking of how things are written on sleeves @fillow , I always thought Get Down Make Love was written like that on the sleeve for Sin, without the comma (and I think it is), but everywhere else it's written with a comma. I've always written it without because that's how I saw it on the sleeve.

An exception to the rule: Mr. Self Destruct is written as Mr without the period, but I prefer it with one, so I give it one in tags.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I've always thought it stupid how Trent just went with Starfuckers, Inc. (Version) for the titles of all three versions on TFA. Why not give more details so we could differentiate better?
    I agree on account of Starfuckers as it is one of the few exceptions to my rule (I use remixer name instead).
    I also always try to use the same title for a track which is titled differently on different releases (hence I have Survivalism_Tardusted on YZRemixed).
    GDML is w/o comma for me (but Queen version has it). Also Physical is just Physical. There's no mention of (You're So) being part of the title anywhere on Broken (on the few versions that actually mention Physical & Suck at all)
    Last edited by fillow; 02-08-2016 at 05:11 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Also, speaking of how things are written on sleeves @fillow, I always thought Get Down Make Love was written like that on the sleeve for Sin, without the comma (and I think it is), but everywhere else it's written with a comma. I've always written it without because that's how I saw it on the sleeve.

An exception to the rule: Mr. Self Destruct is written as Mr without the period, but I prefer it with one, so I give it one in tags.
    I don't remember the origin, but for SF I use the alternate titles of Starfuckers, Inc. (AS), (DO) and (CC). I'm like 70% sure that was used in SOMETHING official at some point, and it makes life easier.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    ...don't you?
    i'm with fillow on this one. you have the album info to denote which version of a song you're listening to. you know, and your ears

Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I like the way iTunes labels live tracks with (Live). Especially with scrobbling.
    i DESPISE that. whenever i import a new CD or download something that has unnecessary parentheticals in the song titles, i remove them (which is time consuming and frustrating). for example, i don't need my computer/my phone/my ipod/my car to tell me that every single song on the Pretty Hate Machine 2010 Remaster is (2010 Remastered Version) because i know which album i have selected. it's redundant information and it makes the song titles look too long and messy.

sorry, i'm too passionate about this.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Labeling several different remixes of the same song on the same release as undifferentiated "versions" is a common practice in (and an affectation Reznor subsequently borrowed from) the world of dub music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know what the pain is about (Remastered Version), and I think it is safe to just put (Remastered) because I seriously doubt Trent will be going over PHM ever again. But, if you still want to presist, I suggested adding the year (2010 Remastered) or in your case of loving long titles (2010 Remastered Version) lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The tagging of the version is necessary because of the amount of tracks that are related to NIN (whether it is released, unrelaesed, mix, remix, remixed by, live, ect...). Of course looking at album individually would not require such labeling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In the case of TFA I replaced (Version) with the name of the person that did the remix. Starfuckers, Inc. (Adrian Sherwood), Starfuckers, Inc. (Dave "Rave" Ogilvie), Starfuckers, Inc. (Charlie Clouser).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I don't know what the pain is about (Remastered Version), and I think it is safe to just put (Remastered) because I seriously doubt Trent will be going over PHM ever again. But, if you still want to presist, I suggested adding the year (2010 Remastered) or in your case of loving long titles (2010 Remastered Version) lol
    Goodness gracious, sir, I'm OCD. Relax.

I have the album labeled as Pretty Hate Machine [US 2010 CD Remaster]. I use long titles because I have lots of the same albums on different mediums, etc. Albums are then sorted by band and release date, so the "sort" category is "Nine Inch Nails - 1989-10-20 (2010 US CD Remaster), so Year/Country of Origin/Medium/Description. If a digital version precedes the physical release date, then that gets entered instead so it's sorted before the physical release. The dates are also adjusted for country. For various artists and releases on the same day, the description is the first thing in parentheses, for instance (AATCHB Live US CD) and (AATCHB Still US CD). Kid all you want, but my collection is forever-sorted.

------------------

As far as live, of course you want as much detail as possible. Here's an example (would have been more detail if the shows weren't all in NY; Trk #1 artist needs updated):

The album lists the songs as No Parts I–IV; that's extremely misleading. The main reason I don't just use whatever is printed on the sleeve, etc. (besides misprints) is because I don't want the exact same song called 9 different things. There is nothing called Piggy (Rick Rubin Remix) in my collection, for instance. That is a promo title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good luck with all that, but you seem to be confused about my post.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    While we're on the subject of being confused about your posts, it's considered bad form to triple-post, especially when your third-in-a-row...

In the case of TFA I replaced (Version) with the name of the person that did the remix. Starfuckers, Inc. (Adrian Sherwood), Starfuckers, Inc. (Dave "Rave" Ogilvie), Starfuckers, Inc. (Charlie Clouser).
    ...is basically a repost of the third post above YOURS on the same page...

I don't remember the origin, but for SF I use the alternate titles of Starfuckers, Inc. (AS), (DO) and (CC). I'm like 70% sure that was used in SOMETHING official at some point, and it makes life easier.
    But anyway.

I'm almost scared but too OCD to NOT ask....

How does everyone label "A Viole(n)t Fluid"...?!?

o_O

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    While we're on the subject of being confused about your posts, it's considered bad form to triple-post, especially when your third-in-a-row...

...is basically a repost of the third post above YOURS on the same page...

But anyway.

I'm almost scared but too OCD to NOT ask....

How does everyone label "A Viole(n)t Fluid"...?!?

o_O
    Sorry the lack of reply with quotes. I posted 3 separate because they were 3 separate subject matters, and I didn't want any confusion to be derived from them. I missed some of the prior post due to improper loading of some sort.

As far as "A Violet Fluid" I think that is the correct title. The latter is type error.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    whenever i import a new CD or download something that has unnecessary parentheticals in the song titles, i remove them (which is time consuming and frustrating). for example, i don't need my computer/my phone/my ipod/my car to tell me that every single song on the Pretty Hate Machine 2010 Remaster is (2010 Remastered Version) because i know which album i have selected. it's redundant information and it makes the song titles look too long and messy.
    Totally agreed. Where I disagree is that there is only one reason to use the unadulterated original title: when it's the unadulterated original song. Any version that is not that version needs a parenthetical denoting what makes it different because the tags need to be accurate. The only place "Terrible Lie" should be "Terrible Lie" alone is on the original issues of PHM (CD/vinyl/cassette) or whatever random compilations may use the original cut. Every other version isn't that one, and the tags exist specifically to tell you that. And since most people don't call AATCHB 'Live: And All That Could Have Been' (which is technically what the cover says! minus the colon), you need to include the (Live) addendum for accuracy.

I wouldn't differentiate (Live) on AATCHB and BYIT though. That's overdoing it.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I wouldn't differentiate (Live) on AATCHB and BYIT though. That's overdoing it.
    If you knew the exact date for each performance, would you add those? I agree, though, that that could be overdoing it. I personally just like using (Live) for Nine Inch Nails, as it follows the Live, Quiet, Still theme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    If you knew the exact date for each performance, would you add those? I agree, though, that that could be overdoing it. I personally just like using (Live) for Nine Inch Nails, as it follows the Live, Quiet, Still theme.
    There are a lot of live NIN tracks, and there are a lot of live variations of songs. I list dates when I can for example: Piggy (Live 10/3/94). But, I only due that non official NIN tracks. For tracks like AATCHB live I list like: Piggy (AATCHB).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Only if it's a comp release of performances from multiple dates. If they're all from one show that doesn't have a name (BYIT, et al), the album tag should cover it.

So the audio of those live-from-the-stage videos are all under one album with each song as (Live at blahblah ##/##/####).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Only if it's a comp release of performances from multiple dates. If they're all from one show that doesn't have a name (BYIT, et al), the album tag should cover it.

So the audio of those live-from-the-stage videos are all under one album with each song as (Live at blahblah ##/##/####).
    4 digits for the year is to much. I don't think there will be a Piggy (10/3/2094) in my collection. I usually add the locations in the comments.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    4 digits for the year is to much. I don't think there will be a Piggy (10/3/2094) in my collection. I usually add the locations in the comments.
    If I'm sharing the files, I usually do YYYY/MM/DD, just to prevent any possible date confusions due to international variation - but yeah, for personal use YY is fine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hello all, I am new to ets! Years ago, (around the release of With Teeth) there was a song called The last Inch that I downloaded. It was labeled as a Nine Inch nails song. I was wondering if anyone has heard it, and knows anything about it? It's an instrumental, and definitely sounds like Trent's work. I tried looking it up, but there is absolutely nothing online about it. Thanks!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antistar54 View Post
    Hello all, I am new to ets! Years ago, (around the release of With Teeth) there was a song called The last Inch that I downloaded. It was labeled as a Nine Inch nails song. I was wondering if anyone has heard it, and knows anything about it? It's an instrumental, and definitely sounds like Trent's work. I tried looking it up, but there is absolutely nothing online about it. Thanks!
    Did some quick googling and I'm pretty sure it's the untitled track at the end of Music for the Massive by Apartment 26.