Page 108 of 216 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 158 208 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 6456

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Trent is working with Apple, NIN isn't. I don't see the controversy. It isn't like U2 doing the album thing. And for the 10 grand Iwatch, expensive watches have always existed. It isn't a new idea from Apple. I'm going to assume none of us can afford one so who fucking cares.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Random Trent Reznor question here:

For starters, I'm just blown away by songs like Leaving Hope, All That Could Have Been, Various Methods of Escape, While I'm Still Here, etc.
    I listened very carefully to Leaving Hope just now, paying attention to the melody instruments, as well as the chord progressions, the structure, and all the pads and layers.

When I listen to these sad and profound, emotionally deep songs from NIN, I always wonder;
    "How did Trent learn to compose songs that bring us goosebumps across our skin, and tears top our eyes? How did he learn to communicate so much emotion with his music? Who influenced him?"

I'm trying to listen to a lot of music that can do the same thing NIN does to me, and I find that some artists come close, but NIN has a way of being a couple steps further.

Without NIN, I think if I tried to write music, especially serious and melancholy songs, they would significantly lack layers, variation, effort and innovation. From experience I've found that I've over done emotion; usually getting an overly dramatic sound, or getting something that sounds too light, strange, or "happy", when it really should sound like rock bottom defeat.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Second question,

does Trent ever go on here and talk to people? Man it would be great if he would do a live Q&A.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Second question,

does Trent ever go on here and talk to people? Man it would be great if he would do a live Q&A.
    Not this incarnation of ets, but in the old days yes. Mostly to shout at people.

He has done fan q&a and similar things in the past on other sites though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Ah shit I missed out. Didn't he do something on Redit?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Not this incarnation of ets, but in the old days yes. Mostly to shout at people.

Also, do you have any opinions on the question I raised before this one?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Without NIN, I think if I tried to write music, especially serious and melancholy songs, they would significantly lack layers, variation, effort and innovation. From experience I've found that I've over done emotion; usually getting an overly dramatic sound, or getting something that sounds too light, strange, or "happy", when it really should sound like rock bottom defeat.
    Someone else can probably cite some of Trent's influences, but regarding trying to write emotional music, personally, I don't think everyone can write every type of music (e.g., emotional, simple, complex, personal, accessible ...). I'm not talking about talent or skill, which are also factors, but people observe things different ways, and, I think, most "effective" music is built upon the creator's perspective. I think you have to be able to judge "does this music feel right" in sort of an iterative way (repeatedly, at different scales), which is a different question than asking "does this music resemble this existing music."

That's just a guess, though. In any case, I think I can relate in not being able to write very dramatic music. I just always end up being subtle, static, and impersonal (which I guess just conveys a different type of emotion or drama).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    Someone else can probably cite some of Trent's influences, but regarding trying to write emotional music, personally, I don't think everyone can write every type of music (e.g., emotional, simple, complex, personal, accessible ...). I'm not talking about talent or skill, which are also factors, but people observe things different ways, and, I think, most "effective" music is built upon the creator's perspective. I think you have to be able to judge "does this music feel right" in sort of an iterative way (repeatedly, at different scales), which is a different question than asking "does this music resemble this existing music."

That's just a guess, though. In any case, I think I can relate in not being able to write very dramatic music. I just always end up being subtle, static, and impersonal (which I guess just conveys a different type of emotion or drama).
    Interesting. I appreciate your input.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post

Do you know of songs from other artists that impact you in a power/sad/deep way more than NIN?

Sometimes I try to compare and look for songs that can beat NIN in that area just to see if such music exists, but so far, This Mortal Coil's cover of song, Song to the Siren is probably the only other song that can bring me into that quiet, dark place inside. Depeche Mode comes quite close too but I find that they can be a little bit too depressing or romantic sounding. Blonde Redhead I find is pretty good in that melancholy area, but again, personally I find it lacks that punch and release that NIN has. NIN gives me a sadness that makes me feel very good usually, not too depressed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Do you know of songs from other artists that impact you in a power/sad/deep way more than NIN?

Sometimes I try to compare and look for songs that can beat NIN in that area just to see if such music exists, but so far, This Mortal Coil's cover of song, Song to the Siren is probably the only other song that can bring me into that quiet, dark place inside. Depeche Mode comes quite close too but I find that they can be a little bit too depressing or romantic sounding. Blonde Redhead I find is pretty good in that melancholy area, but again, personally I find it lacks that punch and release that NIN has. NIN gives me a sadness that makes me feel very good usually, not too depressed.
    I agree when you say you don't think everyone can write every type of music since we all have our own definitions/perspectives on what makes something emotional, simple, complex, personal, accessible, etc. I used to think that song that went You're Beautiful It's True was good. lol, now I think it sucks.
    I suppose almost anything could strike someone as emotional. Like almost anything can appear to be art to the right observer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Ok what the fuck, lol did Trent Reznor just insert some kind of audio flash thing that creates fart sounds?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Sure, because Trent Reznor totally runs this board

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Was Trent Reznor on any other social media site before Myspace?

Was Myspace also the only first site where With Teeth was officially and legally streamed prior to its release date?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I used to be on his friends list on facebook in 08 (when it was private-before he made the page public and stopped posting)....He used to post 3 or 4 times a day...random things..."house cleaning today, found some keyboards"...."so exhausted, need sleep"...."up at 6 am drinking coffee waiting for the show".....robin and lohner used to comment him all the time...was like a NIN family reunion on facebook...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I used to be on his friends list on facebook in 08 (when it was private-before he made the page public and stopped posting)....He used to post 3 or 4 times a day...random things..."house cleaning today, found some keyboards"...."so exhausted, need sleep"...."up at 6 am drinking coffee waiting for the show".....robin and lohner used to comment him all the time...was like a NIN family reunion on facebook...
    I was so sure that was gonna end with "what a fuckin pussy" or how only sellouts use status updates but instead it was just a sweet anecdote! Am I alive?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I remember facebook a few years ago did this thing where they would post some random status update from someone on your friends list everytime you logged in - and some popped up that were from TR but obviously before he made his page public and started friending fans - it felt a bit voyeuristic to be honest. I'm sure some celebrities complained about that because they stopped that feature pretty sharpish

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post

shout at people / act amazingly petty

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    shout at people / act amazingly petty
    But very entertainingly, unless you're on the receiving end.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Wasn't Rob Sheridan involved with the Beats thing in some way? He's probably working for that too for Apple
    Rob may have had some input initially, but he either left the project when Apple bought it, or else his only involvement at this point is for Trent to bounce ideas off him unofficially. Rob is not working for Apple.

Rob is a visuals guy, first and foremost. He is most likely working on the Tension DVD and/or Fragile re-release stuff, some unknown special project for HTDA or NIN, or going back to being an artist for himself during the NIN/HTDA downtime.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    He added me when his page was private (I am assuming because we had like 20 mutual fb friends-and I told him how I am friends with the dillinger escape guys-which is all true-so I had to namedrop to worm my way into his private fb forum).....I hated when that page went public, ruined everything.......I also remember he used to have these emo posts too "havent seen her in 1 month, miss her so much" "finally in the arms with the one i love"....shit he would NEVER post on a public forum...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    He added me when his page was private (I am assuming because we had like 20 mutual fb friends-and I told him how I am friends with the dillinger escape guys-which is all true-so I had to namedrop to worm my way into his private fb forum).....I hated when that page went public, ruined everything.......I also remember he used to have these emo posts too "havent seen her in 1 month, miss her so much" "finally in the arms with the one i love"....shit he would NEVER post on a public forum...
    that's really sweet - the one 'in the arms of the one I love' is one of the ones that got posted on that 'random posts' facebook thing, just felt really weird reading that

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I've been trying to find the best, most complete version of the secret NIN Open Source Resistance show for my gf but I'm not having much luck. I'm looking for the whole thing, with the speech about the websites from the guy leading into the elevator ride down and then, of course, the band's performance itself.

The performance part was easy, but does anyone have any links to the rest of it? All I could find on YT was THIS, which is great and showed some stuff at the very beginning that I'd never seen before, but it seems to be completely, woefully silent. Argh.

(Pun intended, btw.)

:-\

EDIT: LOLWTF, it works now!

HUZZAH! \o/

But still...isn't this a lot shorter than the original files?

o_O
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 04-03-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    But still...isn't this a lot shorter than the original files?
    http://www.nin.wiki/Open_Source_Resistance
    The original "raw" footage is almost half an hour long.
    http://yearzero.netninja.com/mirrors...esistance.net/
    My best guess is that it was taken down with the original site. Unless someone managed to rip it before they did, I think it's lost in the ether.
    Edit, someone did:
    Part 1:
    Part 2:
    Part 3:
    Edit 2:
    Okay, so there's some footage missing from the start obviously, as it doesn't add up to the almost 40 minutes (not half an hour) originally streamed.
    Edit 3:
    There's a transcript of the introduction here: http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?56,...006#msg-857006
    I remember seeing it originally and finding that guy terrifying. Let's hope someone ripped the whole thing and has it somewhere.
    Last edited by scorpiusdiamond; 04-03-2015 at 10:14 PM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Man, that HAS to be out there somewhere...I can't believe that the same OCD fanbase that archives practically everything else would somehow manage to overlook something as absolutely EPIC and recent as that, lol.

Anyone?

Thanks for all the help and the linkage, though. Especially that transcription of the guy's speech!

Jeeeeezus, I would've given anything to have been there.

OMFG.

O_O

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    In most of the album Ghosts, what are some of Trent's main organic, metallic, plucked string instruments?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm quite lost. OSR looks fascinating... And that Neil guy. Wow jailed for two years because of it. I completely missed out on the Year Zero action, being a 14 year gamer and non-techie. How did Trent find out about Neil before hiring him for the ARG?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I'm quite lost. OSR looks fascinating...
    Holy FUCK, man. You have NO IDEA what you missed out on with all the interactive, encrypted website action!

I mean, goddamn.

XD

Speaking of which, does anyone know where THE BEST resource documenting ALL the hidden website stuff (content/meaning/how it was found/etc.) might be? I know there were several different compilation-websites put together for that purpose at the time and pretty quickly afterward, I'm just looking for opinions (and links? w00t) regarding whichever sites have been deemed most comprehensive for the full picture and organization/ease-of-browsing.

And while we're on that note...wasn't ets (or someone here once upon a time) the spearhead of some effort to package all that Year Zero website/concept album insanity on an interactive DVD with branching menus? OMFG, I'd especially love to see that! Did it ever happen? Someone PLZ say YES and link me there!

Annnnd, onto a separate topic for a sec.

That nin.com link with the OSR transcript had an interesting question in it that was never resolved.

Does Reznor actually outright OWN the Mellotron used by The Beatles?

I remember reading all about Jimmy Iovine owning it and LOANING it to Reznor here and there a million times but I've also read that Reznor actually owns it, too. Did he eventually just work out a trade or something or did Iovine gift it to him maybe? Or was everyone just assuming that Reznor owns it after how much he used it? Maybe he just borrowed the one a bunch then bought another?

Anyone know more about the specifics there?

And that Neil guy. Wow jailed for two years because of it.
    Wait, WAT. Did I miss something in those links? Someone did hard time for OSR stuff?

o_O

Just curious, no biggie...but I'm sure someone out there knows more about all this stuff so THANKS in advance!
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 04-05-2015 at 03:28 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    In most of the album Ghosts, what are some of Trent's main organic, metallic, plucked string instruments?
    Detuned guitars and pianos were used for sure - but some of it was samples, some of it was weird items from TR/AR/AC's own collection, it's hard to pin down. Which I kinda like.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Now, I dont want to get people's hopes high due to the fact that I am not sure if I have it in my possession, but the videos were ripped and I clearly remember downloading them, including the whole speech and such.

Only thing is, I am not sure if its on an old HDD or the one I am currently using. I'll check once I get in the PC again.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Holy FUCK, man. You have NO IDEA what you missed out on with all the interactive, encrypted website action!

I mean, goddamn.

XD

Speaking of which, does anyone know where THE BEST resource documenting ALL the hidden website stuff (content/meaning/how it was found/etc.) might be? I know there were several different compilation-websites put together for that purpose at the time and pretty quickly afterward, I'm just looking for opinions (and links? w00t) regarding whichever sites have been deemed most comprehensive for the full picture and organization/ease-of-browsing.

And while we're on that note...wasn't ets (or someone here once upon a time) the spearhead of some effort to package all that Year Zero website/concept album insanity on an interactive DVD with branching menus? OMFG, I'd especially love to see that! Did it ever happen? Someone PLZ say YES and link me there!

Annnnd, onto a separate topic for a sec.

That nin.com link with the OSR transcript had an interesting question in it that was never resolved.

Does Reznor actually outright OWN the Mellotron used by The Beatles?

I remember reading all about Jimmy Iovine owning it and LOANING it to Reznor here and there a million times but I've also read that Reznor actually owns it, too. Did he eventually just work out a trade or something or did Iovine gift it to him maybe? Or was everyone just assuming that Reznor owns it after how much he used it? Maybe he just borrowed the one a bunch then bought another?

Anyone know more about the specifics there?

Wait, WAT. Did I miss something in those links? Someone did hard time for OSR stuff?

o_O

Just curious, no biggie...but I'm sure someone out there knows more about all this stuff so THANKS in advance!

Thanks for sharing and making an effort to bring this to light for me and the rest of us.