Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Sega thread (aka the greatest gaming system ever)

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The Sega thread (aka the greatest gaming system ever)

Anyone have any good game recomendations or favorites from Sega Genesis? I have a lot of the popular stuff but I'm always on the lookout for cool "new" games as well.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    My Genesis is buried in a box somewhere and I've been wanting to play it for months. It's been years since I've played it, but I remember Sonic (the first one) and Pitfall being my favorite games.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Gunstar Heroes is a must have on the Genesis!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember having fun with Vector Man.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^That game is cool as hell. I remember thinking the graphics were amazing at the time. It still looks pretty cool today.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I'm confused about the point here... new Genesis games?

really though, the Sonic's Ultimate MegaDrive/Genesis compilation for PS3/X360 has 99% of the great genesis games on it.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    The Streets of Rage series still consumes me till this day.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm confused about the point here... new Genesis games?

really though, the Sonic's Ultimate MegaDrive/Genesis compilation for PS3/X360 has 99% of the great genesis games on it.
    That compilation is lacking earthworm Jim and the mutant league sports series. Would have made that perfect and would never have to rely on roms.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Phantasy Star II and IV are untouchable.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    That compilation is lacking earthworm Jim and the mutant league sports series. Would have made that perfect and would never have to rely on roms.
    Roms are still the best solution in my opinion, because of the flexibility of saving games, applying hacks, taking screenshots and most importantly the ability to apply Game Genie / PAR cheat codes. The Sonic games in particular have a virtually endless list of ways to enhance the game with codes, and have a vast community of hackers churning out cool stuff on a regular basis.
    The one exception I know of is Sonic CD; the 2011 'port' actually remakes the game in a new engine, which sidesteps the various technical issues and loading pauses of the Mega CD original and adds numerous extra features.

On the subject of great Megadrive/Genesis games, Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the most obvious example, which fuses the last two of the original series into one giant game. Aside from having far more features than any of its predecessors, I think it has the best-flowing levels and the most entertaining gameplay.

The big one for me though is Ecco 2: The Tides Of Time. Everyone with the console has played the first Ecco at some point, and 95% of its players were burnt by the monstrous difficulty and samey levels/gameplay. The second game, however, appeared near the end of the console's lifespan, and received almost no publicity. Which is a shame, because in every respect it blows the first game out of the water. It's staggeringly beautiful, the difficulty's more manageable (and automatically scales up/down depending on how the player's doing), has a ton of new gameplay aspects which appear throughout the game, and is tied together by an epic storyline. It also features a level in which you have to knock around a giant testicle until it turns blue and disintegrates. Can't recommend Tides Of Time strongly enough.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Toe-Jam and Earl was awesome

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Was i the only one here that ever had the sega channel as a kid?

Do you guys even remember that?

The fact that sega never got praised for that still shocks me. That device was epic for its time and one of many reasons i always thought the Genesis was just a magnificent system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbookpress1984 View Post
    Anyone have any good game recomendations or favorites from Sega Genesis? I have a lot of the popular stuff but I'm always on the lookout for cool "new" games as well.
    Ranger X

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    comix zone was a (latter day) genesis favorite. released as the system was dying, so mostly ignored.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    comix zone was a (latter day) genesis favorite. released as the system was dying, so mostly ignored.
    Awesome game, just a shame it's so short, and that there's so little you can do with PAR codes for it.
    That said, it doesn't feel short when you're still learning the ropes and getting violated by Fung's fingernails every time.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I remember playing Decap Attack on my Sega and finding it really hard. I also remember playing Splatterhouse 3. Good times. Another game that was really good but I never played until about 2 years ago was Snatcher on the Sega CD. Like a mixture of Blade Runner and Terminator and was made by the guy who makes MGS.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Was i the only one here that ever had the sega channel as a kid?

Do you guys even remember that?

The fact that sega never got praised for that still shocks me. That device was epic for its time and one of many reasons i always thought the Genesis was just a magnificent system.
    I remember the Sega Channel. I had Paragon Cable and it was offered. Of course I could never get my dad to pay for it, which was unfortunate.

I was digging through and found my old Sega. I found The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers :The Movie Video Game and was playing it. That game was fucking righteous.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Comix Zone, Echoed once more.

Both Earthworm Jim games... maybe the best of their generation...

Vectorman, totally awesome.

Sonic and Knuckles + Sonic 3 is the best of the series.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Pitfall was awesome
    Battletoads & Double Dragon
    Maximum Carnage
    Spider-Man and Venom: Separation Anxiety
    X-Men
    X-Men 2
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors
    Road Rash
    Sonic 2

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Toe-Jam and Earl was awesome
    I came here to write this... but it's already been written, so I will quote this to show my appreciation for this game.

BEST SEGA GAME EVER!

Also TMNT: Hyperstone Heist was pretty good, even though it was a Turtles in Time clone for the most part with a few new bosses.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I was digging through and found my old Sega. I found The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers :The Movie Video Game and was playing it. That game was fucking righteous.
    Agreed, I remember playing the shit out of that game. The last time I tried to dig my Sega out and play it I couldn't find the cords to plug it into the TV. I'll have to look into that again when I'm at my parents' house this weekend.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    Phantasy Star II and IV are untouchable.
    Agreed. I remember when I finally beat Phantasy Star II... it's still probably the most challenging RPG I've ever played. I'm sure nowadays you could just download a walkthrough that would hold your hand through the crazier segments, but as a kid, it took me well over a year to finish.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    SNES > Genesis

*ducks out*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    SNES > Genesis

*ducks out*
    Well, this thread died pretty quickly. Something tells me you didn't need to duck out. As soon as you made your comment, it shut everyone up to the point where we just heard the crickets chrip and then we all slowly just exited the thread and never spoke about it again...

I don't really see another "Retro" gaming thread to discuss all things retro, so I wonder if we should just turn this thread it everythign retro.

For those in the Vancouver, BC area, next month on March 17th they are having a retro gaming expo. Here is the website: http://www.vancouvergamingexpo.com/

Here is what to expect:

MAIN HALL
    11am-6pm : Vendors
    11am-1am : Free-play Gaming
    11:30am-6pm : Tournaments (Goldeneye N64 and Street Fighter 2 SNES)
    6pm-8pm : Child's Play Charity Auction
    8pm-9pm : Tournament Finals
    9pm-2am : PARTY with Nerd Burlesque

I'm looking forward to it, it's the first of this kind of thing for Vancouver.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 02-20-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    i think your being a little harsh there. Its not like this is a main topic here or anything its just a side note. And apparently no one was interested in SNES to make a thread about it, but people were excited about the sega games. Just a little point or two for you to consider.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Well, this thread died pretty quickly. Something tells me you didn't need to duck out. As soon as you made your comment, it shut everyone up to the point where we just heard the crickets chrip and then we all slowly just exited the thread and never spoke about it again...
    I'm hoping that's a joke.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadpanda View Post
    Ranger X
    This one.

Now I have to get my Genesis out of storage. Also, the Sonic games were all great fun.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I swear to God, as soon as I find my Genesis I'm going on a game buying spree. I don't own Columns, for God's sake. I don't own Columns! WTF.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbookpress1984 View Post
    i think your being a little harsh there. Its not like this is a main topic here or anything its just a side note. And apparently no one was interested in SNES to make a thread about it, but people were excited about the sega games. Just a little point or two for you to consider.
    OK, so October_midnight makes the SNES post, then nobody wrote in here for 4 days and I try and crack a joke about it and break the silence, and I get the flack for it, love it!