New album "Wonky" Due in April:

Good review: http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mer.../orbital-wonky

Single "Never": http://soundcloud.com/orbital-4/never

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Love orbital. I would love to see them live again

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So glad these guys are back. "Never" sounds great, as does "The Gun is Good". I'm getting a bit of a n In Sides/Middle of Nowhere vibe from these new tracks, so I'm pumped for Wonky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Been down with 'em since In Sides, definitely I'll be a first day buyer.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Any good? I haven't bought it yet.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It's good. Better than the past two albums if not quite at the level of their 90s heyday. That said, epic is the only word that can accurately describe "Straight Sun" and "Never".

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Love the new album, the best since In Sides. Don't get me wrong, I love their classics. But I actually think Wonky is my favorite album from them. At least one that I can listen to straight through. It's simultaneously retro and modern sounding.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Just bought. First listen. No time for new France. Needs another pass

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah New France was probably my least favorite track off the album... funnily enough the lead single for it

One Big Moment, Straight Sun, Never, Beezledub (anyone notice this a remix of Satan? it took me a while to realize it), and Wonky are my faves

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The title track gets a lot of hate, but I quite like it. Only song I'm not 100% sold on is "Beelzedub"- it's a clever rework, but seems a bit novelty-ish. "The Gun is Good" should've made the album. I love that track.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Haven't gone back to Wonky yet, not a good sign.

On another note, I've just read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_(1991_album) and weep'd - being an Orbital completionist looks like hard work.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    New paul Hartnoll solo album 8:58 out at the end of the month http://eightfiftyeight.com/

2 tracks on sound cloud , one download enabled https://soundcloud.com/eightfiftyeight/858a/s-GGryr

Guests include cillan Murphy and Robert smith (possibly only by way of inclusion of reworked track Please)

Also a cover of "a forest"
    Last edited by jmtd; 03-12-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    8:58 in session/interview today on Lauren Laverne, BBC 6 Music. I heard about half of it and it was good. Talked about the Peaky Blinders soundtrack (season 2 only I think; not sure if he worked on season 1 -- which from memory also had an awesome soundtrack).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05p2b53

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They must really have some brotherly issues, as they don't just take some years off and then regroup, they go to all the trouble to make announcements and break up. They might be dissolving the partnership for business reasons or whatever, but I tend to think they just don't like each other.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    They must really have some brotherly issues, as they don't just take some years off and then regroup, they go to all the trouble to make announcements and break up. They might be dissolving the partnership for business reasons or whatever, but I tend to think they just don't like each other.
    I'm just listening to the interview for the first time properly and wondering about that myself… not sure if it's outright hate or just, perhaps they've been working together too long.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ORBITAL - MONSTERS EXIST

01 Monsters Exist
    02 Hoo Hoo Ha Ha
    03 The Raid
    04 P.H.U.K.
    05 Tiny Foldable Cities
    06 Buried Deep Within
    07 Vision One
    08 The End Is Nigh
    09 There Will Come A Time (feat. Prof. Brian Cox)

Deluxe Edition:
    10 Kaiju
    11 A Long Way From Home
    12 Analogue Test Oct 16
    13 Fun With The System
    14 Dressing Up In Other People's Clothes
    15 To Dream Again
    16 There Will Come A Time
    17 Tiny Foldable Cities (Kareful Remix)

Release Date: September 14th, 2018

It seems Apple Music leaked the album information in advance...
    https://itunes.apple.com/nz/artist/orbital/724648

Tiny Foldable Cities will be released tomorrow, May 11th as a single.
    Last edited by neorev; 05-10-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    whoaaaa yesss..love orbital!! hope they tour America, I'd pay a ton to see them in NYC...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    whoaaaa yesss..love orbital!! hope they tour America, I'd pay a ton to see them in NYC...
    I believe the last time they were here was 2001, which seems impossible. Great show at the Roseland (RIP) about a month after 9/11. Their live albums from late last year really whetted my appetite for new material.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    MONSTERS EXIST PREORDER OPEN NOW
    Various formats, editions, bundles, and merch available at...
    https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects...ce=pledgemusic

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    I believe the last time they were here was 2001, which seems impossible. Great show at the Roseland (RIP) about a month after 9/11. Their live albums from late last year really whetted my appetite for new material.
    wow..over 15 years ago! they are WAY overdue. I would have loved to have gone to that show, but was a bit young and just getting into them at the time.

the new single is pretty solid. I'm looking forward to the new album. great year for music!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

The new album came out on Friday and I think it's frigging amazing. I love Wonky, which became my favorite album from them. This album has a darker undertone that makes me think of Snivilisation and In Sides. I've been a fan Snivilisation. I highly suggestions the deluxe edition as the several bonus tracks are also really good. My favorite track is "The Raid."

HMV UK has an exclusive triple CD edition with a bonus third disc featuring the 2017 digital singles "Copenhagen" and "Kinetic 2017" as well as "To Dream Again (Reoccurring Mix)" and an alternate version of "Where Is It Going? (Live Style Mix)." Too bad P.H.U.K.U. wasn't also included as I actually prefer that version over "P.H.U.K."

According to an interview in December 2017, they plan to celebrate their 30th anniversary in 2019 as well as delivering another album. So lots of more Orbital to come.
    Last edited by neorev; 09-16-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Nice! I didn't know there was a new release. I first heard 'Halcyon on and on' while watching CKY2, they were in Iceland, I thought it was the perfect song for the segment. I got hooked on the song immediately.

I feel like a lot of genres from the 90s have been forgotten and put on the back-burner; nor do we see many new artists emerging and getting any spotlight. Part of what made the 90s so amazing and memorable was the huge variety of genres and styles of music that were coming out. Orbital had its place.

We need more variety today.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The legendary Orbital are playing Brooklyn on Tuesday, December 4th. If you're a 90s electronic music lover, this should not be missed! Plus their recent albums Monsters Exist and Wonky are great. Get your tickets!

https://www.axs.com/events/363595/or...=brooklynsteel

They're also playing LA and San Francisco.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Monsters Exist is a cracker, seen these guys a handful of times around the Wonky era and this year at Beatherder, was pretty high but my mind was blown by their new set. Going again to Manchester Apollo this month for another round and cannot wait! They like to mess around with the material live and enhance a lot of it, it's great.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'd love to make it to the Brooklyn Steel show and catch these guys again after so many years, but my 4-night NIN run plus 2 nights of Cold Waves plus Pig earlier this fall has exhausted my concertgoing goodwill on the home front. Oh well! Hope they put on a great performance and continue to pop out live recordings at intervals (to say nothing of more new material)...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ORBITAL 30 REMIXED COMING IN 2019, NEW ALBUM IN 2020

Fact Magazine shared a video of Paul Hartnoll showing off his studio and live rig and there is some interesting information if you pay attention to the whiteboard on the wall. I took some screenshots for your viewing pleasure.

It reads...

ORBITAL 30 REMIXED

UTAH SAINTS
    BICEP
    APHEX TWIN
    CHEMICAL BROTHERS
    UNDERWORLD
    LEFTFIELD
    PRODIGY
    DAVID HOLMES
    VINCE CLARKE

Now only Bicep has a check mark by his name, so possibly he is the only one who agreed at the moment or he is the only one who handed in his remix. I guess we shall find out in 2019.

Orbital studio/live rig video:

Orbital mentioned wanting their peers to remix classic tracks as well as re-recording tracks to be closer to their current live incarnations for Orbital 30...

“It’s our 30th anniversary next year, and there’s nothing concrete yet, but we would like to do an ‘Orbital 30’ album — and we essentially want to get a lot of our peers to do remixes of our classic tracks, and we want to record our tracks how we play them live now, because they’re very different from when we first recorded them because the way we improvise live sort of rearranges the structure of the song,” Hartnoll says. “When we play ‘Halcyon’ live, we don’t even realize how different it is from when we first recorded it, almost like it went through a game of Chinese whispers."

“Next year, 2019, will be more of a celebration for us,” Hartnoll adds, “and for 2020, my vision is that we will have another album out.”

Source:
    http://www.sfweekly.com/music/orbita...lLk8jfqgD2JzRE

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Wow! What a show! Just got back. Orbital played 2 hours! The sound was great, really loud and lots of bass. The crowd was going insane and the Hartnoll brothers looked really into it and jammed a little bit when things were really going off. After Doctor? they asked if we wanted one more. Lush came on and they did an awesome jam out at the end. The whole place was wild and cheering at all the big moments. Paul got on the mic at the end and was like "Bloody hell! We really gotta come back here again. Who knew Brooklyn is this crazy?"

Intro w/ Professor Brian Cox
    Monsters Exist
    There Will Come a Time (We All Die Remix)
    Impact
    P.H.U.K.
    Wonky
    Tiny Foldable Cities
    Satan
    Hoo Hoo Ha Ha
    Halcyon + On + On
    Vision OnE
    Belfast
    Chime
    Where Is It Going?
    The End Is Nigh
    Doctor?
    Lush

I recorded some clips and took a few pics. Will post later, too tired after that. So happy I got to see them. If you have not seen them live, definitely go do it. They are powerful live.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-05-2018 at 01:48 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Any Detroit Orbital fans here? They'll be performing at Movement Festival in May 2019

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    BURIED DEEPER WITHIN/IMPACT (THE CURSED EARTH MIX)
    12" RECORD STORE DAY 2019

Limited edition double A-side club 12' ' on white vinyl, gloss sleeve with an embossed stripe. Includes two previously unreleased remixes, both done by the band. On one side ' Buried Deeper Within' , a remix of a stand out track from Orbital' s 2018 album ' Monsters Exist' . On the flip, a remix of one of their all-time classic tracks ' Impact' (the original is on their revered second album from 1993).

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/rsd-2019/orbital/