Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Extremely stoked for the 12 mini as I'm still using my old SE which is keeping up fine despite the battery and the headphone jack.. still no big scratches on the display, lucky me and it runs fine with iOS 14.

I got the iPhone 11 Pro earlier this year as I wanted to dive into photographing a bit more and thought I could finally do an upgrade after so many years, but I'm extremely unhappy with it. I really thought it through, read alot and watched many videos, but the size and the round edges do absolutely nothing for me, hence why I still always switch to the SE. It's a great smartphone, fast as hell, the display is a glory to behold, but it's just not functional for me and my rather small hands. Not being able to handle it with just one hand while having a smoke or drinking a beer at a party is an absolute deal breaker for me.

And I'm curious what MagSafe will bring in the future. I have a feeling this feature will get bigger over time.

So once it's out I'll head to the Apple store and take a good look at the 12 mini. Too bad only the pro has that nice pacific blue colour variation. The mini and normal 12 look a little cheaper with this bright "plasticy" blue tone. Oh well...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I think my next phone will be the 12 pro in pacific blue. as I'm watching all the unboxing videos, I am indeed getting tech lust watching it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Too bad only the pro has that nice pacific blue colour variation. The mini and normal 12 look a little cheaper with this bright "plasticy" blue tone. Oh well...
    i'm getting that adorable minty green color!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Absolutely won't suit me as a person but yeah, the mint tone looks nice indeed. In fact Apple really nailed their color palette over the years, at least in my opinion. I still don't know who'd want a anthrazit or damp grey phone but even gold starts to look cool. Guess the only color I'd never get is white as that gets roughed up real quick. Blue or black for the mini it is for me, gotta have to hold them in my hand and decide.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I traded my XR for my sons OG SE so that I can buy myself the 12 mini when it comes out. He's going from a 32GB to 256GB and a better battery/processor/screen size and I get a smaller phone for a couple weeks until the mini is shipped. win win I say.
    would you believe he keeps turning me down? "But it's missing a home button" is the only reason he's given me other than "I like it, it works for me"

Oh, is that why 3/4 of your apps are in the cloud instead of on the phone and you keep having to delete songs to add others? AND you're constantly tethered to a battery pack?
    Last edited by allegate; 10-21-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    "But it's missing a home button"
    Your son is wise beyond his years.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I actually think I don't really need the pro. I'll get the 12 in blue.
    64gb good or should I upgrade?

I don't really play games on the phone. don't download music on it either (streaming is what I do) . I like to take pics, but not a ton unless it's on vacation or things catch my eye really.
    Last edited by versusreality; 10-21-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I actually think I don't really need the pro. I'll get the 12 in blue.
    64gb good or should I upgrade?

I don't really play games on the phone. don't download music on it either (streaming is what I do) . I like to take pics, but not a ton unless it's on vacation or things catch my eye really.
    For me 128 gig is the sweet spot. Like you I don't play many games nor do I store music locally but I take a ton of photos of the kid and rarely offload. As of today I have 60 gig of photos...which is a rather stupid amount...with approx 20 gig of free space. Now I should clarify, those 60 gig date back at least 6 years so when I order my new phone i'm going to back up to my external HD and thin down to the essentials. My point is this: it's really nice not to have to worry about storage, specifically the dreaded "Insufficient iPhone Storage" popup . Photo quality off the phone is getting better and better which means the files are growing in size, presumably the same with app size...IMO 64 gig isn't enough but ultimately YMMV.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    And I can say that with the 256 every time I connect to the computer itunes does the whole "backing up" thing in step 2 and it can take 20 minutes. I really hate how long it takes for sync.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    considering I hope to have the phone for a few years, I think I will upgrade storage. I'm sure years of photos and videos will start to add up. 128 should be enough for me. thanks for the input! now I just need to decide when I'll purchase. I don't really NEED a new phone now, and I've been super strict with bringing my credit card debt down to $0. I'm thinking December- a birthday gift to myself, along with a gift to myself for completing another grueling semester of grad school.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i have a 64GB and i don't think i've ever had a phone with more storage than that. i offload my photos every couple months. the majority of the space on my phone is taken up by music (320kbps MP3s or ALACs from my itunes library, highest quality for spotify downloads).

i did just update to catalina today so we'll see how the new "music" app handles my library...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i have a 64GB and i don't think i've ever had a phone with more storage than that. i offload my photos every couple months. the majority of the space on my phone is taken up by music (320kbps MP3s or ALACs from my itunes library, highest quality for spotify downloads).

i did just update to catalina today so we'll see how the new "music" app handles my library...
    I switched to an A51 5G a few months back; so happy to not have to worry about storage. 128 GB phone storage + 512 GB SD card = months of entertainment. The card was an extra $100, but so worth it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    128 GB should be enough. Currently I'm on 64 on my old SE which is just what it needs and 256 on my 11 pro which is totally bonkers. From what I've read the new technology for videos and pictures makes the files about 10% bigger on the iPhone 12, so I guess 128 GB is still the sweet spot.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    thinking of 128 GB in black...the blue looked nice, until I saw a video of the black one. that looked sleek as hell.

still trying to talk myself out of getting one.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Your son is wise beyond his years.
    *whistling past the graveyard*

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    *whistling past the graveyard*

I mean, blind cats still hit the litter box sometimes.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Anyone else getting the "Please update from the iOS 14 beta" popup...basically every time you wake the phone?

Edit: Known issue, apparently. Disregard.
    Last edited by cdm; 10-30-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    getting ready to pull the trigger tonight... going to leave Google Fi and switch over to Verizon. still can't decide which 12 I want. blue is out of the picture. white has been making a strong push lately. it's either white or black. why is deciding this so difficult haha. I'm not a fan of cases, or screen protectors. however, I will most likely get a screen protector.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    you know the iPhone works on Fi, right?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    yes, there's a few catches though: it appears you have to be a new Google Fi customer (not an existing one) for it to work. I have also read that there are so many issues with iphones on Fi, like group texts not working, pics not being sent via text, and no 5G support for the iphone 12.

edit: change of plans. got word that there may be some severe layoffs in my school district in June due to covid. as a non-tenured teacher, I'd possibly be on that list. holding off on any big purchases out of caution. damnit.
    Last edited by versusreality; 10-31-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Does anyone have a case recommendation for the iPhone Pro Max? I usually go au naturale but the protruding camera lenses make me nervous. But at the same time I got the blue version and what the fuck is the point when I cover it up?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Does anyone have a case recommendation for the iPhone Pro Max? I usually go au naturale but the protruding camera lenses make me nervous. But at the same time I got the blue version and what the fuck is the point when I cover it up?
    i got this for my 12 mini - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

don't know if they have it in the pro max size but i love it (and it came with TWO screen protectors) and it lets me still see the cute minty green of my phone! honesty i'd just look around and read reviews. there are some clear cases that SUCK so make sure you actually read the reviews, don't just base it on the star rating.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i got this for my 12 mini - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

don't know if they have it in the pro max size but i love it (and it came with TWO screen protectors) and it lets me still see the cute minty green of my phone! honesty i'd just look around and read reviews. there are some clear cases that SUCK so make sure you actually read the reviews, don't just base it on the star rating.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not opposed to a generic but after reading reviews on different cases I'm starting to think I want to feel the texture and finish before buying. Buuuuut I could order from Amazon and return it if I don't like it. I may browse at Target or something before I decide.

The irony is, in terms of materials, this is probably the most durable phone I've ever had but I'm nervous about the camera. I can't believe they haven't figured out the lens protrusions by now. What the fuck? I digress...

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    thin is in, and that's it. They could make the phone as thick as the camera hardware and not have that protrusion but then the phone would be that much thicker.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I'd just like to say that Apple makes some durable as fuck earbuds, I've been using the same pair from like 2012 and THEY STILL WORK.

All the cheap ass ones I owned before from other products would have started disintegrating in a few months.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I'd just like to say that Apple makes some durable as fuck earbuds, I've been using the same pair from like 2012 and THEY STILL WORK.

All the cheap ass ones I owned before from other products would have started disintegrating in a few months.
    durable? yes. good sound? definitely not. comfortable? fuuuuuck no. i tried to wear a pair one time on the train on the way to a friend's b-day at a bar and by the time i got there and took them out my ears felt like i had used a spiked metal q-tip in them. i admire your endurance with those things haha

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Oh fuck, colour iMacs are back... I mean that in a good way.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Wait, if the M1 macs are tearing up their SSDs then what will the M1 ipads do to their storage?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Oh fuck, colour iMacs are back... I mean that in a good way.
    those pastels! :: heart eyes ::