Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Apple Thread

The battery life on my iPhone 4S sucks. News at 11.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Have you done the 5.0.1 update? It helped mine out quite a bit....I'm now just waiting to for the Dev Team to jailbreak this version so I can get my iPhone back to the way I like it.....

Sent from your girl's iPhone

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm just glad the long song titles in the Music app (formerly iPod) FINALLY scroll! Wish they'd do something about the on-the-go Playlists though, which still can not be saved.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Have you done the 5.0.1 update?
    Yeah, I avoided it because I'd read that some people thought the update made it worse, but then it kept bugging me where it seemed like things were fucking up because I didn't do the update, so I updated and I think it's actually a little worse, now. I went through all the recommended motions per various tech sites to change various defaults. But coming home last night in heavy traffic with 10% left on my battery and my car's lighter is broke and I'm screwed, and I hadn't used the iPhone all day and I started at 100% - I hope this improves because I do really love everything else about this 4S.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    if you're using your iPhone for work emails, make sure you disable email fetching altogether. i was so excited when my work enabled iPhone support, until about 3 hours later...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    So turn fetch to "manual?". It sucks that fetch drains the battery when it was fine on my old iPhone (push ate the battery).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    So turn fetch to "manual?". It sucks that fetch drains the battery when it was fine on my old iPhone (push ate the battery).
    Settings > Mail, Contacts... > Fetch New Data > Push OFF/Fetch Manually

works for me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, that's what I did, hope it helps, thanks.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I love my iPhone 4 on Sprint.

K?

Been lovin' it.

Next up is that damn expensive MBP.
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-25-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrăo View Post
    I love my iPhone 4 on Sprint.

K?

Been lovin' it.

Next up is that damn expensive MBP.
    Mind posting screen caps of the speed test app? I'd like to see what you're getting on sprint

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Mind posting screen caps of the speed test app? I'd like to see what you're getting on sprint

Sure, when I'm in an area with a better signal to perform that test with the fairness (vacationing).

I'm not saying that to tout anything from Sprint's speed... I know it's not king in that department. But I'm very happy with my monthly rate for the reliable unlimited service I get. And the iPhone 4 is exquisite coming from my old Samsung Moment.
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-25-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantin View Post
    Settings > Mail, Contacts... > Fetch New Data > Push OFF/Fetch Manually

works for me.
    I have just an iphone4 with exchange/sync for my work emails and I've always only done fetch.

I did the OS5 update and now have this iMessage. Not sure what the benefit is since everyone seems to have unlimited SMS these days anyway.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I just double-clicked the home button and found about 900 processes running. Deleted nearly all of them (except email, calendar), now I'll see if battery life improves. I also bought the "Battery Doctor" app which shows me currently-running processes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I have just an iphone4 with exchange/sync for my work emails and I've always only done fetch.

I did the OS5 update and now have this iMessage. Not sure what the benefit is since everyone seems to have unlimited SMS these days anyway.
    Well, with iMessage you can just stop paying for a txt plan ($10 at least), see when the other person is typing, and you get delivery confirmations. The only thing it doesn't do is group messaging. I use WhatsApp (cross platform) for that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I just double-clicked the home button and found about 900 processes running. Deleted nearly all of them (except email, calendar), now I'll see if battery life improves. I also bought the "Battery Doctor" app which shows me currently-running processes.
    What's in the multitasking tray is different from what you see in a process list on a computer. The multitasking tray is more akin to a recent documents accessed list. Only apps that are actually doing something in the background (playing music, uploading files, etc.) will use processing power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just ordered a new tricked out MPB 13" which will be waiting for me when I arrive back in the UK for holidays. I picked up an iPad 2 from Geneva when I was there a couple of months ago, and I really can't imagine life without this thing now. Especially for people who travel a lot and work in areas where internet access is tricky, having Instapaper on my iPad to save all the articles I want to read later is a god-send. I'd never be able to stay up to date with news and current affairs without it.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    What's in the multitasking tray is different from what you see in a process list on a computer. The multitasking tray is more akin to a recent documents accessed list. Only apps that are actually doing something in the background (playing music, uploading files, etc.) will use processing power.
    Is this true? That's not what a guy at the Genius Bar told me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Is this true? That's not what a guy at the Genius Bar told me.
    Yeah, the apple forums told me that they're processes running. So did my new battery app.

I killed the processes, and got my battery life back. Noticeably.

Edit: Oh, and we found a vi app, heh, fun.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-02-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Just got shipping confirmation on my 21.5" imac with the 2.8ghz i7 processor and only 4g of RAM...I may upgrade to 8g eventually but should be fast enough for my purposes...for now. I had the 2008 macbook and a 1st gen iPhone (Still works!), so I think once I get my old MB fixed and upgrade to the iPhone 5 next year I should be set up with an Apple trifecta of awesomeness!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rémy View Post
    I just ordered a new tricked out MPB 13" which will be waiting for me when I arrive back in the UK for holidays. I picked up an iPad 2 from Geneva when I was there a couple of months ago, and I really can't imagine life without this thing now. Especially for people who travel a lot and work in areas where internet access is tricky, having Instapaper on my iPad to save all the articles I want to read later is a god-send. I'd never be able to stay up to date with news and current affairs without it.
    How would you rate having an iPad if you already own a smartphone? I want an iPad so badly it hurts, but I haven't taken the plunge yet because I always think I have the perfect system going with an 11.6" Air and an iPhone 4. Would love to hear your (or anyone's!) thoughts.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    You will pry my iPad from my cold, dead hands. I wanna marry it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, living where I do, the reasons why the iPad works for me might not necessarily work for someone living in the US or Europe. I also have an iPhone 4, but I use it for totally different things than I do my iPad.

As I said before, I use the iPad primarily for content consumption: I use Flipboard to keep up to date with news from the online versions my favourite newspapers and magazines, and also to mine through all the links that come up on my Twitter feed to find any articles worth reading. I also use Reeder to keep up with RSS feeds from personal blogs I follow which don't update as often and are more manageable keeping up with through a traditional RSS reader. I don't read on any of these apps though. As they both require an internet connection when you're reading and switching between articles, I send the relevant articles to Instapaper, which downloads and stores offline copies of them, free of ads and other distractions, to my iPad for reading at a later time.

I also subscribe to digital magazines from Newsstand. This area is still a bit tricky, as some magazines just put up scanned versions of the print magazine which aren't really worth bothering with, but the two main magazines I subscribe to, Vanity Fair and GQ, are formatted with little extras for the iPad. Now, if you don't live in a warzone and have access to a cornershop where you can get whichever magazines you want in print, this probably isn't a big deal, but it's one area for me that the iPad is very useful.

I currently have a 17" MBP with me out here, and despite the bigger screen size, I prefer watching TV shows and films on my iPad. I just transfer my AVI and MKV files over to an app like AV Player HD over USB, watch them, and delete them when I'm done. As I'm often flying around the country or undertaking long-ish field trips by road, it's more practical for me to carry around my iPad to watch stuff on during travel than it is to carry around a laptop.

I am also a comics person, and again, since out here I don't have any access to comic stores, the iPad once again acts like a lifeline. There are plenty of apps where you can download the latest issues of comics from, but there are also apps like Comic Zeal which you can use to read scans of classic comics in the traditionally used online comic sharing formats.

The only consumption-related activity that I don't like using the iPad for is reading literature. The Kindle wins on this front every single time.

So yeah, those are the four main things that I use my iPad for which I couldn't use my iPhone for (comics, movies, magazines), and which using a laptop for would really mess with my workflow and reduce my efficiency (news).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Initially I found that after I got the iPhone I really stopped using the iPad, however now that the newness has worn off I use both. iPhone wins on things like twitter and foursquare. iPad I use heavily at work for work related things (Evernote, Dropbox, goodreader, and notepad are primary productivity tools). I am also trying to find a way to get my iPad involved with my web comic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Had an iPad 2 on 5.0.1 for couple days now and digging it for sure;
    Still running 4.3 on me iPhone 4 though, waiting for the untethered JB; tethered JB is a pain in the ass

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rémy View Post
    words
    Fantastic post, man, and wonderfully thorough as always. Thanks for the reply, it's actually helping me consider a (new) iPad purchase!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Anyone using the cloud for iTunes? It's pretty sweet, but I hate scrolling through ALL of my music, to get to what's actually on my phone. Other than that it's cool.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Have completely fallen in love with my MBP. That is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After all this time, I'm finally going to be able to get an iPhone! My upgrade is on Dec. 13th. I'm just not certain what size to go for. My thought is to go with the 32G but I'd appreciate any insight.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Always better to get more than enough, you never know. 32 is plenty for most people.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by classicgirl View Post
    After all this time, I'm finally going to be able to get an iPhone! My upgrade is on Dec. 13th. I'm just not certain what size to go for. My thought is to go with the 32G but I'd appreciate any insight.
    I went with the 32gig version and feel it was the right size. I really love the camera on the iPhone 4s. I don't really do a lot of gaming, but I do have the common ones(angry birds, tiny tower, etc). With iTunes match and iCloud I really don't have any music on it either. Personally, i have a 16gig iPad and while I don't have memory usage problems, I wish I would have gotten the 32. It really comes down to what you can afford. My advice for most computer/electronics purchases is get the most you can afford. Nobody ever wishes the laptop was less powerful or there phone had less storage space.