Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    iPhone SE (2) just got announced, up for pre-order starting friday. i am so fucking excited because i don't really like my Xr, the original SE is my fav phone i've ever owned, and apparently i can get up to $300 trade-in credit for my Xr. unfortunately, i have $285 left to pay off on the Xr, so i'm not sure how that works? i hate the way cell carriers operate.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Old, But I think I just got hit with this or a newer version of it, 2019 Apple Wallet breach between banks and Apple Pay. My 2 CCs that otherwise have no relationship both began receiving identical charges from Valero Gas stations in the same south Texas cities. Careful with those debit cards on Apple Pay, shame bc it's SO convenient!

During that dig, I came across something from earlier this month. iPhone Camera/Mic takeover discovered. Perhaps a lot of this is no-brainier don't trust technology/big brother etc but thought it interesting nonetheless.

To cut a very long and technical story short: Pickren found a total of seven zero-day vulnerabilities in Safari (CVE-2020-3852, CVE-2020-3864, CVE-2020-3865, CVE-2020-3885, CVE-2020-3887, CVE-2020-9784, & CVE-2020-9787) of which three could be used in the camera hacking kill chain. The vulnerabilities involved the way that Safari parsed Uniform Resource Identifiers, managed web origins and initialized secure contexts. Yes, this involved tricking a user into visiting a malicious website. Still, that website could then directly access the camera provided it had previously trusted a video conferencing site such as Zoom, for example. "A bug like this shows why users should never feel totally confident that their camera is secure," Pickren said, "regardless of operating system or manufacturer."