Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble with the pinch/zooming in/out part of their iPhone since installing iOS 15 in Safari? Ever since the update (on my iPhone X), sometimes it will zoom and other times it won’t. I did change the setting so that the search bar is back at the too rather than the bottom, but I doubt that’s causing it.

Hopefully they fix it with a patch later on. Hope I’m not the only one experiencing this? Annoying as hell.

@allegate - that’s good to hear re: battery life. My iPhone X battery needs a replacement badly. It’s down to halfway after a few hours. Especially if I’ll be relying on my phone a lot more to give COVID shot proof and whatnot.
    Answering my own question about the zoom issue, but, yes, it appears it’s an iOS 15 bug:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comment..._using_safari/

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Why would you have to pay for this? This already doesn't work across systems??

"Apple Music's new voice-only plan cost $4.99 per month"
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/18/...sts-price-siri

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Why would you have to pay for this? This already doesn't work across systems??

"Apple Music's new voice-only plan cost $4.99 per month"
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/18/...sts-price-siri
    I am also confused by this....I have google home speakers, and if I tell them to play music, they play my spotify music.

And I have an iPhone, if I'm in the car and I call up Siri, I can say "play my driving playlist" and it plays from spotify. Would it not do that if I was using apple music?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    yup it does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Oh, here it is, this explains it a bit better:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/18...or-4-99-month/

You can only access it with Siri on this plan. It's a discount for dealing with Siri. You don't get to use the app, or a web browser, or anything else to control your music, it's Siri ONLY.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    so it's like the Alexa-only music subscription that is only good for the home speaker and isn't portable at all. well, that's not terrible I guess.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Is there a way to make this keyboard on iPhones less bad. I like my phone but this is one area android wins. Maybe it’s the phones actual touch pad whatever which is not the best. It’s the ‘21 SE.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Is there a way to make this keyboard on iPhones less bad. I like my phone but this is one area android wins. Maybe it’s the phones actual touch pad whatever which is not the best. It’s the ‘21 SE.
    You can use other keyboards like GBoard. That's what I use.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    My Pixel has been giving me so much shit lately that I've decided to jump to Apple. I have finally made it in my life to where I can buy the 1k phone and not get flop sweats so let's do this!

Not available today at 8 nearest stores.
    No iPhone 13 Pro models are available for pickup today at nearby Apple Stores.
    No iPhone 13 Pro Max models are available for pickup today at nearby Apple Stores.
    WTF? and I saw an article just yesterday about how Apple wants to slow production due to reduced demand?

Actually it says this for almost every personal device on the site.

No 10.9-inch iPad Air models are available for pickup today at nearby Apple Stores. Please check back later.
    No iPad mini models are available for pickup today at nearby Apple Stores.
    No iPad models are available for pickup today at nearby Apple Stores.
    The Pro models are available though.
    Last edited by allegate; 12-06-2021 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @allegate , try your cellular carrier?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    lol, my carrier is Google Fi and I doubt they have any vested interest in selling me an iPhone.

But since I was considering a move to Mint anyway I just got a phone from them and it's on its way to me...soon?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Apple has done a good job with the AirPod sound issues This will be the 2nd time I've had them replaced (free of charge) in the last 2 years. The process was really easy and they have some audio test they run through them at the store. I went in complaining about one earbud, but they determined both needed replacing. They're replacing my wife's airpods as well.

If you have them, the easiest test is to put them in with noise cancellation on but music off. Tap each earpod gently. A good one will have a muffled tap, bad will have a bit of a tick. Again they replaced both so even the muffled tap may result in a failed test.

The stuff is so expensive, and there are rarely any price concessions but I don't mind it as much if they follow through like this on issues that would impact the perception of quality.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    huh. did you notice a spatial audio issue with them at all? I am noticing that after the last update I can't get spatial to work at all with them.

edit: so is the tick like a static tick, or an audible tick? Because I’m getting static when I tap.

also I can’t make them play spatial audio even if I force it and that’s bugging me more than it really should.
    Last edited by allegate; 12-08-2021 at 12:58 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Apple has done a good job with the AirPod sound issues This will be the 2nd time I've had them replaced (free of charge) in the last 2 years. The process was really easy and they have some audio test they run through them at the store. I went in complaining about one earbud, but they determined both needed replacing. They're replacing my wife's airpods as well.

If you have them, the easiest test is to put them in with noise cancellation on but music off. Tap each earpod gently. A good one will have a muffled tap, bad will have a bit of a tick. Again they replaced both so even the muffled tap may result in a failed test.

The stuff is so expensive, and there are rarely any price concessions but I don't mind it as much if they follow through like this on issues that would impact the perception of quality.
    yup had mine replaced last week

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    huh. did you notice a spatial audio issue with them at all? I am noticing that after the last update I can't get spatial to work at all with them.

edit: so is the tick like a static tick, or an audible tick? Because I’m getting static when I tap.

also I can’t make them play spatial audio even if I force it and that’s bugging me more than it really should.
    I see the tick as a glitch in the noise detection and offsetting signal production. The output sounds more sharp than its typical muffled reaction to a tap. That's just a really early way to tell. When it gets more advanced it's like there's a mini Atticus in there working the later stages of TBW.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

that’s what i was getting, apple are running a replacement program, some of the inside bits are faulty, so if they were made before a certain date, they will have this issue, take them into yer local Apple Store see if they can run a test

https://support.apple.com/airpods-pr...m-sound-issues

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/14/...ation-problems

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [parasite] View Post
    that’s what i was getting, apple are running a replacement program, some of the inside bits are faulty, so if they were made before a certain date, they will have this issue, take them into yer local Apple Store see if they can run a test

https://support.apple.com/airpods-pr...m-sound-issues

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/14/...ation-problems

it says oct 2020 but I’ve had mine replaced twice. Once after Oct 2020 so they honored it. The case stays the same so perhaps they just track it there but I’d be surprised if they didn’t track that they’d been replaced already with post 10/2020 hardware. So perhaps they’ve drawn a line but are out of goodwill replacing ones that have the issue. Dunno. If anyone is having the issue its worth the try. Worst case you just keep using them w/o noise cancellation.

@allegate I just noticed 15.1 gave the options of spatial audio off, fixed, or head tracked. I don’t think fixed existed. Perhaps you’re stuck on fixed to your head? Swipe down, push down on the volume slider and the option should come up.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

The Apple Thread

there’s a new Firmware update for the airpods range

4C165

Last edited by [parasite]; 12-10-2021 at 04:35 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I just noticed that they've edited the device list on the page.
    What you need
    • AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, AirPods (3rd generation) or Beats Fit Pro
    • iPhone 7 or later, or one of these iPad models:
      • iPad Pro 12.9‑inch (3rd generation) and later
      • iPad Pro 11‑inch
      • iPad Air (3rd generation) and later
      • iPad (6th generation) and later
      • iPad mini (5th generation) and later

• iOS or iPadOS 14 or later
    • Apple TV 4K with tvOS 15
    • MacBook Pro introduced in 2021
    • Audiovisual content from a supported app

I have one of the iPad Pro 2nd gen and that's not listed now. They've also removed the last generation of iPod Touch so I guess they're killing the touch line now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

The Apple Thread

forget this post…

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Welp I guess I won't be buying an ipad as a gift this year...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I just ordered a new M1 Max MacBook Pro. Maxed out.

Im never gonna wait for footage to render again. and im so happy...

2 months out tho. freaking back log on chips I guess.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I kinda went a little crazy, but with justification.

-Purchased an ipad mini last week. Love it! It is my comic reader, media viewer, web broswer and I enjoy playing chess on it. I am going to use this as a 2nd screen doing remote teaching since we are remote again.
    -New iMac. ok, I'm excited. This is my first ever desktop. My dad had some when I was growing up (PCs in the 90s) , but I'm going to be very happy to have that bigger screen real estate. I mainly purchased this for work related stuff (I'm getting annoyed always working on a laptop) but will certainly be enjoying the hell out of it! It's supposed to arrive tomorrow but I expect it to be pushed back a couple days with bad weather hitting this area soon.
    -Airpods Max. saw they were $100 off on a flash sale on Amazon. my sony x4 are showing wear and tear and make a very annoying creeking sound. noise cancellation is vital for me.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I've been debating the new Mini for comics and books but the screen size is what's important to me. Is it a decent experience?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I've been debating the new Mini for comics and books but the screen size is what's important to me. Is it a decent experience?
    I've found it to be the perfect size. It's slightly smaller than a regular comic size. A larger ipad, though the art may look better since it's larger, is much harder to do extended reading on because of it's size. I say that as someone who's use his Pixelbook in tablet mode to read comics, which is the same size as a regular ipad.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Huh. I just wish they were available sooner than February. I like the general idea of the mini in that it uses the pencil so I could carry it around at work and take notes and stuff but my sight is somewhat haphazard up close so I'd also have to always carry a pair of readers with me.

getting old sucks, guys.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Huh. I just wish they were available sooner than February. I like the general idea of the mini in that it uses the pencil so I could carry it around at work and take notes and stuff but my sight is somewhat haphazard up close so I'd also have to always carry a pair of readers with me.

getting old sucks, guys.
    got mine off amazon. ordered it and shipped the next day (last week) . check there.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Got my partner the iPhone 13 Mini for Christmas and she absolutely adores it. I’ve been reading it’s been getting better reviews than the two higher range models.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I love the 12 mini. Sadly it sounds like the 13 mini will be the last of it's size, so I plan on upgrading the 12 mini to the 13 mini when the 14's go on sale and the 13 line will be on discount.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I'm thinking real, real hard about a Mac Studio, after being on a MS stack at home all my life. Unfathomable!

What I know I'd lose:

1) Muscle memory for all my keyboard shortcuts, lost to an operating system designed to be mouse-first, or in some ways now, terminal-first. I started using a Macbook at work in 2013, so I'm not a total noob, but I still think it's the lesser of the two when it comes to discoverability and keyboard-usability. Not interested in a discussion on this point, just stating what I'm going to lose.
    2) Old pirated VST plugins - I've largely gone legit, but there are old session files that I'd probably lose.
    3) Games. I've got an Nvidia-branded GTX 960, it's not groundbreaking in 2022, but it's damn quiet and everything I do play runs great on it. Newest game is probably No Man's Sky. ehh.
    4) Sketchup 2017. Been using free Sketchup for a long time, and it bums me out that they stopped putting that out there. I'm not working on anything profitable, no way I'm paying for it.
    5) Foobar2000. I don't do streaming services, I have MP3s and FLACs.
    6) My Quickfire TK keyboard is definitely a Windows keyboard. Maybe I'm okay with the Mac keyboard. Hate that they all have batteries in them now though.
    7) Upgradability. My desktop machine is a Ship of Theseus that's 11 years old. Where I feel strain is in editing HD video. Sketchup gets a little bumpy sometimes, which seems silly.
    8) My legacy Firewire audio hardware. I have a looooot of rock-solid 2008-era audio I/O for not a lot of money, thanks to Windows focusing so hard on backward compatibility that I can get obsolete (but good quality) equipment running just fine in Windows 10.

Where I'd gain:
    1) It would be a fresh start
    2) Space. It's so tiny, but still has lots of ports - and the ports are modern and diverse.
    3) Speed, but without all the power consumption. Photoshop has always opened nearly instantly on my Macs, while always taking a long time to open on Windows.
    4) The creative software I use is largely cross-compatible between Windows and MacOS. I guess this is point 3, part 2.
    5) Even though I'd have to ditch my ancient but powerful Firewire audio devices, this would open up the world of Thunderbolt and USB-C.

I wish the corresponding Studio Display was... better. At a glance, it seemed like a nice package, but it seems to have whiffed on too many things to warrant the premium price, IMO.

I have to imagine there are going to be gotchas though. Things I wasn't anticipating. And that's holding me back right now. Anyway, wanted to type that up and eject it into the ether, and so here we are.