Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Man's Sky

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

No Man's Sky

Who's heard of this game? I just did yesterday, and it seems insane. It's massive, shockingly huge, like an entire galaxy's worth of star systems. Check out a video for it here:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I've been following it since it was announced, while I'd love to be cool and say "yeah I'm not that excited".. it looks awesome and I can't bloody wait. also 65daysofstatic are doing the soundtrack. Which is bloody perfect.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    What exactly is the lure of this game? It looks dreadfully boring and a one time and done completion.

Just asking as I don't get it.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    What exactly is the lure of this game? It looks dreadfully boring and a one time and done completion.
    It seems to at least be promising the exact opposite of that... to such a huge degree that I feel like it's going to be a let down because it can't live up to the promise. Still, I'm excited to try it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    If it somehow lives up to even a 10th of what they're describing it should be a thoroughly enjoyable experience!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

Just asking as I don't get it.
    it doesnt look like you complete it at all. Its like a mine craft meets spore kind of thing. Its about exploration.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Its about exploration.
    "The undiscovered country"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    from interviews etc the game is essentially about trading, mining, dogfighting and exploring, with you progressing towards the centre of the galaxy to further your/the games story. Lots of people would find that boring, lots would probably enjoy it. As long as doing those things is fun, then yeah.
    It sounds a lot like a neon coloured Elite to me.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm real excited for this game. Like someone else said, if it lives up to even a portion of what they're saying it's going to be then it's going to be awesome.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Game looks amazing, like a dream game you'd think they could make a couple decades from now. Looking forward to this.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

No Man's Sky

OMG BESTEST GAME EVAAR WAIT SEAN IS LIAR THIS IS BULLSHIT FUCK HELLO GAMES.
    said the internet.

In other news I've been playing No Man's Sky. It's pretty nice. It's very pretty for a game that is building itself on maths, the core loop of fly to planet, start running out of fuel, mine planet of resources, trade bits, upgrade bits, get fuel, blast off again oh-wait-what-is-that-ooooh-alien-monoliths-land-again-shit-i-forgot-to-recharge-my-take-off-engine-mine-for-more-fuel, then jump to a new system... is really pretty nice.

It's like Elite with complexity stripped out and cool art put in. I'm totally fine with that (I'm sure others arn't).

also the soundtrack. essentially the new album by 65daysofstatic is totally divine. As a CD (I ordered the vinyl, my first for nearly 3 years) it works well, but is woven into the game masterfully. (I used my pulse engines to fly directly at a space station, with turn off when you get too close to big objects, as they kicked off, the whole score went into huge guitars and synths, as my screen filled with the vast alien structure. It was cool as shit.) Even if you don't like/want the game I suggest checking out the band/album as they have been one of my favs for nearly 10 years, and it's great hearing them get such a big boost.

So, big, divisive, and the internet is basically on fire, and I just threw another log in.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm really interested in picking this up, but the huge divisiveness (and lack of online component) are telling me that waiting a month will have me finding a used copy for 30 bucks or so, and there's other games I need to catch up on (Doom, I am Setsuna, Overwatch, incoming DLC for Uncharted 4 and Dark Souls 3, random handful of indie games...)

At some point I'll definitely play it though... It really does look like my kind of thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

No Man's Sky

This game is fantastic. People are bitching about no online component but who cares when there's a whole fucking universe to explore? I'm having so much fun just exploring and warping to other star systems. If I can ever get a damn Atlas Pass I'll stop missing out on all the valuable shit behind locked doors in space stations

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    How's the soundtrack? Any similar to Silent Running?
    65daysofstatic are doing No Man's Sky tour this fall, I wonder if it worth checking out?

edit: didn't realize it's already out on its own
    Last edited by fillow; 08-11-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Soundtrack seems pretty good from what I've heard in game. Very subtle background noise

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    The game is cool, but not worth $60 imo.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I think it's worth every penny, could be right up there with my favorite games of all time. I've played for about 15 hours and barely started going to the center yet. I can see why a lot of people aren't digging it though, very repetitive and grindy, but I really don't have a problem with it. I can burn a few hours in one star system just fucking around without even noticing and love every second of it. Far from a perfect game or even everything they said it was going to be, but it gives the space nerd in me everything it needs. I mean, I flew through a black hole last night and it was fucking awesome.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 08-12-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I spoiled what happens when you go to the center and I've decided not to go, instead I'll build a network in kind of a sphere shape so that I can revisit my travels.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Found an awesome moon last night. There is gold everywhere, giant boulders of it. I named it Gold Moon cause I'm super creative. Gonna farm it to get my suit inventory completely upgraded and buy a ship with a lot more space. There are also tons of animals, more than I've seen on any other planet, let alone a moon. Only need to scan 1 or 2 more for 100%.

I love this game so freaking much.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Haha, there are definitely some weird ass animals out there.

Also, I bought the soundtrack today. It's really good, but I don't recall hearing any of it in the actual game.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 08-17-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    haven't played the game but the soundtrack is the only thing I listen to these days. It's great.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Haha, there are definitely some weird ass animals out there.

Also, I bought the soundtrack today. It's really good, but I don't recall hearing any of it in the actual game.
    A few bits play out in the beginning, but the band pretty much said they wrote the album, which then got broken into pieces to be put together on the fly. Disc 2 is the more ambient stuff they did if you have got that.
    Gonna get tickets to see em soon, one of my favorite live bands!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    A few bits play out in the beginning, but the band pretty much said they wrote the album, which then got broken into pieces to be put together on the fly. Disc 2 is the more ambient stuff they did if you have got that.
    Gonna get tickets to see em soon, one of my favorite live bands!
    I do have the second disc and it's great. Which of their albums do you recommend? I'd love to hear more of their stuff.

I just got the warp reactor tau upgrade. Gotta check out some new star color systems

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I do have the second disc and it's great. Which of their albums do you recommend? I'd love to hear more of their stuff.
    Their sound evolved progressively so the most recent releases sound more similar to No Man's Sky (Wild Light (2013) and Silent Running (2011)), if that's what you're looking for.
    Overall, as a fan, I can only recommend to check all of their proper albums because all of them are super awesome. They also have a bunch of EPs and outtake compilations which I'd only recommend to check at the very end (some pretty random stuff they've put there).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Their sound evolved progressively so the most recent releases sound more similar to No Man's Sky (Wild Light (2013) and Silent Running (2011)), if that's what you're looking for.
    Overall, as a fan, I can only recommend to check all of their proper albums because all of them are super awesome. They also have a bunch of EPs and outtake compilations which I'd only recommend to check at the very end (some pretty random stuff they've put there).
    Thanks. I think I'll start with their most recent albums and work backwards.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm going to borrow this from a friend who assures me it "completely fucking sucks." I've never seen people so mad about how much a game let them down...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm going to borrow this from a friend who assures me it "completely fucking sucks." I've never seen people so mad about how much a game let them down...
    People are really freaking out and I don't understand it. Reading Reddit makes it seem like Hello Games straight up conned people into buying the game. It's ridiculous.

The game is everything I was expecting/wanted. It could obviously be better, no game is perfect, and there are tons of things they said would be in it that aren't, but it doesn't even bother me. It's incredibly fun. I don't think flying to another star system to see what the planets will be like is ever going to get old for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have a copy for PS4 that had 4 hours of play time. I haven't touched it since release day. PM if interested. Will trade for NIN stuff.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks. I think I'll start with their most recent albums and work backwards.
    I liked Silent Running, but Wild Light and We Were Exploding Anyway are my favourites. Thier first album Fall of Math sounds a bit flat these days but the music is great, One Time For All Time is also good. Hell work backwards, I can't fault the band.

Edit:
    I'd completely forgotten about Polinski's (Paul from 65days) album Labyrinths. It's like a more electronic and dancey 65days. The lead single featured Big Black Delta too, so thats a thing. Its great.

No Man's Sky update! I followed the Atlas quest to the end but had accidently sold 2 of my Atlas Stones, now I need to grind millions to buy them from traders D:
    Last edited by liquidcalm; 08-24-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: extra babble