Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    Is it for the music streaming? Cue comparisons to Spotify and how Beats only has like 100,000 subscribers.
    It has to be the streaming, I don't think the low number of subscribers is a problem. Apple will sprinkle it with their magic, integrate it with iOS and will quickly have millions on board.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    They definitely aren't buying it for the headphones. They're losing their ass with music downloads and they can't figure streaming out. So beats makes sense for them.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Digging the Yosemite changes and currently downloading the iOS 8 beta for my iPhone 5. Now all I need is someone with a developer account to register my UDID...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbron View Post
    Digging the Yosemite changes and currently downloading the iOS 8 beta for my iPhone 5. Now all I need is someone with a developer account to register my UDID...
    I have one of those. You can PM me UDID.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Yosemite looks great, can't wait for the public betas this summer.

Continuity is some mind-blowing shit, really. I know it's not actually all that revolutionary, but it's still like "CALL people? with your REGULAR PHONE NUMBER? through a COMPUTER? WHAAAAT?"

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    What is everyone using to monitor their finances on a Mac? I'm torn between Quicken and iBank at the moment and I'd like to get some input from those of you who use these programs. Other than price, what's the major difference between the two? I'm mainly looking to monitor my bank accounts, bills, and credit cards all-in-one and have it be as easy as possible.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    RIP Macbook Air (2011-2014)

Cracked screen. Fuck. I'm just gonna get a Pro during No Tax Weekend.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    What is everyone using to monitor their finances on a Mac? I'm torn between Quicken and iBank at the moment and I'd like to get some input from those of you who use these programs. Other than price, what's the major difference between the two? I'm mainly looking to monitor my bank accounts, bills, and credit cards all-in-one and have it be as easy as possible.

Thanks!
    For my corporation I use quickbooks. Just switched to quickbooks online. For personal finances I use mint. It syncs with my quickbooks online.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    WTF is up with iTunes tracks cutting short...even on iPhone sometimes...

Please.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    ^^^
    I've never had that happen before. Maybe reinstall itunes?

Who here uses a battery case for their iPhone 5/5s? I need one just to hold me over until the iPhone 6 comes out so I'm looking to go cheap as possible without going TOO cheap. I'd also like it to use the lightning cable for charging the case rather than microUSB. I've googled a bunch of 'top 10' lists but most of those list the $80+ cases. Hopefully someone on here can point me in the direction of a cheaper alternative...

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    They definitely aren't buying it for the headphones. They're losing their ass with music downloads and they can't figure streaming out. So beats makes sense for them.
    Match is decent.... if they gave it any goddamned attention. I can't believe I am still paying for that bullshit when it takes hours/days to match a handful of track additions.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Match is decent.... if they gave it any goddamned attention. I can't believe I am still paying for that bullshit when it takes hours/days to match a handful of track additions.
    LOL, yeah, each time I wanted to cancel it, I went "ummmm ... wait ... I trashed my hard drive, I don't wanna have to re-rip all that ..."

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    LOL, yeah, each time I wanted to cancel it, I went "ummmm ... wait ... I trashed my hard drive, I don't wanna have to re-rip all that ..."
    lol. Exactly. I mean, I could just download all my stuff on a single machine and have an awesome bitrate upgrade but... Effort.

I also tell myself it's paid off by letting me pull quite a few high quality versions of unreleased music (especially NIN) that I happen to get audio finger prints of a bit early.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Got a new sexy 21.5 inch iMac today! 1TB HDD. <33333

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Got a new sexy 21.5 inch iMac today! 1TB HDD. <33333
    Congrats!!!!

When is the iPhone 6 gonna roll out? I haven't heard any release dates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    from macrumors:

"Rumors suggest Apple may stagger the launch of the iPhone 6, introducing the 4.7-inch model in September and following that launch with the 5.5-inch version later in the year. "

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    been loving my mac air. however i got the 4gb ram, i'm really thinking of returning before the return period ends and upgrading to 8gb.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    been loving my mac air. however i got the 4gb ram, i'm really thinking of returning before the return period ends and upgrading to 8gb.
    I would, but even 8GB isn't really enough for me.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neveroddoreven View Post
    from macrumors:

"Rumors suggest Apple may stagger the launch of the iPhone 6, introducing the 4.7-inch model in September and following that launch with the 5.5-inch version later in the year. "
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. My iPhone is going to shit. I have to charge it at least 3 times a day. I don't know how long I can hold out. Shit, I'm gonna give Tim Cook a call.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    well that's as high as the mac air goes.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Depends on what you're doing. I have 16 gigs of ram in my laptop, and I run a program that shows me how much I'm using.

If I had twenty grand lying around right now, I'd probably make a rash decision and run out and buy a trashcan tower and throw as much ram in it as it could take, then I'd buy a UAD Satellite and a ton of plugins for it. It's nice to want things.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    well that's as high as the mac air goes.
    Yeah, unfortunately. That's probably the main reason I didn't think about buying one. I can understand the integrated graphics and slower CPU, but not why they capped it at 8GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Depends on what you're doing. I have 16 gigs of ram in my laptop, and I run a program that shows me how much I'm using.

If I had twenty grand lying around right now, I'd probably make a rash decision and run out and buy a trashcan tower and throw as much ram in it as it could take, then I'd buy a UAD Satellite and a ton of plugins for it. It's nice to want things.
    So far I'm good with the 16GB in this MBP. I can give half of it to Windows 7 (in VMware, which runs hella fast now) and still have enough for Chrome, Photoshop and whatnot. I don't feel like I'm making compromises using it for my day job anymore.

But that doesn't stop me from daydreaming about a maxed-out Mac Pro.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    In need of a mac expert for my current issue......

Whenever I click on a browser, my dock station and status bar disappear. The only way to get it back is to move my mouse up to where the status bar is and click until it pops back up. I've checked all of my flags in Chrome and I did the SystemUIserver trick which brings it back for about 10 minutes, but then it reverts back to disappearing. Here are screen shots to show you what I'm talking about:

Dock is shown:

Dock is missing:

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    94 notifications?! Jesus Christ!

What OS System you got going?

Put the mouse over where the dock normally is, right click > turn off hiding

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    In need of a mac expert for my current issue......

Whenever I click on a browser, my dock station and status bar disappear. The only way to get it back is to move my mouse up to where the status bar is and click until it pops back up. I've checked all of my flags in Chrome and I did the SystemUIserver trick which brings it back for about 10 minutes, but then it reverts back to disappearing.
    That's a bit weird. Just out of curiosity, what happens if you turn on Hide Notifications Icon (in the Chrome menu)? I really hate that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    94 notifications?! Jesus Christ!
    I got 99 notifications … but I'm too old to attempt a lame Jay-Z reference.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I may have mentioned this before and have done a fair bit of interneting on the topic to no avail. My disc drive in my MBP '11 is getting really bad about playing DVD's. Burned ones are no issue and some older ones i have seem to work fine as well but an ever increasing number of the ones i own and check out won't play. It spins up and try's to load but usually just boots them back out. I have abused this drive as it's been my tv/dvd player for the last few years so i get it may just be getting worn out. If there is some kind of fix for it however i would be pleased to find out, also I'm curious if installing a new drive would be something i could do or would i need to take it in?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Replacing the drive isn't a big deal. You just need the right tiny screwdrivers:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...placement/5904

(You can also plug in a USB drive, but then you have to do a minor hack of the DVD Player app to make it recognize the drive.)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Sweet link! I think when i get around to swapping my drive out i may as well do some other upgrades as well.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    If you haven't maxed out the memory yet, do that. And then put an SSD in there if you can afford it — even if it's not as fast as a PCIe SSD, compared to a hard drive it will absolutely scream.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/

iPhone 6 unveil here in a little more than an hour.