Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbron View Post
    I'm probably picking up a new MacBook Pro 15" this weekend. I'll be using Windows 8 on it as much or more than OS X, anyone else using Win 7 or 8 on a newer Mac? Thoughts? I'm really looking forward to this even though I'm not thrilled to spend so much on a computer. Oh well, between the build quality, battery life and DISPLAY (!!!!!), I'm sold.
    You can get a refurbished one for as low as $1600: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC975LL/A

That's how I got mine. It's obviously not the latest model (I also got a 2012 rMBP in 2013 and I have no regrets about it). I haven't run Win 8 through it, but I can tell you, it's a fantastic computer.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 03-17-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'm probably picking up a new MacBook Pro 15" this weekend. I'll be using Windows 8 on it as much or more than OS X, anyone else using Win 7 or 8 on a newer Mac? Thoughts? I'm really looking forward to this even though I'm not thrilled to spend so much on a computer. Oh well, between the build quality, battery life and DISPLAY (!!!!!), I'm sold.
    I have a MacBook Pro 15" and do have Win 7 and Ubuntu on it.

It's not bad. Windows works fine on boot camp. Yes even with Steam.
    Ubuntu is on VMWare Fusion 6.

If you are getting the new Retina display models, I suggest go purchase an 8gb flash drive as you would have to place the ISO into it to install via boot camp.

If you're doing the Parrallels method then no need on the thumb drive.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    I have a MacBook Pro 15" and do have Win 7 and Ubuntu on it.

It's not bad. Windows works fine on boot camp. Yes even with Steam.
    Ubuntu is on VMWare Fusion 6.

If you are getting the new Retina display models, I suggest go purchase an 8gb flash drive as you would have to place the ISO into it to install via boot camp.

If you're doing the Parrallels method then no need on the thumb drive.
    Good to hear as Steam is something I'll likely use on the Windows side. I haven't purchased a new copy of Win 8 yet but plan on doing the download version since I have no need for a copy on optical media and have plenty of large thumb drives laying around. Corel Draw (Adobe fan here, but Illustrator just doesn't give me the vector control that I require for work like Corel does, sadly), Steam and some software for my new laser cutter/engraver are my main reasons for wanting to work in Windows. I just can't pass on the quality and power in these new MacBooks. Been spending a lot of time on my girlfriend's 13" MacBook Pro with retina and it's absolutely fantastic. I might look more into Parallels. If it works as well as running Windows from Boot Camp does, I may consider it since I'd be able to avoid rebooting each time I wanted to switch OSs.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Good to hear as Steam is something I'll likely use on the Windows side. I haven't purchased a new copy of Win 8 yet but plan on doing the download version since I have no need for a copy on optical media and have plenty of large thumb drives laying around. Corel Draw (Adobe fan here, but Illustrator just doesn't give me the vector control that I require for work like Corel does, sadly), Steam and some software for my new laser cutter/engraver are my main reasons for wanting to work in Windows. I just can't pass on the quality and power in these new MacBooks. Been spending a lot of time on my girlfriend's 13" MacBook Pro with retina and it's absolutely fantastic. I might look more into Parallels. If it works as well as running Windows from Boot Camp does, I may consider it since I'd be able to avoid rebooting each time I wanted to switch OSs.
    Purchase your computer from BH: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Any MacBook Pro purchase comes with a copy of Parallels 9 for FREE. Yes, the latest software comes with it for FREE.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Picked up the MacBook Pro yesterday and bought a digital copy of Windows 8.1. Installed flawlessly and everything is wonderful. This is certainly some top of the line hardware, every last bit of it. UNF. I'm going to stick with running it via Boot Camp and skipping Parallels. I don't actually think I'll be using OS X much at all. Happy I can if I want to, but I've been very happy with Windows since 7 and 8, so I see no need to bother.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Speaking of OS X, I installed Mavericks and I fucking hate the shit.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Picked up the MacBook Pro yesterday and bought a digital copy of Windows 8.1. Installed flawlessly and everything is wonderful. This is certainly some top of the line hardware, every last bit of it. UNF. I'm going to stick with running it via Boot Camp and skipping Parallels. I don't actually think I'll be using OS X much at all. Happy I can if I want to, but I've been very happy with Windows since 7 and 8, so I see no need to bother.
    um, so why on earth did you buy a macbook pro? you could've just bought yourself a high end lenovo.

this is very odd indeed

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    um, so why on earth did you buy a macbook pro? you could've just bought yourself a high end lenovo.

this is very odd indeed
    I'd looked at other options but whenever I found anything close to the power and overall quality of the MacBook Pro, I was going to be spending nearly as much anyway. I went with this so I'd have the ability to use OS X if I needed/wanted. I will probably use Apple's OS here and there, maybe an OS X for play, Windows 8 for work.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    New work mac air. Old one is from 2010. Looks near identical from outside but massively faster, backlit keyboard etc. Very nice. It might even cope with borderlands 2.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Ps I know someone who works for Microsoft but uses MacBook pros, albeit running windows. Makes a lot of sense, great hardware, ace screen, build quality great, MagSafe, easy to get spare chargers later that work from anywhere and don't take up much room in a travel bag...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Fucking apple... After the update my last gen iPad mini rips through battery life. I can't stand this inadequate battery life situation . They need to figure something better out.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Yep, battery life on my iPhone went down the toilet after the last update.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    My iPhone went down the toilet period after the last update.

It's suuuper slow now. The only thing preventing me from asking for a new iphone is my anger that would explode if I step into an apple store.

Just got an email about renewing applecare which is running out: I have an imac. I don't know if it's worth it or not. I suppose it is.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks to some cash I wasn’t expecting, I’m finally replacing my MacBook Pro with a high-end Retina model (refurbed, which saved me $400). Looking forward to that 16GB RAM and having a real GPU again — after five years of integrated graphics, I’ve done my time.

And I guess I’d better get new glasses so I can actually see how nice the screen is.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    What was the final price tag for that Pro?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    $2,199:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE...retina-display

They also have the absolute top of the line model for $2,799 — tempting, but this one one fits my needs very well.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    So I have a question for you jailbreakers out there. I just got a warranty replacement iPhone 5 from Apple and its still running 6.1.4. I'd like to upgrade to 7.0.6 so I can get the benefits of the new iOS but still retain the ability for a jailbreak. How can I go about installing the IPSW for 7.0.6 manually? I tried downloading the update and then I put the phone into DFU mode. When iTunes asked to restore, I held down Option button and searched for the update. It will start to install only to fail around the 40% mark. A little window will pop up saying that "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build." Is Apple blocking the ability to update devices to older versions of iOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    $2,199:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE...retina-display

They also have the absolute top of the line model for $2,799 — tempting, but this one one fits my needs very well.
    Sweet baby Jesus, those specs are sexy as hell!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Last time I upgraded the software on my iphone it turned into the agonizing, wretchedly slow device it is today.
    Will the new upgrade make it even slower, speed it up, or keep it as slow as it is atm?
    I am noticing various bugs and glitches right now.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    So I have a question for you jailbreakers out there. I just got a warranty replacement iPhone 5 from Apple and its still running 6.1.4. I'd like to upgrade to 7.0.6 so I can get the benefits of the new iOS but still retain the ability for a jailbreak. How can I go about installing the IPSW for 7.0.6 manually? I tried downloading the update and then I put the phone into DFU mode. When iTunes asked to restore, I held down Option button and searched for the update. It will start to install only to fail around the 40% mark. A little window will pop up saying that "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build." Is Apple blocking the ability to update devices to older versions of iOS?
    I take it you have tiny umbrella, make sure the tiny umbrella server is . Yes apple is blocking older versions, tiny umbrella blocks it from talking to the apple servers
    Last edited by Louie_Cypher; 05-01-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added info

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    If you have an iPhone 5, like myself, you might want to check to see if the sleep/power button needs to be replaced.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    That just shows if it's eligible. If it's working fine and you go to the store they won't replace or fix anything.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    So apple is buying beats. Wonder what that means for the old Rezbox.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, I downloaded the AATCHB tv special, and I'm trying to get it so I can watch it on my Apple TV. I know I can convert the .vob files to be compatible with iTunes, however is there any way to group them all into one file to basically make the Apple TV view it as a DVD, or am I stuck with separate files for each chapter/segment on the DVD?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Use handbrake. There's a setting for Apple TV

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Does anyone know why Safari is trying to install Adblock without my instructing it to do so?

EDIT: I think I figured it out. I had installed Adblock ages ago, then disabled it almost immediately; looks it was trying - and failing - to upgrade itself, so I uninstalled it.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 05-12-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I was going nuts over the weekend trying to pin down the source of an insane battery drain on my iPad. But by sheer "coincidence," the same thing was happening to my boss's iPhone — and that helped me narrow it down to her Exchange email account, which I also monitor.

Moral of the story: If you don't need Push email, turn it off.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    So Apple bought Beats. Just confirmed. it will be interesting to see how this plays out and what their plans are. I will be at WWDC monday, Should be an interesting week!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Awesome to see Dr. Dre and Tim Cook together in one picture: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/28/apple-buys-beats/

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    The most interesting and entertaining thing about the Apple Buying Beats story has been watching the wild speculation as to why Apple is doing this. Is it for the headphones? Cue people decrying the headphones as mediocre at best. Is it for the music streaming? Cue comparisons to Spotify and how Beats only has like 100,000 subscribers. Would Steve Jobs ever let something like this happen?!?! Apple needs to appeal to a younger demographic! Apple has too much cash on hand, so why not? etc. etc. etc.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Everyone here is talking about Macs, and i'm just sitting here playing Battlefield 4 on ultra settings 60 fps.
    Last edited by GlitchyFlame; 05-28-2014 at 04:51 PM.