Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny Puppy

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Skinny Puppy

Every now and then I'll put on Mythmaker (listened to it a little earlier). And from the time I first heard it to now, my opinion hasn't really changed. Usually, my opinion changes somewhat, even if its just a little bit. Not this one. I find it boring for the most part. I remember a few people disliking the second half. I actually think the second half was far better than the dull first half.

And I like GWOTR. But that one is really just a heavier ohGr album. Love ohGr. But, I don't want to listen to two bands and hear the exact same thing.

And if I remember correctly, Walk was only one three tracks for HanDover, which could be the reason I like it more than the other two. It doesn't sound like an ohGr album. Obviously, there's going to be some characteristics in the two. But, musically I hope for something different from the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wasn't handover actually quite heavily based on some unused ohgr songs? Or was it vice-versa, with undeveloped being unused puppy songs?

I remember the lines between the two got quite blurred at that point. Brownstone being ogre's ohgr (ugh) persona and appearing on handover, for example.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

UnDeveloped were throw aways from HanDover. If I remember right, while their label was going through their bankruptcy, cEvin had finished an album (which some had become unDeveloped) and decided to do another one which ended up being HanDover. I'm sure stuff from the original album ended up on both.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Awesome news. I still have yet to even listen to HanDover!
    Undeveloped was cool: best Ohgr album since the debut.
    I also dig GWOTTR and Mythmaker.
    And there's this: http://www.underthegunreview.net/201...-side-project/ hope it happens with or without Frusciante.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Really looking forward to Weapon! I've liked mostly all of their newer stuff as well so I expect this to be good as well. Handover has been the best one of the 2000's puppy work.

Still my favourite SP albums are Too Dark Park, Cleanse Fold & Manipulate and The Process.

The new live album is awesome by the way.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I'm always going to be biased towards VivisectVI and Remission. Harsh Stone White is possibly my favorite song of theirs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Information about Weapon:

Due out May 28 on Metropolis Records, the album finds Skinny Puppy — niVek ohGr, cEvin Key and Mark Walk — melding electro, industrial, New Wave and rock sounds via what the band refers to as “simple and direct songwriting with strong abstract themes that correlate to the deeper concepts within the recording.”Of the band’s decision to address gun violence as the album’s central theme, Ogre says:
    “Weapons and pharmaceuticals become the last bastion of investment wealth, the last stop for manufacturing in a crumbling power system still promoting mutual assured destruction. To maim, sicken and control, by genetically radiating and bombing populations back to the Stone Age; then manage the mutations through new medicines while claiming the race for a cure of this self-inflicted environmental disease is right around the corner… Weapons then procure the evolutionary next step. We are weapons.”
    The album will be released on CD as well as limited-edition, 180-gram audiophile vinyl.
    Tracklist:
    1. “Wornin’”
    2. “IllisiT”
    3. “SaLvo”
    4. “GLowbeL”
    5. “Solvent”
    6. “ParagUn”
    7. “Survivalisto”
    8. “Tsudanama”
    9. “PlastiCage”
    10. “Terminal”

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Some samples from Weapon is anyone is interested.

So far, I'm liking what I'm hearing.

http://www.junodownload.com/products...-02/?trackid=1

Also it seems like Solvent from Weapon is a remake of Solvent from Remission.
    Last edited by nemesiswontdie; 04-30-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Liking those samples as well. One month to go.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Weapon > handover

Damnit I love Illisit.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 04-30-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Thought it leaked for a second... i'll pass on samples. rather have a fresh unbiased listen with the full album the first time through, the best way to do it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Only listened to the first song, but damn... not what I was expecting. Like it a lot. Old school!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    wow throwback to the good ol days. diggin it.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    The first song seems a little too self-aware in its intention to sound like Rabies-era Skinny Puppy... and that seems like an easy way to appeal to older fans who have disliked the newer material, but I'm going to withhold any opinion until I've heard the album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow, those snippets are long..haha.

I'd say this is more my style than the last couple of releases, so I'll definitely pick this one up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am fucking excited about this! I think Handover is the best album since the process, and probably better on a technical level. From the samples though, this one sounds like experience of Handover applied to Bites/Remission/Mind:TPI. Fucking. Awesome.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    A very unexpected direction. I too think they'll get a lot of their old fanbase back with this, and with good reason. Liking it a lot so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The first song seems a little too self-aware in its intention to sound like Rabies-era Skinny Puppy... and that seems like an easy way to appeal to older fans who have disliked the newer material, but I'm going to withhold any opinion until I've heard the album.
    Remission you mean? Definitely does have that sound, no beating around the bush. I think it's pretty cool, though. Haven't heard the rest, but I'm hoping it's not just this first song that has this retro flavouring (i.e. Ovirt from Handover).

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, if you guys are saying it's back to the gritty synthpop of remission/bites, i'm definitely looking forward to the record. the early stuff is still their best material, says the club DJ.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Loving the retro feel. If I remember correctly, hanDover was originally going to be 8-bit/retro sounding (beyond the vault inspired).

Either way. I loved hanDover. And from the samples I heard (not all of them), I'll probably enjoy the new one as well.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    full version of paragUn

pretty awesome actually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Does anyone have the samples somewhere? I totally missed them and I'd like to hear them. paragUn sounds awesome!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konkelo View Post
    Does anyone have the samples somewhere? I totally missed them and I'd like to hear them. paragUn sounds awesome!
    I posted them up above.

ParagUn sounds fantastic. I'm definitely pumped for this album.

EDIT: Looks like the samplers were taken down. I'm not exactly sure where to look for another one.
    Last edited by nemesiswontdie; 05-02-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This shit bumps hard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
    I posted them up above.

ParagUn sounds fantastic. I'm definitely pumped for this album.

EDIT: Looks like the samplers were taken down. I'm not exactly sure where to look for another one.
    Yeah they're down... Well, maybe it's good not to hear them now before I can hear the album in full!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    https://m.7digital.com/US/releases/2702196/?lang=en

The samples are back online, sounds FANTASTIC! There's definitely old school vibe (remission/bites era) going on. Very interesting!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Pretty crazy that this still hasn't leaked. Good on them. Also, goddammit.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    Pretty crazy that this still hasn't leaked. Good on them. Also, goddammit.
    Week to go...

The new DEP album leaked 6 days before release so anything is still possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Week to go...

The new DEP album leaked 6 days before release so anything is still possible.
    Is it so soon already?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I thought it came out on the 28th... did they up the release to the week before instead?