Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 79

Thread: With Teeth Demos???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    With Teeth Demos???

    Anybody know where I might be able to hear these?

    Thank you,
    Wes

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,111
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Nope. I've never heard of them existing in any form, and I highly doubt they do. Bleedthrough probably had a few demo tracks fleshed out, but even if Trent kept them, they've never been made available.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,328
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    I'm not aware of any With Teeth demos. There was rampant speculation when "Getting Smaller" and "The Line Begins to Blur" were leaked, that they were 'unmastered' or 'unfinished' tracks. People swearing up and down that in no way could this possibly be a finished NIN track. I'm pretty sure at least one person left ETS after With Teeth came out in relation to the noise they made about how the final version wouldn't be nearly so stripped down.

    The only hints that I recall we have about With Teeth demos come from the copyright office, where, for example, Love Is Not Enough is also referenced as "The Clamp".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chekhov, Russia
    Posts
    1,991
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    there are rehearsals (entire With Teeth), outtakes (Not so pretty now, Non-entity, probable but unconfirmed The warning), unused lyrics (PDF poster), what else to be expected honestly?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,442
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    ...probable but unconfirmed The warning...
    I think if anything from The Warning has its origins in With Teeth, it would be some of the lyrics (especially the part where he sings about "so much potential, or so they used to say", which is a theme you hear in Not So Pretty Now as well). I can't see that whole song being an outtake from With Teeth since it's very much a Year Zero-style song. In fact, aside from the Demos and Remixes/Purest Feeling bootleg and the demos on the Deluxe Edition of The Downward Spiral, I would say that they've done a pretty good job of keeping demos and outtakes under lock and key.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    2,243
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I think if anything from The Warning has its origins in With Teeth, it would be some of the lyrics (especially the part where he sings about "so much potential, or so they used to say", which is a theme you hear in Not So Pretty Now as well). I can't see that whole song being an outtake from With Teeth since it's very much a Year Zero-style song. In fact, aside from the Demos and Remixes/Purest Feeling bootleg and the demos on the Deluxe Edition of The Downward Spiral, I would say that they've done a pretty good job of keeping demos and outtakes under lock and key.
    "The Warning" was listed on the WT lyrics PDF w/o lyrics - suggesting it was an instrumental. It may have nothing more in common with YZ's "The Warning" than the name. http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Warning_(With_Teeth_song)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chekhov, Russia
    Posts
    1,991
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    uh-oh, shouldn't have mentioned that Warning song :-[

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,579
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    uh-oh, shouldn't have mentioned that Warning song :-[

    It's okay, you're not in trouble. We'll let you off with a warning this time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,246
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    The only hints that I recall we have about With Teeth demos come from the copyright office, where, for example, Love Is Not Enough is also referenced as "The Clamp".
    Hell, yeah!

    Thanks, I thought I was gonna know everything that was in this thread already but went ahead and clicked-in anyway and this was completely new to me.

    Took a minute to figure out but I'd bet money that's a reference to a VEIN CLAMP:





    WELL, IT HIDES IN THE DARK
    JUST LIKE THE WITHERING VEIN
    WE DIDN'T GIVE IT A MOUTH, NO
    SO IT COULD NOT COMPLAIN







    Fucking BRILLIANT songwriting imagery there, goddamn.

    O_O

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Whoa-- I'll have to look for those rehearsals.

    I asked because I was watching this interview with Mr. R
    and he mentioned getting positive feedback from DGrohl on the Demos.


    Im new to the Internet

    So I appreciate the feedback

    Thank you

    I believe it's this one or Part I
    Last edited by Wes; 05-12-2015 at 04:44 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,246
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    ^ Neat!

    Back to the vein clamp thing for just a sec, it occurred to me after I logged out that the title-change from "The Clamp" probably went hand-in-hand with the title-change from bleedthrough.

    Just made a LOT of sense all of a sudden and I thought I should add that, too.

    :)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,111
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Bleedthrough is a theme that still exists in With Teeth: he mentions a desire for the audio to bleed through different tracks, and so we have all the songs mentioning each other, sharing phrases and even mentioning PHM (in the case of Only). I keep forgetting to write up a master post for how all the songs link.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,042
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    He mentioned recording demos with just a piano and a drum machine, didn't he?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,210
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I'm pretty sure at least one person left ETS after With Teeth came out in relation to the noise they made about how the final version wouldn't be nearly so stripped down.
    haha wow
    the internet is serious fucking business!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Bleedthrough is a theme that still exists in With Teeth: he mentions a desire for the audio to bleed through different tracks, and so we have all the songs mentioning each other, sharing phrases and even mentioning PHM (in the case of Only). I keep forgetting to write up a master post for how all the songs link.
    That is such an amazing concept for an album.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chekhov, Russia
    Posts
    1,991
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    sheepdean:
    ...I keep forgetting to write up a master post for how all the songs link.


    make it a chart on a chalkboard like they do it in detective movies!
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 02-11-2012 at 01:32 AM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Bleedthrough is a theme that still exists in With Teeth: he mentions a desire for the audio to bleed through different tracks, and so we have all the songs mentioning each other, sharing phrases and even mentioning PHM (in the case of Only). I keep forgetting to write up a master post for how all the songs link.
    Trent was supposed to write just that, "a long essay," and supply it with the "changed" version of the With Teeth package that was supposed to happen over the course of the tour, but never happened.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    a warm place
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Bleedthrough is a theme that still exists in With Teeth: he mentions a desire for the audio to bleed through different tracks, and so we have all the songs mentioning each other, sharing phrases and even mentioning PHM (in the case of Only). I keep forgetting to write up a master post for how all the songs link.
    he also references TDS on Sunspots. and he says 'bleeding through' in EDIETS, and BYIT.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    I heard one of those "friend of a friend" tales from someone who supposedly worked with Trent and listened to the demos, saying they were nothing like the finished product. Trent did remark early on the album was going to be something like "13 hard punches to the face", which I think we all can agree, With Teeth was not. Can't say if there is any truth to the story though.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I always wanted to hear the track MY DEAD FRIEND. When news he was making Bleedthrough came out in 2003 he said he had written a track with that that title. But with my dead friend Meathead created an image of a deeply ,deeply psychologically disturbed 5 year old Trenty Reznor in 1970 drawing that picture and handing it to his teacher, it was genius........Yeah....that wait for With Teeth seemed to go on for a long long time!!!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,985
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Trent was supposed to write just that, "a long essay," and supply it with the "changed" version of the With Teeth package that was supposed to happen over the course of the tour, but never happened.
    Because they did all of that WAY better in the Year Zero ARG.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Posts
    2,771
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I think somewhere its been mentioned that "My Dead Friend" became "Beside you in Time" but I could be wrong...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,020
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    There are still a couple missing tracks according to that With_Teeth lyrics poster though.
    Mainly "The Life you didn't lead".
    "The Warning" was also a title there, but one could argue that become the warning on Year_Zero, but I highly doubt that. As Trent wasn't quite in that musical mindframe during the writing of With_Teeth that came from Year Zero.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    There are still a couple missing tracks according to that With_Teeth lyrics poster though.
    Mainly "The Life you didn't lead".
    "The Warning" was also a title there, but one could argue that become the warning on Year_Zero, but I highly doubt that. As Trent wasn't quite in that musical mindframe during the writing of With_Teeth that came from Year Zero.
    If I remember correctly, he said he'd written Year Zero entirely on the road during the 2005-2006 tours and I don't think it's Trent's style to just recycle songs from one session for the next album

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,752
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefinite_Cure View Post
    I don't think it's Trent's style to just recycle songs from one session for the next album
    Demon Seed

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Demon Seed
    Does that really count?

    I mean, Ghosts I-IV and The Slip were written basically during the same session...more or less

    Ok, I give you that one, argument withdrawn.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    There are still a couple missing tracks according to that With_Teeth lyrics poster though.
    Mainly "The Life you didn't lead".
    "The Warning" was also a title there
    I still wonder if the With Teeth lyrics poster wasn't intended to be a gateway into an ARG that never took off (for any number of reasons).

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    446
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Whoa-- I'll have to look for those rehearsals.

    I asked because I was watching this interview with Mr. R
    and he mentioned getting positive feedback from DGrohl on the Demos.


    Im new to the Internet (at28)and don't really know my way around.

    So I appreciate the feedback

    Thank you

    I believe it's this one or Part I
    Here are the rehearsals if you're interested.

    http://www.mediafire.com/?84beru4eizoq91r

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,985
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    I still wonder if the With Teeth lyrics poster wasn't intended to be a gateway into an ARG that never took off (for any number of reasons).
    Absolutely. The text from those Bleedthrough-era nin.com pages suggests an embryonic version of the idea that fuelled the ARG was in progress as early as 2004. You could point to even-older versions of the website, too. It's something they were working on for a long, long time.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    I still wonder if the With Teeth lyrics poster wasn't intended to be a gateway into an ARG that never took off (for any number of reasons).
    Remember there was a question submitted to the /access section of NIN.com aeons ago asking about those three tracks and Trent's response was simply: "?"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions