Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Facebook Integration

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Facebook Integration

vBullentin provides facebook integration, which does a few neat things:
    • It pulls in your facebook profile data into your ETS account which is limited to: Location, Interests, Activities, Bio, Birthday. It does NOT pull in your real name. Its just a nice way to quickly populate your account. (you can select which of these things get pulled when you first connect, so its non-invasive and respects your privacy)
    • If you arent logged into ETS, you can instantly log in by just hitting the facebook button.
    • There is a like button for threads.
    • When you create a thread, you have the option to publish the link to facebook as well.

It will be interesting to gauge interest in the posting/like feature. I think the account link feature will be great for many users personally.

(sorry johnbron)

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Also, when you click "Facebook connect" it lets me log in as you and prank your friends, and I can use photos from your private photo albums in the 2012 ETS Calendar. Just so we're clear.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I've integrated but I just stopped myself from liking it since it'll show up on Facebook, so make sure no one else does that until we're ready to open.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Also, when you click "Facebook connect" it lets me log in as you and prank your friends, and I can use photos from your private photo albums in the 2012 ETS Calendar. Just so we're clear.
    Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    I've integrated but I just stopped myself from liking it since it'll show up on Facebook, so make sure no one else does that until we're ready to open.
    That's a good point. Could lead to one big "oops!"

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Yeah, I've removed the like on threads for now. maybe if i can customize the button to the smaller like button and move it to the bottom so its not in the way.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm OK with the button being where it was. No big deal there for me. I like that we're getting all social and stuff. Any G+ integration for Johnbron?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm going to go with "no, because nobody uses G+." /troll

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    I'm OK with the button being where it was. No big deal there for me. I like that we're getting all social and stuff. Any G+ integration for Johnbron?
    I don't like linking social networks. Things like the constant Getglue, Foursquare and Tumblr posts on Twitter make me wish I could unfriend half of my feed*. I know the "liking" is different, but unless it's a link to some specific article, it's just another "Hey everyone! I'm on this other social platform as well and I think you should know... blah blah blah!"

I prefer the anti-social part of social.

*without also missing the content that most of these users post that I enjoy and appreciate.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbron View Post
    I don't like linking social networks. Things like the constant Getglue, Foursquare and Tumblr posts on Twitter make me wish I could unfriend half of my feed*. I know the "liking" is different, but unless it's a link to some specific article, it's just another "Hey everyone! I'm on this other social platform as well and I think you should know... blah blah blah!"

*without also missing the content that most of these users post that I enjoy and appreciate.
    You're so antisocial.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I don't like linking social networks. Things like the constant Getglue, Foursquare and Tumblr posts on Twitter make me wish I could unfriend half of my feed*.
    Fucking GetGlue. I hate everything about it and I haven't even gone to the website to learn about what it even actually does.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    There is now a Johnbron setting in user options. If you check the checkbox, it will hide the FB Connect button in the header if you aren't using it.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Bwahahaha! I just noticed this and thank you. I'm sure at least three or four people will like this feature.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    hehehehehehehe.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malechite View Post
    hehehehehehehe.
    Now I'm really laughing. :P

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm sure at least three or four people will like this feature.
    mmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMHHHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmm.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pequena View Post
    mmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMHHHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmm.
    Oh right! You're not on Facebook either?

*edit*
    And to reiterate, I was hoping for this option more because of a general dislike of everything being integrated and linked than because I have some issue with Facebook. <3
    Last edited by johnbron; 11-22-2011 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I am not a fan of integrating everything. I've always been overprotective of my privacy, plus, it sort of feels like the first step in assimilating into the Borg or something.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Hmm.....maybe now I should try and get a rally thread going with a title saying "POST HERE IF YOU AGREE JOHNBRON SHOULD COME BACK TO FACEBOOK" and see how many people we get.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Oh right! You're not on Facebook either?
    Oh I got her to come back. doesnt mean she likes it.

Also, The FB integration is really on there for an ease-of-use thing for users. I think many people will like to click and have some stuff auto populated. Its not the same as posting foursquare and getglue shit to twitter. I hate that. Its not like all your new threads and posts automatically go there (although there is a checkbox if you want to send a new thread to FB for some reason)

It also allows for a one-click login to ETS, if you are already logged into FB, which is my favorite part about it. FB Auth is kind of like Open ID hoped to be.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadezuki View Post
    I am not a fan of integrating everything. I've always been overprotective of my privacy, plus, it sort of feels like the first step in assimilating into the Borg or something.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Hmm.....maybe now I should try and get a rally thread going with a title saying "POST HERE IF YOU AGREE JOHNBRON SHOULD COME BACK TO FACEBOOK" and see how many people we get.
    This will NEVER happen, Keith. <3

Oh I got her to come back. doesnt mean she likes it.
    Haha!

Also, The FB integration is really on there for an ease-of-use thing for users. I think many people will like to click and have some stuff auto populated. Its not the same as posting foursquare and getglue shit to twitter. I hate that. Its not like all your new threads and posts automatically go there (although there is a checkbox if you want to send a new thread to FB for some reason)

It also allows for a one-click login to ETS, if you are already logged into FB, which is my favorite part about it. FB Auth is kind of like Open ID hoped to be.
    This all makes sense. Loads of people are going to find this a pretty nifty thing. Good stuff so far... EVERYBODY IS HAPPY INCLUDING ME YAY!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I'm going to start all my foursquare posts @johnbron @beat from now on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm thinking about JohnBron's hatred for stalking apps (54 others checked-in) bit.ly/H4t3r5 @GetGlue @JohnBron

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I'm going to start all my foursquare posts @johnbron @beat from now on
    I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by guilty View Post
    I'm thinking about JohnBron's hatred for stalking apps (54 others checked-in) bit.ly/H4t3r5 @GetGlue @JohnBron
    *spamming apps ;P

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    thanks for the "i fucking hate facebook" option!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    thanks for the "i fucking hate facebook" option!
    You are welcome!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I like.

It's a good addition but don't add Twitter or anything else. Keep it simple.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD View Post
    I like.

It's a good addition but don't add Twitter or anything else. Keep it simple.
    Naw. the only twitter is putting your twitter URL in your profile if you want to.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I saw, that's perfect.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Pssh, where's the MySpace and Bebo links

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Pssh, where's the MySpace and Bebo links
    hahahahahahahahahahaha